main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Legacy of Darth Vader / Skywalker family secret?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm more interested if they reveal Luke didn't kill the emperor and he willingly reveals his parentage telling them Darth Vader killed the Emperor defending his son after Luke refused to betray his father and replace him as the Emperor's Enforcer?

I imagine that might shock those Vader fanatics if they learn their idol died protecting his faithful son from an insane Emperor!

Jedi Merkurian and KDC1972 like this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The First Order could twist the facts anyway they wanted to if you think about it. If they're after Luke it wouldn't make any sense to tell the truth and have Luke be the hero. What truly happened in the Emperors throne room aboard the DS2 may only be known by Luke himself? But his true identity and his link to Vader may have been found out through other means. And that information can be used in any which way the First Order. Especially if they're after Luke in a big way..

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    That's where my head is at as well. Makes simple sense of things

Seeher and Hopeless like this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh so this possibility has been discussed already? Apologies :) I brought this scenario up in another thread a while ago, I guess it pays to read back through a thread before you post, just in case ;)

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I recall an in depth discussion about it a year ago or so.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    With the reports we've always known Darth Vader would have a legacy in Luke and Leia and possibly Kylo and Rey. And let's be clear: Vader was not the problem in the first two-thirds. He was the anti-hero and the solution to that problem. In the beginning he wanted to learn to conquer death and in the end he chose to affirm death after living a life in a prolonged, unnatural state. He saved Luke and was the Jedi returned. The question we should ask ourselves not 'Who' but "What is Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker's legacy?"

The dialogue in A New Hope suggests that he was a true believer in the power of the Force as opposed to the technological advancement and historical materialism pursued by Palpatine's secular technocrats (which is interesting considering he was a technological terror himself). That dialogue hints at some spiritual remnant inside the machine. Second, he desired to rule the galaxy. Third, he desired the power over life and death. There is no doubt that Palpatine pursued the same ends, but chose the wrong acolyte. Perhaps Palpatine knew enough about the Living Force to survive or maybe he neglected to heed the moment due to his preoccupation with the future and precognition. It's ironic. He could prophesize future events, but he could not foresee his own fate or that of his apprentice.

Anyway, it may be that Kylo pursues the same goals, but probably to some noble end, identifiable on a human level. We know he's sentimental. That doesn't suggest he's the ultimate problem in the ST. On the contrary, it suggests he's being manipulated, especially if he's the new Darth Vader. We also have a political leader who is his superior. He demands action from Kylo and pushes him along in the cause. Kylo might be Darth Vader as he was meant to be, sure, but as Rey says "You'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader!" and that makes sense. The question is still up for debate: Who represents the ultimate problem in the ST and/or the Saga? I would suggest the legacy of his desire to conquer life and death is probably at the heart of the problem, which is a major theme in all the films, alluding to a specific Sith in Revenge of the Sith. Was it a tragedy or a triumph? I contend our knowledge insufficient at this time.

Also, I can foresee learning something new about Anakin/Vader and the Skywalkers in the ST which would give us some insight into the ultimate problem and its representative in the saga. At this time I view Supreme Leader Snoke as circumscribed to the current narrative outline and have yet to see evidence for a connectivity beyond. I certainly don't view such a notion as outlandish or even controversial. Darth Vader's legacy is a mysterious subject if you think about it. I like the idea that the ultimate problem is the desire of the villain to destroy of the Skywalker bloodline as an attack on the Force itself. Anakin's destruction the most significant step toward that goal and a probable reason for Luke's exile in the island. Obviously any legacy descendant has the mark for termination, including Kylo. Division and conflict creates opportunities for Skywalker blood to be shed and eradicated from the galaxy.

minnishe and hitmbig like this.
  7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't, and I've been here for a couple of years. Link?

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it was either in this thread, or that a separate thread for it got merged into this thread.

Jcuk likes this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, it was in this thread.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

I doubt anyone even knows DV was Anakin Skywalker. Sounds like something that the rebellion (if even THEY knew about it) would keep secret, lest they tarnish their great heroes Harvey Dent style.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    I think in 18+ years, figuring out whom Anakin is as Vader, would have happened in some circles. But circles of people whom would not care/ and or dare to speak of it in fear of reprisal from him and or the Emperor. Even Tarkin, so far in the book, figures out whom he is and doesn't want to say.

Vader has a sense of taboo about him.

With so much new canon bridging the gaps of the current time line, I'm sure something will pop up.

12. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Vader could be like Jack the Ripper...100+ years later, we still don't know who he is.

I haven't followed any spoilers, really, so this may be off. But it could be interesting to see some plot discussion over, "who WAS Darth Vader?" Maybe that's an impetus for Kylo, Smope, et al. They worship Vader; now, someone naturally wants to know who he was.

HankSolo likes this.
  13. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Interesting premise. Perhaps we could see a HoloNet clip...."In search of Vader".

14. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    As far as the Skywalker family secret goes -- I for one can't wait for the moment in TFA (or Episode 8 or 9) where Rey's parentage is revealed.

Even now I can hear the cries of a chorus of angry geeks, when they learn that Abrams and Kasdan have shamelessly ripped off Game of Thrones. [face_devil]

Tosche_Station likes this.
  15. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    What do you mean? [face_mischief]

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  16. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Surely a person as smart as yourself can figure it out, yes?

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Maybe one of the hero's kids (Leia or Luke) finds out about their grand fathers past and their curiosity about that draws them down the path of the dark side.

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I have no clue. I'm innocent and naive. [face_whistling][face_devil]

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Maybe the First Order hierarchy knows Anakin killed Sidious and wants revenge against Anakin and his relatives for the betrayal.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    What? All the main characters are going to be killed off? :p

21. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    With regards to the First Order, does anyone think this was Vader's idea to begin with?

I mean, to obtain absolute power I am sure it was Vader's intention all along to overthrow Palpatine (he tells Padme this prior to the Obi-Wan duel and also tries to have Luke join him later on) and create some new entity. Maybe it was Vader himself who conceived the idea of the First Order.

And now its Snoke and Kylo who are carrying it through.

22. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Man I have been off this board for a long time dealing with health issues, and although I am severely confused, I am so happy there is so much new info to discuss. Even though alot of what I've read thus far (which isn't much) is speculation, I'm sure it is based in actual details that are known now, compared to what was known last time I signed on here. Good to see some of the familiar names I remember and can't wait to dive in to all this new info and what is legitimately KNOWN at this point and compare the theories that have come from them...Feels great to be returned from medical hell/exile lol...

SkywalkerOG and Jcuk like this.
  23. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I think deep down, Vader knew he couldn't turn Luke. His one big shot at it was on Bespin. And he failed. And it was that encounter that sowed the seeds for his eventual redemption IMO. Luke's will was strong, despite his lack of adeptness in the force and Vader knew deep down that, from that moment on? He wouldn't ever get Luke to yield. Only would Palpatine hold the power to possibly be capable of achieving that. I do however, think Vader had dreamed of an ideal. With him and Luke. But I don't believe it was what we now see as The First Order.

24. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Surely I have made my meaning plain? If not, I shall deprive you of your naivete.

Daisy Ridley's character (Rey) is the product of an incestuous relationship between Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. That's why Han and Leia are estranged at the start of the film.

As for Kylo Ren... can anyone say "Joffrey Baratheon"?

25. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Welcome back! What's new info for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.