main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think it's good she's trying to reason with Kuvira. Especially since Korra has now bought the United Forces some time to get to the Metal Clan.

But if the United Forces attack Kuvira, her empire will probably strike back against the United Republic.

Anyways...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  4. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Am I the only one who thinks that Kuvira wants someone to attack her so that she has an excuse to invade Zaofu? Kuvira mentioned how "the eyes of the world" were watching, and how they would have to "do this right." She can't just arbitrarily invade without losing support and risking the other nations getting involved. Now, if say someone such as Suyin were to try and kidnap or assassinate her while ostensibly under a flag of truce...? She could then move in, claiming (rightfully so) that Suyin attacked her.

And as a random note, I guess the part of Hiroshi Sato is now being played by Hayao Miyazaki. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Funny that you, of all people, should ask that.

Everton likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Do you think my assessments are joking? I've added mostly adjectives here. I am absolutely serious that Suyin is an awful person. If only one of them can exist, I would choose Kuvira every day of my life.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    lol The wording of these comebacks about Kuvira.. Do you guys actually take this stuff seriously? I mean, at this point..

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But you see, that is the masterful insidiousness of the Wockmeister: he's so over the top that you think he can't possibly be serious and must be trolling, so you dismiss him. Then your guard is down when you realize that he was serious the whole time, but by then it is too late.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, if anyone would know....

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Well, things happened here.

Things escalated quickly. As expected, Kuvira expected Su's attack (using Zhu Li as bait). In an effort to try and be the peacemaker, Korra, with Jinora & Opal in tow, meet her outside the dome. Kuvira won't back down, and they agree to a one-on-one duel. Korra wins, Kuvira backs off. Kuvira wins, Zaofu is conquered.

Meanwhile Varrick and Bolin are set by Batarr Jr to build another weapon. Varrick instead builds a bomb and threatens to blow them all up. The trian is separated and the coach the two are in is blown, and at the last second Varrick and Bolin escape and feign their deaths.

Meanwhile the duel goes badly, and Korra only gets the upper hand when in the Avatar State. However just before the killing blow, the specter haunts her again causing her to stumble, leading Korra to defeat. Jinora and Opal intervene, breaking the peace as the army attacks. While the two elder girls provide cover wind, Ikki and Meelo fly in and get everyone out.

Zaofu is captured, and the remaining Beifongs not sided with Kuvira in the city are captured. Kuvira sets Battar Jr and Zhu Li to replicate the spirit weapon.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Guess its still only the halfway point.

Half the episode was awesome, the Varrick scenes, the other half was boring. Where's Tenzin, he's the only one who usually doesn't get goaded into a fight. Instead now Su's handed a perfect excuse to Kuvira to invade, Opal and Jinora interrupt the duel giving Kuvira the excuse to send in her army, etc. And does Toph need to slap Korra another few times to get her to do something? The fight was completely one-sided, and then when Korra finally goes Avatar State... freezes up again. Might as well have just kept losing in random bending street fights for all the good Korra did here. How much more spiritual enlightenment does she need?

Now the question is where Kuvira will invade next. She's already taken Zaofu (love the part where Baatar Senior expressed his disappointment in his arrogant son), and she still wants her superweapon. My guess is she'll probably attack Republic City, with the excuse of it originally being part of the Earth Kingdom (something the last Earth Queen complained about). Will be another chance for the Red Shirts United Forces to lose. Then she'll probably expand her definition of Earth Empire to the whole world. Funny to hear her going on about equality, distributing Zaofu's wealth to the rest of the people. Amon used to go on about equality, Unalaq about "balance" between light and dark, Zaheer about true freedom, well, whatever is convenient for jerks.

Varrick was great, him having to do without Zhu Li (who was first used as bait and then is now back to working on the spirit vine superweapon with Jr.), engineering his escape. Well, either that or he was about to Varrick himself up, heh. Too bad Bolin was just his typical slow self, he has no sense of subtlety. At least they're both free now. Just hope Opal doesn't yell at him too much whenever they meet up, but then Opal's really emotional about her family right now. Too bad no one is on the original Bumi's level, a little coffin didn't stop him.

