main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    An online review of the "Reunion" episode described that one as a "chess piece moving" episode, where things are getting put into place for something major happening later on. "Beyond the Wilds" is definitely another one of those episodes, but I really enjoyed it for the multitude of things that seem to be happening.
    The best part of this episode was Korra's meeting with Zaheer, reunion with Raava, and (hopefully) overcoming her handicap now. It was nice that Zaheer helped in that since even he knows that Kuvira is a threat. Any scene in fiction that has a protagonist meeting a previous antagonist locked in chains is always something I like because of the tension it brings, and seeing possibilities of enemies temporarily working together. Now I hope that Korra is back in the game.

The Opal and Bolin plot was also nice, as I really do like them as a couple since Book 3. It's nice that Lin is getting back into action with Opal in their mission to reclaim Zaofu and rescue the Beifongs, and as nice as it was to have Korra reunite with Bolin, I like that he'll be going with Opal and Lin. Plus, Lavabending can really be helpful. I can only hope that, once this secret mission comes into play, Toph can join in on the action for a nice happy family reunion.

The rest of the stuff that happened here is pretty straightforward. It's understandable that Izumi would not want the nation involved in another war considering its own history, but was willing to help in defending RC. The Varrick and Asami scene, as brief as it is, was also pretty cool, and could lead to some interesting things if they'll be putting their brains togetherto build some new weapon. I forsee Hiroshi getting involved in this.

Izumi was voiced by April Stewart, who is also the voice of Raava.
    Now that multiple plot threads are going places, and after that clip show fiasco with Dickelodeon's treachery, I can only hope the show will continue to look up from here on out.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Finally! The Fire Lord speaks!

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, that's the Fire Lord, I skimmed through the episode where she first appeared, though the non-speaking role didn't help. I hope Korra is finally over her trauma... well, not over it, but that she's accepted it and won't mess up the next time she has to fight seriously. Interesting to see Zaheer again, and that he's locked up much more securely (was afraid they would just stick him in his old cell and they've even got chains on him now). Nice to have Korra call him out on deposing the earth queen only to lead to someone even worse taking over, and he did look a bit regretful about that bit. He's an extremist, but he didn't want this either.

And as an enemy, its kind of nice to have someone just bluntly tell Korra what she's been avoiding. Everybody else is concerned about her, and trying to be nice and kind and careful and gentle with her, but its not helping her so far. Glad to have Zaheer tell her outright that her blaming him is just an excuse. Though its kind of obvious that if Korra can't even meditate properly she's still messed up, but Korra was never good at meditating anyway. And since Jinora was out of the way this episode, Zaheer is probably the next most powerful spiritual person.

I do wish the world leaders would do something though. Kuvira's obviously arming for something, and she has a superweapon. Tenzin's kind of a pacifist, but can't blame the Fire Lord too much for wanting to avoid another war either. Too bad with a superweapon Kuvira's first strike will probably overwhelm any possible defenses. Varrick and Asami working on a defense should be entertaining ("I can't blow up my own building?). Though funny that Varrick and Bolin could just barge into their conference room, good security there. :p At least Bolin finally met up with Opal even she's not ready to forgive. I just hope Opal's and Lin's rescue attempt goes better than Suyin's sneak attack did. And how long until Toph comes out and wrecks that army?

Much better episode than the last two (the clip show was excusable, considering the circumstances, but Reunion was boring too). Hope to see the plot move forward again next week.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I enjoyed this episode a great deal. The early part in particular was a highlight, and very much revealing.

They really laid the prejudice bare in this episode. As she had feared, the world leaders were pushing relentlessly to launch a full-scale assault on the Earth Empire, even though they hadn't done anything at all. Quite literally, they weren't even aware of her new research, and they were still chomping at the big to launch an invasion. Even the supposed "restraint" of the Fire Nation has to be viewed in light of their openly hostile diplomatic maneuvers. They refuse to acknowledge Kuvira, who undisputedly controls the entire country, and instead takes consultation with a long-deposed leader in exile who commands the loyalty of only his bodyguard, and said bodyguard's immediate family. More disturbing still, people in senior leadership posts are shown planning illegal commando raids against Kuvira, even after formally agreeing not to attack.

This sort of blatant racism and paranoia against our most gentle and just lady really justifies why she's been so urgently pursuing defensive projects.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good episode.

