The Life of a Fire Fighter

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Mate, whatever happens, you'll be fine. You'll bounce, as one of my mate's used to say ;)

And yes, I'm still here! :p
  2. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #587

Date: Tuesday, December 19th, 2006

Well, a few updates. Sunday, while watching the Broncos/Cardinals game, we dropped a Medical call. I was lead EMT-Basic on the call. For HIPPA reasons, as we all know, I can't really say much more else. The patient was okay, not a critical patient.

I start my new full-time job this Thursday (can't wait!!!!) and I have a job interview for another job tomorrow (Wednesday for those Austrillian folk who may think it would be Thursday ;) ). I'll be quiting my seasonal job tomorrow as well most likely due to a schulding issue that involved some issues, non of which were my falut. I'll most likely fill the empty work shift tomorrow night with the gym. It is supposed to snow big time tomorrow, a blizzard in fact, and it's supposed to go for two days. Don't you just love Colorado weather! :rolleyes: :p

And now on to some good/bad news. Good news first, since I like good news. I'll be getting my dogs back here after Christmas! [face_dancing] I can't wait, I love and miss my dogs so much!!!!! :) And now for the bad news. Due to reasons unknown at the moment or the true nature behind his intent (although I suspect what is going on), but own father has decided to not spend Christmas with me. Mom is back East with her Mom, so I would be spending Christmas with my Dad...but he decided that going down to the cabin was more important then having Christmas with his son. I'm not really bad, since I had planned on spending Christmas by myself at first anyways (well, kindda shorta, since I knew my Dad and I would spend it together one way or another), but I'm more hurt then anything. I'm hurt that my own Father would, in fact, abandon his own son on Christmas. There is the Written Word (Bible) that I went to for guidnece. And although the wriying in question more describes a woman and her child then a father and his child it is, non-the-less, a verse that I found personally in-powering.

This is what the Lord says:

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
    and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
    Though she may forget,
    I will not forget you!

-isaiah 49:15

So, in short, I'm spending Christmas by myself. I will be, however, spending Christmas night with Donovan's family which, bring me joy and happenies.

So, I called up my Chief and left a message informing him that I will be staffing our main station, Station 2, on Christmas. Nothing like a Christmas by myself at the Fire House! I will be, on the bright side of things, spending Christmas with my Father in Heaven and enjoying with Him and his Son, Lord Jesus Christ, on such a Blessed and Joyful day. :)

And on a final note, I am offically back in RPGing! :D I have found out through Faith that God has my back and that I should relax and let Him guide me and do as He wills in my life and that He will not falter, be lazy, or turn His back on me and that He will always be there, looking out for the best interests for me and doing what is best for me.

I have also, on a second final note :p , figured why I lost my job at Neff Rental. God saw where I was going to end up and that money, greed, sexual temptation, lust, and disobedience to Him were coming and He, in all his wisdom and power, looked out for the best for me. However hard the last month and a half has been, however lonely, sad, depressed, and hopeless I felt, He was always there, always knowing the outcome and seeing if I really had Faith, really Beleived in Him. It was a test, one among many more tests that He shall give to me to test me and see how much I truely love and beleive in Him.
  3. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #588

Date: Wednesday, December 20th, 2006

Okay, so because of really big snow blizzard that is supposed to last until tomorrow afternoon, Mom's flight was canceled and because of "back-logging" flights, she most likely won't go back East this Christmas. So that means that Mom, so far, will be staying here with me on Christmas, which means I'll be sending Christmas with my Mom and not at the Fire House.

Driving around in that snow blizzard was fun, until it started to get really bad, then it wasn't so much fun. Oh, note to self, do not run outside in sandles to get cell phone in car with lots of snow on ground...feet tend to freeze when you do. :p
  4. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #589

Date: Monday, December 25th, 2006

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

I was at the Fire House for Christmas Eve day. We ended up dropping a Fire Alarm in a snow blizzard; and while I was eating lunch and watching the football game . Going Code 3 in a Fire Engine in a snow blizzard was quite interesting. We showed up on scene to burnt cookies. This was the second fire call I've had with my Fire Department where burnt cookies has been the cause in December. First one was back in 2004 when I first got onto my Fire Department.

