main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Life of a Fire Fighter

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Draco

Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    hehe

-Donovan

2. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #606

Date: Sunday, April 15th, 2007

Ah, yeah Jessie, sorry about not mentioning your wedding... [face_worried] I got caught up in a lot of stuff, sorry about that.

Okay, for anyone that didn't know, my good friend Jessie got married earlier this month (right Jessie? :confused: ), if I remember correctly. Everythings' been going so busy that I can't even remember! :eek: In any event, I missed it, much to my distain. I really wanted to see Jessie get married. That just means she owes me a video tape, DVD, or some photos. ;)

On the subject on people being married, I'm busy this summer with weddings, none of them mine, which blows. In order, I have:

James and Karen (maybe Kerry?) in Spetmeber
    Bevan and Nat in July
    Jarrod in September
    Matt in October
    Brennan and Sherry next September (2008)

I'm going to be a gromsmen (sp?), I know for sure, at Bevan's, Jarrod's, and Brennan's weddings.

So, one more day. Tomorrow night will be a third straight day at a Fire House. Saturday was at my hopefully new Fire Department come July for a twelve hour ride-along shift. Today was a shift at my Fire Department and tomorrow (Monday) night I have a shift at my Fire Department again. Today at the Fire House I montiored Pack Tests (Wildland Fire Fighting Red Card test) with my EMS Officer Jackie, since we require at least a EMT-Basic to monitor the test since a Fire Department a few years back in Colorado had a Fire Fighter die while doing the test. These tests are not easy folks and people do die. Fire Fighting isn't easy and the demands on the body, during testing and training and in the field, are all very great.

I ran three miles today before Church. I know, crazy. :p But fun and I needed to do it. I took Thursday night off of running and lifting weights to give my body a break after four staright weeks and Friday I just wasn't having a good day and I was stressed out both on running, lifting weights, work, personal life stuff, and homework for my HazMat Operations class.

3. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #607

Date: Sunday, April 29th, 2007

Man, what a busy last two weeks! [face_tired] One of our guys last days at work was Friday, so I'm taking over his position. Still not full-time with nebefits yet, but getting there. This is one of those harder jobs and with a weeks's worth of training last week, this week coming up I'm all by meself. We'll see how I do. I know I'll do fine, just that Monday's is our busiest (sp?) day out of the whole week, espically for my position, which I'm doing all by myself. Fun, I know. :rolleyes:

Had my HazMat Operations Final yesterday; passed the practicals in a Incident Commander position. I'll know about the written in a few weeks. Even a Career veteran Lieutenant didn't think he passed the written, and not a lot of other people thought so either, so we'll see. If I pass, great, if I don't, I can retake the written test, know what study more next time.

Okay, so ride-alongs with hopefully my new Fire Department are done (don't know if I told you that or not...I think I did) and with HazMat Operations class done, I still ahve my CPAT test coming up May 19th to take. My body is a bit ran out for say, so I've been taking a break a little bit the last two weeks.

Pulled a three day in a row shift last weekend at my Fire House and I pulled back-to-back shifts this weekend. Last weekend, somehow, all the calls were before and after my ****fs. Yesterday, the same thing, the two calls, one before and one after my shift. Today's shift there were three of us down there: Breant, Dustin, and I. Dustin and I were running back and forth between Station 2 and Station 3 all afternoon, playing with the CAFS (Compressed Air Foam System) on Engine Three for next weekend's house burning; we're burning down a house with our nebhioring (sp?) Fire Department next weekend (it was supposed to be today, but was pushed to next weekend due to weather and other conditions). We also put on wildland hose back onto Scat Three that was somehow in the Bunker Gear storage room down there, under a bunch of equipment. How it got there puzzles Dustin and I.

