main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Why would Team Avatar need a young, experienced airbender? They didn't need one before, the kids were just side-characters, so why would they need one now? Of course I understand Jinora can help sell airbending, but they have how many airbenders in the group now? Why wouldn't Tenzin count? And Bumi, and the new kid? And Korra's a young airbender too.

But like I said, I find Jinora more tolerable even if she is still shoehorned in. At least she's not being singled out as some oh-so-special kid. And it's better than Asami still being forced into the group.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, my thinking was that the team would need a single bender of each element. Jinora , then, would be the obvious next member of the team. We couldn't have predicted the airbending plot but the thief and Bumi are irrelevant. They're inexperienced. The best candidate is Jinora, as the most experienced bender who isn't an old dude.

Sure, I made my conclusion based on The Promise's first issue and the representative basis of the council. We also knew that the Fire Lord, at least, was still around. And in season two we learned the water tribes were self-ruling with the Republican government unable to intervene.

But yeah I mean we didn't have any outright confirmation and season two in particular could've suggested a federal or UN system.

Isn't it basically clear now though? Unless you think the EQ is complaining about a DC sort of situation? Suppose that's technically plausible.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Where should One start from zero regarding this?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you've not seen Avatar: TheLast Airbender, watch that first (cartoon, not the execrable film) -- starting from season one. If not, then you can start from season 1 of this show.

As for where, I know that Amazon Prime streams Avatar.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You've totally confused me there. This is connected to the airbender stuff?

6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I think that reasoning is strange (Tenzin doesn't count because he's old?), and again, Korra is a young experienced airbender. But I guess it doesn't matter, because I wouldn't say Jinora is really part of Team Avatar. That seems to be Korra, Asami, and the brothers, and Tenzin seems more part of Korra's team than anyone else. Jinora's probably just tagging along for the kiddie appeal, and Asami's probably there so to include a non-bender. But they both come to some use, even if it's not really unique or necessary, so it's not that bad.

Anyway, these were just quibbles. I still really liked these episodes.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What is the Republic? Why does it exist if it's not a unifying entity? I remember getting the impression in season 1 that it was supposed to be the union of all the nations-- that the Fire Lord, Earth Queen, etc. were defunct offices and the President (or that council) ruled everyone. But apparently it's just another state Aang and Zuko created out of Fire Nation colonies for no good reason instead of just giving the territory back to the Earth Kingdom. Since Zuko was, you know, Fire Lord, wouldn't it have made sense for him to create a republic out of his own nation?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Diggy Korra is the follow up series to Avatar. They're in the same setting and chronology.

Togruta basically I'm saying that the team follows the pattern of the old show where it has a bender of each group. I don't count Korra as an airbender anymore than I count her as an earth bender.

And yes, I exclude Tenzin for being old. :p

I don't see Jinora as there to appeal to kids at all. I see it as quite the opposite: her precocious ness makes her interesting to the older audience.

Even: well I think the logic was that as a huge melting pot, it was inappropriate to cede to either power. Instead it became an independent experiment -- and an economically powerful one apparently. Probably attracted a lot of talent like Sato for being new and modern.

The republican form, then, allowed it to reflect its makeup while transcending its colonial origins.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Uh.. I doubt the writers included Jinora thinking "Let's bring her because the older audience likes her".

And again, why would the Korra Team Avatar need to follow that pattern now? Why count Jinora as part of Team Avatar? Why is Tenzin excluded for being old? Doesn't that mean Jinora can be excluded because she's young? Wouldn't they need a teenage airbender?

You obviously like Jinora, and that's fine. Like I keep saying, she makes some sense to bring along on the trip. But she's not needed, so I don't see how her presence is important. She's just tagging along.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I imagine Jinora's there for the growth of this new young thief kid.

Also, someone just pointed out that Desna and Eska are on a life changing field trip with Zuko.

ALSO I'm still kinda flailing about one of our new villains. Despite how much LOK has failed female characters so far, I am so freaking excited that they have introduced yet another disabled person who uses bending to their advantage and is still completely badass.

Ulicus and Mar17swgirl like this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    RE: Episodes

So far, so good. Really liked them, actually.

They felt a bit like the start of disc three of a Final Fantasy game, though. I think it's the airship. :p

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, when that airship first took off, I was tempted to hum the airship theme from FF 8 or 9.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sweet mother of all that's holy, I am so glad that there's humor again! I've not laughed consistently about this show since the final season of TLA.

GGrievous likes this.
  14. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    There does seem to be more spirit and suspense this time around. Maybe getting away from Republic City and Korra's relatives helped.. Though I do like that Desna and Eska are still involved. They were some of the highlights of last season IMO.

Also, I like how much Zuko sounds like Roku. Is that the same VA?

And the Earth Queen kinda reminds me of Frida Kahlo.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I was also glad to see them moving forward with Korra and Asumi as friends. While they obviously needed to address the Mako stuff, the fewer conversations they can have involving him from now on, the better.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, they're really good with making the Korra and Asami friendship go forward. We haven't seen that since Book One.

For better or for worse though, a certain...shipping group is really using their interactions here as ammo and support for their pairing...

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Eh, if they wanted to go down that route I'd have no real issue with it. As long as they didn't go all super fanservice-y on us.

Though neither Korra or Asami have shown any sign of being into their own gender, thusfar, so it would seem a little out of the blue.

On the other hand: teenagers.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My wonderful DVR decided to cut out just as Kai was being nabbed. Did the episode end after he was thrown in jail? Did the camera zoom out at all?

So, Harmonic Convergence appears to have turned a lot of non benders into air benders. So the question on my mind that I hope is addressed is why only air benders? Why didn't the spirit energy that spread throughout the entire world make a few fire, earth or water benders? Also, I forget, and it would have been nice if the show reminded us, but why are air benders so rare? Is it because the next avatar was slated to be one and the fire kingdom killed them all in an attempt to prevent him from being reincarnated? In the past 70 years no random air benders happened to be born? Can the air byson teach non benders how to bend air if they wanted?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Yes, the episode ended after he was thrown in jail.

Good questions. I can suspend belief for them though..

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    And even disbelief.

21. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree that the marketing has been weak, but 2 new episodes a week is good news in my book! If you, the viewer, wants to make the season "feel" longer then save the episodes on your DVR and watch 1 a week. In the age where Netflix dumps an entire season onto their server for your viewing pleasure, I welcome as many episodes as I can get. We're getting a Season 4, right? So ratings shmatings.

Jedi Merkurian and Ulicus like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's a longer season, right? I guess it's not too bad if they release two at a time.

Man, my Fridays have suddenly gotten amazing*. First a new episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in the morning, then two new episodes of Korra in the evening. :D

*Supposing this season is a huge step up from last

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, for all we know it did. But if a non-Bender from the Earth nation spontaneously starts bending fire, you're not going to get too many batted eyelashes, because the skill itself is pretty common and people are more likely to think, "Huh, I guess his dad was the milkman from the Fire Nation"

Airbending, on the other hand, is widely understood to be practically extinct.

25. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    The good news is that, at the very least, we know Book 4 is coming, so Nick has no choice but to accommodate them. Otherwise Nick would definitely can the show.

This also wouldn't bode well should Bryan and Mike, after they take time off, decide to make another Avatar show after Korra.