main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Learner - (JA, Q/O, AU) - *Part 6 updated* - *04/12/2006*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Trying to get my muse back on track...

Part III

When Obi-Wan awoke the next day, the Coruscant sun shone brightly through the transparisteel embrasures, touching upon as many objects in his tiny room as possible. His ships glinted, as did the shelves, and even the clasps on his small bag, in which he had made preliminary preparations to pack.

He sat up slowly, feeling rather refreshed, but knowing that he had no right to feel so. Something was wrong, he thought, as he stared up at the ceiling and his familiar quarters. The sun, the sky-lanes, the bright?

His heart sank and a sick feeling roiled in his stomach, as a heavy weight settled down in it suddenly. I am leaving the Temple. Forever.

He felt almost physically sick and had to stand up, wanting to rush to the refresher. Almost as soon as he had stood up and taken a step from his bed, his mind remembered the events of the night before.

He sat down abruptly.

Had Qui-Gon Jinn truly visited him last night? Had his ghostly form truly appeared? Had he truly spoken to him, a twelve year old, unchosen initiate, soon to be dismissed to the Agricorps?

And had he truly asked Obi-Wan to go to?to?what was that planet again? Yes, Tatooine.

He puzzled about this for a few moments. It still seemed remarkably otherworldy?well, it was?to be asked by a dead Jedi master to visit a world he wasn?t even familiar with.

He darted a swift look at his chronometer. There was still time for first meal. In the meantime?

He dressed swiftly, trying desperately to ignore the depression that seemed ready to take over his mind at the slightest excuse. I?m leaving. I?m leaving. I?m leaving. I?m leaving my home.

He shuddered, leaning heavily on the wall. Then, he clipped his light-sabre to his belt, opened the door and stood outside quietly, for a moment. Then, he walked towards the star map room.

Among all the rooms at the Temple, this was his favourite. He had spent many hours here, dreaming of the possibility of going to obscure and unknown planets on missions. There would be many worlds out there, each with its own problems ? Force knew there had to be happy worlds as well, but he always preferred to think of the ones overrun with wars, and faction-fights, droughts, earthquakes and terrorist attacks. It made it easier for him to envision himself as a Jedi knight, always wishing to help. One was always listening to stories of such missions, anyway.

He would help people. More than people, he would help anyone?anything?that wanted it. Even those who wanted it, but were too proud to ask him of it. Talk to Princes and Kings and dine with Ambassadors. But always, always he would help the people, the sentients of the system. He would be a Jedi, the stuff of which legends were made. And sometimes, when his fantasies became too involved, he would try to forcibly pull out the parts in his fantasies were everyone praised him for all the good he did ?Jedi did not act out of their own need to earn praise?and would always strive to guard peace. Really.

And so he had sat in this room, where the velvety blue ceiling curved above him in a dome. The only light came from the stars and planets that surrounded him, pinpricks against the blue in all the glowing colours of the spectrum. He had only to reach out a hand and touch a planet for a hologram to appear, detailing its physical properties, its surrounding satellites, and its form of government.

He pressed the control buttons and entered the dark precincts, his boots sinking into the soft mattress. He knelt in the middle, flicking his wrist to activate the room. Fortunately, no one else was occupying the room at the moment ? it was too early in the morning. Chances are that a Master would have been within, occupied with some research. That had happened, once or twice, and he had always waited respectfully, until said master finished his business.

I?m never going to see this room again.

He swallowed a lump that had appeared from nowhere, and brushed stinging eyes

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    How do I explain to you how much I love this story? There are not words to say. I loved that Obi-Wan still held hope that Yoda would choose him and yet Yoda did not and he still tried to be a Jedi. Even when his heart was breaking. Loved that Yoda couldn't figure out why he wanted to go to Tatooine and yet he must realize something is up. Why else would a kid bound for Bandomeer want to know about Tatooine?

Great job. I can't figure out where you are going with this but it's been a heck of a ride so far...

More please!

3. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    So sad; Obi-Wan still trying to be a Jedi when he's about to leave the place, and the last part just did it...I'm crying again.

I still can't figure out why Qui-Gon would want Obi-Wan to go to Tatooine. Something tells me it might have something to do with the prophecy, but the little brat isn't even born yet...

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Poor poor Obi-Wan. You described his sad situation so well. That his thoughts keep moving between his own loss and Qui-Gon's plea. I loved the little AOTC reference [face_love] and this part:

If he was ever going to go to Tatooine, that is. He was not. He was to leave for Bandomeer, where it was reported were mines of ionite and mining corporations and where he would learn to tend plants and use herbicides and pull weeds and water?