Later in the day Dustin, Breant, and I just sat outside the station. It was one of those days where your just waiting for a Wildland Fire call to come in. Instead, later that afternoon/early evening, after Dustin left to go home, we had a glider crash just North of the Fire Station. As I suspected, it wasn't going to be a pretty site. And it wasn't. It was a dead on arrival call and it just didn't look good. Plane hits ground and you can imagine the rest.

Tonight I'm just hoping to catch up on some RPG stuff and relax a bit as my bed sheets are in the washer. Just want to relax tonight after doing my RPG's and hit the gym tomorrow night after Church. Oh, speaking of Church, my buddy Jarrod gave his first Pastor speach thing today; he did a great job I thought and it really hit home, both in faith and in phsyical running and working out everyday.

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #608

Date: Saturday, May 05th, 2007

First weekend day off in eight weeks. Finally! [face_tired] :D I bought a game today for the PS2...gave me some really cool Fan Fic ideas. I'm still going to work on my Fan Fic for Jim Palso and the Jedi Outcasts, but I want to try something fresh...something that I have't really played in a RPG yet on TFN. Also picked up Mom some lunch and bought some cleaning stuff for the house. Went to Cherry Creek Mall, way out of my way...well not really, to just go somewhere different for once. Got a great deal on a PS3. Trade in my PS2, one memory card, and two controllers and get a hundred dollars off of a PS3. Tempting, very tempting, I just need to look at the bills first. I really, REALLY want to, but I still want to wait too until the bugsr are worked out of the system first. I have until May 27th to decide. I want a PS3! :_| :p

Okay, so found out two days ago that I did not pass my HazMat Operations written final and that only two people in the whole class passed the written final. I don't feel so bad there, but its still no excuse for my personal failure. Yeah, I was busy, very busy during HazMat Ops class and studying, but then I look back and ask myself, could I have studied harder? Yes and no. Running and getting into shape were priority number one for the CPAT. So its a throw up really when you look at. I know I did the right thing though to focus on my CPAT training. Now, when I found out, the next day at work (Friday), I was a wreck. Started to doubt myself, my own abilities, and my confidence level took a noise dive for passing my CPAT coming up in 14 days here. God, its so close! I said to myself, how can I pass the CPAT if I can't even pass HazMat Operations? But then I remembered Rocky...yes, I watched the new Rocky film this week. In the first movie, Rocky didn't win. And he trained and trained and trained. Yet, in the second film, he came back to win! And I can apply this to my CPAT as well. Although I will pass the CPAT...with Jesus Christ by my side and in me.

Regardless wheather I pass the HazMat Operations this time around again or have to retake it again, or whatever happenes with the CPAT, one thing is for sure:

"Our greatest glory is in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."

That Chinese Proverb helped my Senior Year in High School more then anything. And little did I know then, as I do now, that God's love and grave was behind those words and that, in a time of failure, in a time of falling, this Chinese Proverb that, at the time in High School, I never assosited with God, has become my greatest support, my greatest will to drive on, to move forward. Because people won't say of me, when I'm dead and gone, that I passed this test or that test. NO! They will say of me how I NEVER gave up, how I kept on GOING , and although life had me down and kept beating me to the ground, I STOOD UP, bloodied and bruised, and KEPT MOVING FORWARD! And everytime I got beat down, I GOT BACK UP! That's what people will remember me as! And you want to know what, I'm happy with that. I reall am. I don't want medals or money, or even a sports car or big house. I want people to see me as never giving up, as always getting back up. And to remember that when my life was down in the barrel over a year ago now, I turned to God and He gave me strength and love I could never have on my own. And I want people to remember that God was always with me, always there in my Senior Year of High School when I was running and lifting weights...I just didn't know it. But God knew it and He loved me. And I never knew...