-- Fire Lord finally speaks, and has a name! Awesome. I also enjoyed her rather imperious personality, even though in this case it was imperious in refusing to commit to a war she saw as senseless aggression.

-- Korra finally solves her stumbling blocks.

-- Bolin returns to the good guys

-- More Jinora is always good

-- no Kuvira for once!

-- remember when we all were wondering if the prince was the secret villain? Yeah, he's an idiot.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Preview for next week.

And we can let Bolin in this video sum up our feelings after watching it.

I KNEW Toph will help in the liberation of Zaofu. With a Beifong (and Bolin) centered moment this season, Toph NOT being part of it would just be odd. Nice touch I think to have Lin and Toph refer to each other by rank. Shows how their relationship is not as orthodox.

CooperTFN and Yodaminch like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On next week's episode-
    And I noticed it in this week's- what's up with this bison? It's tongue was randomly sticking out, and now it's got snot running down its face the size of a flying lemur. Just a little weirdo of a bison? :p

And it'll be interesting to see what Asami and Varrick cook up together. At least now she's wary of his fickle nature.

8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you all talking about?

Zao Fu became a part of the Earth Empire as part of a legal agreement brokered by the Avatar herself. Just because someone you dislike won doesn't make the results illegitimate. There's nothing to "liberate." They are freer than they've ever been before.

10. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When has liberating people ever been about giving them freedom?

11. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    The next graphic novel story will be called "Smoke and Shadow", and deals with a plot point brought up in a FCBD issue about a rebellion movement trying get rid of Zuko.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57363

Other details include Mai being prominent, Ursa and her family appearing, and Azula coming back.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I misread that as Mai being pregnant. Lol

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, she has to at some point! :p

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    September 2015?! That's a long wait..

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's understandable that the German people and German leaders, having been tainted by a warmongering past, want to avoid unnecessary military conflict. However, Merkel is going to have to realize that Putin wants to recreate the Russian Empire and will try to reclaim lands that were once Russia's. The Baltics are definitely at risk, and the Germans may have to step up to the plate.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Final four episode titles are...:_|
    [​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Wow. Three of those made me think X-Men

Jedi Merkurian and CooperTFN like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So glad they're doing more comics. When there was no tease at the end of The Rift I thought that was it.

...man, try saying "Ozai Society" five times fast.

19. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    While we wait for the coming episode...
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So we all knew Zhu Li was a double agent, right?

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, we all suspected that Zhu Li was a double agent.

22. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    The episode plot may sound short in basic summary, but it's really the details in the story that add meat to it:
    On the A-plot, we have the rescue. Toph was full top form in here, being badass and having good moments with the rest of the rescuers. Lin still resents Toph and they have an argument, with Toph seriously looking like she does feel sad for it. Through Toph's lie detection it turns out that Zhu Li was faking her defection, and she sabotages that Final Fantasy VII cannon. Kuvira finds her out though and puts her into the abandoned test town, though she's rescued by Bolin and Opal. Meanwhile Toph and Lin rescue the rest of their family and that's a pretty badass fight they had.

They all escape, Toph and reconcile, Opal and Bolin are back together, and Toph leaves. Can't help but chuckle at the reason she gave as to why she's not getting involved, and her also speaking on Katara's behalf for her lack of involvement back during Book 2's events: They're basically admitting they're too old for this crap. Then the bombshell of RC being attacked in two weeks. And despite Zhu Li's efforts, the cannon still works.

The B-plot was short, but very good. Varrick and Asami create a flying mech suit, but the two refuse Raiko's orders on it also harnessing Spirit Vine power. Korra is against it too but tries to get consent from the spirits themselves. However with the impending war, seems that the spirits have jumped ship and are refusing to help. Wu has his redeeming moment with him suggesting evacuating the civilians.

Minor tidbits: Opal's bison is named Juicy, and Lin's father is named Kanto.
    High marks again.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I had a feeling about Zhu Li. Though I imagine she didn't have to act too hard when she berated Varrick. :p

But anyway, the episode certainly lived up to its name. :D

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Awesome episode. And Kuvira seemed suitably scared when the dust cleared and there was Toph. Also love the not so subtle joke about why we don't see Katara fight. A good send off for Toph.

Also, Zhu Li did the thing!

Ghost and CooperTFN like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006