main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Life And Death Of Anakin Skywalker

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Deimos_Skywalker, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deimos_Skywalker

Deimos_Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    I didn't know whether to post this in the Episode III forum or Classic forum... so I chose both as it has relevance across the twin trilogies

Watching my DVD set made me realise the true vision that the prequels had... to serve the classic trilogy and to explore and resonate the ideas already exisiting within the trilogy with a greater intensity that undoubtedly makes me personally feel a mixture of hope and sorrow

The undertitle of the saga is... The Rise, Fall And Redemption Of Anakin Skywalker, a story set in six chapters

I was never a big Star Wars fan, every so often I'd watch a movie here and there, never really seeing them as more than space operas with some fancy effects (Being a CGI interested geek myself)

But on watching them again, I thought over the landscapes of Tatooine and realised that little kid turned into his own monster, a creation of the guilt, fear and destiny he could not control, the loss of his mother in presence and then in life... the thought of removing himself from every human desire to train as a knight of the republic and never follow his heart and be with Padme

Darth Vader exists from the desire to control what cannot be controlled, fate... acting on instinct, betrayed and lied to by his former masters and unable to quell the demons that formed no matter what

On watching Luke unmask Vader... I saw Anakin looking back with a feeling that was never there, pride... Anakin had removed his soul from the pit he lay for decades

The prequels truly have made me look differently at the Classic trilogy, true to say that they could never top the movies released way back nearly 30 years ago now... but they emote just as strongly and they are a proud part of the saga

The Life And Death Of Anakin Skywalker Will Haunt Us Forever...

---

Perhaps this post will never be read much... I just had to share my thoughts really, but do comment

TLJ Edit: perfect topic for the Saga forum.

2. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I think the word 'haunt' was ill chosen my friend.

Still; I can appreciate your point of view.

Ironically enough, the prequels have brought to light a few negative meanings as well as positive.

Granted its Anakin that makes the choices, but evil, like mistakes, are brought about by ignorance and fear.

Sad truth is, this 'son of the suns' born a'la Christ, meant to die for others sins promotes an all-too-familiar message embraced by the many, and believed by more then the few:

"Good intentions lead to hell."

Of course, on the dark humor flipside, it could simply suggest that those brought about by the 'living force' (aka God) are not meant to find life, love, or purpose while on this side of the fence.

Rather to serve as triggers, plot devices, and instruments of destruction.

*shrugs*

Bad enough the father was denied long term happiness.

But to condem the son as well?

What crime did these Skywalkers commit in a previous life to deserve this?

;)

3. background_jedi

background_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    If your referring to Luke as the son who is condemned i would have to wonder why. It is quite obvious that this is all a fairytale beginning "A long time ago..." or "Once upon a time..." . Seems safe to conclude that it ends with a "...happily ever after." Or at least it does to me. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.