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how wi

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    EDIT: Opps, clicked post one too many times! [face_blush]

6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    EDIT: Same post trigger happy button finger thingy problem...yeah... o_O

7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #609

Date: Sunday, May 13th, 2007

Brennan was in town this weekend. Hung out a few times, had lost of fun with 'the guys' on Saturday night. Played more pool that night then I have in a long run and I won four straight games...all by default! :p I was dancing all over the place! [face_dancing] [face_laugh]

Last Sunday, my Fire Department and the Fire Department next to us all got together and burned down a house for training. Lots of fun, long hours, cool pictures. When we were burning the house completely down, the flames were so hot that they were pushing us back from watching it. It short... =P~ :D

Okay, now on to some confussing odd stuff. I have been given the opportunity to go after my dream job: a paid Fire Fighter job. I have just been given the opportunity remind you. I am sending in an resume and what not. I would have to redo my EMT-Basic and retrain on my Fire Fighter One. But hey, its worth it! This is my dream career, what I want to do the rest of my life as a career! There's some other stuff that factors into this and I don't want to get into details yet, since I don't have a lot of details myself yet. I will say, however, that this will be more then just getting my dream job, it would be changing my life in one big step as well...a lot of changes in this one big step. We'll see where this goes. I'm trusting in God that He will provide if this is to be and if its not, He will also make that so. Regardless of what God decides for me regarding this career opportunity, since I am putting this all in His hands, I will be happy, since He is doing what is best for me and I know that Lord Jesus Christ is with me every step of the way.

8. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #610

Date: Saturday, May 19th, 2007

Failed my CPAT today. I was on my last event, last set...would have taken me less then ten or seconds, and I ran out of time. I just ddin't push myself hard enough. I was mad at myself, but there are some positives out of this failure:

1) I know I can pass it f I take it again. I wasn't even that winded after the test...which is why I'm mad at myself.

2) If I go up to Northern Colorado to volunteer, I know I can pass the CPAT.

3) The paid oppertunity does not require a CPAT.

I could be all mad and depressed, but it won't get me anywhere. And I always have to remember, its the journey, not the destination that matters. You can thank God for those words, He told me a few weeks agao after I failed my HazMat Operations. So, lets look at it like this: I failed both things I wanted to pass, but, I discovered things about myself, got back into shape, and know how to handle failure. And hey, like God said, its the jounrey that matters, not the destinaton.

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #611

Date: Thursday, May 24th, 2007

I DID IT! I did it! I did it! I did it!

I'm a Career Fire Fighter! [face_dancing] :D :eek:

I'm still in shock over it. I've been mellow all day about it. My mind is still trying to process it all. All I gotta say is to thank God, all my family and friends, and everyone that has helped me along the way. I'm just...oh man...I'm just shocked by it all. Like I'm still trying to grasp the idea that I'm a paid Fire Fighter.

I start in Raton, New Mexico on June 18th. My last day in Colorado will most likely be June 16th. I'm planning to make a get-to-together for my friends---that includes the RMFF, since you are all my friends and always will be---sometime on a weekend coming up.

I will be in Colorado at least twice a month tp visit friends and family on my four days off.

I did it everyone. All these trials and with God's grace, love, and help, I did it. Thank you God and thank you to everyone that has been there for me and has ever helped me or just been there to be aear in times of need and hardship. Thank you all. :)

10. Sith_Lord_Draco

Jun 5, 2005
    and don't forget me and my mom helping you dress right...

-Donovan

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Yes, you did. And I owe you two a lot. Thanks buddy! :)

12. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #612

Date: Thursday, June 07th, 2007

The time is getting closer. Less then two weeks away now. Its still hard to beleive. I've been so mellow about it, just going on with life like one of the biggest things in my life is just another step. I think its because my body is still in shock.

My going away party is going to be at Boondocks at 7 PM (19:00 Hours). I would need anyone who wants to come to let me know by that Monday, the 11th.

Anyways, just been helping my Mom with the house, trying to get stuff ready. This Saturday will be one of those house working days all day long.

My current Volunteer Fire House took the news well when I told them that I had two weeks left last Monday night. There weren't a lot of people there, but the people who were on shift, were happy for me. I'll be sending an email to the rest of the Fire Department regarding my going away party either today or tomorrow.

