main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    What do you mean "usually?" This is only the second Airbender-exclusive episode we've had so far.

I actually enjoyed Original Airbenders more than this one, truth be told. :p

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like the Airbender family, so I thought it was a great episode. Korra's resolution did feel really quick, but they've already spent a few episodes on it. Would've been better if the transition were spaced out better but oh well.

Also I have to say I really don't care for the new Airbender leotards. They look like circus performers -- I miss the flowy robes :(

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  3. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Just watch what'll happen later on if we get a future Avatar series set in the modern world. We'll see people wear the Avatar equivalent of Crocks. THE HORROR!

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I'm convinced that was Raava trying to get Korra to heal her. The Chained Korra leads her away from Republic City, into an Earth bending arena and then eventually into the swamp where she's dragged down to meet Toph. Seems like this thing was trying to get Korra healed and the fact it was Korra in the forced Avatar state makes me think it was Raava whom Korra said she couldn't connect with. Once she bent the metal away, she immediately went back into the Avatar state and reconnected.

Toph!Yoda was great. I loved how she introduces herself to the kids: "Your grandfather was pain in my butt!" and then her immediate liking of Meelo was great as well. While we have seen a few episodes with Katara, and Zuko, Toph definitely felt far more developed in her two and one quarter appearances than the other old members of the Gaang. Part of me hopes she does make one last appearance before the end of the series, but if not, it was just as well leaving her on that last scene where she finally can get some peace and quiet.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One big weakness I thought was not having Toph address the many controversial things they've raised about her in this series. How does she feel about the bitter rivalry between her daughters? What about her own incident of corruption in destroying a police report? Does she regret anything in her life? Does she wish she had a chance to know her grandchildren? It was interesting that they took Aang off a pedestal and gave him some errors in life to wrestle with. They seem to have done the reverse with Toph, first pointing out flaws but now ignoring them to canonize her as Korra's mentor. I hope they come back to this.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    In order: she doesn't care; also doesn't care; no; and no.

Toph don't care. She's living the life in her swamp house.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I felt like quitting twice in this episode.. Admittedly it was nice to see Ikki get some focus since she is the most neglected of the kids, but still.. there had to be someone better capable of finding the Avatar than these three. At least send someone else with them.

Toph has never been a favorite character of mine, something that didn't change with this. Kind of disappointing after the warm "twinkle toes" welcome.

I guess Korra's going to face Kuvira now.. I think it's good that this is the final season of LoK. It just feels due for an ending.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Good episode tonight. While I really liked the part with Asami, I feel like they would have fit better in a different episode, with more of a focus on Zaofu today.

But damn, has prison life been hard on Hiroshi.

Ghost likes this.
  9. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I feel like despite things happening in this episode, nothing happened.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am heartened that the Lady Kuvira, acting in righteousness, has won the support of the Avatar. Really, though, my favorite part of the episode was the flashback. Her evident passion about helping the rest of Earth Kingdom was really moving in a way that the other stuff in this season has not really matched.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So Korra's still an idiot.

darthcaedus1138 and Lord Vivec like this.
  12. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Is she? She really hasn't done anything

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    She is trying to broker peace, and she's doing so without favoring either side unduly. The only thing that's happened here is that while Kuvira believes in upholding the law, Bei Fong has reverted to criminality and violence, like she always does.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It's just bad luck then that the one time Korra may be required to go in, guns blazing, she won't do it because she wisened up.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I like the part where Kuvira forces scientists to work on weapons of mass destruction or face death. Not evil at all.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    All previous storylines are finally converging.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    She's on the same side as Jabba-wocky. There is no worse sin.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I love this show, I do, but it's a real shame it never portrays its villains (or at least arch villains) with any real kind of nuance.

The Kuvira who argued with Su in that flashback was considerably more compelling than Lady Magneto and her Brotherhood of Evil Earthbenders.

