main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But Katara clearly overrules Sokka in decision-making. He's a technocrat and a planner, but he never really set the broad outlines of any policies.

2. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    He was the one constantly pushing for an invasion of the fire nation.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The real villain was the Cabbage Salesman.

How come he was everywhere the protagonists and antagonists were? Something is fishy here.

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What do you mean "pushing?" No one ever disagreed. He talked about it most often because he was the one responsible for articulating all the details of how it would work.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    :eek: ZOMG you're so right!

6. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Well there was the scene where Aang was saying he was unsure if killing the Firelord was the right thing to do, and Sokka chopped the Firelord effigy's head off. Aang just wanted to stop the war, Sokka was the one saying that invading the fire nation was the way to do that.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sozin?

As Spider-fan mentioned, Aang was friendly to the Fire Nation as it was constituted during Sozin's reign. It looks as if Azulon also continued the policies of his father. The one who deviated from this was Ozai. Fire Nation imperial policy as a whole as beneficient.

Aang was not wrong to oppose Ozai as such--but he was wrongheaded in the way he chose to do this, and in the lack of foresight he had about replacing the Fire Nation's leadership. If it weren't for Iroh, it would have meant disaster--Iroh is the one who trained Zuko, and Zuko is the one who ensured stable continuity of leadership.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Roku is pretty dogged in his insistence that he was only friendly with Sozin insofar as he was completely unaware of the latter's preparations for expansionist foreign policy, which he had curtailed previously.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I supposed you had a lot of foresight when you were 12.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but Roku was also pretty murderous, as were his predecessors who counseled Aang to simply kill Ozai.

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    o_O Yeah, that's like calling the 1968 Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia "brotherly help".

Try again, and this time call things by their truthful name. [face_talk_hand]

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Apples and oranges. The Fire Nation clearly are not commies. Come on. Are you an anti-monarchist too?

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Honestly, he probably should have. The penalty for treason is death, anyway.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't disagree. But that doesn't mean Roku's exactly a sober-minded judge of rational responses to situations.

15. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't see how these differ, especially since we don't know what he intended to do about the Fire Nation's leadership.

Zuko's acceptance of the role of leadership came after he turned against his father and allied himself with Aang, a change that was a direct result of his encounters with Aang (among other factors).

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, you have a point there. I have to imagine there were at least several dozen deaths and injuries when he demolished the entirety of the palace complex just to "warn" his old friend. And I don't know if it's more disturbing if Roku knew and simply didn't care, or if he was somehow under the impression that only one person occupies a building at a time.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Wocky: Yeah, it's the definition of an asymmetrical response. For all intents and purposes, he fired the first shot of their war.

It was a result of Iroh's teaching. Iroh is probably the true hero of all this. He's the one that first reached out to the Avatar's team.

18. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't dispute that, but encounters like the first appearance of the Blue Spirit or during the siege of the Northern Water Tribe certainly planted seeds in Zuko's mind that he wasn't doing the right thing. I don't mean to diminish Iroh's involvement, but Aang was a positive influence on Zuko's choices as well.

Whether his intentions were good or not, whether his influence was positive or not, Aang was instrumental in returning your beloved Fire Nation leadership to its rightful place. :p Contrary to your previous statements that he was evil for having overthrown the Fire Nation, I daresay given this new line of dialogue, one might call him a hero. ;)

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, it's the same thing. Invading other nations and calling it "sharing our culture". Sozin committed freakin' GENOCIDE! How is that tolerant and non-aggressive?

And the Fire Nation régime as we saw it is borderline totalitarian, which was my point (not the side of the political spectre. One totalitarian system is as bad as the next, whether right or left). Stop picking on details.

And now I'm an anti-monarchist just because I'm opposing one country invading the rest of the world by FORCE and committing genocide? [face_laugh] Come now, Jello, you can do better than this.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What happened to the Air Nomads was regrettable, but we have absolutely no way of knowing how it all went down. Like I said, the show just doesn't show us the details--but we have evidence from other sources that the Air Nomads were surprisingly militarized. Who's to say that they didn't just react very harshly to the Fire Nation's arrival? Obviously speculation is neither here nor there, but there's nothing to support that it was just a blatant, over the top attack--especially as it's out of character with the Fire Nation as Aang knew it, contemporaneously. Does his description of their culture sound totalitarian? No--the changes he described went on under Ozai's rule. Indeed, contrast Palace life under Azulon's reign versus that of Ozai's.

Besides, Aang was fairly young. Yet all the airbending skills he taught seemed to have martial applications. Curious, no?

21. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Actually a lot of the earlier techniques he demonstrated seemed to be for his own amusement or means of transportation. The martial use came later and only after he was continually attacked Zuko and Co., usually by knocking away threatening forces with a quick blast of air that was rarely life threatening. They became more complex and combative out of necessity.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Um, yes, we do, we have the first-hand testimony of Sozin: "I knew the next Avatar would be born an Air Nomad. So I wiped out the Air Temples. But somehow the new Avatar alluded me." It's pretty straight forward, no ambiguity there. He wanted to get rid of the next Avatar, so he wiped out the Air Nomads. End of.

On the contrary, given how Aang was raised, the Air Nomads were pretty pacifist, respecting all life (even being vegetarian).

Oh, come on, ALL four kinds of bending stem from martial arts! And if anything the Airbending is the most defensive of them all! As Spidey mentioned above, most of the "battle" Airbending Aang demonstrated was used to get away from his attackers or to knock them away so he could escape. If there's one bending that's mostly offensive, it's Firebending.

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Of the four bending techniques Firebending is almost entirely offensive, while Earthbending balances both offense and defense and water and air are almost entirely defensive. And of the four elements fire is almost always destructive even in its smallest forms. It takes an larger amount airbending to become destructive.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Back on-topic...
    Yes, because history has shown that Avatars are pretty easily offed o_O Let alone one lacking a moral compass...

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :(

No, I just am not allowed to talk about it. But I can make whistley faces when something is guessed right. :(

Edit: Okay well I guess now I can. Nick just announced it. :p

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/ap_en_tv/us_tv_legend_of_korra