main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

o_O

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    He looks a little young to be her son to me.

I am expecting a more distant relative, like a great-nephew twice removed or something.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think after this season the earth kingdom will have a president and a democracy.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I wonder what an old azula would look like.

5. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Seems odd that Hou-Ting's adviser would side with Kuvira when there's still an heir to the throne. He seemed loyal, if a bit skittish.

On a related note, I'm totally rooting for the "bad guys" this time around.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Meh

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So... my new internet connection won't allow me to watch videos on my laptop due to bandwidth (all Team Leaders have to share the same one in housing) and my iPhone won't play videos from nick.com (though YouTube and other videos work). Anyone know how I can watch the final season?

8. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    OK, so I just watched it.

Non spoiler thoughts: A SUPERB start to the season.

We can clearly see the three years having an effect. Mako is Prince Wu's bodyguard, Bolin works under Kuvira alongside Varrick, Zhu Lee, and Opal's older brother. Asami's company has bounced back and is helping in restoring RC and the Earth Kingdom's ties. True to last season, the airbenders are now playing Jedi and helping bring order to the Earth Kingdom's states, with this episode focusing on the state of Yai and Kai's and Opal's efforts to help the city. Kuvira (still voiced by Zelda Williams) travels by train throughout the kingdom bring law and order as well, but with much harder methods.

We get the impression that Kuvira is certainly no fool, taking a band of bandits down single-handedly and bringing these bandits into her fold and increasing her power base. The governor of Yai is apprehensive of Kuvira's offer of protection, and Opal is not happy with Bolin and her brother working for her, especially with the brother being engaged to Kuvira. Something apparently happened three years ago with Kuvira and the brother leaving Zaofu and betraying Su Yin, but that's all we know so far. After an incident where Kai and Opal lose critical supplies, they have no choice but to convince the governor to pledge Yai under Kuvira. Bolin's and Opal's relationship is on the rocks.

Prince Wu is a total fop and is the subject of ridicule and protests. Mako isn't happy with his position and is further disappointed when RC president Raiko forces Lin to have Mako be his permanent bodyguard. Lin is also upset by the arrangements. A southern water tribe ship pulls up to Air Temple island and Tenzin's family is happy to see Korra, but Tonraq is surprised to find that Korra isn't on Air temple island. Korra apparently left the SWT 6 months prior and through correspondence with Tonraq said that she's in RC, but Tenzin thought she was still in the SWT. Korra is still missing.

The episode ends in an Earthbending caged fighting arena where Korra, with her new haircut, is bouting. She does extremely badly, and the person who gives her small winnings notes that she bears a resemblance to the Avatar. Korra leaves and says that she wouldn't know.

9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Pretty good start.
    I liked all the dividing stories with the characters, especially Kuvira and the airbenders' different approaches to the town's situation.

Those airbender superhero/ circus-performer outfits are.. rather ridiculous.

The prince is basically a more spoiled Bolin. Not much opinion about him..

Kuvira kind of seems like a mix between Azula and Long Feng. I notice her eyebrows resemble Mako's. Any chance of relation?

And finally we get to Korra, who's just seems to want to put her Avatar days behind. Can't blame her.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Meelo is a man now, they grow up so fast. :(

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Those backgrounds when he said that though made me burst out into laughter. He's so adorable. Lol.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Meelo is still great, too bad Rohan was just a background character. He's still only about three or four, but just was curious if he would have any quirks (or would be an airbender or not), but then this premiere had a lot of stuff to cover. Nice opening recap, with a tourist video of Republic City which has adjusted to the spirit wilds (though otherwise don't think spirits are doing anything). And too bad the premiere was only one episode, got used to having hour long premieres, though the really short gap between season 3 and 4 makes up for that.

So Bolin's working for the wrong people... again. Even if I hadn't seen the trailer, the stormtrooper parallels are pretty clear. I just somewhat hope it doesn't turn out Kuvira is behind the stolen supplies, that would be predictable (bandits have airplanes now?). Given Opal's reference to her mother, sounds like something serious happened shortly after season 3, she probably wouldn't approve of the evil empire approach. Being really reminded of Azula at her best/worst now with the PR and "negotiations".

Too bad the airbenders couldn't do much, don't care much for the new airbender outfit, I miss the old gliders. But it is nice to see Kai and Opal have a larger role. Wonder if we'll see more in future episodes of the contrast between the Air Nomads' free help and Kuvira's more aggressive approach.

Ouch, Korra is still in the dumps and with no hope in sight. At least she hasn't been locked up or something and is still walking, but not much else. The only other character close to that bad off is Mako, who sounds like he's going to be stuck babysitting the great-nephew of the last earth queen for a long time. At least so far he appears idiotic rather than tyrannical like his great-aunt. And huh, they actually said killed and assassinated, is that a first in the series? Though his reign probably won't last long with Kuvira setting herself up as an empress in all but name.

Hopefully once Korra pulls herself together things will turn around. Its not a dark future, but there are some uncomfortable undertones to several of the plots. Too bad she managed to leave the south pole, alone, without anyone noticing how bad shape she was in, but guess everybody else was busy.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    To be honest I'd forgotten all about Korra until the ship arrived without her. Kuvira's definitely got 'something about her'. She's the potential to be the most interesting villain since Amon.

14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    A more proper book four name is The Dark Korra Rises.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Kuvira is glorious.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Female Chiang Kai-Shek.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Even, are you blind? She is a female Lin Zexu.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My new favorite character

[​IMG]

EDIT: I hate you Even.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I get that a lot. ​

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What are you people on about? She is not corrupt in the least. She is the Righteous Kuvira Stamping Out Evil.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    She's leading a nationalist army to unite China The Earth Kingdom after the fall of the Qing Dynasty Earth Queen. Sure, Sun Yat-Sen was more a revolutionary leader, but he's nowhere as famous as Kai-Shek and definitely not as nationalist.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Plus the "bandit" who stole the supplies from the airbenders was transparently one of her men. The show characteristically wasn't exactly subtle about it.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What are you talking about? He looked nothing like her troops. Anyway, she doesn't need force to convince people of her cause. Were that the case, the Dai Li could have reconquered the provinces on behalf of the royal family. Everyone knows they are the greatest Earthbenders of all. The Earth King is feckless, the daughter of Yue abandons her heritage. I will tell you the secret: Mighty Kuvira Stands In Love.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ignoring the psychobabble above, I've got to say I do hope Kuvira isn't behind all the bandits. Maybe that air raid, but I hope she's more of a Vader than a Sidious. She does remind me of Amon and Azula. Wonder what happened to split the Metal Clan and what Kuvira will plan for the prince.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not behind all the bandits, no. Just the one who happened to take critical supplies and force the governor to swear fealty to her.