main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The setting actually looks interesting this time around still Republic city what an awful name, couldn't they think of something better. :p

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not to drag as us back into yesterday's discussion, but presumably an immoral or amoral candidate would be noticed long before their training was complete. That's the point when they'd be dealt with. Even afterward, though, Roku's death is demonstrative of the way that even a fully trained Avatar can be killed. No one can be alert all the time.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it doesn't make sense unless they've created some world government or something. I mean, I understand they're trying to come up with a contrast to [Element] [Polity] that all the other nations have, but why not... like... Commonwealth City or something?

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    EDIT: sorry, i was reading the last page, didn't notice this one :p

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, given that (A) Avatars aren't normally told until they're 16, and (B) she's already had time to master two elements besides her own, that doesn't bode well for Aang [face_worried]

The point I'm making is not that an "Eviltar" would be an immoral "Avatar-in-training," I'm talking about a fully-realized Avatar who tried something like what Aang did to Fire Lord Ozai, but failing.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Maybe his 100 years of hibernation caught up with him and he aged more quickly later in his life?

Also, Aang proved that the Avatar can master the elements pretty fast when he/she needs to - maybe this advanced mastering passed on to Korra? AND we don't know whether they stick to the "don't tell the Avatar until (s)he is 16" tradition any more. So it would be possible that Korra's age in the series is anything between 15 and 19, IMHO.

9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Had Aang actually mastered all four elements?? Towards the end Toph and Zuko both noted that his bending of earth and fire needed work. I think by that point he had a decent grasp of each practice, but I think he was a long way from mastering them. He had only a short time frame (a year I think?) to learn them, I doubt he was anywhere near close to having mastered them.

And one would assume that the age of 16 had a purpose. Perhaps they don't want to force the child into training too soon. Aang's situation was unique because of pressing matters elsewhere, and as we saw he wasn't ready to face the trials of Avatar Training. So I don't see why they wouldn't stick with the age limit.

However some cursory reading would prove you are correct as to why Aang died in his sixties.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I guess you're right about the mastering of all elements...

11. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/avatar-the-last-airbender-nickelodeon-greenlights-tv-sequel-the-legend-of-korra/

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/legend-of-korra-the-creators-of-avatar-the-last-airbender-on-the-new-spinoff

I'm liking what I'm hearing from those likes. I'm kind of curious about this "Republic City" though. I was always under the impression that Ba Sing Se was the largest city in the world. I wonder what nation it is in.

According to Konietzko in the second link I posted, the time he spent in the iceberg shortened his lifespan.

It seems that genetics have at least something to do with it. The nations don't seem to have any benders besides their own with the exception of Avatars and very isolated groups like the Swampbenders.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah I already discovered that thanks.

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that would make sense. But it also raises a question - especially when we have this Republic City, which is supposed to be a mix of all four nations - what would happen if two different benders married and had kids? How would the bending genetics work then? We have one example - Tenzin, son of an Airbender and a Waterbender, who is an Airbender. But does that mean that Airbending genes beat Waterbending genes, or is that just random? If it's the former, it would make sense if the different bending genes "beat" each other according to the Avatar cycle: Air beats Water, Water beats Earth, Earth beats Fire, Fire beats Air. But then what about the two opposing bending genes? Would Water beat Fire, or Fire would beat Water? Or would those genes be in such conflict that the offspring would have no bending abilities, just to be on the safe side? Aaaargh! 8-} :p

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe if they kept interbreeding, they'd all become Avatars.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's even more 8-}.

:p

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway, obviously a water bender and an earthbender would breed a mudbender.

17. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Depends. Naruto's take on the same combination is a wood bender.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And Tenzin is obviously the first Steambender, who started the Industrial Revolution! :p

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, some Firebenders can produce lightning, so there's already a source of electricity... :p

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, only the royals have been proven to do that. And one is powerless, the other insane.... :p

And the other one must surely be dead by now.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And a firebender + airbender would obviously breed a plasma bender, thereby bringing forward nuclear fusion! :p

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Maybe Zuko mastered it eventually - after all, he learned the true way of Firebending from the dragons, just like Iroh did - and Iroh could produce lightning. It's quite probable that Zuko eventually managed to learn how to produce lightning.

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Surely Zuko had children with Emo Ninja freakshow lady. Perhaps its an inherited trait we never saw Zuko master.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ummm... plasma has nothing to do with nuclear fusion... :p

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I wouldn't say Mai is emo. I've never seen her actively despair about life. She's just apathetic about everything. Apathy doesn't necessarily she's emo.

Note: I'm not saying she ISN'T emo. I'm saying I haven't seen an example of her being emo.