main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Legacy of Darth Vader / Skywalker family secret?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Rancor

Darth Rancor Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2013
    This is just a thought, but what if to spare Leia, the twins decided not to reveal their relationship as brother and sister. that would allow her to have a political career without the stigma of being Darth Vader's daughter. or maybe they made a pact to never reveal their relationship to Vader at all. this easily supply familial angst amongst any grandchildren when they finally learned the truth.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That was my personal canon until it was disproved by the novel (or at least the spoilers I read of the novel on here). I do like how ambiguous the movie plays it. Or, heck, when Palpy flat-out looks at him when he says "to use the midi-chorlians to create life" it really leaves it up to the viewer to decide that.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hope is meaningless. To the mother of dead children killed in the conflicts, ideologies are irrelevant. If the galaxy being in a state just as bad as at the time of the Empire is depressing, at least to me. Sure an invading force would destroy peace, but at least the galaxy would've had peace for about 30-40 years and that is worth much.

I was thinking more of a Mandalorian invasion, maybe by the children born of the clones. I think that would make for an organic conflict. Or Vader's legacy could play some role.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    phatdude1138: Good post.

I get what you're saying about no politics in the ST. But I doubt they'll be so absolutist about it. Politics to some degree has always been a part of SW, even if part of the background. In ANH we get this nice quick line or two about the Emperor dissolving the Senate. So it's not like we need all these back and forth debates in the Senate. There's a difference between showing a political process and showing politics. The PT was interested in process, and I think that's what turned some people off. Although personally, that was one of the more interesting aspects of the PT.

Now, something to keep in mind is that blackmail or withholding the truth about Vader are not boring senate debates. They hold a lot of dramatic potential and relate directly to the Skywalker family -- not mind-numbing (for some) discussion of taxes or trade.

But anyway, as you say, this aspect might not be necessary to show in the ST. It might work best just to keep this tension at the family level, where it feels more personal.

Although personally I would like to see it. Maybe Leia is presented with the choice of stepping down from being Chancellor or else the information will be revealed. Once again corruption in the Senate would be one of the key tensions, or even an inciting incident. It could be made exciting: someone bad learns our heroes secret and rushes to release the info, or even tries to make a grandstanding speech in the Senate, asking for a vote of no confidence in Leia and the Jedi. Maybe we open one of the films with the Skywalker kids trying to stop this from happening in a race through the underworlds of Coruscant. Maybe a descendent of Jabba gets his revenge on the Skywalkers this way?

Anyway, it doesn't have to be boring.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No it was not that the politics side and the process turned people off, more that it was told so badly and did not make a bit of sense.

Rome is a brilliant show regarding telling a story about politics and the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire, the PT was not.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, however you perceive the politics in the PT, it doesn't mean the ST can't do politics in a different style. Plus, the content is a lot different, more dramatic.

By the way, as Darth Rancor stated above, it would be fascinating to learn that Leia has never come out as a Skywalker, but is still living as a daughter of Bail Organa.

You have to wonder what Padme's family knows about Anakin and Darth Vader, and whether Leia or Luke will have any connection with them.

Echo-07 and Immortiss like this.
  7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The idea of having Padme's family (or some group in Naboo) come into play could be interesting, but I personally hope the familial saga looks more forward than backward.

I don't know if they'll go Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin, but something along those lines with that generation as the real central figures could be great.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Looking forward is good, but let's face it: if anyone has an undying hatred for Anakin, it would be Padme's family.

Then again, I imagine Vader's enemy list would be too long for this forum.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Padme's family all lost the will to live after Padme lost the will to live.

Because **** you that's why!

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Hilarious. They all just stopped breathing.

And then we all lost the will to live.

Hey, at least we looked great doing it.

11. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    If no one knew Vader was a Skywalker but 20 people in the entire GFFA -- how would they find out once he was dead?

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Someone has to rat.

Or Luke just tells everyone.

That would be a mistake.

I_Love_Scotch likes this.
  13. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Perhaps he gets all boozed up at a govt. function with a bunch of senators and spills the beans. Blacks out, wakes up in his bed and thinks to himself, "did I say anything I shouldn't have last night". Game on.

14. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    What will Vader's legacy be? Stronger than the Sith's legacy.

Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a good point.

Although I have to say that communication and media in the GFFA confuse me. We live in a world today where privacy is more and more rare, yet in this technologically advanced world of SW, we're supposed to believe that nobody knows basic things like who the Sith and Jedi are.

purplerain likes this.
  16. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    His true identity would probably be politically kept quiet, but I can't imagine the New Jedi Order not knowing about it. The history of Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader has a lot of valuable lessons that the New Jedi Order could benefit from studying. Both from the mistakes that Anakin made, AND the mistakes of the Jedi of old that worked with him made.

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    What you're identifying are some key organic tensions of the Saga that could work well in the ST.

People have different interests. How will they resolve them? Can they be resolved?

If the Jedi Order has this knowledge but doesn't share it with the Republic, that's something that could be exploited by their enemies.

Immortiss and Jair Crawford like this.
  18. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    That's true. Especially if they go with a 'The Chosen One has unfinished business in the Netherworld' take on the story-arc. All that history becomes even more important and sensitive.​

19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Dra--- on the flip side, information is also controlled with greater efficiency. Some decide what the rest of us will know. You said it yourself, knowledge is power. The Empire controls the means of communication, therefore Luke is like, "The Force?"

Well, Luke and Leia are Vader's legacy. Luke did away with the Sith. So, yes.:p

20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a good point, Immortiss, but I'm also referring to the PT and how people don't really seem to know anything about the Sith. Although the Sith had an empire at one point, right?

And you're right that the Empire must have a strong ability to control information in the OT -- controlling what people think on a galactic scale and what that would entail is hard for me to imagine. China has been able to achieve something like that with their tight control of the internet, which many thought would lead to more free thought.

But considering the kind of tech we have in the GFFA, I don't see how rebel forces wouldn't be able to tap into information networks and disseminate anti-Empire information.

But a more basic question is how did the Empire in a couple of decades make people forget (largely) about a Jedi Order that had lasted for a thousand years? That would entail much more than information control, but the destruction of galactic databases and memory. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the specifics are something we haven't really seen yet.

Related to Vader, now with the Empire presumably gone, I don't see how a free media with high tech wouldn't uncover his identity before long.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Well the Sith wanted to be inconspicuous and thought destroyed. So no problem there. I mean there the stuff of legend at that point. It appears that Leia, Han and Tarkin knew of the Jedi or at least the Force users involved. It would be interesting to see how Leia found out about Obi-Wan and his whereabouts. But again, as you said, this is more fantasy than reality, right?

Besides, I like the spilling of secrets idea by the kids or something related to human transgression or accidental incident.

Darth Raiden and Dra--- like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with the hyperbolic responsiveness of wanting no politics. Because, I also want the series to change its name to simply STAR.

I am very much looking forward to a politic-free STAR: EPISODE VII.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    People can be very forgetful when it is necessary for survival.

Mystery_Roach and Dra--- like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I personally want it to be called Super Happy Fun Time Episode VII.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    S---: EPISODE VII: Dance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.