main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Legacy of Darth Vader / Skywalker family secret?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Your That little story got debunked.

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This is not a trial. Most of us thought that user was just posting osme fan fiction. But even with that in mind, what he says a few things that could end up happening. You and I could have written some invented rumor based on what we know and it will probably end up being accurate as well.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    even if the story got debunked Kylo Ren could still be a Solo.[face_devil]

Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Apart from Dra--- who defended every point of it. It's almost as though....

5. DarthRuckus

DarthRuckus Jedi Master star 1

Nov 17, 2013
    As far as who knew of Luke and Leia's parentage before or during the OT, I'd say it was only Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail, Breha, Owen, Beru and Artoo. And I think that only Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail and Artoo knew that Anakin fell to the dark side and became Vader. I think that Owen and Beru just knew that Anakin was a Jedi and that the Empire had turned on the Jedi and were now recruiting children with Jedi potential (see SW:Rebels). When Beru says that Luke has "too much of his father in him" and Owen says "That's what I'm afraid of." I think she means that he wants to leave Tattooine and have adventures like Anakin did and Owen is afraid of that because that is what lead to Anakin not being home when Shmi was abducted and eventually why he was killed by the Empire. I don't think Bail would have told anyone else in the Rebellion because if they were captured, they might have revealed it and Leia would have been in danger. I imagine that some people close to Padme knew that she was pregnant and that Anakin was the father but I think she hid it from most people. After ROTJ, I imagine Leia told Han but I doubt anybody else knows even up to TFA. If Han and Leia had kids, they might know. If Luke trained apprentices, they might know. But otherwise, I don't think anyone knows. I could imagine Luke telling people that Vader was his father and then getting out of control in battle and the Rebellion suddenly deciding he is too dangerous and turning on him...

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Hey, crazy. This is a rumor and speculation forum. I liked that rumor and was trying it on for size, as we all should with rumors we like. Or even dislike. It's called an open mind.

Now give up your pathetic inquisitor act and take your McCarthy mind elsewhere.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I AM HERE TO ALTER PEOPLE'S TONE. COME AT ME BRO.

8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Where is the boxing gloves smiley? ^:)^

9. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Look, it's been 30 years. People have a short memory, and even if Vader was a "Hitler-Level" villain, many of the populace probably are consumed by other concerns. And even if there has been constant war or conflict, people will still likely only really be concerned with the most recent developments.

Consider the US and the Middle East. How often are the general population discussing Iran Contra or even the first Middle East War? Those are both within the overall time frame (give or take a few years).

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Have people forgotten Hitler? Is Hitler analogous to Iran Contra? Lots of untenable assumptions here.

Jcuk likes this.
  11. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Well, the 501st knew as well, since they accompanied the freshly promoted Lord Vader (pre-barbecue) to the Jedi Temple.
    I would rather see the Emperor as Hitler, Vader was more of an Enforcer that believed in the ideals of a non corrupt dictatorship (see his speech to Padme in AotC) and killed everyone that posed a threat to them

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Hitler did believe dictatorships were the best thing for the world though... people tent to believe that Hitler just wanted to watch the world burn... no matter how evil he was this isn't the case. I think Vader is fairly analogous to Hitler.

13. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    True, but Vader, from what we know as canon, was rather an agent of the Emperor's Will, than an active politican ("holding Vader's leash"). He is still little more than that foolish Jedi Knight that was duped by that political genius to betraying his friends and ruling the galaxy through terror. I could imagine him thinking: "This is not what I have signed up for..." In that regard he is more like the German public that made Hitler's rise to power possible and not realizing the true horror until it was already too late and there was no turning back: "It's too late for me/I must obey my master"

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Fair enough, but I don't think that it is until ANH when it was clear that he was not the most powerful person in the Empire and he clearly could not overthrow the Emperor. And even then he isn't really just 'oblivious' to the mass murder. I do think he believed in the Empire and I don't think he had any qualms about mass genocide, so I don't think he is equivalent to the German public who obviously didn't want mass genocide, didn't know its full extent and looked the other way. I mean he is essentially the equivalent to Himmler or someone like that - I don't think he had a problem with the Empire's methods and I think he would have continued it even if he were Emperor. He was in dilution about it all, but then so was Hitler to some extent.

15. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that Luke says it most clearly, when he states that he can feel the conflict going on in Vader. He got himself into a gigantic mess, because he wanted to save his wife and he saw no turning back after he helped Palpatine kill Mace ("What have I done?") He made himself believe that Palpatine would be best for the Galaxy, he would bring peace after all, even though he had to betray his former friends for that and countless people would have to suffer. Hadn't Padme died, I guess he would not have accepted Palpatine's rule, but Palpatine took the hope out of Anakin and forced him to embrace his anger. I truly don't see Vader as a Hitleresque villain. Vader was manipulated into his position and was the Emperor's tool, his trophy, the Chosen One of the Jedi turned into a Sith pawn. It can of course be argumented that Hitler, at least at the end wasn't more than a puppet and figurehead, but he still was way more active in his descension into evil than Vader was.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    LOL, I see what you did there. Now, who else is obsessed with Inquisitors?

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I assume you're joking now, or else your forum name is more literal than it seems.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Guys, enough. Move along.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. DarthRuckus

DarthRuckus Jedi Master star 1

Nov 17, 2013
    The 501st probably didn't know that Anakin=Vader though. Only Palpatine knew his Sith name and it probably would have stayed that way (like how very few people knew Palpatine=Sidious or Dooku=Tyrannus) except that Anakin was defeated to the point that he was no longer recognizable. Plus, he was so disgusted with himself for betraying everything that he cared about to save Padme and then killing her himself, that he abandoned the identity of Anakin Skywalker. The 501st might have been able to figure out that Vader had been Skywalker because they had seen them both fight but I don't think Anakin went by Vader with them until after Mustafar.

20. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    This is why I love Palps.

Such an evil sonofab*itch.

21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Will part of Vader's legacy lead to the Jedi being hated throughout the GFFA?

Some of have brought this up recently, and although I like the idea, I'm interested to see how it happens. In the OT and even in the new OT era novels, the Jedi don't seem hated. In fact, people seem to distrust the Empire's version of the Jedi betraying the Republic.

So I think something else needs to happen post-ROTJ. Maybe it's enough that people learn Vader was Anakin Skywalker, a former Jedi? Maybe people will even think Palpatine was a Jedi?

That might be enough to turn people against them, but then maybe there are planets/people in the galaxy who don't want to see the Jedi return, like the Mandalorians and Imperials, who spread propaganda about the Jedi, and smear Luke Skywalker's name?

As others have said recently, maybe this is why Luke is forced to go into hiding. Or at least, part of the reason.

The Legacy of Vader makes Kylo Ren want to become a Sith while Luke is forced to leave the stage.

TK327, Iron_lord, nightangel and 2 others like this.
  22. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Agreed, the Skywalker family secrets and who knows what ae one of the things I'm most looking forward to finding out.

Does Luke tell the truth about Vader?

Does Leia take on her real name or hide it?

Does anyone (beside the Leia and the gang) even know that Luke was on the Death Star or what really happened?

I would imagine that the truth getting out would make people wary and distrustful.

In fact, how many people (outside the upper echelons of the Empire) know for a fact that Palpatine is a Force user? That is never made clear.

Bail Organa obviously knew, but who did he tell? If it was common knowledge, or even only a widespread belief, that would make people suspicious of all Force users.

And it is possible that after the defeat of Palpatine, that people could look at Luke differently once the common enemy is gone (this will happen with races and star systems too). Perhaps they fear Luke was only using them to eliminate a rival.

A smaller band of Jedi, doing their duty depute the prejudice would be interesting. It would be a change from both the respected, mighty force of the Prequels, and the half forgotten legends of the Originals.

Dak Oolron, Iron_lord and nightangel like this.
  23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

yes, this would be interesting and the Jedi maybe needs to gain back trust in the ST. ;)

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love that Kylo's such a wacko that he's actually talking to his grandfather's melted helmet. Seems like Vader's legacy has a big role to play as it should be. This is why I loved the idea that von Sydow was playing Anakin (and still hope he is) because we'd have his dark legacy guiding the new villain while his redeemed ghost appears to our heroes.

25. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I could easily imagine Luke just simply telling his offspring that their grandfather was Darth Vader and a Sith Lord. The family might keep this part of their lineage a secret and just say Anakin survived Order 66 even though they are quite aware of what went on.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.