Despite it being burnt cookies, the drive in the snow blizzard was totally fun and cool. It's one of those that when someone asks if someone wants to go again, you raise your hand to go. It was a great learning experience in not only response protocols in a snow storm (and snow covered roads), but it brought to mind how much easier it is to get out of the Fire Engines now with the new Scott packs. It was faster with the Scotts packs and it made mobility getting off of the Fire Engine better as well.
  5. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #590

Date: Tuesday, December 26th, 2006

So I just totally messed it up with this girl. Long story short, she wanted to see me tonight (after she declined me at first) and I declined her later on. Then, when I wanted to fix my mistake, she told me no. So I put my foot in my mouth on that girl I think.

But maybe Donovan was right tonight?

And Jessie?

And maybe everyone else? Wait for girl until I move out and balance out my life? Or am I just trying to make myself feel better after totally screwing up tonight? Or are they right and am I just letting my own pride get in the way?

I want an answer. Like now! :p
  6. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling

star 2
    About freaking time it slaps you in your face.8-} and what do i keep telling is to wait until your sure your ready for a women.

-Donovan
  7. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, I want a girlfriend, no doubt there Donovan. But like we talked about at the mall (and that I talked about with Jessie), I don't have the money to really do everything I would like with her and my life, in general right now, is not balanced or stable.

Journal #591

Date: Thursday, December 28th, 2006

And another snow blizzard hits Colorado. Excatly one week later, well one week plus one day really. And this one is supposed to be worse then the one last week and how things are shaping up outside with the snow, it looks to be that way.

I remember one time Jessie made a comment on her Live Journal about not seeing snow. I ended up giving her a photo that time of our snow covered street. She had ended up going on her vac then and seeing snow. If she wants to see snow again, I can probably arrange for the snow to be shipped out to her...as much snow as she wants. We have plenty of it and I'm tired of missing work because of a snow storm...however odd that may sound. :p I do like the days off, just not the no money coming in part of not working on a snow day at work.
  8. Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling

star 2
    So i can do my "told ya dance"?

meh i'll do it any how

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

-Donovan
  9. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Gimme the damn snow already!! :p

As to the girl: Mate, possibly because I ain't God, you just won't listen to me :p Cool your heels, sort yourself out. The girl thing will fall into place!
  10. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #592

Date: Sunday, January 07th, 2007

First journal entry of 2007. 2007 is the year of change for me, a year to make me who I am going to become. Although I read that in a book, I already knew that deep down inside. 2006 was getting me prepared for what 2007 will bring.

To begin change, I have commited myself to Jesus Christ and God. For what this will bring, I do not. But by doing this, I commit myself to the Lord and His plans for me and the destiny He has for me. To begin the year, my new job has given me permission to do Wildland Fire Deployments this summer. I have one Wildland Company in mind that I plan on contacting either Monday or by in person sometime this week or next. I have some time, so I'm going to take it easy and think about my steps before I do them. I want to do Wildland Fire Deployments this summer and God has given me a chance to do it, since it is His will and his timing. So in that, I must do what God commands me to do, which is to fullfill His destiny and plans for me and to see Him in Heaven when my time comes.

Now, onto other news. The whole woman thing. Although it will be hard and over the last two days it has been hard, I have put all my needs and wants into God's hands. I have no doubt that He will provide me with a wife, although the devil tries to use that doubt against me everyday, I know that God will give me a wife. I am no longer dating to just date rather, I am looking for a wife. Although some people mind find that the same thing, I am now looking for a woman with what I know God would want in a wife for me but also, I am not looking (although it will be hard at times), rather I am allowing God to do His plans and have my wife come to me and me come to her when the time is right and set in the Lord's decision.

Onto more other news, I am starting to now build muscle at the gym. I have gainef muscle and kept in shape over the last few months, but now it is time to accelerate the gym plan and start to build muscle as one of the goals while maintaining a well and fit cardio condition.

And for some other news, I am starting a RPG. I am having trouble with writing a Fan Fic about the RPG I want to start, so I am going to just turn it into a RPG. It will be strongle based off of the one Donovan, Jessie, and I had a few months back, just altered and not started during finals week, but after finals week now. :)
  11. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #593

Date: Monday, January 08th, 2007

I was feeling a little dry the last few days in my faith with Jesus Christ and God. Went to 180 tonight (our Church's discussion/bible study group for young to middle-aged adults) and got my desert-like faith splashed with water from God. It felt good and made me realize that after it's all said and done, it's really easy sometimes to just follow Christ. We're the ones who make it hard on ourselves. :)
  12. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #594

Date: Saturday, January 20th, 2007

Fitted a new member with Bunker Gear a few days ago. First time...maybe second time I've been in charge of outfitting a member with Bunker Gear. Assigned all their shirts, etc. too. Let's see, on other Fire Department news, we have our Fire Department Dinner tomorrow night (Sunday) and as third year in a row, I'm going single without a date. ALmost everyone else has dates, girlfriends, wives, etc. every year. I guess I can't break tradition, huh? :p

Work wise, everything is going better, in fact great! Now that I've got things back on track and life is starting to normalize again, work is going better.

