main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think its supposed to be one episode per week, as normal. The premiere starts with two episodes, which I think is usual. A bonus third episode is odd, but I think its because next week is 4th of July, so no new episode that week (it'll be a bunch of marathons or special stuff or whatever it is Nick does on holidays like that, I usually don't watch the channel except for Avatar).

It might just be me, but it seems like kind of a waste to premiere a show right before 4th of July, since that would seem to kill off any strong start (big start, two week long break, then a new episode and by then people might lose interest), but not sure if that's just a timing glitch (the new season just happened to start now) or its just typical network incompetence. That reminds me, Girl Meets World starts tonight too (and is also delayed by the 4th of July next week) so not sure if its a TV season thing or all networks are typical that awful. I thought I heard Friday was a bad timeslot for a show, but networks often ruin shows like that.

Still surprised by the really quick start and little to no warning (don't they usually announce these things at least a month in advance?). Though it could have been due to supposedly leaked episodes, hence the rush. No real idea about those rumors, I'm trying to avoid spoilers, they're possibly not in English and not as enthusiastic after book 2 either.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still need to see the end of Season 1 and the entirety of Season 2...............

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd say only watch the episode with the first Avatar ("Beginnings"? I forget) where they actually bothered to try and skip the rest. The season 2 plot summary is blah blah blah Korra is an idiot blah blah power rangers fight blah blah the spirit world is merged with the physical world.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up but I'll probably watch them anyway. Probably will regret it but oh well.

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Still better than the 10 minutes of the movie I managed to sit through.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I can assure that I will not be seeing that.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oops, completely forgot it was on. Luckily, I have Nick2. [face_dancing]

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Just watched them. I think it's definitely a better opening than season 2. There are a lot of characters, and a lot of interesting things developing in these three eps..

So maybe nothing jaw-dropping, but this show is looking better IMO.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah these were good. I liked seeing Korra and Asami team up, and interesting to see how Ba Sing Se has evolved.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Zuko riding a dragon!

Also loved Zuko's elevator conversation.

Jedi Merkurian and Ulicus like this.
  11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, seeing Ba Sing Se in HD was nice, also glad that so far they've toned down the whole love triangle between Korra, Mako and Asami. Liked the first episode, the second and third less so, but liked Korra's new chosen mission so far, not so sure about the other subplot. Old Zuko was great though. Its humor like that which is why I'm still watching. And did they ever use the term Unavaatu in show before? Because it sounds ridiculous, though descriptive.

Is it bad that I nearly cheered when they threw that kid into prison? Yeah, they're basically being enslaved for the Earth Queen's new army (I miss the old Earth King already), but nice to see the kid get some comeuppance for his antics, and hopefully it'll lead to some maturing after that. I expect Tenzin will come down hard on their flirting soon enough. Dai Li are still jerks, but they're just following proper orders this time.

I loved the Tenzin moments in the first episode, being so overjoyed that his chances of reviving the Air Monks had just drastically improved. Bumi was great too (somebody threaten my life so I can airbend!), too bad their recruitment efforts failed so spectacularly. And now there are a bunch of super-powerful benders on the loose, and their leader wasn't even a bender originally but is now an airbender. Well, at least Team Avatar won't just be beaten up by waterbenders this season, now they'll be beaten up by that new airbender too (that's just how this show goes, going all the way back to when the Gaang was on the run from Azula's unstoppable group).

Glad they're out of Republic City, was somewhat sick of it, especially with Korra and Raiko fighting it out in the popularity polls. If the President had actually helped Korra stop Unalaq last season, maybe things wouldn't have gotten so bad. Zuko on a dragon was probably the highlight of the three episodes, well that and that awkward elevator conversation.

12. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Loved the episodes. This is for now the best season of Korra and probably on par with Aang

13. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So just watched the first three episodes. While I still digest this, let me sum up my thoughts on them so far:

[​IMG]

And from reading the summaries of the Spanish leaks when they were first revealed, Book 3 really is shaping up to be something truly wonderful. But the next episode is going to air July 11?

[​IMG]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My thoughts:

-- I WAS RIGHT -- the United Republic really is just a small area of territory, with the other nations being independent as before. Hah. Take that, Wocky and Everton (I think?). :p

-- d'aww, Jinora! So glad she's joining Team Avatar officially. She's still my favorite, of course. Her embarrassment around that stupid kid is cute, but he is a terrible terrible person so she is well rid of him.

-- on that note, not terribly surprising to see a lot of people decline becoming an air nomad. Reminds me of the comics a bit -- strange that they wouldn't have the air acolytes to help them, actually. Hope to see followup on this, instead of just having it be the impetus for the plot to get set up.

-- lol that little cutesy face thing with the airship. Actually, the airship is pretty cool. Love the phoenix figurehead in front.

-- nice to see Korra actually not being an idiot for once.

-- still wanna see the Fire Lord at some point, but seeing Zuko was great. Also liked that they didn't just use Basco for him, which would've been weird.

-- interesting political plot with the poverty in Ba Sing Se, and he (apparent) desire to take on the United Republic. Ties in well with the comics actually, so it's about time.

