The Life of a Fire Fighter

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #572

Date: Tuesday, September 26th, 2006

Been super busy! So much to tell, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday to tell you all. It's just been super crazy busy! 8-}
  2. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    So you didn't hook the hose around the car again. :eek:

-Donovan
  3. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Up yours. :p j/k

Journal #573

Date: Friday, September 29th, 2006

Not this last Saturday, but the Saturday before that, I drove Chief around in the Medic all shift putting up address signs to make those residents that want one, their home address easier for the responding crews to see their address. It's been a program we've been doing for the past year or so, now under direct control of the Chief for the time being.

This last Saturday I did RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) training. One of the best times I've ever had training! And it showed me (and others I hope) how my leadership skills have some along. During one RIT deployment into our smoke filled guy, I was bring up the rear of our team. Our leader, I noticed, would become very silent when he didn't know what to do. I took over control of the team right away and we got our mission objective done successfully.

Last Monday I was on shift at Station 3 with, for a firt time shift wise, one of my Lieutenants and Doug, who I hadn't been on shift with in a while. While we were doing station maintenance (we were doing station maintenance at all three Fire Stations that night), we found a problem with Tender 3 with the door latch. Doug and I drove drove Tender 3 to Station 2 and got the problem fixed.

Okay, now for the other stuf in life part. Mom and I are really struggling to make ends meet right now after Dad up and left. I don't have money for food, in fact, one of my co-workers gave me money yesterday just so I can eat lunch. And my Mom might, a big might, lose her job due to her company hitting some rough times (my Mom has 14 years in with the company however, so hopefully that will work in her advantage if something were to happen), so if that happens, I really don't know what we're going to do. I mean I know what I'll do and what I hope my Mom will do and that is to put everything into God's hands and let Him work. I've been praying to God for help and support through this diffucult times and maybe although I don't see it all the time, I know He's doing what He needs to do to ensure that my Mom and I are okay.

Just got back from the gym. Helping my Mom out with some tests tonight so she can keep one of her certs for her job. The gym is quickly becoming a place to escape the troubles of life. On a note, I have 10.6% body fat, a althete, for the record, is supposed to have between 6% and 14%. So yeah, I'm not fat! [face_dancing] I ran the mile today, first time in a while, ran it in eight minutes and forty-one seconds. Work is going great now, working some overtime tomorrow to help out with money and stuff with my Mom and then I'm at the Fire House for a night shift Saturday night.
  4. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #574

Date: Saturday, September 30th, 2006

Down on myself and life in general all morning, with all that is going on at home and with money and with the woman search. Worked today and everything to make up for the hours I missed on Monday at work. And, all of sudden, when I was studying HazMat Operations at the Fire Station today, BAM! God's grace and love came through and I've been happy ever since! [face_dancing] :)
  5. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    What happen saturday?

and don't worry about women right now just get the other stuff that need to be done first then worry about getting a women later man. duh, 8-}

-Donovan

6. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #575

Date: Thursday, October 12th, 2006

I don't remember what happened that day Donovan, but all that matters is that all is better. I've been super busy. Between work, gym, the Fire House, and Champps on Sundays, I feel like I don't have a minute to relax. But then when I remember when I was broke and out of luck, without God in my life, I know that this is a better path with God in my life. I know I'm busy, super busy, but I know that God is doing this for a reason, for His Will, and I know He wants the best for me. :)

The gym is starting to pay off, big time. You can really start to see the work that I'm putting in is starting to pay off. It's bad enough I look in the mirror all the time. [face_blush] :p

Lets see, my internet problem is still not fixed on my PC in my room. I'm looking into getting internet on my laptop, which I'll need Donovan's help with, both on fixing my PC upstairs and getting internet on my laptop. Donovan, how do you feel being recruited to help me? :p 8-} My fellow geek in crime has never let me down yet! :cool:

I had a meeting at work today. Things are going great, there's tons of room for improvement still, but I'm on the right track. It's time to take it up to that next step at work. :)

My Fire Department's Open House is Saturday! [face_dancing] Donovan is going to have to wake up before 06:00 Hours. This is going to be funny seeing him complain. :p Hey, I gotta be there by 07:00 Hours, so no complain. Man, crap, that means I gotta wake up by 05:30 Hours. :p
  7. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    Your not a fellow computer geek now are you? so your not a geek at all. and i just got to think (oh your in trouble now [face_devil] ) one thing that may help the internet lag or disconnection is that you may want to turn the wireless (crap can't think of the name, oh yeah) station off at night then turn it back on in the morning that is one thing that could help, cuz all it is another computer so yeah...

