main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe we will see her in the comics.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    She should be the star of the comics. She's the best character this universe ever created.

3. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    Oh Lok, such a disappointment this show was for me. Glad book one existed just for blood bending brothers. Also, I like the Avatar origin The Beginning episodes if I ignored book two final which I have no problem doing along with the rest of the show. Also, Mako should have died a painful death for making this show unbearable to go through for me.

This couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.
    [​IMG]

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It's sometimes a tough show to get through. The season with the Evil-Tar was particularly painful, whichever it was. But hang in there. The last season is brilliant. Kuvira is the single greatest character in this entire franchise, and she doesn't show up until then.

5. SevPrince

Nov 4, 2016
    I have seen it all. Kuvira had great potential that got wasted as with most things in the show. The best characters for me were the guys in my avatar and Avatar Wan.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Kuvira was in season 3 too, though as minor character.

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, that's why he has to watch the whole show. He should see her blossom into all her glory.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Evil-tar was season 4. So it was the most brilliant season, but also the most painful? :p

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No I mean, the one with the giant Godzilla fight. That was stupid.

Kuvira was the best thing that ever happened. I would watch an entire show just about her.

10. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    That was Season 2, and yeah that was the one that wasn't stellar, and part of the problem was the creators initially being given one season to do, but were taken by surprise when they were suddenly given another one. Season 3 and 4 is definitely the show's highlight.

While Korra has problems (most of which I attribute to Dickelodeon), I still feel it to be a great show and a worthy successor to Aang's show, and await whatever plans there might be for the future of this franchise.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. SevPrince

Nov 4, 2016
    We can't blame all the writing issues of LOK on Nick. Mike and Brian are like Lucas good idea guys but need writers to help them and say no to **** ideas. Is the reason why ATLA was great and LOK was weak.
    Book 1 was the better-written book of Korra despite its weakness.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Season 2 suffered for a few reasons:

1) They didn't know if Season 1 was going to be it for them. That led to the decision to basically make Korra a full-fledged avatar and have her and Mako fall in love right at the end. It's designed to be seen as a season and series finale.
    2) The company that did the animation for much of season 2 was just bad. Some episodes were by the better animators and it shows. This inconsistently makes it difficult to watch and re-watch
    3) They really didn't seem to know what to do with the group after Season 1. Mako is pushed into law enforcement and Bolin is spinning his wheels until Varrick has the movers- which while funny, also felt like a waste at times. Asami is the only one who had a plot that made sense. Then they broke Korra and Mako up very quickly and put all this emphasis on the spirits and the damage they were doing...
    4) And then they sort of abandoned the whole spirit thing for several episodes and focused on the war between the Southern Waterbenders. Which wasn't a great choice because Unaloq as a character was terrible. He pretty much always came across as the villain and so he had no depth other than being evil.
    5) This was all offset by the awesome backstory of Wan as the first avatar as well as the spirit world adventures where we get Iroh. The problem is that we had to meander through several less than stellar episodes and plots to get to this point.

Season 3 on the other hand had a great plot idea that sort of fell apart in execution. The first episode is pretty amazing with the breakout of Zaheer and the others. Plus we get Zuko as well. But then it starts to fall apart with the explanations for their motivation as well as the trip to rebuild the air nation. It picks up again by the end but has the same issue with middle episodes sort of spinning their wheels. Not nearly as badly as season 2 but not as tight as season 1.

And then yes, Season 4 had Kuvira which according to her number 1 fan, is all the reason needed to enjoy the series. I personally enjoyed the return and use of Toph myself. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Let me be clear that I really did enjoy the series as a whole. Even some of the weaker moments had real promise. For instance, the family drama of early Season 2, and the dynamics of colonization/resistance are very rich. It looked for all the world like we'd spend a season mining them. Instead, we got some weird diversion into superpowers and godzilla fights. That was sad because it was both utterly predictable and completely unexpected.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, the other Evil-tar. I was thinking of the shadowy version of herself that stalks her a bunch.

Yeah, season 2 had some cool ideas, but just overall horrible execution. Books 3 and 4 were definitely a return to form.

