main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Coming soon for DS!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Lando, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just announced today at the GDC!!!

A new 2D Zelda in the cel-shaded Wind Waker style, exclusive to the DS. It looks as if the top screen will be used for maps, and probobly inventory and such as well, while the bottome screen is where all the action takes place.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Thank you for this, my pants have been soiled. :)

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    This looks so much like Wind Waker. It's glorious.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Hoorah

Just need Twilight Princess to tide me over [face_frustrated]

5. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    i wish i had a DS :(

6. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Could i care less? No, not really.

*Hem* I want Twilight Princess.

7. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Just read the news on IGN! All I can say, is wow. This is gonna be awesome. Plus, cool title.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm...I really need to finish TWW, OOA, OOS and TMC...before this fall...

What really excites me about TPH is that it takes TWW's graphics and puts them in the classic 2D-down angle for gameplay, which is fantastic since many of the TWW's visual touches were reminiscent of LOZ and ALTTP. It'll be awesome to have them presented in this manner given that aspect of the design.

10. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Exactly, I think the art design is much better fitted towards handheld. I love Wind Waker, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit the art style put a lot of people off. I think this seems more like a match.

11. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I was hoping for more of a 'behind the back' type view game, but this works too.:)

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well it seems to alter the camera depending on the location- dungeons seem top-down while overworld islands and sailing seem to be more like TWW's camera angles.

And watching the preview video, it's using the Dark World Overworld Theme from ALTTP.

That's really all I need- a top-down Zelda using the best piece of video game music ever made. Sold.

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    QFT, now if only TP has it then I'll be a happy Zelda fan (mind you I've heard the TP overworld theme and its great)

14. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I was particularly impressed with what they were doing with the touch pad. They used it to allow the user to draw the path of the boomerang, which seemed very cool (did I see that right? It was a boomerang, right?).

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeah it was the boomerang :)

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like you also use the touch pad to draw your sailing course while at sea- I'm guessing that helps fill in the lack of a Wind Waker wand.

17. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i knew it'd only be a matter of time before they made a zelda title for the ds, i'm glad that time is now. so you can poke the boomerang with the stick, eh?

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So who wants to bet that the "Phantom Hourglass" will be yet another device to allow Link to do something with time? That would make this what, the 5th(?) Zelda game involving time travel?

19. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Hey since we know that the Zelda characters get reincarnated, when do we get to see the game where all the Links gather to destroy like an Uber-Ganon from the future?

Like on that one episode of Spider-man. :)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Be an interesting approach to finally give us a post-AOL Zelda title.

21. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Does anyone have a real chronology of the Zelda games? Despite the fact that time does go on, it always seems to be the same era.

22. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    To the best of my knowledge, I don't think there is one. Would be cool to have, though.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are multiple timeline theories and no one in particular is official (the only one we've ever gotten was an offhanded one from Miyamoto that makes no sense upon analysis).

That said, there are certain aspects that do establish their rough relation, though exactly how much time spans between the various epochs is next to impossible to determine with any certainty.

-Starting with the original game as a reference point, we know Adventure of Link is a direct followup to Legend of Zelda. So they are of the same era.
    -A Link to the Past was designed to be a prequel to the original two games, likely centuries earlier.
    -Link's Awakening is supposed to feature the same hero from ALTTP, so they are of the same era.
    -Ocarina of Time is definitely a prequel to ALTTP, as not only is it obviously the earliest occuring on the timeline, but that it's story is essentially a telling of ALTTP's backstory. We know centuries pass between OOT and ALTTP based on ALTTP's backstory as well.
    -We know Majora's Mask is a sequel to OOT, for mostly obvious reasons from it's initial premise. So it is of the same era as OOT.
    -The Oracle games take place after Hyrule is at peace and all three Triforces are united, as wll as some time after Ganon (in pig form) has been killed (as he is briefly resurrected in the game). The only two times all of these conditions are met is either after ALTTP or after AOL. Given that the Link of ALTTP went exploring afterwards (as established in LA) and that we see the same ship in teh Oracle games that Link is aboard at the start of LA, it's generally accepted they occur between ALTTP and LA.
    -The Wind Waker, going by it's various references to the events if OOT, definitely takes place at least 1 or 2 centuries after OOT, and from what I'm told, it most likely occurs between OOT and ALTTP, though I'm personally hoping it's possible to shift it to sometime after ALTTP, as the geography of Hyrule and other details match up better.
    -The Minish Cap, from what I've heard, is almost impossible to nail down it's chronology placement since it lacks any of the usla points of reference (connections to previous games, presenting the status of Ganon or the Triforce, etc).

It's anyone's bet as to where Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass will be set, though it would seem PH would most likely take palce after TWW. TP will most likely be somewhere in the general vincity of TWW or OOT, since they seem to concentrate around that era the most.

Anyways, that leaves us with this:

OOT
    MM
    --
    TWW
    PH?
    --
    ALTTP
    OOA/OOS
    LA
    --
    LOZ
    AOL

24. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Well with Minish Cap, can't it be assumed since the hero looks the same as TWW?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's possible- it is the only thing to go by, but then art style might not be a definite means of determining a timeline palcement- afterall, for all we know, TP could be a sequel to TWW and they are about as far apart as your gonna get in terms of style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.