12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm hoping Kuvira invades the Fire Nation next. We still haven't seen it since the show began.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am so enormously proud of Kuvira. She beat Korra, despite the use of the Avatar state. No one has ever accomplished such a feat. Not Ozai, empowered by Sozin's Comet. Not even Vaatu, one of the most powerful beings in this entire universe, ever began to hope for such a victory. Kuvira's goodness and resolve have bent the whole world to the path of righteousness. She has eclipsed the avatar. There is no one else beside her. Bask in the glory of Kuvira of Victories.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

Um, Azula at the end of S2 beat Aang in the state?

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Aang still in the process of powering up when Azula shot him?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    She didn't beat Aang, she shot him in the back. But by the same token, Kuvira didn't beat Korra either -- well, she didn't beat her in the Avatar State. She pretty convincingly trounced Korra otherwise though.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Pfft. Toph already beat Korra first. And Aang so she has two avatars to Kuvira's one. Let's see the Great Uniter go up against the Blind Bandit. THEN we'll see who has the last laugh (It'll be Toph) :p

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes. It's laughable that anyone would even think to compare that friendless lunatic with the Lady Kuvira.

I really hope this happens. If the Righteous Kuvira is going to purify the nation, she must rip up the corrupt families root and branch. Toph will fall as easily as did Korra.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Aang wasn't at full-power yet either. He hadn't really completed his training, he hadn't mastered fire yet, and he was blind-sided while powering-up. Here, Korra sabotaged herself probably. It wasn't even that great show of force, since Korra's just floating, she's lifting a big rock and... that's it. I know they're probably saving the really impressive stuff for the end, but that doesn't mean the fights have to be so one-sided.

Seeing the Fire Nation would be nice, but at this late stage, not entirely sure if there's a point to showing the current Fire Lord, with so many other characters (still plenty of characters in Republic City who aren't doing much right now).

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They already did. ;)

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    All I could think, RE: the fight =

[​IMG]

22. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Kuvira, now that's you've united the Earth Empire, what will you do next?

But seriously, what will she do now I wonder? I would like if she just kept to her own territory now instead of just wanting to take over the world like everybody else. She does have the superweapon thing going on, but beyond that?

The question of her goals does make some others wonder. For example, on CBR, somebody asked why Kuvira just doesn't want to outright kill Korra now. If Korra dies, the next Avatar would be an Earthbender likely born within the Empire. Kuvira would immediately locate the baby and raise him/her according to Kuvirain standards.

Actually, that would be a cool idea for a next series, assuming Kuvira would win. Make it so that the Earthbending Avatar is born in RC instead of the Earth Kingdom, and have the plot be the Earthbending Avatar overthrowing the evil regime.

Either that or World War Avatar. I've always thought that at a certain point in the show's history, there would come a time when the four nations would war against each other.

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty site that time was the whole series

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    I think this episode brings it back up to "perfect" again. Good action, good character interactions, and advances the plot.

Both the A and B plots were great. The A plot featured Korra reuniting with Mako and Asami. Had a slight Korrasami tease with the two ladies complimenting how good each other look after three years apart (complete with Korra blush). Mako was forced to bring Wu, and while Wu goes to the bathroom he gets captured. They give chase through the city until they reach the the train station. All three fight off Kuvira's supporters while the train is in motion and they manage to find Wu and escape. They decide to drop Wu off at Asami's old place where Mako's family is staying, and the three head back to RC.

What I especially like was that things weren't all rosy upon their reunion. Korra is worried about Asami being on good terms with her dad, and is antsy at Mako for not doing his job. Asami is annoyed at Mako for being forced to bring Wu along, and angry at Korra for being missing and thinking she's demanding what's best for her in regards to Hiroshi. Mako was offended that Korra was never writing to him & Bolin. By the end they all laughed at how it was like old times.

The B-plot has Bolin and Varrick trying to head back to RC on foot. They come across escaped Waterbender and Earthbender convicts from one of the camps (as if the Nazi allegory wasn't evident enough with non-Earthbenders being sent there). They all join up and attempt to sneak by one of the wall checkpoints, but they are caught and try to fight their way out. Varrick has his awesome moment by hotwiring nearby tech to create an EMP generator that disables the mechs, and Bolin saves the escapees through Lavabending (even after Varrick says to leave them behind). All head back to RC by boat.

As for Kuvira... the episode ends with she and Bataar coming across extremely strong spirit vines. They order its immediate lumbering, and they are from the Swamp Spirit Tree...

Ghost likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005