main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Guys, I just realized something.

The Earth Queen will probably want to eat Naga. There's no way she'd pass up the chance to dine on a creature as rare as a polar bear-dog.

2. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    [face_sick]

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You know, I kind of want the Red Lotus to succeed, at least with the Earth Kingdom.

Are they saying they want to assassinate world leaders, though? That wouldn't be good. And if you just topple the leader, the system will put someone new in place.

But overthrowing the Earth Queen? That would be good.

Su is definitely with the Red Lotus, she has the same goal as them. Which, like I said, the goal itself isn't bad. It's the actions they have taken and might take to achieve those goals that aren't good.

Nice continuity with Unalaq, he really was a hypocrite, traitor, and mastermind. I often wondered why Unalaq didn't try to get Korra earlier.

It's also nice to see so much more of the Spirits.

And I can totally get a split within the White Lotus... they do seem to be quite useless, "glorified bodyguards" now.

They even tried to reconcile the different versions of Pai Sho! :p

I want to learn more about the founder of the Red Lotus, and the air monk that Zaheer is always quoting.,,

I also think there's a chance that they will succeed. That would be an interesting end to Book 3 and beginning to Book 4.

I also wonder if they can make Amon into a member of the Red Lotus who was kicked out.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The Nick player kept crapping out, though on a positive note, the episode looked good once it got out of its pixelized state as it started. Nice HD.

Episode itself :
    Soooooo boring in the beginning. Oh yeah, we love seeing Bolin fail at things over and over again.

Oh come on, this did not need to be a scene that dragged on as long as it did. Lots and lots of pai sho while we're doing a stake out and in the middle of this serious situation. What, are they trying to make Asami seem necessary to the mission by beating Bolin at pai sho? Total fail on that.

And Aiwei's there, and he's meditating. Korra meditates too. More sitting around.

Hey, Zaheer, let's talk. Zaheer wants too much freedom. The philosophical stuff and mention of Unalaq was interesting, but not particularly surprising. I hope Zaheer comes to become something more than another Unalaq.
    I also got The Rift part 2 today, which I liked more than this episode. I hope they keep these comics coming.

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the point of the pai sho was to show the passage of time during their stake out without a boring montage of people pacing. It was better than pacing.

Lord Vivec and Coruscant like this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Finally a villain who is an ancap.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sometimes I wonder if you're serious. This season has been full of action, and this episode was no exception.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Red Lotus: Communists (Think Reds vs Whites of the Russian Civil War); rhetoric about bringing down the world governments (The Four Kingdoms (Fascists and Monarchs, Republic City = Democracy) to form a stateless, classless society.

Guru Lahima = Karl Marx (inspiration for the movement)

Xai Bau = Vladimir Lenin (founders)

Unalaq = Stalin (uses ideology to further power for himself)

Zaheer = ?

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Nah, Amon was the
    communist, these guys are just violent anarchists

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The symbolism around Amon and the Equalists was definitely French Revolution. I think my analogy fits better.

11. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006

An interesting interpretation that I read of that scene was:

• At first, it seems like the entire Pai Sho game between Bolin and Asami is simply filler. But remember that originally, Pai Sho was the way that White Lotus members would use to identify one another. In the rule book, it talks about how throughout the centuries there have been variations of the game of Pai Sho. That's a reference to the differences between the Red and White Lotus organizations. So when Bolin tells Korra she needs to standardize the rules of Pai Sho, he's unintentionally telling her to work out the differences between the Red and White Lotus.

And I guess this episode helped answer one question: "How did Zaheer know that Korra was in Zaofu?"

He was (probably) meeting with Aiwei in the Spirit World, who told him Korra was there.

12. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty sure they're just wizards shooting stuff at each other.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I, too, read /r/thelastairbender after each episode!