?It must take more than a moon to get there,? he mumbled.

I really liked that because it seemed like he was starting to let it sink in what he was going to be doing on Bandomeer, and it made him swerve back to Tatooine again. It was just great. =D= Can't wait for your next update, on any story. :D

5. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    *speechless* More soon please :) Awesome post.

6. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    He would not?

Not think of the Master who had appeared before him, last night. Who had said to him, sorrowfully, that he had been the only one to hear him. Who had asked him, as one Jedi, to another, to go to Tatooine. And who had not mentioned what he must go there for.

The yearning in Master Jinn?s eyes. They appeared in his mind?s eyes still. Deep, solemn, Shimmering.

Go, they said. Go.

Please.

[face_thinking] How could anyone ignore that plea?

You might think you are going to Bandomeer, Obi-Wan, but you'll end up on Tatooine! [face_mischief]

Terrific update, PA! [face_batting]

Star

7. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    He leant against a smooth wall, a great deal of distance from the map room, shuddering. Then he broke into huge, heaving sobs.

Aww, poor Obi-Wan. Lovely update.

-DS

8. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Amazing :) I really love this

9. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Great update, P_A.

10. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    You could never tell that you've been having trouble with this. Obi-Wan's emotions come through so clearly...as usual, I want to cry for him. *grins* Magnificent job as always.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    He leant against a smooth wall, a great deal of distance from the map room, shuddering. Then he broke into huge, heaving sobs.

Oh, poor Obi-Wan.:_| He needs some aid and comfort from ghostly Qui-Gon. I look forward to seeing what they'll be doing.

Sometimes the muse just needs to be dragged out, even if it's just a few sentences at a time.:)

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Poor Obi-Wan got nothing but cryptic comments from Master Yoda. Why Tatooine now?

13. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Awww, poor Obi! *cries* I loved the interaction between him and Master Yoda, and the bit about losing a planet made me giggle. Kudos for AotC reference! :D I can't wait to see how he gets to Tatooine (yes, I know I'm assuming that he'll eventually go) and I really wonder if when he'll see Master Jinn again.

I'm glad that you're continuing this, and I hope you update again soon!

Stormqueen

14. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    More please please please please princess. This is a brilliant idea and story and you can do it justice better than anyone, please continue!

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    *grin* Why, so I will. I was trying to decide which of the ones I've got floating around I should update. The Learner it is. :)

16. obi-gonjinn

obi-gonjinn Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2006
    Qui-gon commited suicide!!!!??????:eek: :_|
    and now he has joined the relm of the spooky blue ghosties[face_skull] woooooooowwwwwwww:eek:
    you are evil doing that to poor Obi :_| I bet he dosn't know whether he a comin or a goin[face_worried]

I LOVE IT AND CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!!!!

bravo@};- =D=

p.s i do hope it is a happy ending me thinks Obi will break soon 8-}

17. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Poor Obi--to leave the only home he remembers, to be stripped of friends and familiarity! Qui, get that ghostie thing figured out so you can talk to Obi more.

PA--Lovely, as always. More, soon? Please? [face_batting]

18. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Aw, I love the fic! :) You captured the character's emotions so well. I'm sad now, poor Obi, he doesn't know what's going on and Qui being vague isn't helping! Thanks for writing!!! *waits for update*

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I just discovered this wonderful story, and I think it surpasses your other stories (and that is saying a LOT!).

Wonderful and I can't what to see what develops.

=D=

20. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks for the replies and ups.

Part IV

Inside the Map Room, another figure stepped out of a dark corner.

Master Yoda did not appear to have noticed it, immersed as he seemed to be in the location of various planets. He was now putting a claw on some system that was in the exact opposite direction of Tatooine.

An indeterminate noise arose from the figure that had just stepped out.

Master Yoda paused. One ear waggled, as though in acknowledgement.

A grunt, followed by a shuffling movement. There was a sound that was somewhere between a question and a bark.

?Speak the truth you do, Master Tyvokka.?

A keening sound that stopped with a high-pitched, questioning blast.

?Know his destiny I do not.?

He is too young for any kind of destiny, came the answer. Wookiee Jedi Master Tyvokka had a perfectly functional Voice Transmitter with him that came programmed with dozens of languages floating round in the galaxy, not to mention Wookiee ? but it still gave him the greatest pleasure to speak in his own language, especially with one who understood it. With all the nuances intact.