Plus friday i'm closeing at mcdonalds [face_plain], so i'll be working off like 3 or 4 hours of sleep, nnnnnooooooo and here is me saturday moring this [face_tired] or I-)

-Donovan
  8. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #576

Date: Wednesday, October 18th, 2006

A decision. Translating what God wants for you. I would never think (well up until the last few months) that making a decision could be so hard. But more so, are these urges that I feel to just up and run to Commercace City...are they my own selfish desires or are they from God?

Long story short, my Dad have my Mom a divoce letter. And now it has me wondering, is going up to Commerace City for a Fire Department a smart decision? I need to move out now, I can't wait for a Fire Department that may end up saying no (although I don't see why they would). Am I being too in-patient? Am I being selfish in not wanting to go up to Commerace City? Have I, through my prayers to God, twisted His own good words to suit my own selfish wants? What is my needs and what is His will? Even if I think I know, as was my hell-bent decision to move up to Commerce City this past month, what decision He wants me to make, how DO I know it's from Him? All of sudden I find myself doubting my very decision to go up to Commerce City because now I need to move out now? Is it the fear of what I have to do all of sudden, everything I need to get done?

Yes.

But what if it's not just the fear and it is Him talking to me? I wanted, I desired, to move up to Commerce City and join their Volunteer Fire Department. It was also because of work as well, closer to work and all. But what if I change jobs down the line? Here I am, putting all my eggs in one basket. But what am I doing with my current Fire Department, putting all my eggs in one basket right now. I'm afriad that heck my Fire Department could shut down due to a lack of active Fire Fighters, but will it? We have new SCBA's coming Thursday (finally! :D ) and what if things chnage and something really good happens down at my Fire Department? I know, I know, I know, for sure, as sure as I can be, that God wants me to stick with my current Fire Department, so that even if I did get on with Commerce City, I'd still be with my current Fire Department.

Then there's Sheridan Fire Department. I was a Cadet with them back in High School, but I was always afrid to go back there because of how I was then and how I still retain some of those bad traits from back then. Would they look down on me because of things I should have got down by now in which I haven't?

Or am I, as I am seeing right now as I type, centering my life around materialism (the Fire Department) and not focusing on me? Do I dis-centeralize my life with the Fire Department, the one thing that is my life, my passion. Or do I step out on a limb and center my life around me instead of the Fire Department and entrust to God that He will help me, assist me, guide me in helping me becoming a Career Fire Fighter?

Faith. This is the meaning of it right here as I type. A decision has to be made. Which one to make? I'm stressed, beyond thought and body, to even think anymore. All I want to do is sleep. My body is tired, worn out. I need a break. But do I risk my dream for peace? Or am I freaking out? Am I thinking too much into this? Like my Chief and everyone else says, do I just need to relax? Am I too stressed? Am I too high-strung? I know I'm too high-strung! But how do I get this worry away? How do I relax? How do I just calm down?

I'll go to God for answers, as I always have, and pray that He will guide me. Will moving up to Commerce City too soon be too stressful, not a good choice? Is Commerce City the place for me? Or is my current Fire Department the place for me to go? To God I pray. To God I ask for help and guidnece.
  9. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #577

Date: Thursday, October 19th, 2006

Okay, so I'm filling out the application for Commerce City Fire Department. I need to at least try, to see if this is what God wants me to do. The devil is trying everything he can to break me the wrong way and I have to admit, sometimes it seems like he is going to win. But God is always there, with an army of angels and His love for me to help me battle the evilness of this world and the devil's workings.

