main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Life and Times of RAE SLOANE

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    For those wanting to follow the life and times of the LSG's most developed and prolifically utilized new character, I thought I'd present a thread specifically devoted to following her, and where to find her adventures.

Here's where her story can be found, as presented chronologically:
    • "Orientation" (by Paul S. Kemp, Insider #157 - hopefully eventually in the Lords of the Sith paperback?)
    [​IMG]
    • "Bottleneck" (by John Jackson Miller, in Rise of the Empire bindup)
    • A New Dawn (by John Jackson Miller)
    [​IMG]
    • "The Levers of Power" (by Jason Fry, in Rise of the Empire bindup)
    • Aftermath (by Chuck Wendig)
    With all the love she's received, I'm quite surprised she hasn't had her own full thread yet. SOLVED.

2. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Rae is bae. I hope we see more of her!

It would be cool if she showed up in Rebels to mess with Kanan.

3. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Not to be confused with Bey.
    [​IMG]

4. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Just an appearance in Rebels to cement her place in NU canon folklore.

my only concern is that the way she has been used and the strong female character she portrays, she deserves a fitting finale however that may be, and whoever decides to kill her off. I doubt (and i hope i am wrong) that she is in TFA so her story will be in the new EU. We need a big event in between ROTJ & TFA for her.

anthology film perhaps?

Taalcon likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    A surprise appearance in Rebels, and/or a namecheck in Rogue One I think, would in and of themselves, cause several Lit readers to suffer severe joy-related heart complications.

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Sloane would be the perfect introduction to female admirals/officers for rebels

7. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Whilst I agree having her appear elsewhere would be nice (as it would be for Ciena and Thane from Lost Stars too) the problem with having her appear in Rebels, whilst I love the show, is that all the Imperials will always been shown as either incompetent fools or comic book evil characters when she is neither so I'd worry any appearance would be really out of character for her.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Probably best to save her until at least season 4 when (hopefully) the show will have matured enough to portray a character like Sloane accurately

9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    A name check in Rogue One would be really cool. Possibly even better than her being in the film, which I doubt is much of a possibility.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    She hasn't received a thread because in April 2001, we decided that character fan club threads would not be permitted in Lit and would have to go to the newly created EUC due to a proliferation of character fan clubs in Lit. SOS was grandfathered, but the rest were made to move. I'm surprised people have forgotten so soon. :p

Were I to leave this thread open, it would show that I was outrageously biased in favor of SLOANE.

*leaves thread open* [face_whistling]

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If this thread doesn't get closed, I'm SOOOO opening an Ackbar Appreciation Thread. :p

--Adm. Nick

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Or Bey.
    [​IMG]

13. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    [​IMG]

Or (Abregado) Rae.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd love to see a comic book mini, or maybe a novel, centered around her. Also, have her appear in Rebels, or maybe the spinoffs/anthology/whatever they're called these days films.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dude he has his name plastered over the social thread 24/7. No ackbargaining for another thread!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I would expect that a man who values law & order would not make special exceptions to a policy in place since 2001.

But you get points for coining the phrase "ackbargining". I love it. :D

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Empire is all about special perks and privileges to certain favorites.

As for long standing policy...

Forget the old way! ;)

(No but srsly given that she's basically the flagship character of the NEU (pun intended) and has been handled by multiple authors, I think the exception is warranted. I'm very impressed that she's consistently portrayed between JJM, Jason, and Chuck yet shows the changes we'd expect from different life/career changes. She has an A+ portrayal.)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rae is amazing and I hope she gets a name drop it appears in television/movies

She is at the moment the biggest recurring character from the NEU.

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Minimalism is enough of a problem, that we don't need to see the same (supporting) character in every source.

Concerning Apprecation-threads, I'm surprised Jello hasn't started one for Sheev by now. ;)

Mange likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I have already dedicated this entire forum to His Imperial Majesty.

21. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    As much as I am against the idea of having to buy two books I already own a second time, I'm seriously considering getting the Rise of the Empire paperback for these new stories. Ugggh whyyyyyy?!

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As much of a cheapskate as I consider myself am, I have already preordered it.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    15 dollars isn't that steep a price. I mean, it helps that I originally read Tarkin from the library, so I knew I could wait to buy it as part of this collection, but still.

24. mattkyrell

mattkyrell Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2015
    Rae Sloane was one of the few parts of Aftermath I actually enjoyed. There's something about her character you just have to like.

My copy of Rise of the Empire arrived and I can't wait to read AND and Bottleneck / Levers of Power to find out more about her (I haven't read either of the two novels in the paperback yet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sudooku likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well we do have that MIghty Empire forum style. [face_whistling]