main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Life and Times of RAE SLOANE

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Oct 7, 2015.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    And then Jello's failure will be complete

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whatever I'm just going to chill with Amedda on Coruscant and reminisce about the glory days.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

So, are you interested in buying a couple of bridges? [face_whistling]

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I hope Rae Sloane's career isn't over.

Imagine, for example, Rae invading Hutt Space with the First Order!

I'd like a Snoke Book once The Last Jedi comes out and her to serve as Snoke's Pellaeon or our "everywoman's" view on him.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Well, when I can believe Wookieepedia that Rae was born the very same year as Anakin Skywalker was (i.e. 41 BBY) she will be 85 years in Ep. IX then. And that only when there is no major time gap like between EP. I and II. :)

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    True. That is far too old for someone to lead a nation.

[​IMG]

MandaloreRex2015 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Did I say that? I think not. So I presume your colorful contribution to be a mere joke and not biting sarcasm.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I am heading off any criticism of the idea. :)

9. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Pelly was like 90 by the time of LotF and still ruling. 90 YO Sloane ruling the rump FO would be yet another delicious parallel.

10. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    One of these days, Rae Sloane is going to appear in a live-action movie. You read it hear first folks.

11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

She's a cool character but I think the chances are slim we will see her in a live action film. Unless they do a spinoff about the formation of the First Order (which sounds like something they would do in a book series as opposed to a spinoff movie) I don't think we will see her on film.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I see an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie well before TFO.

Daneira likes this.
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    So...I am having trouble with this character. I have read A New Dawn and the first two books of the Aftermath trilogy and I don't understand how people don't think that Rae Sloane is evil. I always see her talked about in Lit as if she was a shining example of a decent Imperial when by the accounts I have read, she is just as fanatical as any other Imperial officer in the Star Wars universe.

Sent from Hell--depending on whether or not it exists.

14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi Avenger,

when you know Agent Kallus from Rebels you will see that there were a lot of people cherishing the Empire for bringing peace and order and devoting their lives to it. Yes, there were even some Imperials who did really care about the people entrusted to them. And Rae Sloane was one of them. There are always some shades between good and evil. And its exactly these different shades of gray making characters like Rae Sloane interesting and even attractive. To call Rae Sloane evil, and be it in such a double-denying phrase as you used it, is a bit far-fetched IMHO.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Depends on what you mean by "evil" or "decent Imperial." Nobody's saying she's a "good guy."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, there's quite a lot of difference between 'decent person (for an Imperial)' and 'decent person (by everyone else's standards)' - Sloane falls into the former but if you are a high ranking Imperial then pretty much by default you have qualities and attributes that count heavily against you. Legends Thrawn (possibly Nu Thrawn also, not read the book yet) and Pellaeon were similar - they weren't the xenophobic racist megalomaniacs most Imperials were but they were still baddies - until a bit of whitewashing kicked in down the line at least.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, I'd say that her status as -- let's say -- a "law and order Imperial" isn't even the biggest thing she has going for her.

She started off as the first character we met in the new canon, and she ended up being a competent female Imperial officer who was also a person of color. So that already made her interesting: the EU had a dearth of such characters. And she got to finish AND as being something of an indirect hero: like Vader in Shadows of the Empire, she was an antagonist but her conflict with another antagonist helped save the day at the end.

So people wanted to see her again. And we saw her in a JJM short story, "Orientation." And then we saw her take a central role in the Aftermath books and have a huge role at Endor in "Levers of Power," and she becomes essentially the inheritor to the status that Pellaeon once had as sort of the lead EU Imperial (plus the additional factors I mentioned above, which is what made her interesting in the first place).

So she started as a breath of fresh air and we got to see her career arc through the course of the earliest days of the new canon.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Sometimes I do wonder if people forget the difference between having sympathetic villains and...well, not having heroes and villains at all, or having heroes on opposite sides. These all end up being very different type of stories.

In particular, with sympathetic villains it is important to remember the sympathetic....but also to remember the villain part.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know about that -- Lucas was the guy who turned the Republic into the Empire, and the one who always said that the Empire's evil is a seductive one. He's the one that came up with the line about liberty dying to thunderous applause. He was the one who had the line about "heroes on both sides" in an opening crawl.

Anyway, that line was less about the grey and more about the 'competent Imperial woman of color' part.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yeah I misread your post and thought you were talking about morally grey characters.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Lucas also infamously put the kibosh on a TIE Fighter sequel because he didn't want to lionize the Empire.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sloane tends to come off better in comparison to those around her so see Vidian and Rax, that's not really enough to move her into the hero category but neither has the new material even attempted to do that. I like Sloane as a character in SW but don't like her as it were. And certainly her final moves in Empire's End are very revealing.

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I mean, my contention with Sloane isn't that she isn't a great character, and I am glad that the Story Group is creating characters like her for the new canon.

I just saw a lot of talk here about her being...I dunno, less evil than the likes of Tarkin and the other Moffs and frankly I don't see it. She just seems like every other Imperial to me: ambitious, cruel, fanatical loyalty, and being perfectly willing to enact evil acts upon anyone who gets in her way.

Her inner dialogue in A New Dawn is littered with expressing her intent to murder anyone who vaguely​ annoys her, and while there is a difference between thoughts and actions I can't help but think of her having the might and cruelty of the Empire to help enforce such a decision.

But all that aside, she's a great character, I just got the wrong impression of her initially.

Sent from Hell--depending on whether or not it exists.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, Sloane's a far more successful Krennic. She has the same villain reduction effect when the likes of Vidian and Rax are around but doesn't get screwed over by them. Her ascent to the top tier of the Empire isn't blocked by a Tarkin-level adversary, but when she gets to the point where she can actually prove her claim to be a 'better' imperial.... Ah, well, about that....