main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Legacy of Darth Vader / Skywalker family secret?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    dunno never watched that one.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror"

Yeah. THAT bad.

Pfluegermeister and Ryus like this.
  3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Do yourself a favor, don't watch it... never find out. Keep a naive innocence about the idea.

4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Just because one movie from 1990 unsuccessfully executed on a plot point doesn't mean it should be avoided by all other films for the rest of time.

It'd seem strange to me if Vader/Anakin's legacy isn't somehow hovering over the ST. I feel like we sometimes lose sight of the notion that these nine films together are one saga, one story. I just don't see how you can spend the first third telling the story of Anakin's fall, the second third telling the story of his redemption, and then having the legacy/memory/mystique of that character abandoned in the last third.

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You mean beyond the legacy of any grandkids he might have, especially if they're exceptionally strong in the force? Or his son fixing his mistakes by rebuilding the Jedi Order and his daughter helping to rebuild the Republic? I think those plot points alone fill the Vader/Anakin legacy plot point checklist requirment.

Why do we need to focus on them being his kid as a big secret? Its been 30+ years and his kids did more than just about anyone else to undo his legacy. They earned a get out of jail free card for being daddies kids. An internal struggle due to Vader is one thing, an external due to people hating on them do to daddy is quite another since they long ago proved they are not little evil clones of him, they are their own persons who have choosen higher paths. The biggest external conflict Id like based on this idea is just internal Jedi Order politics worried that a dynasty might be forming so any grandkids are just going to have to proove they deserve to become Jedi Masters by ep IX.

6. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Speaking of Vader, did any other character in movie history take 4 people to play him without any shifting in time during the movie?
    in ROTJ Vader/Anakin was portrayed by Sebastian Shaw, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, and Hayden Christensen.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    James Bond says hello (6 actors and counting)

8. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I meant in 1 movie. Batman would give James bond a run if we're talking about all the movies of one character.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Umm... don't know, would have to research a single movies highest number of actors playing a single character. But technically Bond beats batman or Vader since 6 actors played him in a single continuity (7 in total since the latest bond is in a new continuity) which beats the 4 film actors to play Vader as a series total not a single movie total which is why I listed James Bond ;) , while say Batman was multiple continuities (can think of 7 movie batmans plus his kid flashbacks, so more actors but only usually 2 per continuity max). However both would lose to historical figures or mythological figures, like Lincoln, Jesus, Zeus, satan, Nepolean, etc... which have upwards of hundreds actors playing them in film in some cases...

10. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Vader as a series would be 5. Are you forgetting poor little Jake.:p

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

You forgot Bob Anderson, who was the master swordsman who did all Darth's fighting scenes.

12. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Well put. If Luke and Leia's existance were known, wouldn't it have been reasonable to assume that Palpatine would put out a contract to find them? If Vader would do that for Luke, it seems the Emperor would do the same.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    OBI-WAN: "The Emperor knew as did I, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."

So I'd say that Obi-wan had a good idea of what Palpatine would have done.

Jair Crawford likes this.
  14. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Don't forget Bob Anderson

15. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Either way, Vader's legacy does not need to be a driving plot point. In Russian history, every other czar was a maniac....and in between, were reformers. IF the Skywalkers are leaders in the galaxy, their position as reformers could be explained by a throwaway sentence.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think Luke becomes a hermit. He rejected the notion of ruling the galaxy alongside his father - yes, because Vader was evil - but I'd guess it taught Luke a lesson about corruption via power. So people might not care if he is Vader's son, because he will not play a role in galaxy affairs.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Luke as a hermit. I don't know why that idea pops up so often. It doesn't fit his character at all.

Luke will have his hands full with rebuilding the Jedi order and sending Jedi out to solve problems. That's enough challenge for two lives. He doesn't need to be involved in politics because why would he? Luke is no politician and doesn't understand a thing about politics. And he doesn't need to. The time of a political Jedi order is probably over.

Good thing there's basically zero chance that Abrams would go with a Luke hermit, the most boring and emo option possible.

Yoda hid in a swamp because the Empire, not because it's a Jedi thing to do.

Jair Crawford and Darth Raiden like this.
  17. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I know Vader's identity was known in the EU, but did they ever tell us exactly when and how the galaxy at large found out? Not that I think that's how it will happen now, I'm just curious how it was handled. All I remember was that it must have been revealed sometime before 11 years after RoTJ.

And I would like Luke and Leia to learn about their mother at some point. I do remember that happening in the EU. The prequels aren't my absolute favorite, but I also don't want JJ and co to pretend they didn't exist.

18. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    They could do a storyline where the identity of Vader was not revealed and in the PT it does. People could turn on the Jedi again?

Personally not a route i would like to see the movie go down but it is a possibility for a vader esk storyline.

19. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    A very interesting topic, think of the descendants of our own tyrants - like Hitler's or someone more present day - they likely just want to be left alone and deal with guilt. Many change their names. I know German's themselves deal with guilt as a culture even though we dont hold anything against them. We perhaps look back on the ones who were disceived and wish to learn form them. Even perhaps Skywalker is a bit of an outcast from society who view him suspiciously and distrust.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    this has been my thought. that luke is in isolation of his own choice.

21. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    A German friend told me the cultural sentiment equates to US' relationship to slavery. Made sense, as he put it.

I suppose Luke need not be a hermit, per se, but he doesn't have to operate publicly and/or on behalf of the government. The Jedi will NOT be part of the government. The order will be private.

22. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    What if you found out that president of the untied states grand father was a nazi war criminal and on top of that the president is also in the same weird religious cult as the grandfather, but he claims it's the good version of the cult.

This would probably apply more to Leia then Luke.

23. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    I think this could be an interesting plot point. I think it will be general knowledge in the New Republic that luke and leia are bro and sis. However, I'm not so sure they will let it out that they are the son and daughter of Vader. I think it if was known it could damage luke's reputation. Although that could be an interesting plot device for luke to struggle with. Maybe showing some stubborn aliens who dont' trust luke and he has to prove he's overcome his father's failings. I've read some EU, but does anyone recall any specific EU examples about the galaxy knowing luke's relationship to vader?

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. CaptainYorkshire

CaptainYorkshire Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2014
    that is definitely an interesting subject. I'd love to know more about the EU on this...as for Ep. VII i think i would like the universe to know. it gives an extra dynamic to his character and anyone hwo dislikes him can have this mindless prejudice of vader still and hate luke for it. could work interestingly - especially with naive young characters.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    A more interesting question i want to know the answer too, Would they know that Darth Vader was in fact Anakin Skywalker?

They could say that Anakin was killed by Vader during the great jedi purge.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.