main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****The Leias Buns Public House****

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Jedi_Jimbo, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It would be, its Jimbo's pub :p

passes tea

2. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Thanx Richie. Jim needs sacking. We need someone who cares about their customers. I suggest a mutiny [face_whistling]

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [face_thinking]

Then who would be the barman?

4. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    HOLD YOUR TONGUES!
    I will not have mutiny in this pub.
    It is Richies place to entertain in my abscence.

Anyway, I had real life stuff to do.
    It was scarey!!!!!!!

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Sounds like it [face_worried]

6. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    But I have survived and that is the main thing.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  8. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    *Falls off of bar*

I was ... errr ... polishing the bar with my head.
    I wasn't asleep.

*Brushes cob webs from face*

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  10. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    I cant believe that no one has been in here in three days! Its the barmans fault! I told you we needed to sack him! [face_devil]
    Whilst Im waiting for the rest of the mutineers, I'll have a cup of tea please :)

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    passes tea

This place is even worse then the regional Pub, and its nothing to do with young people either :p

12. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    I think it is just a lack of Londoners.

For the capital of Britain we are a very quiet chapter!
    The Midlands are showing everyone how it should be done.
    I hope to one day be like the Midlands chapters.

13. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    It is terrible that we have so few members. I mean, Im a yorkshire man and If I can bear the horrible stench that is cockneys, Im sure everyone else can! :p

Of course, Im only joking. Remembering that Im married to a girl from Hackney and that with the exeption of been away with the army for a couple of years here and there, Ive lived down south for the last 8 years so I dont mind shandy drinkers any more :)

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Our big problem is not being twinned
    The Midlands are fortunate to be twinned with a big FanForce, and members of that FanForce post there

Plus they get a lot of other UK posters visiting, like me & Jimbo and Nic

We need to asess what they have that we have not and make sure we get it

Maybe we should ask some posters why they dont visit

I'm working on a scheme to bring foreigners back to FFUK, and if that works then they might visit here too

15. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    I hope it does not involve sweeties, because that is illegal mate!

Seriously, I am getting SW DVD Trivial Pursuit and SW monopoly for xmas.
    We could try and set up some sort of games day or something.

16. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Nothing wrong with a good pint of Shandy, or half a pint seeming as we're Londoners ;)

We are a quiet chapter, although we have been a lot quieter in the past and meets do happen now and again which always helps. Sadly, people do get busy and lose interest, and getting new members will now be even harder because there aren't any fims left to spark major interest. We could create a 'Welcome to London' thread to help ease newbies in.

Your plans to get more foreigners posting sounds interesting Richie. And I like the sounds of some game threads Jimbo. If I come up with any ideas I will certainly suggest them.

Now, where's my Shandy?? :p

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    passes shandy to Wiz

You forget we are only a single city, while the other chapters are whole regions
    Regions are bigger and more populated then cities, so the regional chapters are likely to have more members then us

I think once we get twinned with another FanForce and get a new cool avatar and our other site running properly we will be better then the other chapters, just with less people :p

Plus we no longer have the advantage of having an RSA who is a Londoner. Yoshee was CR of London and used his mod-abilities and friendship with StormtrooperFan to make sure we got all the deals and attention that the other chapters didn't get.

Now that is happening to the Midlands since Jairen is a Midlander
    We just have to except the power shift and try to keep up as best we can

18. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

you what? shandy?

* smacks richie upside the helmet *

pfffft, this is my first visit too. i certainly wouldn't ask for shandy :p

and

jairen being a midlander has had very little to do with how we have progressed as a chapter. yes he is a midlander, and yes he has had the contacts and influence to get us twinned, but our chapter's success has more to do with us ALL actually doing things and driving us forward. it's about desire i suppose. everyone of our chapter's members has had an input, and rightly or wrongly we have done things that were required, jumped guns, gone over people's heads and spoken to people that maybe it wasn't our place to, after all we elected a cr to do things, but we all have done things without going through him, again rightly or wrongly. things have gone on behind the scenes that will never likely become public knowledge, and it certainly hasn't been plain sailing. we have regular meets, at least one a month, and we are in regular contact with each other off the boards as well as on them.

you just have to take the ball and run with it, but i resent the statement that it is phill's influence that has made us what we are. (and that isn't saying that what he has done isn't appreciated, because it is)

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You didn't get great cos Phill made you great, thats not what I meant, its just as you said, he used his influence to help you get off your feet and to give you good stature as a chapter.

