main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know what that is, but awesome.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Schwerer Gustav

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Now if only we knew Su's dad... and I wonder how Toph and Katara keep in contact...

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess I didn't interpret it as fear, but it was definitely the single most poignant image from the entire episode. Lady Kuvira, hair slightly frayed, looking confidently out over the railing to the world before her. Her face was really rich with emotion in that moment, and I think the animators did a wonderful job of it. If I had to pick one predominant mood, though, I guess I'd have to characterize it as regret. The whole episode really built towards it, if you think about it.

There was Zhu Li. Serial war criminal, traitor, and rebel against Kuvira's grace. Nonetheless, when she earnestly requested a second chance, she received mercy. She had a chance to reform her ways, and was given meaningful, important work to do. Even when things began to go wrong, no one was suspicious of her. Yet, she repaid these kindnesses with treachery, trying to destroy the Earth Empire's ability to defend itself.

Simlarly, Kuvira has tried to abide by the rules of the international community. She has received every diplomat, and taken consultations with other world leaders. She even submitted to negotiations led by the Avatar herself. No one cares. They simply break the rules of any agreement whenever it pleases them. Here, in spite of her careful measures to maintain the peace, a force from Republic City and led by a current and former Police Chief launched a pre-emptive strike against the Earth Empire, opening formal conflict. Kuvira could easily have killed them all, as she demonstrated in her humbling of Suyin Bei Fong. But she had too much honor to strike a blind, elderly woman, even one who was a clear criminal and violent attacker.

Kuvira has given them every chance. She's bent over backwards to prevent war. But Republic City just chose to start one anyway. Almost too righteous to exist in this world, Kuvira must again step in to prevent her people from the surrounding evil. It's really been a sort of tragic season, watching her struggle against such awfulness all season. I hope in the end she finally has the happiness she deserves.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You've just jumped the shark.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That happened a long time ago
    in a galaxy far, far away . . . .

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Alright, on reconsideration, I can see how that comes off, so I guess I retract that sentence. It really is my impression, though, that Kuvira chose not to engage Toph. Not because she was scared, but simply out of respect. And I really am angry at the Bei Fong family for how they are treating her.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That was an excellent episode, lots of great action and didn't have to put up with Korra being mopey too much (though the spirit did have a point). Can't wait to see those flying mecha suits in action, and even Prince Wu finally offered a competent suggestion (even if it was just to impress a girl).

Nice to see Bolin back with Opal, as well as all the Beifongs in this episode. I wish Toph could have defeated Kuvira then and there, but oh well, guess she hasn't aged as well as King Bumi of Omashu did back in the original series. But it is nice to hear her acknowledge that she and Katara can't just fight all the battles (though Zuko seems to be an exception).

So was Zhu Li a double agent or she just had second thoughts about joining up with Kuvira? Well, the reunion with Varrick will probably be awkward. Great fight between Su and Kuvira, though looks like even Su can't beat Kuvira (though Kuvira had her gear and Su had just been locked up for a while, but still). And at least Baatar Jr. didn't want to blow up his little sister, otherwise those two are going to be a scary ruling couple. Funny how much like the old earth queen Kuvira sounds like in wanting Republic City back as earth land.

Too bad they couldn't have done more before they fled, Bolin especially could have melted down a lot of things with lava (and Toph had slowed down most of the normal soldiers), but still, looking forward to finally having everyone reunite in Republic City, sounds like the final battle is coming very soon.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So what you're saying is

[​IMG]

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Isn't that exactly what the Earth Queen wanted and for the exact same reason?

Very Change

So Progress

12. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I think Baatar is just another person enthralled by Kuvira. She's never displayed ANY affection for him that I've seen, it seems to be a one-sided relationship.

Evil.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Well, I wouldn't have thought it was a surprise given her Nazi thing. :p reuniting lost lands is very much a part of it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Apparently you are all forgetful of history. I would remind you that after thousands of years of harmony, it was Republic City where bigotry became so rampant that it spawned the Equalist movement as a reaction. Then, again, when every nation was in harmony, it was out of the corrupt milieu of Republic City that false flag plots meant to divide the Water Tribes against one another were birthed. Before this time, war profiteering was unheard of. The base of every major arms manufacturer is also seated in Republic City, where they might appease their violent hearts and bloodthirsty tongues can be sated. Throughout its whole history, then, this place has emanated as a nexus of great evil, infecting all the world with its error.