Gym wise. The New Standard has been started. The New Standard is my term for the new way of things. In an effort to cut back on late nights, wake up early, and gain sleep, my new gym routine is in the mornings beginning at 5:30 AM. This make sit so I'm up and ready for work, but also allows me to just go home after work and get stuff done and relax. Makes for a long day by 6 PM once I get off of work, but at least my life is more simplifed and less stressful. Also, this new gym routine adds building muscle now instead of focusing on tonning and building slight muslce, now I'm focusing on muscle build up and mass. Also, this puts me into training for my Red Card test for Wildland Fire Season next month or the month following, putting the average 30 minute cardio work-out to 45 minutes and now pushing it. Next I need to start eating right, like more meats and green stuff, and less junk food.
  13. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #595

Date: Thursday, January 25th, 2007

Talking about God wanting something done. So, I've been fixing up time to get my basement cleaned up after our mini-flood last Saturday night. Well, I was going to do it Saturday morning, but I knew there was a reason why my Dad called me tonight and said the dogs are coming over Friday morning, which would mean I would have to clean the basement tonight. Well, me being lazy and wanting to go to the gym instead, will put the dogs upstairs for Friday instead of the basement, where they usually go. If I would have cleaned tonight, I would be at the Fire House Saturday morning and clean up my basement Saturday night, instead of on shift Sunday for a few hours before the RMFF and missing out on part of Church as well.

Well, God didn't like the answer of me not cleaning tonight. So my Lieutenant (my former Senior Fire Fighter, now a Lieutenant! Go buddy!) sends me an email, requesting assistance on Saturday morning. So, here I go to the Fire House Saturday morning and cleaning Saturday night. When God wants something done, He really wants it done. ;)

Okay, so I'm eating like no other right now. Everytime you see me, I have food in my mouth. Well, not like anything has really changed there. :p But what's funny is that I'm eating full meals almost all the time, twice in the morning, once at lunch and a banna or two after lunch, and then dinner. Man, the New Standard in the gym is making me hungry, hungry. I'm like Jabba the Hutt here...just looking like Han Solo. :p
  14. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #596

Date: Tuesday, February 20th, 2007

Okay, so its been a while for an update. Sorry about that. Its been a busy month of February.

This weekend, I've experienced both the grace and love of God...and the conquences of our sins, not to mention the devil taking advantage of those sins. But God, despite my flaws and my sin, never let go of me and went through with His plan.

Well, I guess I can let the cat out of the bag now too. I got a new job, will be starting on the 28th, nexct Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, I loved the people I worked with at my job, just not the job itself. And since at this new job I'll be starting at a dollar fifty more per hour, with only thirty minutes less of work time, then I think I'm doing good. I won't get free health insurance like I did with my current job, but I couldn't afford gas if I moved out on my own either, which was a major motivation for taking this new job. Which was God's plan all along, since I turned down a even higher paying job (but one that wouldn't have worked with my Fire Fighting and been working me non-stop) the day before my new job called me and offered a job the very next day. And some other things happened, as I will explain below.

I'm also switching Fire Departments. I need to pass a CPAT test first, a test that I've never taken and I've heard its really hard. It's a physical agility test, so The New Standard is going to go into overdrive now. I need to get into stellar shape for this test. With God's grace and love, I know I can do it. Now, this switch in Fire Departments was motivated by the fact that I need more field time, plain and simple. I need to run two to three calls a shift...not every two months. I need that time to use my skills and my experienced. My current Fire Department is a great Fire Department and they will always be my family, but for a person like me who wants to turn this stuff into a paying career some day, I need a larger, more active Fire Department. Now, the drive time is going from my current thirty minute drive to a one hour drive, but oddly enough, I use the same amount of gas.

And onto other news. Man, something I ate a few days ago before the weekend, I think on Thursday. Man, its torn me up. I missed the gym tonight because well, to say the least, lets say the toliet system at work was being over worked today. I don't think running and lifting weights would make trhe sick feeling any better. It'll pass and I'm hoping it passes my like tomorrow night so I can go to the gym. I also have to get working on that weight vest and walking for time for the Red Card test coming up and to help get in shape for this CPAT test too.

