main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hard to believe there are only two episodes left. I'd probably rank season 3 as better, but this has still been a pretty good season. Going to miss this series. Well, at least things have gotten really serious, even if Korra and company have little to no idea what they're going to do. Oh well, Avatar villains are usually more genre-savvy than the heroes, unfortunately.

Does this count as a "That thing's operational!" homage? :p Too bad they couldn't have fought that giant robot out in the wild, but they've been one step behind Kuvira for the whole season. At least Korra's Avatar mode hasn't collapsed yet.

"Yes, everybody is gathered in one spot so they can easily be blown up at once". :rolleyes: They have no idea how to do hostage negotiations, or even how to threaten. Not like any of them are mean enough to interrogate someone and force them to tell them stuff. Su's appeal to her son was sad, but he was obviously a true believer, unlike Bolin and Varrick who had been kept on the outside of Kuvira's command. Guess they'll have to rely on a heartbroken Baatar, Jr. to tell them how to take out that suit. Sorry, just disappointed that after seeing the Republic City army show up, they're only there to be blown up. Again. Though it could be budget constraints, who knows. I don't blame Raiko for surrendering when facing that superweapon. And with that gigantic barbed wire barrier, I was afraid it would be turned against them (they are fighting an army of metalbenders). And hope their own flying mecha suits will still play a role, after talking about them for a few episodes, it would be really disappointing to hear they all got blown up already without even launching.

Nice to see Wu actually contribute, as well as Zhu Li and Varrick reunite, though it still wasn't on the best terms. As well as Pema helping with the evacuation. Kuvira probably does like Baatar, Jr., but he's obviously expendable too. Too bad General Iroh hasn't gotten to do much since season 1. I'm curious how the final battle will play out. Their earthbenders (though probably mainly Lin, Su and Bolin) could try to knock that thing off its feet. Or if Bolin can get close enough, he could actually use his lavabending, but that thing could probably sidestep a lava attack, the way things are going. Since this is the finale, wonder if we'll actually get to see Korra go full-on unstoppable Avatar mode for once.

Ghost likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'm predicting full Avatar mode, Baatar's revenge, and perhaps a rescue by the Fire Nation...

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That was intense, and heart-breaking.

I'm certain Baatar was asking for her to kill him. He kept talking about wanting to "rule an empire" instead of help people and restore justice, which is completely unlike Kuvira. They must have worked out this code in advance, in case one of them got captured. The insincerity is their code for a hopeless situation. Just really sad that this had to be his last words, instead of the freedom to tell his wife how much he loved her and how special she is. I hope someone gets to in the finale.

The parallels between this season and TLA are really piling up. Like the Avatar in TLA, Kuvira wields the power of the spirits to destroy a whole navy and bring balance to the world. Like Koh the Face Stealer, Korra tries to separate her from her loved ones forever. Also interesting that while Kuvira talks about what's right for everyone, Korra only talks about "her" city, even though Avatars are supposed to be tied to the interests of one specific nation over others. It really puts things in perspective.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Wocky: Watching you contort yourself to find ways to defend Kuvira has been one of the highlights of this season. =D=

5. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    So, I guess Varrick is going to have to rename the Zhu Li to the Kuvira, as she really is a cold heartless war machine. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    After all the crap they get for season 2 I can't believe they went with a giant humanoid figure shooting spirit beams over republic city again.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That was a criticism of Season 2?

blubeast1237 likes this.
  8. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It helps though that Season 4 is better than Season 2.

Not that I think Season 2 is garbage like how so many others feel. TBQH by this point I try not to be to hard on Korra now because of all the crap this show went through by Dickelodeon.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So is there a reason why a couple of earth benders can't bend the ground under the feet of the "Iron Giant" or maybe have Bolin bend the ground into lava and melt its feet? Too easy?

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The handful of earthbenders piloting it, and the numerous other earthbenders standing around in front of it?