I do not doubt that Aang and Zuko were trying when they established the Republic. But in doing so, they changed the territorial boundaries of the four legitimate nations, which thing we have never known to happen before. Indeed, Avatar Kyoshi slaughtered a ruler for his attempt to do so, as did did Avatar Roku. The clear intention of the natural order is thus to have four and only four separate and co-equal nations as political entities.

Bereft of a true Avatar, it falls to the Great Uniter, our most righteous Lady Kuvira, to correct their folly and bring truth to the world. May she ever be before us to hear our gratitude.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    um
    [​IMG]

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So I really enjoyed this newest episode, but why the hell didn't all the Beifong women just take down Kuvira? Between Toph, Su, Lin and everybody else that was there I'm sure they could have done it.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Because then Wocky would be right.

...just threw up in my mouth a little.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Toph pretty much stated it. She didn't care about the war. She was leaving that "to the kids" and specifically Korra. All she cared about was her family's safety. Also, it was pretty important that Lin, Su and Opal warn Republic City of Kuvira's spirit super weapon. So they couldn't risk a fight, it was more important to get out of there and warn the others. And once Zhu Li tells them Kuvira is attacking in 2 weeks, it's even more important to get there rather than say, drop Toph off, rest and go back for another attack.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I guess it's not the way Toph sees it, but getting rid of Kuvira who had captured her daughter is a pretty good way to protect your family.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Thousands of years of harmony between benders and non-benders. The Hundred Year War was a territorial dispute, which was unjust because it tried to alter the borders. In that light, the founding of Republic City is just as criminal as Sozin's genocide of the Air Monks.

Are you blind? Did you see the clip Ghost showed? That was the highlight of the whole thing. She looked so weary, and one could readily see the toll of filling in for an absent/incompetent Avatar, a corrupt and decadent upper class, and mealy-mouthed ethical teachers. It seemed clear that she wanted nothing more than to rest in her family's arms, and as a viewer you really wanted nothing more than to hold her there forever. Nonetheless, compelled by her sense of justice, she's driven to make sacrifices for others, no matter the personal cost.

It fits with her presentation this whole series. She's always been much more gentle in discussions with her inner circle than in public statements, when she has to project strength to ward off aggression from belligerent nations like the United Republic.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As for the "four nations being separate" thing, that's not what the Monk who taught Aang about chakras and the Avatar State believed. Also, now we know that the four nations existing was totally up to chance, determined by what kind of Lion Turtle people happened to be living on at the time Wan became the first Avatar.

22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Speaking of which, they never explained how Wan got across the ocean to see the different parts of the world. That's always bugged me about Beginnings.

Another plothole: if Raava could communicate with the Avatar the entire time, then why didn't she bother to warn Korra about the consequences of opening the Southern Portal?

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Korra had to connect with Raava first. That's why Korra went through the Wan flashbacks.

Wan could have used an iceberg, or spirit friends. The shape of the world could also have been different. We know Kyoshi created her own island, who knows what other Avatars and powerful benders did. Ocean levels could have been lower due to an ice age, making room for more land bridges too. But that's getting really wonky.

24. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    If there's one thing this episode did well at, its levity.

The reveal of Kuvira's spirit-cannon wielding mecha was very ominous, and scenes of RC being evacuated and the emptiness and marshalling of the army really added to the feel that things were happening fast.

Nice scene with Zhu Li and Varrick that doesn't get all too mushy. Completely in-character with Varrick.

Kuvira and Bataar though...it makes me wonder if Kuvira really did love him, and it does break my enjoyment of the episode a bit. Sure in the beginning of the episode we have the two promising their marriage vows, but Kuvira's actions send mixed messages. She does react with genuine worry, and does kinda look like she gave a shuddering exhale when she fired, but it's still unclear as to whether or not Kuvira really loved him. And does make me dread the inevitable scene of Kuvira admitting as much and Bataar's heartbreak later on.

Ghost likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's only the 2-part finale left now, right?