Oh, to exlain why I'm writing this journal now, during the day, is that I needed to take a sick day off of work today. I've been sick since last Thursday and I need to put an end to it some how, so hopefully taking today as a sick day from work will help.

EDIT: I was going to mail the application today, but forgot about references. Once I get a updated list of references (all my references are from High School and just after High School), I'll mail it in. Hopefully I'm get the application mailed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
  10. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #578

Date: Saturday, October 21st, 2006

Oaky, so I thought I was going on a date tonight...yeah, maybe not. I'm going with what Donovan said, Jarrod said, and the song Beauitful Day (sp?) by U2 said...if you don't have it right now, you don't need it right now.

I went to the gym, after my shift this morning at the Fire House, for the first time in just over a week from being sick and stress at work, etc., etc. And man, what a week can of relaxation can do! I was running like Forest Gump at the gym today! :cool: A course, afterwards, the remains of my cough came back and I was coughing up a storm. :p Did weights today and all, full work-out.

Oh, on a HazMat Operations studying point, I'm finished studying Chapter 3, now I just need to keep going back through it until I have everything down. I was going to study Sunday...if I didn't leave my HazMat Operations book at work on Friday! [face_punch] :oops:

Lets see tomorrow, I got Church Sunday morning (YES! :D ), some relaxing time after that, and Champps Sunday night for the Broncos and Browns. I have yet to successfully recruit anyone to come to Champps with me. They're all traitors I tell ya, all traitors to the great American sport of sitting on the couch and drinking a beer while watching a football game! :p

And tonight, since I got nothing else to do with no date now, off to Star Wars nerdyness in my Fan Fic I go! Up, up, and away! 8-} Oh, read a few chapters of Betrayal today while at the Fire House, first time I'd read Betrayal in a few weeks. I want to finish the book so I can go buy the next book in the series...but then I want to work on my Fan Fic too. [face_thinking]
  11. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #579

Date: Tuesday, October 31st, 2006

Life's been going. Dad's been a ass in my opnion since he up and left Mom and I. I really don't even want to talk to him and when we do talk on the phone, there's a ice cold barrier between us. I want to see my dogs really bad, I haven't seen them since August. :(

God wants me to do the excat thing I'm afraid to do. Jump in the dark, not knowing what's ahead of me or what's I'm going to land on. He wants me to trust him, to understand what it is to have true Faith with Him. I'm struggling with this issue because of fear of the unknown, fear of not being able to see what's ahead of me.

Mom and I are struggling really bad. My anger towards my Dad only grows, not so much anger maybe, but disgust with the man I call my Dad. He gave me the world, but treats my Mom like dirt. Now he's just up and left. It's probably for the best, one of these days my Dad and I will sit down and talk like father and son again, but it probably won't be anytime soon.

God has been the Father that has never left, nor faltered with me, even when I have weekends of little faith or a lack of faith in Him, He has always been there. I'm learning to understand Him as a Father, as God.
  12. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dude :cool:

Just relax about the future take it has it comes at you, just take all the beatings and then get back up and go on with life and what ever happens just deal with it before the next one comes, so Dude :cool: just let what will happen, happen and work through it.

-Donovan
  13. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
  14. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
  15. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Dude! :cool: *Nods head in approval* :D

Journal #580

Date: Saturday, November 04th, 2006

Well folks, it's the first journal entry of November. And I think it's time we take a trip back in time. One year ago at this time, I was working as a school tutor, not really knowing where my life was going or even if I was ever going to have a girlfriend. Donovan and I had started the Champps tours starting that August.

A year later. I've had two girlfriends. One too mature for where I was in life (but a good woman at heart regardless of our differences) and, to be frank and all my friends can agree with this, my second girlfriend was a person who slept around on me, lied, and toyed with me.

On the Fire Department side of things, I've risen to a new spot in the Fire Department, effectively becoming a Senior Fire Fighter and instructing at the local Volunteer Fire Academy. Also, on a Fire Department and personal note, I've got back into shape, better shape then I was in High School.