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Also, I think Korra should upgrade to the flying squirrel outfit.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So does it definitely end this Friday? :(

13. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, I remember the 19th is when it's ending.

It's funny. When Aang's show ended it was sad yes, but there was a sense of triumph to it. Like you're happy that the show ended after seeing all the characters to through everything and when it was actually being supported by the network.

Now? Korra ending is very bittersweet. Korra was plagued, diseased, and infected by network dickery the moment it was born.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, all indications are that four seasons is the most they really wanted. To whatever extent they had a big story plan at the outset, they at least seem to have told it.

15. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006

Well, if tumblr is to be believed, so does Asami. :p

And as a heads up, apparently the finale is premiering tomorrow night, not on Friday. Source.

NICK.COM:
    Thursday, December 18th at Midnight Eastern / 9:00pm Pacific
    NICKTOONS TV CHANNEL:
    Friday, December 19th
    9:00pm Chapter 10 “Operation Beifong”
    9:30pm Chapter 11 “Kuvira’s Gambit”
    10:00pm Chapter 12 “Day of the Colossus” (finale part one)
    10:30pm Chapter 13 “The Last Stand” (finale part two)
    OTHER ONLINE PLATFORMS:
    I’m *pretty sure* all the other platforms will be releasing the finale at their normal times on Friday, December 19th.

So it sounds like I'll be staying away from here starting tomorrow night.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, it will be 12am Friday ;)

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am so excited but remember we still have the comics.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    wait is this show still on the air? I thought it was cancelled like 18 months ago or something.

19. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Korrasami is canon. Rejoice.

20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    GLORY!

Can you pm me the spoilers please? Or what happens? I haven't seen it yet?

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Kudos to the writers for being brave yet subtle enough to make Korra and Asami a couple. The finale ends with the two of them talking, Asami sharing how she couldn't bear to lose Korra and then saying she wants a vacation which prompts Korra to say let's do it and ask where. Asami says she's always wanted to see the spirit world. They walk to the portal, hold hands and then still holding hands, face each other as they transfer into the spirit world. No more affection than that but it's as clear as possible that they are a couple.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts on the rest:

In some ways, I am disappointed that this is how they chose to end the series. Korra's explanation to Kuvira about how they are similar and her explaining to Tenzin about how she needed to go through that pain and suffering to better empathize with people like Kuvira does explain things nicely. But, a lot of plots feel dropped/under explored. In particular, the spirit world still feels open. The fact that Korra gets Reconnected with Raava and then that's dropped was also a bit annoying. In fact, Korra doesn't go into the avatar state until she has to stop the spirit weapon from killing Kuvira. I would have liked something about either Raava or the past avatars. Honestly, for a few moments there, I wondered if Korra had died and the cycle was about to begin again or end permantly. The shot of Korra floating like in Season 2 would have been a perfect time to throw in Raava or Aang and company. Still, I do get the mirror image with Kuvira thing and it was well done.

Prince Wu was an idiot. His character greatly dragged the season down and even his moments of redemption were painful. So really did not want to see more of him. Would have been more interesting if he'd sacrificed himself.

Was Mako trying to get back with Korra at the end? If so, he's gonna be disappointed. Would have liked to see some closure with Bolin and Opal. Did not see anything during the wedding.

Overall, just sad the show is over. Still so much that, as Korra said, she feels like she's just getting started.

22. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Ok All in all great finale. I mean did you expect anything less from such an epic branch off from such an epic original tv show?!?
    Anyway onto what we are all here for, the finale. Now In the broad scheme of things Epic epic epic!!!! I won't go as far as to say it was as epic as ATLA's four part series finale movie masterpiece though. The ending to Korra could've been done a bit differently like maybe ending it with the scene between Korra and Tenzin, but hey what happened happened. That's really my one big complaint. I also loved the scene between Kuvira and Korra in the Spirit World where Kuvira in a way spilled her guts. Made what she did make a little bit more sense. And that final bending battle inside the the mecha giant control room was pure awesome epicness!!!!!
    I did not appreciate though the whole scene where they sorta hinted that Makko wasn't going to make it out alive. I was almost brought to tears and that doesn't happen often when I watch tv shows.

23. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    When comparing Aang's and Korra's finales, it goes without saying that Aang's is the better one. But on their own merits, Korra's finale was pretty damn epic for what it was.

You really didn't know what was going to happen in certain points, and it kept you guessing. If it keeps you on the edge of your seat, I think that's a sign that the finale did a good job.

All in all, despite a few things, I felt that this was a great ending to Korra. And it's very bittersweet to see it end after everything this show has went through, from its own personal problems, to the douchebaggery of Dickelodeon.

I hope Avatar will return in the future, whether under Bryke again or under new blood that has that same amount of passion for the show as the original creators and the fans do. As one character in the finale has said, it has barely begun. There is so much potential to be had in the world of Avatar, it would be a crying shame just to end things.

JM_1977 and CooperTFN like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Best episodes yet
    Korrasami is a thing

I thought make was dead.

The death of Mr sato was the saddest

and Varrick grew a pair and got married.

Best ending ever know we just look to the future.

25. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Thoughts on the more spoilerific stuff:
    Despite not being very effective, it's nice to see the Airbenders in action. And it can be sort of read to see why Sozin way back then targted the air nomads in the fist place. If last season and this is any indication, they can be very powerful en masse.

Knew Varrick and Zhu Li were gonna get together the moment they started that scene on the electrical tower. But it was still nice to see the engagement proposal and the vows by the end. Looking back on the two from the beginning I suppose it could've come a little out of nowhere, but hey, not all romances have the benefit of being seen or fully developed. One could even argue that if we had seen development from the beginning, it would've been one of those things to expect in the finale. And as I said I really do dig the finale for doing plenty of unexpected things.

Speaking of unexpected things:
    Hiroshi's death. Sad, yeah. I actually yelled out a no moment he was crushed. And I fully expected to see a scene with Hiroshi climbing out of the rubble. But nope, he's dead. I do admit though I think what might've helped the thing more is if we've seen at least one Hiroshi appearance in Book 2 and 3. Could've helped build up things a bit better. I admit I was disappointed that we didn't see a funeral scene or the like, but I don't think it could've been put anywhere as it would've been a huge damper for Varrick's and Zhu Li's wedding.

Wu did alright. Badgermole scene was pretty funny, and it's interesting that he abolished the Earth Kingdom into separate states. In fact now I'm more curious to see the development of Avatar World, with a new Spirit Portal, the rebuilding of RC around said portal, and the splintering of the Earth Kingdom/Empire territories. It makes me all the more curious to see how the next Earthbending Avatar will cope with this.

The fight inside the giant mecha was pretty good, and it reminded me on a smaller scale of the actions of the different groups in Aang's finale. All had their chance to shine, though I wish we got to see the Airbenders do more things. Like, I dunno, fight off swarms of small mecha tanks. I actually thought too that Mako was going to kick the bucket.

Kuvira's ending is probably the only hiccup for me since I felt a lot of her "similarities" to Korra were kinda brought out of nowhere. I was rolling my eyes at Korra's and Kuvira's talk. Kuvira may have been a good villain, but she could've been better. Maybe put her in a supporting role in Book 3 or something. But still she's probably one of the better villains of Korra.

I admit I was kinda scared of that scene with Korra and Mako, as they might've done a cop-out and put them back together again. Which brings me to the final lines of dialogue in the entire show...
    The CLOSEST that they can do, I think, of making Korrasami canon. Though I couldn't help but laugh. Korra's and Asami's talk was definitely fine and all, but having it end with them actually walking to the portals and holding hands as they stared into each other while teleporting in...couldn't help but say "Oh, come on!" It was touching, but it can kinda be funny in a way.

JM_1977 likes this.