And in other news, I'm so behind in my RPG game for the Jedi Outcasts. I'm gonna be barried in posts to read tonight. Can someone order me pizza please, since I'll be stuck here all night? :p
  15. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #597

Date: Thursday, February 22nd, 2007

Talk about Jesus being right there, pushing ya. Yesterday, mile run in seven minutes and forty-seven seconds on my lunch break at work. I have the Red Card test to get ready for, CPAT test (Oh God this is gonna be a hard one), HazMat Operations course is coming up, I have a Doctor COG test to get ready for, ride-alongs to do this new Fire Department I'm looking at, getting adjusted to a new job come Wednesday, go buy a hundred dollars worth of new clothes for said new job, get a apartment here soon (here we go again :rolleyes: :p ), study up on my EMT-Basic, study for my Fire Fighter II certification...and, I, ah, think that's it.

Did I mention all of that has to be done before June?

[face_beatup]
  16. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #598

Date: Saturday, February 24th, 2007

You keep me down once, shame on you. You keep me down twice, shame on me. I wasn't going to be denied my mile run today. Seven minutes and forty-four seconds. First attempt, I failed at a half mile. I was going to call it a night. That was when Operation Shopping came into effect.

Operation Shop: Objectives are to obtain clothing for new job with minimal damage to male brain complex

Mission Status: Sucessful...barely.

I HATE SHOPPING FOR CLOTHES! Guys are supposed to be at the gym, out with their buddies, making out with their girlfriend or wife, watching football or some other sports show when football is not playing, and having food eating contests among other things. But shopping? That is the number one killer of all male enjoyable weekends. Its like having us watching Opra or something or, dare I say it, watching a chick movie. But shopping is at the top of the male not to do list.

So after my near death experience at shopping for clothes, I went back to the gym with thirty or so minutes before they closed. I wasn't going to just lay down and die. It was a challenge. The biggest, hardest, most heart-trying challenge anyone can give you: against yourself and your doubts.

Mile run mission was sucessful. Gym tomorrow morning for lifting weights, maybe another half mile run or even mile run maybe. We'll see.

In order that things must get down in the next few months:

1) Do good at new job
    2) Review EMT-Basic skills (in process)
    3) Prepare for Wildland Fire Fighter Red Card Test
    4) Prepare for CPAT Test in July
    5) HazMat Operations certification class from March through April
    6) Get my own apartment
    7) Prepare for Fire Fighter II certification and challenge test
    8) CPAT Test in July (Must pass)
    9) Bevan's and Nat's Wedding (July)
    10) Jarrod's weeding
    11) Get my happy butt to Austrillia for a trip after saving up money from new job
  17. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #599

Date: Sunday, February 25th, 2007

Was on shift today with Chris. It was a pleasant welecome to be on shift with someone. He studied for his Fire Fighter One Academy while I reviewed Resperiority (sp?) Emergencies for the Emergency Medical Technician-Basic. We also had an assigment from Chief who was there for a short while today; we took Tender 145, our Wildland Tender, from Station Two up the hill to Station One and took Scat 141 from Station One to Station Two. This switch in vehicles' stations will be like this for the next two months or so until the vehicles go back to their home stations.

I went to the gym this morning. Lifted weights and ran a half mile run before Church.
  18. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #600

Date: Thursday, March 01st, 2007

I just feel like "Dance to the Music" right now. :cool: Not to mention start dancing and starting yelling Jesus, go, go, Jesus! Go Jesus, go baby, go! ;) :)
  19. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #601

Date: Friday, March 09th, 2007

Once again, despite our sins, God forgives us. It just amazes me that how we, as humans, can forget His love and grace in our sinful moments.

Today, well yesterday now (Thursday) I guess :p , I ran a mile run for the first time outside in a while. I was it at night after work, first night run I think ever. It was amazing! Had a Blue Man Group song on that just went with the flow of the moment.

Running down those streets as the world goes to sleep---you, as a lone warrior at the lateness of night, fights on to keep going---there you are, running. Running under the light poles...just amazing. On my run back (since to my location is half a mile and back is another half a mile), I ran down a darkened area of street. The lights were on the other side of the street. Here, in this dark area of the street, I couldn't even see my feet as I ran, let alone the street itself. All I could see was the distant light pole ahead, casting its light in the darkness, and the trees all around room and the houses as well, all sillouted against the night sky. It symbolized, for me, the fight that I go through everyday with the darkness and evilness of this world---even when the darkness closes in all around me and I can't see my own feet ahead of me, to trust and praise the Lord, in that in all things, He will come to your aid if you pray in His name.

