main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So how about that metal in Korra's body still? That was crazy right? Crazy.

cdgodin, CooperTFN and Coruscant like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Precisely -- all the perils of entrenched rules without the established tradition of wise government, delegated power, and stability of rule.

Just the Fire Nation royals, actually. It's an atypical circumstance, as the Fire Nation of the time -- as a matter of policy -- did not acknowledge or respect other nations' governing institutions. If this is true of the Earth Kingdom, then it is doubly so for the last surviving chief of a decentralized tribe that the Fire Nation treated like a conquered people. It would be exaggerating to call Sokka and Katara royalty, but they are still children of a chief; attired in walrus rather than ermine.

Yeah, I saw the crowds in The Triumph of the Will too.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Knowing avatar, it's probably Walrus-ermine. ;)

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not seeing either Wu or Kuvira to be a preferable ruler, though Kuvira would be more competent. Bit that competency is what makes her so dangerous.

Maybe they'll elect Toph at the end of the season.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The thing about Wu is, he seems like such a nascent Joffrey-in-the-making. Sure, it could be very good for him that he's gone through a very humbling process with his lackluster and ultimately thwarted coronation, but does that roll back 15-20 years or so of just acting like a general ****? Who knows, it's an awful risk.

7. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Would Joffrey be friends* with his commoner bodyguard, instead of treating him as a disposable servant, if Joffrey even bothered to note his existence? Would Joffrey express sympathy that said bodyguard had a fight with the bodyguard's brother while in the middle of his own depression from being usurped, especially if the brother is working for the person who did the usurping? Would Joffery, upon being told that he wasn't a very good leader in the middle of freaking out over the usurpation, go "I guess you are right, I appreciate your honesty"?

Which brings me back to Wu vs Kuvira: that last line alone makes Wu better than Kuvira.** When someone disagrees with him, his takes into consideration instead of just threatening people.

*Well, Wu thinks they are friends anyway.

**Though, admittedly, I am spending far too much time around Jello.
    I remember when Yin asked Mako why he wasn't dating either Asami or Korra I was like "Your grandson is a street cop born from a poor Ba Sing Se family, and who used to be a criminal. They are the head of one of the world's largest corporations, and the divine guardian of the world who is also a princess to boot. He is absurdly lucky to have seen them, much less date them."
    Then I was like "Oh god, I am thinking like GrandAdmiralJello "

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Joffrey has acted like that. You know, in the conciliatory, mature manner. Remember when he gave Sansa a necklace to make up for some previous trouble of his own instigating? Of course, that was pure, cold calculation. We really don't know that about Wu, and that's my whole point. Wu's a big, fat unknown, but what we've seen him of so far is that while, yes, he sometimes acts very admirably, he still mostly acts petulant, entitled, and bratty.

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'd take a spoiled brat who can still see reason over an evil twisted psychopath any day.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That was because his mother told him to, and did so for said cold and calculating reasons. Wu was genuinely sympathetic.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Exactly what type of bending did Kuvira invent? She would be crushed like a bug by the great Toph Beifong should she ever deign to lower herself to fight someone as insignificant as Kuvira. Toph is connected to the Earth in a way Kuvira could never be.

Even Kuvira knows how important the Beifong line is. Hence why she has chosen Suyin's son as her consort so that her rule may be legitimized and her offspring may be of the Beifong lineage. She may decry the idea of monarchs, but she has no problem marrying noble blood.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I feel like Kovera will be the New Hitler of the Avatarverse.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ozai was Hitler; Kuvira is Stalin.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

This is a better comparison.

cdgodin and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is a thing of beauty.

16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I think she is supposed to be Chiang Kai-shek: ended a period of wardlordism and banditry, extremely nationalist, ended the world's longest lasting monarchy after using the monarch to gain some legitimacy for him/herself, and her troops dress like Kuomintang soldiers.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My historical analogy powers only extend to white people.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD, LEWS THERIN! I'M NOT MAD YET!

*ahem*

Sorry.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Hmm, is the Avatar Annotated blog still running? I was following it during Korra book 1, and the guy made some convincing comparisons between Korra / the RC government being the KMT to the Maoists of Amon.