?Surprise me, your answer does,? came master Yoda?s voice. ?Your gift for prescience ? tell you nothing about Kenobi, does it not??

I believe he has been sent away prematurely. He has not reached his thirteenth naming day yet, has he?

?No.?

He desperately wants to be a Jedi Knight.

?Want, a true Jedi must not. Accept his destiny, he or she must. Make a true Jedi this will.?

I doubt if Kenobi possesses enough strength of will or maturity to understand this.

?Doubt you do, the will of the Force, Master??

A bark that might be interpreted as laughter. Sometimes the will of the Force and your own will are indistinguishable, old one.

The flippancy in the tone was unmistakable.

?That is as it should be,? was master Yoda?s calm statement. ?Of my will, there is none. The will of the Force, supreme, it is.?

And then he cackled.

Master Tyvokka joined in. Your sense of humour in such a situation strikes me as unfitting.

They looked at each other for a long moment, facing each other for the first time in the conversation.

?Think you do, that I find this humorous?? There was a deep note of sadness in Master Yoda?s voice that echoed within the chamber. ?Think you do, that a promising student ought to be banished??

Master Tyvokka knelt on the floor, his massive frame a graceful form amidst the Jedi robes. I have not interested myself much in the hopes and dreams of initiates, thus far. That has been your province, Master Yoda. Most members of the Council believe you an able guide and teacher. His voice was carefully noncommittal.

?Hmm,? Yoda leant on his stick and looked away. ?Question my methods, you do??

Tyvokka, that Master of diplomacy, chose his words with care. I am aware of the supremacy of the Force in every walk of life. Know that I place the greatest value on your judgement. As I always have.

Yoda inclined his head.

On an impulse, I reviewed the records of Kenobi. He ? seems to have been an exemplary student.

?Well versed in the lightsabre arts, he was.?

I find it difficult to believe that he was not chosen, before this.

?To bind him with a suitable Master, I hoped.? The voice was even raspier than before.

And this Master?

There was a long moment of silence.

?Took his own life.?

Master Tyvokka drew a sharp, deep breath, the nasal sound echoing in the Map Room. Qui-Gon ? Jinn?

Silence, again.

His death was a great loss. His voice was low, and filled with tenderness.

?Dwell on what has happened, we must not.? Master Yoda?s voice was precise and clipped. Master Tyvokka noticed the swirl of sadness that seeped away from the room?s walls. It was gone in a second. He closed his eyes and opened them after a moment.

Plo regrets his death very deeply, still. As you know, they were friends.

?Had not many friends,

21. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Layers upon layers. I loved that the two masters both realized that Obi-Wan needed a master and that fate surrounded him. I loved, too, the memories of Qui-Gon and his brilliance in the Force. That Yoda wasn't willing to help Obi-Wan find a master is odd, though. Is he really going to let Obi-Wan go? Or is he going to help Obi to go?

Looking forward to more. Soon!

22. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Great update! I love how concerned they are for him, but at the same time Yoda feels that Obi-Wan *must* go.
    Hm, one question though. Qui-Gon's vision or impression of Anakin...was he seeing the future there? Because Anakin was born when Obi-Wan was sixteen years old... I'm a little confused.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you for updating!

23. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    So glad that you updated. Great conversation between Yoda and Tyvokka. You don't depict them as two-dimensionally devoid of feelings/apathetic. Your writing is always so intelligent.

I certainly hope that the Tatooine thing doesn't have anything to do with Anakin. Fat chance:p

Hope the bunny keeps biting you.

24. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Oh, brilliant. Intriguing, with little touches of humor (like the mention of the Wookiee language :)) that keep the narrative moving nicely. And your Yoda is wonderfully in character. I can't wait for more.

25. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    This is the best chapter so far. The other chapters were also brilliant, esp on how you portrayed Obi-wan's emotions - his intense disappointment, pain, etc. But what I really love with this chapter was the idea that Yoda's dice playing with people's fate is in a sense still dice-playing. There is much uncertainty against all the certainty he projects. I esp liked the line when Master Ty... (eh, I'm not sure what his name was...) noted that sometimes Master's Yoda's will and the fill of the force are undistinguisable. I think it capped the idea properly, that Yoda's not all-knowing and all-seeing. It also produced some wonderful tension between the two, and between the reader and Obi-wan. You're wanting to know what happens next, and now very worried as to what's going to happen to obi-wan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.