main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Leia and the Force/Jedi thread.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Baghdad, Jan 4, 2016.

1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    While I understand that Leia might not have had the motivation to become a Jedi and all that entails, she knew she had some ability in the Force; after all, she knew she could sense things, if nothing else. What strikes me as odd is that there does not appear to have been ANY development in her skills. I'm not talking about becoming full-fledged Jedi, I just mean having some better Force skills. This is not like being able to draw well and then rarely ever drawing. This is an ability that is extremely rare throughout the galaxy. Just as a point of human nature, wouldn't most people be curious to learn a little more about it, to want to test it out a little bit more?

MattOrgana likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    After Palpatine's reign of tyranny, I'd think being a powerful Force user would be the kiss of death to a politician's career. Who is going to vote for another one of those people after all that Sheev did to the galaxy? Leia may have decided she could do more good as a mundane or muggle whom people could trust than she could as a known student of arcane abilities. Even without developing powers, I'm sure many of her colleagues would be wary of her; "Senator Organa invited me to her office to discuss our differences on the taxation of outlying trade routes! How will I know if her arguments are really persuasive or if she's just mind-tricking me?!"

MattOrgana likes this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It would be interesting if Leia developed a mental connection to the Force.
    Maybe she could turn Kylo to the light by using her force powers to fight Kylo dark side, inside his mind.

Like a Jedi mind trick, except it works in strong minds as well.... that would be kick-ass

4. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    1. Leia was never "in charge" of the rebels or the Republic. She was a rebel sympathizer smuggling plans to the rebel base, then did take a leadership role on Hoth, and then participated in a dangerous mission on Endor. Never said she was in charge of the rebels. She was just a good leader and a princess (though actually, she's not!)

2. She couldn't become a Jedi because it would interfere with her duties. How? Why would becoming a Jedi require her to stop helping out the rebels/Republic? Isn't that exactly what the Jedi do? Sure, she needed to have time for diplomatic missions, but if we go by PT logic Jedi did those all the time anyway. Also, by OT canon, you don't have to undergo classes in a temple in order to be a Jedi. Becoming attuned with the Force was just about accepting it and letting it flow through you. She wouldn't have to go to Jedi Camp or something.

3. I don't know when it was established that you have to have "Force sensitivity" to be trained in the Force. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan just invites Luke to start learning about being a Jedi because his father was one. Never said he had special Force powers. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought it was more about believing than being gifted or not. Luke never showed signs of Force sensitivity before Ben started training him.

4. Yeah, she would not have turned down at least learning about the Force. Maybe she didn't wanna wear robes and live in a temple training younglings all her life, but I imagine that she wouldn't have simply refused any training. We haven't seen her that much though, so she could still reveal some affinity to the Force. And, now that we are back to OT Force, it isn't all about wearing robes, lightsabers and acrobatics. It's back to the character of the Jedi. She could be a Jedi (whether they call her that or not) who simply chooses the life of a diplomat (or general or whatever she is).

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    @ Daharis: It was established basically in the PT that only children with Force sensitivity were taken to be trained as Jedi. If anyone could train to be a Jedi, then Force sensitivity means nothing. It would just mean that Force sensitivity is a latent ability that everyone has that only requires training, like the ability to read or write. But considering that Qui-Gon tested Anakin's midichlorian count, there is obviously some level of Force sensitivity necessary for someone to be trained as a Jedi. And moreover, even if Luke never showed any overt signs of Force sensitivity before Obi-Wan trained him, that doesn't mean that he didn't use it on some subconscious level (i.e. "Luke is the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories!"). Also, Obi-Wan knew very well that Anakin was Luke's dad, so he would have suspected that Luke might have inherited some of his dad's abilities in the Force, or perhaps, being Force sensitive himself, Obi-Wan could sense it in Luke.

6. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    It sounds like a type of mutation, of a "magical type", that strikes at random ( or at the Force's discretion) but if you have it, all your descendants will too. That is why they were careful to protect Anakin's kids and why Snoke went after Ben. Apparently Force sensitivity is always passed to a Force sensitive's offspring, even when one parent is a "muggle". So it is assumed if one of your parents has it, you will too.