Speculation The length of Jedi training in the ST

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by George Roper, Nov 18, 2012.

?

See title

Years 9 vote(s) 90.0%
2 weeks 0 vote(s) 0.0%
For a small fee from an online website 1 vote(s) 10.0%
  1. George Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Definitely speeded up when Luke came along.
  2. the_sinister_hologram Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Most likely less than it took back in the days of the Old Republic.
    Also it is possible that older students would be allowed to join the New Order.
    Generally speaking, Luke has received a different kind of training in the Jedi arts than the other Jedi before him. Even if he somehow has access to the database of the old Jedi Order, chances are that he will adapt the new rules to the post-ROTJ situation.
  3. LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll go a step further, I very much doubt any of the information from the Jedi Library or temple escaped being destroyed by the Empire - after all they didn't want another order setting up and threatening them.

I think the Jedi Order in the PT won't be repeated, that wasn't how Luke learnt the ways of the Jedi - he had a more spiritual journey and I'll bet he won't think about midichlorians et al. I also doubt he'll take more than one or two padawans, although he probably won't even call them that.
  4. Skaddix Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Honestly, you would think Yoda or Obi-wan would manage to smuggle out a single Holocron at minimum.

Still even if he had access to such information there is no way Luke could teach in that method considering he is only one guy so he is going to have to a do a crash course training wise until the order builds up the necessary bureaucracy and even then the rules are likely to be different.
  5. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    It depends on how far after ROTJ this movie takes place.
  6. Jobertus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Training will likely settle into being an amalgamation of the Old Jedi Order traditions (from the PT) and the crash course method (from the OT) to make Jedi of the New Jedi Order.
  7. thesevegetables Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Right. NJO Jedi training is very different from old order training. For example, people learn in classes like normal kids do, so they get a class and teacher, instead of getting one Master all to themselves (personal tutor).
  8. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    In Vision of the Future Luke suggested that while this would apply at the early stages, he was going to introduce more one-on-one training as the number of Masters increased.
  9. thesevegetables Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It's still different, though. All students can now keep training, while in the old order, those who were not chosen by a Master before age 13 did not go on to become Knights. Personally, I think that this form of "natural" selection meant that only the best were chosen. Although I will admit that the NJO didn't exactly have a surplus of Jedi.
  10. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    The timeline is the most important thing. IF we're talking 20-25 years I don't think that's enough time for Luke to have resurrected the Jedi temple, learn the old ways, find new force intuits and train them. IF it takes place 40 or more years than I'd expect to see alot of various Jedi -- Masters, Padawans and younglings.
  11. LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost

star 4
    How does he 'learn the old ways' ? Who says the old ways were the right way anyway?

Without this mysterious midichlorians geiger counter thing how does he find force-sensitive children? Remember he might hav bulls eyed womp rats but apart from that there was diddly-squat to show that Luke was force-sensitive prior to his training with ObiWan.

I reckon he will train his family members, in particular Leia and Han's kids if they have them, or his own son perhaps as at least he knows 'the force is strong with your family' or whatever.
    fishtailsam likes this.
  12. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    "Search for odd patterns of luck, insight, etc" was what the Jedi Academy Trilogy came up with.
  13. Skaddix Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah in a massive galaxy that is horribly inefficient. Honestly, he definitely needs a better search method then that. Although he might want to start on planets with high concentrations of force users. Although figuring out which planets those are might be hard with Empire probably destroying such data but it should be doable enough. Maybe he can talk to a force ghost of Obi-wan or Yoda. Planet wise obviously Korun from Haruun Kal and Dathomir stand out.

As for teaching yeah its going to boil down to how much time he has to train others to master level.
    Last edited by Skaddix, Nov 18, 2012
  14. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    In The Courtship of Princess Leia, he found a stockpile of data from a Jedi librarian that fled Coruscant, which mentioned "the witches of Dathomir". That was a good starting point.
  15. Lee_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I always thought of it in this way: Luke just learned what he most needed from Yodi to be able to fight Vader and eventually pass the Jedi tradition on; in the PT, they had years of philosophical and ethical-type studies to go with their other skills/teachings. Luke got the crash course in how to be a Jedi, then grew in his skills/knowledge with his real life experiences ("face Vader again, only then, a Jedi will you be").
    Last edited by Lee_, Nov 18, 2012
  16. Skaddix Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well depending on how far we move ahead in time and how cleaned up the galaxy is I think there will be plenty of time for hands on training.