-- not sure about the criminal gang plotline yet. The notion of them as randomly being the most powerful benders and being criminals is weird, but I suppose it's better than them being yet another group that wants to take over the world. Poor White Lotus being basically reduced to jailors. And they really are the Red Shirts of this series, aren't they? So much for being an ancient order of masters. :p

-- The Republic City stuff is getting really boring, so it's nice to get out of there. Hope we won't spend the whole season in Ba Sing Se though, I like that they're capturing the globe-trotting feel again. Still, was really cool to see the city and its intervening changes.

-- for the first time ever, Mako and Bolin have an interesting plot line

15. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    It makes me wonder this about the URN though: RC is clearly the capitol of the amalgam nation, but surely there must be other outlying cities as well?

Since the very beginning of the show, I've always wanted Jinora to become a permanent member of the group. Nothing against Tenzin, he's great and all, but Jinora just has so much more going for her. Out of the three airbender kids she's definitely my favorite. Plus, she's voiced by Sally Draper, you can't go wrong with that.

What was so great about Korra here was that we clearly see her development near the second half of Book Two carry over; she takes things with a more level-headed attitude now but she still has issues, and they're issues that are worth discussing: wondering if she was in the right with Harmonic Convergence, no more past Avatar advice, etc. When she and Tenzin have conversations, they actually felt like real conversations between a teacher and a student. If Korra actually became confrontational and gone off the handle, it's only because the people she talked to were the ones in the wrong this time.

16. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm still kind of eyerolling about Jinora, because it feels like she is being shoehorned in again, but at least she has a purpose in helping to convince people to become airbenders, as does Bumi, even though neither of them are really needed.. But I actually find Jinora more tolerable now that she has a dumb crush on that thief kid. I hope that blows up in her face.

And was anyone else reminded of the whole "Tenzin is Aang's favorite" thing with Tenzin bringing one of his three kids with him on an airbending trip, and leaving the other two behind? And coming up with that lame excuse when they complained: "Because if anyone shows up wanting to be airbenders, you two little kids can guide them". lol Right.

And with that thief kid; I don't hate him, but the the cocky-eyebrow-I'm-so-slick stuff can easily get old and obnoxious. And couldn't they have just used Bumi to get locked up instead? Why even bother making him an airbender? Surely Bumi could've gotten into some kind of trouble that would get him noticed.

And I still think Asami is pretty useless. She doesn't seem to do anything important here. She bonds with Korra. But why is she coming with them to find airbenders? She's still boring, boring, boring..

Bolin and Mako's family reunion is interesting.. Even though they aren't necessary either, at least they have a personal reason to come, to find their lost relatives.

And on the bright side, at least Kya was left behind, and the other two kids, and Lin.

And lol at Korra and Tenzin acting as the Airbender Mafia.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw two recordings on my DVR and freaked out for a second when people were saying there were three episodes. I now see that two eps aired from 7-8 and and one aired from 8-8:30, so I'm good. :)

According to TVGuide.com, on the 4th of July, they are re-airing the first two eps from 8-9.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Togruta... you're upset that Jinora is "shoehorned" into the crew but you're in the same breath bothered that Ikki and Meelo aren't coming too? Bzuh?

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Finished the three episodes. It was alright. At least the plot is moving forward instead of them thinking we'd like to watch a few episodes of Bolin starring in propaganda films. And I'm glad they're actually exploring the world instead of sitting in Republic City all the time.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't think Everton ever disputed the independence of the other nations. And he resents being associated with Wocky, thank you very much. :p

As for the first three episodes, I think they were very good. All the characters were in character, yet clearly developed since the last time we saw them. Story felt concise and interesting, the dialogues were good - all in all a very solid star to the series (unlike Book 2, which is somewhat reassuring). Great to see Zuko so early - it seems he will play a larger role than a mere cameo, to which I say AWESOME! :D Really looking forward to the rest of the series now.

21. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Uh.. no. Where did I say I was "upset" by any of that? I do think Jinora is getting some special treatment by the writers, but I explained that it's more tolerable since she has some purpose here. She's not necessary, but at least it's not as big a stretch as her suddenly being a spiritual super kid.

"And on the bright side, at least Kya was left behind, and the other two kids, and Lin."

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I like how Korra has basically two head of states as her enemies at this point. But she's on the right of it, IMO.

Also is it me or did episode 3 become Borderlands for a minute there?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Togruta -- I suppose the favoritism bit just struck me as strange. The magic light thing was bizarre but no less than the whole finale, so focusing on something so inconsequential as being part of the airship crew with everybody else was strange. I think it was fairly clear they need an airbender on Team Korra, and that it can't be Tenzin. So of course she's coming along.

Maria -- must've been somebody else here that was agreeing with Wocky, then. Perhaps Even? Either way, apologies to Everton then :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know if it was me, but the show has been extremely unclear about the political situation so you had as much chance of being right as anyone.

Hell, it's still unclear.

25. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    An unclear political situation that has many people confused? Just like in real life!
    -----------------------------
    So, apparently the lack of advertising was because Book 3 was supposed to premiere in the fall, but Nick decided to jump the gun and release it early after the leaks happened of a few of the episodes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrill...not-be-premiering-on-nickelodeon-this-friday/

However, I don't agree with some of the stuff said in the article. It wasn't fans that leaked the episodes, the company did. Sure, fans were the ones who recorded and shared them, but in the digital age, that's to be expected.