On another note, this awsome YouTube clip that I would watch every now and then has been earsed. I PMed a buddy of mine here on TFN---who gave me the clip's link---to see if he had the video saved on his computer. Although its doubtful he saved it, if he did, that would be great since that video clip symbolized the battle that us who walk in Faith with Jesus Christ, and who strive to better ourselves to Him and for Him, and to help save others and bring them to Jesus Christ, it was the daily battle we go through, indeed everyone goes through wheather they beleive in Jesus Christ or not, between our good selves---the people we're supposed to be---and our sinful selves---the darkness and sin with-in us. Hopefully he has the video clip saved on his computer like I said.

And on another note, speaking of YouTube videos, I found this cool lightsaber duel tonight. I'll post the link some other time.
  20. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #602

Date: Thursday, March 22nd, 2007

Been busy brothers and sisters, been busy! Work-out every morning, started HazMat Operations class, and going to a concert...gotta go to the concert now!!!!!!! :cool: ;)
  21. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #603

Date: Monday, March 26th, 2007

Just been busy, really, really busy. I had such a lack of sleep early last week that come Wednesday night, I went to bed right after work when I got home at 7 PM and didn't wake up until 5:30 AM the next morning. And this last Saturday after the Fire House, I came home and slept all night. I'm fighting a sore throat and cold right now, but still running every morning. I know, crazy. But fun crazy. :D :p
  22. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #604

Date: Saturday, April 07th, 2007

Between March and the beginning of this month, I've been super busy. Running every morning (or night if I wake up late that morning), going to work, then to the Fire House, then to class for HazMat Operations. Luckly, HazMat Operations classes are done and I'm now studying for the finals, both written and practical, on April 28th, so I have some time to study. Although I always sid I hated HazMat, I've been giving some fancy to HazMat Technician, a two week course after I complete my HazMat Operations course. HazMat Operations is considered (sp?) the hardest of the three Fire Service HazMat Classes (HazMat Awarenesss, HazMat Operations, HazMat Technician) because it is the bulk of HazMat knowledge and basis for HazMat Technician thrown at you in a two week course.

My internet has been down so I'm writting this journal entry from the Fre House. We now have a PC in the living room area of the Fire Station for general use, was put in last month in March. I'm going to have to go buy my own internet service and nortion anti-virus protection now because of my home internet crashing, but since I needed to get my ow internet anyways, its just getting me ready earlier to move out on my own.

I'm telling you all, I'm so tired these last two weeks. On the weekends once I get home from the Fire House or Church, all I do is go to bed and sleep. I'm so glad HazMat Operations classes are done with, so I can get some sleep now and start going to Bible Study again on Thursday nights.

Onto other news, like I said, the last few weeks of March and the beginning and probably the majority of April were and are going to be busy. Between classes and everything, I still have to do a Ride-Along with the Fire Department I'm switching to hopefully. Luckly with class over now, I'll have more time to just relax and get some fresh air for say.
  23. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Journal #605

Date: Saturday, April 07th, 2007

The highlights at a Fire House. So, just another day down at the Fore House studying. We had one crew out today in Scat 141 doing mapping, since the two Fire Fighters on the Scat are in charge of updating the maps. Anyways, I turned on the Station's ground radio just in case. And there I am studying HazMat Operations when the Scat's crew reports a mechanical (spelling?) problem and puts the vehicle and crew OOS (Out of Service). Noticing that there is no emergency with the crew at the moment, I stayed off the radio. After five minutes or so, I contact the crew via the radio, idenifing myself as Station 2 to Scat 141, what is your status? They reply back with a ETA of two minutes, it was a bit quicker then that.

With icey roads and other conditions, the Scat and its crew got stuck a few times, but got un-stuck, and then radioed in their OOS status when they discovered they had a flat tire on the inside dulley tire, since the Scat has double dulley tires on either side in the rear of the vehicle. They had called the Chief, after the crew and I talked back at the Station. The Chief arrived and as we were unsuccessful with our weighted car jack to lift the Scat up to fix the tire, the Chief had the crew take the Scat into town to get the tire fixed. And I'm here still manning the Fire Station. :p
  24. Duskrider Jedi Youngling

star 1
    so you do like tha pole you guys have at the fire house or are you there just to pactice on it?:p

-Donovan
  25. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Like, ew, Donovan :p

And I can't believe you missed my wedding. Sheesh! I used to get mentioned in here all the time! :p
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.