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Season 2 wasn't that bad. Vatu was a rather iconic villain and the mythology that was added was really interesting. The new characters were all great. It was definitely the worst season but it wasn't an awful season. All the good it gave and set up far outweighs it's negatives.

Season 2 and 3 and a lot more filler and breather episodes which I liked. 1 and 4 were very narrative focussed and really moved fast, I liked how in 2 and 3 we got some slower stuff and just time to let the characters breathe and interact.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    SevPrince: What disappointed you about Kuvira? How do you think the character could have been better utilized? One of the things I enjoyed is that she never let us down.

17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, you mention you hated the Godzilla fight, but Kuvira literally goes after Republic City with a Megazord. :p

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    . . .

. . .

Yes, well.

19. SevPrince

Nov 4, 2016
    I loved the concept of Kuvira. I'm always a sucker for family drama so I naturally expected Kuvira seducing Bataar Jr away from his family and her relationship with Suyin to be handled well but I should have known they mess it up since they did nothing with Unalaq being Korra's uncle.
    Also, her motivation to be Hitler of Earth kingdom was weak and didn't have any weight to it. I really don't think any of the villains have weight except for Amon and Tarrlok. Was there really any reason to betray her as evil as they did, I feel like no but they just did it for the sake of it. That's how a lot of LOK felt like to me. It was devoid of real emotions and I just couldn't connect with a lot of characters including Kuvira.

Kuvira could have simply wanted to get away from Suyin's shadow and her control and make a name for herself. She sees a vacuum in Earth Kingdom and tries to insert herself. She could have truly loved Bataar Jr. He could have been torn in following his love and trying to not lose his mother's love and respect her wishes. Who should rule EK, Kuvira who is qualified or Wu who isn't. But no, she is a jerk and so is Bataar jr. Why I as a viewer should care about any of this.

20. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002

[face_rofl]

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You have done it. It has finally happened. The apocalypse is nigh.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    SevPrince: I guess we interpreted the show a little differently.

For my money, the motivation they gave Kuvira worked. Her long term concerns about safety and abandonment warping into totalarianism was at least passably plausible. Other times, they crafted things that were just beautiful. I love that there was nothing "more" to her relationship with Bataar Jr. She didn't particularly need him, nor did she use him for any ulterior motive. While his family tried to weaponize him against her, she didn't want anything from him other than companionship. I do wish they had lingered longer on how difficult it was to be involved in her husband's likely death, but they showed a fair amount considering the circumstances. She had moments of true vulnerability.

And her underlying moral outlook was just arresting. I don't there is any better exchange in the Avatar universe than.

"[Trying to help unify the Earth Kingdom] will only cause wars."
    Kuvira: "There are wars now."

What else do you want? That's more clarity of vision than we ever saw from Aang, Korra, or Iroh. It's a simple, direct, forceful statement. I don't think anything better epitomizes the characters altruism, determination, and keen intelligence. She is everything any of them should have wanted to be.

23. SevPrince

Nov 4, 2016
    To be fair is not hard to be better visionary than Korra. I'll give you that.
    Your love for Kuvira is adorable. I loved her design and she easily comes in second place after the brothers.

BTW the worst thing Bryke did after giving everyone airbending with some lame excuse was this

That is pretty much killing the hook for this franchise. My emotional ties ended here. Couldn't believe they had to do this to give Korra some character growth. Is was not worth it.
    I feel sorry for the avatar after Korra. Poor thing only has the worst avatar to rely on.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What did you find so compelling about Tarrlok and Noatak? They seemed to have huge potential when Amon broke through his brother's blood bending. That was probably the high point of my excitement for the whole first season. But then it just turned out they were the sons of two crime lords, cynically trying to amass power. Why should we care? That seems like a very generic bad guy plot after the political implications o what we were promised.

Also, Kuvira would wipe the floor with both of them, even in a 2:1 duel. She defeated the Avatar.

25. SevPrince

Nov 4, 2016
    They were tragic. Tarrlok was great being the manipulative bastard. Amon was scary and their backstory gave them layers and motivation that put everything in context. I just wished we had more scenes with them instead of pro-bending and freaking shipping nonsense.

Lol, Kuvira stands zero chance. I'm sorry man.