main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Led Zeppelin Discussion and Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Short Round McFly, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    I think Zeppelin deserves a thread of it's own :cool:

And this thread has been created for the discussion of... Favorite songs, the solo careers, Robert "Percy" Plant's new album and John Paul Jones' The Thunderthief, concerts and live recordings, the new live boxed set that Page is possibly going to be releasing at the end of this year, the rumored "Coda 2", and so on.

Entyway... My 10 favorite songs are, in order:

1. Thank You
    2. Tangerine
    3. Ten Years Gone
    4. All of My Love
    5. Achilles Last Stand
    6. No Quarter(TSRTS version)
    7. Kashmir
    8. Stairway to Heaven(TSRTS version)
    9. Celebration Day
    10. Since I've Been Loving You

Has anyone here caught any of Percy's The Who appearances yet? I recently heard his new single, Darkness Darkness, which really rocks although I hear he didn't play it in concert :( But he played Whole Lotta Love in concert :cool:

And I also heard that Page is planning a boxed set of live shows at the end of the year(YAAAAY!) and a DVD as well and the reason he hasn't been able to was because Percy didn't want to do it yet but has finally agreed. Wasn't Page talking about this since 1979? I also heard rumors about a Coda 2, and I'm not really sure about that, but the boxed set thing I find a big possibility in the near future and hopefully is true. And Coda 2 I think has more of a possibility of coming out than, let's say, Chinese Democracy by Axl :D

And about Pagey, he's down here in Florida as I speak. YAY! But I won't be able to see him unless I pay $150.00 to get into the charity dinner. And I hear his wife was really frustrated with fans trying to get autographs, but I could understand why. But at least it's good to know I'm not too far away from him. YAY!

2. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

No one's topped Zeppelin IV YET.

One of the all-time classic super-groups.

KASHMIR!

Oh yeah!

3. Muppet

Muppet Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    One of the greatest rock bands of all time! If not the greatest! I dont think any other band in the history of music has had 4 individually brilliant musicians who were just so perfect for each other.

My fave Led Zep album is Houses of the Holy.
    Fave song is Out on the tiles.

Ive heard about Pagey`s plans for a live box set for so long i had forgotten about it! If it does come out i will be amazed, but delighted.

4. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Led Zep rocks!!

If you guys have never read Hammer of the Gods I highly recommend it.

My favorite Zep album will always be IV, because I have some memories of awesome times that will forever be linked to IV in my mind.

As far as favorite songs, I don't know if I can pick one so I'll just list my faves:

No Quarter
    Going to California
    Rock & Roll
    Stairway (duh!)
    Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
    Since I've Been Loving You
    D'yer Mak'er
    Dazed & Confused
    Moby Dick
    All My Love
    Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin' Maid

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

5. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I love Zeppelin. IV is one of my favorite shows of alltime. One of my favorites songs is The Battle of Evermore. I love the mandolin there. And I'll be seeing Robert Plant along with The Who on Aug 30!

:D DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

6. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I adore Zeppelin!! I think that they are one of the most underrated bands when it comes to the younger generation of music lovers. Led Zeppelin IV is one of my favourite albums and probably one of the greatest albums of all time.

Here's my top 5 favourite Zeppelin songs:

1. Stairway To Heaven
    2. Rock n Roll
    3. Whole Lotta Love
    4. Kashmir
    5. Thank You

7. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Led Zeppelin is overrated IMHO. No disrespect just my thoughts.

8. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    ZEPPELIN ROCKS!!!! I always think of the whole Star Wars Saga as having the same structure as "Stairway to Heaven". When Han Solo shows up is when John Bonham's drums kick in and TESB is like Jimmy Page's immaculate guitar solo!

9. Ghent99

Ghent99 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, although Dream Theater is starting to get closer...
    I really think that they are the best band ever in terms of how all the band members meshed together and how they wrote songs. My favorite album has to be BBC Sessions, I mean the first ever performance of Stairway, all the great blues and stuff like Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker just rocked.

My Favorite songs:
    1. Thank You (live off BBC Sessions)
    2. Since I've been loving you, Stairway, Heartbreaker, Travelin Riverside blues, I can't quit you, You shook me, Kasmir, Rain Song, Achilles Last Stand and justa bout everyother song by Zepp.