Just as Yoshee did to this place, unfortunately it was unable to sustain itself after his departure. All the foreigners left, the website never got used and mosot of the senior posters left.
    Thankfully we have restored it a little, but it needs much more work

The Midlands chapter is fortunate that it has many members and that a lot of posters from around FFUK like posting there.

We need to devise a scheme to get people to post here more

If raj has the time to get us twinned with a decent FanForce we might get more visitors, but until then we must run things ourselves

20. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    you don't really need people to post here to make your chapter great. it's just posting at the end of the day. i could post as many posts as i physically could every day, but that wouldn't further the chapter any at all, or make me "great" ;)

meets are where it's at. if you have more meets, then "outsiders" will see that this is more than just an online thing, and that you actually get off your asses and do something in the real world too, and therefore more people will want to get involved. you don't need an event or special occasion to get together. the way i see it is that you actually have to get together and meet up, the boards are just a way of organising that, and are not the be all and end all. you can have the highest post count in the history of the boards, but what does that matter in the great scheme of things?

a chapter is greater than the sum of it's parts, and shouldn't have to rely on one person holding the fort.

just my 2p ;)

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, we have done a lot of meeets thise year, more then I ever remember this place having before

But this place is still looking a bit rusty
    Thankfully Tice's new banner has brightned it up

Once Raj is not so busy we can go ahead with more stuff

But I suppose we can always do a few things without him

22. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Thanks for you input Wiz (and sorry Richie seems to be getting us two confussed :p ), you make some excellent points and I agree with you. Phil has done wonders for the whole of the FF-UK and not just the Midlands FF. I've been here longer then most and have seen a lot of people and RSA's come and go, and right now things are definitely at there very best thanks to Phil and a wave of newbies that are a great bunch and want to do meets :D
    People have left these forums for all mannor of reasons, and for many years things were very stale. Now that we have a very active RSA who actually attends meets, I think it's helped encourage everyone to get things going across the country.

I think meeting once a month is a great start. In Germany they have official Star Wars dinners, where once a month people meet up for a dinner (as the name may have suggested), and this takes place across the whole country and for me, works very well. It's probably pretty much what the Midlands FF do when they meet once a month and I know that there's a Dr Who club that do the same thing. We could copy that format, settle for a particular day and time where we meet once a month, find a good pub or restaurant and spend the evening chatting. Having a consistent social gathering would help and gives everyone a point of focus, which would also help new comers as there's always that opportunity to break the ice and get involved.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea

24. Jedi_Jimbo

Oct 1, 2004
    *Puts up Christmas Decs and decorates the tree*

It's gonna be a very merry christmas!

25. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    And I'm around guys... whilst I am a midlander, the reason they are doing so well is exactly as Wiz said, they want there group to be something, and as such they are pushing it forward, kicking and screaming at times, but always onwards and upwards.

If you need me for anything, I'm a PM or e-mail away. No worries. I know I'm going to try to get to Collectormania at the G-Mex early next year, because I want to get to a Northern meet, and I want to get down to you guys as well early next year. I think it is important that I spend time with all the chapters.

With regards to the differences between regions and cities, to be honest you guys should have a better chance. London is huge, but it has pretty good transport links. Travel shouldn't be a major issue for you. Imagine when the midlands meet, we travel between 50 and 70 miles EACH WAY, depending on where we are coming from. That's across London East to West and back again TWICE.

You should be having meets left, right and centre.

You need to look at what you're offering as well. A lot of people don't want to spend time chatting on boards, however they might come on and check when the next real world meet is, when the next Star Wars get together is etc, etc. You need to expand, find other ways of getting yourselves out there. The name change idea is a good start, be fresh, something new to start off the new year.

Overall, I'm here for you guys, so tell me what you want or need and I'll do my best to get it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.