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hmm, how would you guys rate the main villains so far?
    Admiral Zhou, Azula, Fire Lord Ozai, Amon/Noatak, Tarrlok, Unalaq, Vaatu, Verrick, the Earth Queen, Zaheer

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Jesus ghost spoilers. Wocky doesn't know who the villain of this season is yet.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    1. Melon Lord
    2. Everyone else

17. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Melon lord wasn't really a villain. Melon lord was just misunderstood.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, good deduction about how Zaheer found out about Korra's whereabouts. Though its kind of convenient for both of them to be able to reach the spirit world on their own, you'd think it be a rarer ability. Last season, even Tenzin couldn't do it (he just didn't have the "gift") but his daughter did. I feel kind of sorry for Aiwei though- he's not even dead, he's stuck with his worst memories forever. That shows just what kind of people the Red Lotus are.

I forgot Pai Sho originally had something to do with the White Lotus. The group has been seriously weakened recently, going from a small but elite group of masters to just cannon fodder. I don't mind them in the peacekeeping role, the Avatar needs some help since otherwise most of the other Avatar support groups were destroyed during the Hundred Year War. Just wish the "Bolin losing" gag hadn't dragged on so long and that the one time Bolin was close to winning, Pabu messed up the game. Bolin just can't get a break or do anything really. At least Mako had more experience with stakeout-ish matters.

I read through the Rift Part 2 as well, nice to see more progress on most of the plots, aside from that inconvenient interruption when Aang finally got past the backstory and was about to get some answers. More Toph is always good and glad both Toph and Aang cooled down a bit after arguing so much in the first part. Wonder when the conclusion will be, not sure if the date for that has been announced yet.

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wonder if you'd think the same if I said nothing but praise for every episode..

This season has been better than season 2, and it's had action, but it's had its boring parts too. I'd prefer a short scene of the daylight turning to night from the window over wasting time on the pai sho game. This show doesn't exactly have lots of time to kill with its seasons being 12-13 episodes, I just wish they wouldn't waste as much time as they have with pointless sidetracks that add nothing and aren't that interesting to watch. It's not like I'm giving up on the show, I just think it could do better.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I actually thought the episode was quite nice, and the pai sho thing worked well enough. I certainly preferred it to other styles of stakeout montage.

Having said that, the invocation of Unalaq made no sense at all. Yes, he was power-hungry. But everything we learned about the character told us that he was also fairly sincere. His whole belief structure and identity was built around the idea of himself as a member of the Water Tribe's royal family. He had a strong focus on tradition and continuity, and if anything was styled as a revanchist. This was apparent not only in his public speeches, but affirmed by those working with him, like the Guardian of the library.

Are we really supposed to believe those sentiments dovetail with belief in complete anarchism? How?

21. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought the episode was nice. The only problem I really had is that Korra was completely clueless as to what Zaheer was doing. And since when could someone do something in the spirit world AND in the physical world? If it has happened, then I must've missed it, but I was under the impression that your very consciousness left your physical body, which would mean that he split his consciousness. Not only that, but if he has that ability, why did his significant other feel the need to stay behind to "protect his body", since apparently he can do the switcheroo thing at will.

22. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012

1. AmoNoatak
    2. Varrick
    3. Vaatu
    4. Zaheer
    5. Azula
    6. Unalaq
    7. Fire Lord Ozai
    8. Earth Queen
    9. Long Feng
    10. Tarrlok
    11. Admiral Zhao

Ghost likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think Unalaq didn't really believe in the anarchism, especially with him becoming the Dark Avatar. He probably learned enough about the Spirits from the Red Lotus to form his own ideas, then planned on using them to kidnap Korra.

It's definitely new, but I think he was straining himself to just say those few words. It must be akin to being able to control your sleep-talking while you're asleep and lucid dreaming.

I forgot Long Feng!

But I agree that those top 5 should be in the top 5, though I'm not sure of their order yet.

As for what the Red Lotus wants to do with Korra now, I have two ideas...
    1. Somehow use her to make it possible for everyone to bend all 4 elements
    2. Reawaken Vaatu inside Raava

24. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Nick is doing a pretty bad job of keeping these episodes under lock and key.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, not sure if Nick is intentionally this incompetent or not. For the sake of the series, not sure which answer would be better or worse.