Now, I could go on and on for probably a few pages, or to make a really long post to be frank. But I think we all get the idea. Before Feburary 2006, my life sucked. I was going no-where. But it was easy.

As of Feburary 2006 to present, I've gone through more life changes, done more with my life in the last nine months then I've done in the last two years, and I've been through more pain and suffering then I could have imagined. But with all the pain and suffering, I've found something beyond Earthly desires, beyond materialism.

I've found God.

And God has helped me through more in my life then I could ever have imagined. It's not an easy path, I can say that right now, but it's the right path. And doing what is right is never easy.

So, in short, I need to thank God for what He has given me and for helping me in His will and plans for me. I have enjoyed and I have suffered more in life in the last nine months then in my whole life to be frank about it...and I wouldn't want to have missed it, not for anything in this world, because God has offered me more with Him then this world will ever have to offer.

And on a closing note. I've been wondering about this journal. Is it worth it to keep it up and running? It seems to be more of a drama about me then a life of a Fire Fighter, but this is a life of a Fire Fighter. But more importantly, as I have discovered recently, I hope that anyone who ever goes back and reads this journal from entry one and so forth, will find that, through-out the course of this journal and the last three years plus of it's on-going, God is in this world and will find a reason to find Him...or at least a better way to live, through the trials and journies of my life. As you look back, I always asked God for help. But I never really, truely, suceeded beyond what my own two eyes could see until I believed in Him...and maybe that, in this journal---in this journal's purpose---is my answer.
  16. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #581

Date: Monday, November 06th, 2006

Got our new SCBA's (Self Contained Breathing Appratus) (sp?) in tonight at the Fire House. Off with the old, in with the new. We trained on them tonight...they're so niiiccceeee! =P~ I've worked with Scott packs before, back in my Fire Fighter One Academy and when I worked for the Fire Academy and taught people how to use them. Our packs came with the newest face masks...just sweet! I can get a $280 dollar voice box added on...it makes you sound like Darth Vader, I tried it out a few months ago. I think I'm just going to waste the money on the voice box just so I can tell Donovan that I'm his father in Darth Vader's voice. :p
  17. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Yay! Get the voicebox!
  18. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    So you did my mom jason ew[face_sick] , i don't want you has my dad that be wrong very very wrong [face_sick]

-Donovan
  19. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Donovan, that's just gross :p
  20. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Jessie, your still here! :eek:

Journal #582

Date: Wednesday, November 08th, 2006

Last four days of Jason's life:

Sunday: Church. Go out with this awsome girl! Her morals and everything, just sweet!
    Monday: Work. Fire House. New SCBA's at Fire House.
    Tuesday: Work sucks. Go out with girl. Have lots of fun.
    Wednesday: Fired from work. Life sucks. Can't blame God. Still have date with girl tonight.
  21. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #583

Date: Sunday, November 12th, 2006

Faith, faith, faith!

Have a job! Doesn't pay much, but it puts food on the table for Mom and I and puts a little money in my pocket. It's up in Commerce City, right by my last job. Hey, the Good Lord provided as The Word says if you believe in Him. :)

Other then that, I'll just come out with it, one on a serious note, the other on a dare I did today while teaching at the Fire Academy. First, my goal, is to become like Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars, except I do want to have a wife and kids. My goal is to become stronger in my faith to God and to fear Him even more. To be even more honest, trustworthy, rightous, decidated, and faithful. As Obi-Wan Kenobi was to the Jedi Order.

Second, Fire Academy went great today. New SCBA's work great! I mean, I creamed my pants a few times over how awsome they are, but what can I say, the new SCBA's are just...oh man, there goes another pare of underware. :p Additionally, do not dare me. I earned fifteen dollars in cash today when my Senior Fire Fighter John (who was instructing along with Dustin, Joe, and myself today) betted me to drown a whole bottle of that hot green sauce from Qudoba's Mexican Grill (sp?)...with-out stopping. Two other of the cadets through in five dollars along with John's five dollars and with the whole Fire Academy, a shocked mother, husband, and her kids staring at me (along with the whole resturant for that matter), I did it. There were some close calls when it all started to come back up and people started to back away, but I was able to successfully drown the new whole bottle with-out stopping...with a stomach ache and a burning butt afterwards. :cool: 8-}
  22. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dude you may want to check out the main RMFF board thing and it ain't good news ethier.

