The Legality of Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RebelJoseWales, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    As far back as TESB, we've seen bounty hunters running around offing/capturing people with little or nothing in the way of legal restraint. And, in Bloodlines, it is explicitly stated that bounty hunting is legal in the GA (although we never get a description of the actual legal definition of bounty hunting or any restraints upon it). Does this mean similar professions, like mercenary work are also legal? Or are the bounty hunters around LotF more akin to real-life bounty hunters (chasing down people who skip out on bail)? Why is this profession legal? What implications does this have for the GA's legal system?
  2. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Star Wars is influenced by the Old West, Rebel Jose Wales. Basically, anything that was in movies is probably in existence somewhere in the Star Wars universe. Bounty Hunting is legal in the Old Republic because individual planets could set their own laws, Bounty Hunting is legal in the Galactic Empire because the Galactic Empire needed all the help it could get in crushing all the resistance to its reign of terror, and the New Republic/GFFA is the same as the Old Republic.

Mercenaries are confirmed to have been legal in the Old Republic, New Republic, and Empire periods as well.

Basically, they're viewed as unsavory reputations but hiring for combat is something determined by the planet's laws in question.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    [image=http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/images/dog_bountyhunter_returns.jpg] [image=http://blogs.abcnews.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/04/blackwater_helicopter_071119_main.jpg]

Why would it not be legal?
  4. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    Pretty much everything you could ever want to know about either profession can be found in either Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim or Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters.
  5. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    To be fair, both books have been out of print for a very long time.
  6. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    But in this, as in so many things, SW and real life diverge. Everyones favorite showman can only work inside the US, and Blackwater can only work for the US. Mercs and bounty hunters in SW, on the other hand, run around pretty much wherever they please.
  7. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    Legal bounty hunters have worked in the OR, Empire and NR.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    As far as I know, the OR didn't care about the Mandalorian's various mercenary jobs until Galidraan.

I imagine that the rule for that is "so long as you're fighting an actual opponent and not carpet-bombing civilians, it's okay."

I've found it very curious the OR evidently never hassled the Death Watch at all. They're basically terrorists devoted to overthrowing the Republic. :p
  9. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    Probably they had connections. The corruption of the Old Republic at the time appears to have been everywhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  11. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    And you have to keep in mind that they were a splinter group of a mercenary culture already suffering from a long decline. Ambitious as they may have been, they never really had any chance of taking over the galaxy.
  12. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, also true. Still it's a shame they didn't last til the Clone Wars, only to be mowed down by Jango Fett clones.

:p
  13. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I can see it now: the Geonosis arena, Death Watch members mowing down Jedi, and out of the blue a hundred thousand Jangos land with the intent to kick ass, take names, and chew bubblegum. What a shame there's no bubblegum in SW.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I was thinking more that mentioned battle in the Clone Wars comics where Secura's troopers mowed down the 212 Protectors Shysa was supposed to be part of.
  15. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Meh. I like my version better. More irony.
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    No, there's more irony in the Death Watch replacing the 212. ;)
  17. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    How 'bout a shark who learns to surf in order to impress his friends, but ends up getting eaten by them because they think he's a surfer? Or if guns didn't fire bullets, but instead a healing salve that cured all wounds? Or if we were all made out of iron?
  18. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    They don't have to take over the galaxy in order to take over a huge chunk of it.

Especially when the Old Republic was only propped up by Jedi.
  19. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Keep in mind that there are all kinds of radical groups around the world whose ostensible goals are the elimination of the United States, and a lot of them barely pop up on our radar. Now extrapolate that to an entire galaxy.
  20. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    But in Open Seasons their stated goal was galactic domination. Even assuming Traviss numbers for the total Mandos and that a sizable portion of the population was Death Watch, there'd be only a couple million of them total. That wouldn't be enough to effectively rule a single planet (assuming roughly the same population as Earth), much less threaten a Galactic government.
  21. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    That doesn't mean that they have to do it all by themselves. The original Mandalorians nearly conquered the galaxy by sublimating local armies, criminals, and other people into the Mandalorian ranks. Likewise, you don't have to conquer the entire galaxy AT ONCE either.
  22. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    What would their status be in the Unknown Region?
    The Tof,Chiss,SSi-Ruk,Nagai and soo on,whats their policy on bonuty hunting.

23. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Exactly. The Mandalorians are now strongly aligned with the Verpine and the Galactic Alliance, and also seem to be producing Battle Droids alongside the Verpine according to Lando in Millennium Falcon. This may not prove to be as far fetched as it sounds.
  24. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I figured that Vizsla's idea was that the Mandalorians would conquer a bunch of surrounding worlds, build up their ranks, and basically rebuild the Mandalorian Empire one world at a time. The Jedi Knights would almost certainly intervene but a couple of million Mandalorians might be able to deal with them and the Republic was powerless without them.

More likely, in the era of corruption that existed, the Republic would also choose placation of the Mandalorians ala Chamberlain. We saw Borsk do it to the Vong and it would have the exact same results on the Mandalorians.

They could eventually conquer the galaxy in a few generations.

Saying they intend to conquer the galaxy is a good rallying cry, but you can take the long view of these things.
  25. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    One thing about the dozens of groups that threatened to overthrow the Republic: The Mandalorians, I believe, were the only one of these groups to actually nearly carry through on that threat on several occasions.

I suppose it goes to show just how screwed-up the Republic was.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.