Anyway, I see the Stalin comparison only insofar as her interest in tech -- but she doesn't seem to have a wide-spread industrialization plan going or anything like that. There's little evidence she's going for purges, either. The Hitler thing is superficial too, of course: I make the comparison solely on the basis of the cult of personality and the thing with the banners. Wocky's obsession tied into that.

But you're probably right that CKS is the closest overall fit, esp. given the whole Qing aesthetic of the EK that's been going on since the original show (and reconfirmed with the dress style of the ministers we saw in the last episode).

Kuvira is more generically a totalitarian ruler with aspects borrowed from many familiar archetypes (as listed above), with CKS as the best overall model.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The reason I thought of hitler first was because of the Hail kovera.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I really am deeply ashamed and embarrassed by this whole thing. I only wish that Kuvira had a more eloquent, competent spokesperson than myself on these boards. I wish someone could make you see why I like her so much. That you could understand the source of my confidence that she is the perfect leader for the Earth Empire. She deserves so much better than all this.

Coruscant likes this.
  22. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll start pulling for her if she starts shouting "Imperius Regina!" In battle

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Episode 4: The Calling...

This was good...and that was about it. Wasn't great, but wasn't a waste of time episode. Stuff did happen, but nothing to the extent of the first three episodes. The episode does fulfill one of the things I was really looking forward to the most in The Legend of Korra until now: spending an extend time with Jinora, Ikki and Meelo.

Episode starts out with the three kids packing for their trip atop Pepper, Jinora's Sky Bison. Pema is naturally worried but Ikki points out how they're the same age as Aang and the original group during their time. Tenzin needs to stay in RC to resolve the Kuvira issue. We spend a good chunk of the episode following the three kids: Meelo tries to act tough, while Ikki is hyperactive and Jinora the grouchy leader/babysitter who is meditating and Astral searching for Korra, but she can't pick up her energy.

We follow the kids for some time as they search through towns. Best comedic scene in the entire episode is Meelo flirting with a girl and the girl clearly interested in him, giving him a flower before the three kids have to depart. Meelo is mad at Ikki for her teasing. At an Earth Empire territory, Meelo throws away the prepared food and Ikki is annoyed and runs off to look for food while Meelo does the same and Jinora meditates. Ikki befriends a flying squirrel, and is captured by two of Kuvira's soldiers. Both are clearly bored being stationed out in the boonies while Ikki plays nice with him. They disclose that Kuvira is mobilizing to take Zaofu, and that troops are stationed everywhere except for the swamp. Jinora and Meelo rescue her and they set out to search the swamp.

Korra meanwhile is getting no help from Toph, who demands her to get food from the swamp. Along the way she gets visions of Amon taking her Airbending away,, Unavatuu taking Raava out her, and Zaheer poisoning her. Korra is strained from these visions, and Toph decides to take her to the banyan tree, confirming that this is the exact same Swamp from the TLA. She connects with the tree and sees the airbender kids, who in turn see her. They kids and Korra reunite, with them being introduced to Toph. Toph immediately takes a liking to Meelo's bluntness.

Throughout the episode Toph has been telling Korra about how Korra's previous experiences have gripped her in fear. Toph gives her a pep talk at how Amon, Unalaq and Zaheer all had their goals, but lacked balance, something Korra is lacking too. She is far gone back into the past and is afraid to let go of these fears because of them. At Toph's dwelling, Korra decides its time and Toph tells her she has to do it herself. Korra is shaky at first, but she eventually forces all the remaining metal out. Thus, Korra departs with the airbender kids, and Toph is happy to have peace and quiet once again.

24. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I hope they remember to explain that chained up, evil version of Korra that was following her around before.

And Meelo is just plain annoying. Probably my least favorite character in either show.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Usually, these Airbender-only episodes are so painfully boring your can't watch in one sitting. The last one literally spurred the cancellation of the program. So I'm happy to report that, relative to all that, this was a huge step up in quality. I still wouldn't rank it as a "good" episode, but it was passable. Tenzin's children were tolerable, there were a few nice moments, and the ending was great, even though there wasn't really much build-up to it at all.