main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I wonder why all the new airbenders only surfaced in the Earth Kingdom. Why not in the rest of the world?

Also, this is too awesome not to post.

[​IMG]

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm sure the rate of new airbenders was basically the same all over, but the Earth Kingdom is what, 75% of the global population?

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think they did an excellent job showing Tenzin had the upper hand. I don't recall Zaheer landing a single hit until the other two started. Without their help, Tenzin would have taken out Zaheer. He landed several good hits and avoided all of Zaheer's.

Also, I think Tenzin is still breathing. If he wasn't, Korra would go full on Avatar State on them. They need Tenzin as leverage. That was always their goal.

Great seeing Iroh. Would be cool if Korra could bring Zuko into the spirit world. Also, wasn't Aang in the spirit world last season? Sure communicating the old way with past avatars might be gone (And I like the idea of Korra turning to other experts like Zuko) but Aang at least might be reachable in the spirit world.

4. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Also did we ever get to see what happened to Opal after she was held "hostage" by Ming Hua

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Think she was part of the crowd scene? No lines, and the airbenders are mainly there to be leverage for Korra.

It was a really cool airbending battle. I wish Tenzin had taken him out faster, but oh well, at least Tenzin was clearly winning. The Kya vs. water-tentacles was somewhat one-sided though. Kya was trying to hold on, but then she threw water at her opponent... and then she has more tentacles, great. Bumi was funny to watch, but he is only an amateur airbender and we haven't really seen him as a cool soldier. Last season when he took out that water tribe camp, it still seemed more like dumb luck rather than actual planning. I do wish some of the new airbenders weren't quite so powerful, especially Zaheer (since at Zaofu he was more than holding his own, and he escaped from Kya back in Republic City too), but guess the theme of the Red Lotus is being overpowered (lavabending, combustion women, etc.).

I don't think Tenzin actually met Aang but rather that was just a representation of Tenzin's own issues with his father, of trying to live up to him. Though I think Aang encountered at least one past avatar in the spirit world? No idea if that was just a vision or a ghost, though I think it was a ghost (the previous water tribe avatar).

6. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    She's in the aforementioned crowd scene next to Kya.

[​IMG]

Ghost likes this.
  7. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    I also gotta say finally seeing an airbending vs. Airbending fight was pretty awesome for the short time we had it for

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe this was discussed already, but I wonder how the lavabending thing actually works. I could see an earthbender being able to manipulate existing lava since it's still essentially rock, but what's he actually doing that would turn solid rock instantly liquid without the involvement of firebending?

Now that I think about it, I guess you could ask the same question about waterbenders making instant ice.

9. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    My headcanon is that one of Ghazan's parents was a firebender and the other an earthbender. He was born with the latter ability, but his firebending ancestry gives him the ability to heat up rock as well.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I can understand why it works well enough, I just don't see why it's such an impressive power. It's hot rocks. And? That makes it somewhat more dangerous to get hit, but giant boulders careening at you are pretty devastating all on their own. I don't see why it's inherently any harder or easier to block or counter than normal earth bending. Why are we supposed to care?

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think there's any multi-bending for ordinary benders, that's kind of the Avatar's thing..

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My favorite trick of Ghazan's is still the first thing he did--slicing through his cage with those little burning ninja stars.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That's one of the issues I've had with this season - lava manipulation has always been a firebending trait, not earthbending (examples: that short shot of an unnamed Fire Nation Avatar in "The Avatar State" causing volcanoes to erupt; Sozin and Roku battling the volcano in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord"). And okay, even if normal earthbenders could manipulate molten rock (in which case, why couldn't Toph simply bend away that underground lava river during the invasion?), they shouldn't be able to change solid rock into lava - that's heat manipulation, again a firebending trait!

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's what waterbenders do with water/ice, though. He probably studied waterbenders (and firebenders) to learn his lavabending trick.

Anyways, any predictions for the finale? Is Tenzin dead or alive? What do the Red Lotus want with Korra?

15. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I hope they give an explanation about why airbenders suddenly started popping up.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The only lava benders we've seen so far were avatars (Kyoshi and Roku) we haven't seen a single non-avatar fire bender that could lava bend, and Sozin wasn't lavabending in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" but dissipating the heat from the lava which makes it look like he was airbending actually :p .

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The lines between the "elements" are arbitrary anyway. Obviously they're based on ancient misunderstandings of the natural world and there's no reason an earthbender should have trouble "metalbending" or a firebender should be able to "lightning bend."

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I assume that's just the result of the portals staying open and the natural order reasserting itself.

Ghost likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Young Tenzin looks very Peter Pan in that last one.

21. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006

Well, I'm not convinced that Tenzin is dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Other than that... I got no idea.

22. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Wow, great finale, I actually rewatched an episode

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Damn... I was expecting something big, but wasn't expecting all of that.

I really, really hope there's a Book 4. So we can see someone happy again :(

Poor Korra :( Blind and handicapped. Maybe Toph will appear to help guide her? And her torture/poisoning scene was horrible to watch.

Good throwback to the ATLA finale. As well as seeing Amon, Unalaq, Vaatu again.

Zaheer flying... it was building up to that all season, but it was still surprising to see.

Jinora looks just like Aang. And Tenzin lives. :) It was cool to see Airbenders working together too like that.

Speaking of Aang, that was a lot of violence. Killing in self-defense a couple times, partially-successful murder-suicide, heads combusting. The poisoning.Yikes.

Su seemed a little conflicted, but she turned out to be on the good side. And that was vital, more than once.

Bolin saving the day.

What's with Kuvira?

24. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
  25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Am I a horrible person for wanting to see Korra as Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad fanart, really the only thing missing is the bell. :p

She's not blind or else Asami would have been the most inconsiderate person in the avatar universe, as for Kuvira they're foreshadowing the character for the next season.