-Donovan

EDIT: AND YOUR COMING WITH ME THE THE RMFF MEETING
  23. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #584

Date: Friday, November 24th, 2006

Still alive. Don't be throwing any parties yet. :p

Okay, so I've been busy/not busy/whatever. Last Saturday we sent the kids (Fire Fighters in training) through the burn tower. Our new SCBA's are wonders (I think I've said that before)! :D Well, they got a taste of what it was like for some heat. My helmet is black (from yellow) and I melted parts of my equipment to my Bunker Coat. So, yeah, it was hot. :cool: =P~

Other then that, yeah, nothing really. Got a seasonal job with K Mart that might turn part-time after the holidays. Still working the secuirty job. And still job searching almost everyday.

Oh yeah, got dumped over text message by this girl I was dating. Women. :p

Went to the gym today after work. It feels soooooooooooo good to be back. =P~ :cool:
  24. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #585

Date: Friday, December 08th, 2006

I'm telling ya people, it's hard (and most of the time at least for me impossabile) to understand God's Will and His plans. God gives us a choice, to follow him or not to follow him. If we don't follow him, fine, we just live life and do whatever we want and don't feel guilty about things that a beleiver in God might feel bad about. Although this is not to take away anything from my friends since like eight percent of my friends don't beleive in God and I don't hold that against them, since a friend, not matter how far or how close they are, is priceless.

Now, if you beleive in God, that's a whole different story. You go through the pain and suffering that Christ went through although, what we went through, is not even a fraction of what Christ went through. By following God, we find love, understanding, and eternal life through God so, in effect, this physical living we live is just that, a physical life, so when we die, we live with God, our Heavenly Father in Heaven.

Now, by choosing this path with God, there are requirements, duties, and regulations we must obey by. As put by my Pastor at Church and by the Bible itself, although not word by word from the Bible, those who enter through the wide gate follow the masses of a easier life as those who enter through the narrow gate find a harder, but more fullfilling, life.

So, to summerize this journal entry up. I have two job interviews coming up, a third one planned, and a assement test for a job I applied for over four weeks ago. God is working His Will and His Plan and all I can do is smile and go on for the ride.
  25. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Journal #586

Date: Sunday, December 10th, 2006

I was on shift today at the Fire House. Started going back through my EMT-Basic book and skills book. Swept out the floors and vacumed the carpet per Chief's request.

So, I ended up turning down the skills assesment test for the job I applied for over four weeks ago. That Friday afternood, Jarrod called me about a job closer to home. I took that job chance instead, much to the dislike of some people I know, and ended up getting the interview reschulded on me for Wednesday morning. So, as some may see it as a lose-lose thing I did (my declining the skills assesment test and taking a chance on a job that I now have to wait to get a interview for), I view it as a learning experience. We're all human and we make mistakes and I'm beginning to feel that the job choice I made Friday afternoon was a mistake...but that just might be the doubt I have of the decision I made, the lack of confidence in myself for that decision. I weighed the pros and cons and the cons out-weighed the pros AT THAT MOMENT. I might be wrong, but I put trust and faith into my Pastor buddy Jarrod and although putting that trust in him was not wrong, the decision I made might have been. I have since come to understand that we are humans and we make mistakes and what is done is done and no amount of complaining or talking about it can change it. I have also, and more importantly, come to the understanding that God and Jesus understand what I did and why I did it and despite the decision I made---wheather it was a bad or good decision---God and Jesus will help me through it and shape my life, my destiny, according to what my Heavenly Father God wants, and He will, despite everything I say or do, will see His Plan for me through, making whatever changes He needs to make.

It's hard right now, with everything going on, to shallow the decision that I made on Friday. The "what if's," come into mind, but I just need to hold stead fast in my belief that God will help me and assist me through these times no matter what happens.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.