CooperTFN and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  19. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    As a Bolin centered episode, I LOVED this episode. We finally got some awesome lavabending and ehrm... treebending? And Zhu Li actually becomes her own character rather than a running gag hanging around Varrick. And Varrick having a concience. Can't wait for the next episode and apparently it's called "Battle of Zaofu"

Ghost likes this.
  20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The way things were going, I was afraid Kuvira would pressure Bolin into using his lavabending to break through Zaofu's defenses (considering the only other known lavabender personally destroyed the northern air temple), but glad Bolin finally wised up to what Kuvira was doing. Though instead now she's going to use Varrick's accidental superweapon.

Too bad Korra couldn't do like Su suggested and go on an Avatar State rampage, but things can never be that easy. Despite Kuvira already being a clear warmonger (taking out bandits is one thing, invading stable cities are the actions of a megalomaniac). Wonder if Kuvira's plans involve needing Zaofu for anything specific or she just can't stand Zaofu staying independent in her new empire. Well, hopefully Korra can choose a side next week, not like they can rely on the United Forces (have they ever done anything useful or were always just redshirts?).

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Varrick is a "scientist" in the same way Mengele was a physician. He is a known war criminal, guilty of inciting a civil war between the Northern and Southern Water Tribes for his own personal gain. He is also a rife practitioner of corporate espionage, first bankrupting and then taking over Future Industries so that he could pump more potent arms into both sides of a hot conflict. As bad as all this, he is flippant, mercurial, individualistic and profiteering. The epitome of everything wrong with modern society. In spite of all this, Su feted the man. Kuvira, on the other hand, who cannot endure unrighteousness, treats him as the prisoner he is. He should be thankful that he is allowed a work detail, rather than the state execution for which he was recently evaluated in this thread.

NIAWYC

As I said, it was really great to get a good look at her passion before the burdens of administration started to wear her down. This is the sort of thing I have been trying to describe to you all for weeks now.

Overall, I think it makes for a great contrast with the Bei Fong family.

Are you being serious right now? Your solution for someone looking to negotiate is to hope that someone sneaks in unannounced and murders them all? That's pretty appalling.

It is, though, standard for the Bei Fong family. As much as of Toph whined about the strictures of polite society, she certainly never hesitated to deploy her privilege as someone from an affluent family. She was reckless, irresponsible, and violent. We can all remember why Katara didn't like her. Then as an adult, she teaches the great lesson that nepotism and malfeasance are perfectly acceptable, again managing to avoid any consequences for her misbehavior. Even now, she's run away to enjoy her life in the swamp, ignoring the way her actions have torn her family apart for years, and blatantly ignoring the void she's creating in the life of her grandchildren.

Taking after her mother, Su has become an even more awful person. She associates with criminals. What gifts and talents she has, she hoards to her own personal benefit. She's so threatened by the notion of a humanitarian mission that she permanently exiles Kuvira. Do any of you grasp how insane that is? Is she trying to one-up Chris Christie? At least President Raiko waited until Korra caused problems in the city before asking her to leave. For that matter, even Fire Lord Ozai was tolerant of Iroh's good deeds, so long as he didn't directly interfere with Fire Nation plans. Yet Su strips her of all rights and privileges of citizenship because she wants to stop people from being impoverished and preyed upon by criminals. Do you know how insane that is? Is there even a parallel in history to taking such extreme actions against someone for trying to help other people?

And now, with the endorsement of you lot, she's trying to murder Kuvira. This show has seriously skewed your morality. Thankfully, there's not much we need to worry about here, since Su is likely incompetent next to Lady Kuvira. But I hope you can take a step back and get some clarity on things.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You've conveniently skipped the part where Kuvira is trying to build a superweapon. I guess it's a little too much to expect you to debate honestly.

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    She is a Head of State. I don't see expanding one's defensive military capacities as a crime, no. How can you cheer on Su for wanting to use the Avatar State as a super weapon against someone that doesn't even want to fight her, but you criticize Kuvira for developing new defensive technologies that she's shown no intention of using?

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    haha the one time Korra should have directly handled a threat, she doesn't.

oh korra you're just the worst

25. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    "A beacon of modern progress and now you can share that with everyone" - Kuvira

"We should share this prosperity with the rest of the world" - Firelord Sozin

Kuvira is the reincarnation of Firelord Sozin. Season ending twist.