For Zepp fans I recommend listening to "Zepp Medley" by Dream Theater. Its a mix of The rover, Achilles and Song Remains the Same. Its just plain awesome. It can be found almost anywhere you can find MP3's or on Dream Theaters album "A Change of Seasons."

My wish is that Zeppelin reunites for one last tour with Jason Bonham on drums (John Bonhams son). It'd be SO awesome, I would pay so much to see that concert.

10. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Two essentials are The Song Remains the Same and the BBC sessions.

What kind of music is Dream Theatre anyway? Some people have told me everything from prog to heavy metal. For someone who's never listned to them like me, where should we start (what album)?

And while you people are suggesting albums to me I've never heard a ful Led Zepp album beyond IV. I was turned off by much of the latter stuff from the greatest hits albums so I didn't venture into that territory. Of course I love Kashmir, No Quarter, and all but if there's a really good latter-day album, please enlighten me.

~PAd

11. Ghent99

Ghent99 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Well since this is a Zepp thread I wont spend too much time on Dream Theater but they are a Prog rock band unlike any other. They are in my opinion a mix of Rush, Tool, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Joe Satriani and classical music. They have imo the best drummer out there (Mike Portnoy) and a guitarist (John Petrucci) who can play just about anything speed wise but also has his own style. He was even on the last G3 tour...although you would only know about that if your a guitarist. There best albums are probably "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence," "Scenes from a Memory" and "Images and Words." Some songs I'd suggest are "Lines in the Sand" (live especially), "The Great Debate," and "The Glass Prison." Just about everything on the album "Scenes from a Memory" is good and it encompasses many different styles. I highly recommend it but if you do listen to it, do it all the way through and dont skip a track if you dont like it.

Back to Zeppelin: What did everyone think of Page playing with (barf) Fred Durst? I swear, that almost killed me. One of the best musicians ever playing with that idiot!

12. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    ACHILLES' LAST STAND off the PRESENCE album. How John Bonham maintaned that much high energy through those ten minutes is beyond me. It's amazing.

13. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, the fact that the guy from Puddle of Mudd did the rythm section definitly didn't help. *shudder*

Anyway, I love Zeppelin, they're my favorite band (together with Black Sabbath).

Presence is my favorite Zeppelin album...

14. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    I also think "Nobody's fault but Mine" off of Presence rocks.

15. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

All My LOve is easily the worst Led Zep song ever: in fact, I had once heard Jimmy Page had publicly disowned the song.

No Quarter is a great live album by the way; the best thing Plant and page have done since Led Zep split.

I saw Plant at Glastonbury this year: good gig, if not a bit sanctimonius.

16. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I'm not a big Led Zeppelin fan (I'm just not crazy about their style), but "Stairway to Heaven" is one of my all-time favorite songs...

17. ANAKINSOLO18

ANAKINSOLO18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    I have to agree with stecm when I think of led zeppelin I think of stairway to heaven that,s got to be one of my all time favorite led zeppelin songs plus his guiterist man I can,t remember his name but that man could play a mean guiter he,s got to be one of the best if not thy best guiterist I,ve ever heard play just my opinion

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Impossible it is to choose 5 or 10 top Zep tunes, even not counting Stairway. I'm a big fan of Ten Years Gone.

19. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    Jimmy Page is one of the best lead guitars EVER.

20. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I saw Robert Plant open up for The Who on Friday night! He was great, and played a total of 4 Zeppelin songs (at least that I saw).

Anyone else think that "The Battle of Evermore" is their most underrated song?

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm currently torn over which is the greatest band ever, Zeppelin or Aerosmith. I think Aerosmith wins just because of their longevity.

But it doesn't matter, they're both kickarse. :cool:

22. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Aerosmith? You can't be srious.

Though they need to be applauded for coming out with such Wildean songs in satire as "Love in an Elevator" and "Dude Looks Like a Lady".

23. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Aerosmith is a good band that's been around a long time. Zeppelin was a great band that ended quite tragically.

Most uderrated song? Dunno. Album? III.

Oh, and I love Tea For One from Presence.

24. AL

Aug 22, 1998

THree and Physical Graffitti are their best albums: they were on top form then. Following PG, they started to suck ass, gradually yet surely.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    AL, Agreed, their post-PG work was certainly not at that top-notch caliber, but to say it sucks is a bit extreme, IMO. Presence and ITTOD are better the than the best effort of many groups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.