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #613---The Exodus Begins

Date: Monday, June 18th, 2007

My exodus started on Saturday, June 16th, 2007. My trials began that day. The work of the exodus begins today.

The first day. Lateral Fire Academy. 06:47 Hours. We start at 08:00 Hours.

The day slowly warms up, giving life to a new day, a new beginning. The coldness of the night is slowly melted away with the rising of the sun. Surely today will bring many new beginnings.

I keep a weathered eye for the darkness that drifts and stulks around every corner, in every dark area, for it can not hide where there is light. I keep my Savior close to me, knowing that with him as my body guard, I am protected from the darkness that preys for a heart to take.

As I wait for the call to report, I can only read God's Holy Word and beleive. To breath in this new beginning...

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #614---The Exodus

Date: Wednesday, June 20th, 2007

Well, third day into the Lateral Fire Academy and second day of light drills outside; its been mostly classroom work from eight AM to five PM Monday through Wednesday. PT is on our off hours after training. Today, being the third day, we all made little stupid mistakes. We all feel really stupid about them, but its better we make them in training then in the field.

All of us did get our uniforms today. Man, it feels good to finally wear a uniform! I was talking with one of my roommates today on how good it feels to finally be in uniform. We'll all be linning up tomorrow morning in our new uniforms...wow, what a feeling.

I was named the Team Captain for the first week. I'm in charge of the team, everything stops with me. When the officers want something done, I get the squads on the tasks, spliting resouces accordingly. Right now its not much in direction and orders, but in future weeks and Team Captains, we'll probably be given more and more responability and duties to do as leaders and, as the rest of the team, as Fire Fighters.

15. Sith_Lord_Draco

Jun 5, 2005
    if it's dress uniforms you got to wear a tie, Tehe... and uniforms ain't all that great when you get use to them, just a major pain in the butt. that reminds me i knew some one who use to be a major and his last name was pain, but now he is a colonel.

-Donovan

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    No ties, Donovan. Ties are evil. :p

Journal #615---The Exodus

Date: Saturday, June 30th, 2007

Class from 08:00 Hours to 17:00 Hours, Monday through Friday. Shifts are being assigned. I got class during the day both Monday and Tuesday and pulling shifts at night both days. Forty-eight hours staright of work. Then I report to the fire works show Wednesday. So lots of hours of work in three days...and only forty-eight of it is going on this paycheck (rest go on next paycheck). Dang it. :p

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #616---The Exodus

Date: Monday, July 2nd, 2007

First shift tonight. =P~ Classic everyone, I was hauling in all my over night stuff, not even five minutes on the job, and I drop a medical call! Just, ah, its awsome... :D :cool:

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #617---The Exodus

Date: Monday, July 09th, 2007

The jokes we pull around the House! [face_laugh] Pulled in some Over Time work this weekend. Man, this Lateral Fire Academy is getting hard. HazMat Techician class in a week! :eek: One of those must pass classes or...well, you get the idea.

I've been studying as much/as hard as I can. I'm about to dive into the books here soon again for HazMat stuff.

Got cleared today to drive a few of the vehicles too. Tests and more tests... [face_beatup]

19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #618---The Exodus

Date: Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007

Hey everyone! I miss you all! Man, have I been busy! [face_beatup] I'm hoping Donovan has been passing on my hello's to you all, if he hasn't, go ahead and lightsaber his butt for me. :p Sucker... (Donovan) ;)

Anyways, I've been waiting on my HazMat Technician re-take test results. Job requirement, so we all get the idea.

Woulod have never of thought that my first fire would not only be a 17-hour train yard fire, but a arson fire as well. Twenty-two some hours all told after equipment was cleaned, serviced, and all the trucks were put back at the Fire Stations. To say the least, I got home and fell asleep and slept like a log!

Anyways, I'm on shift, got internet access back at the Fire House today. Been a slow day, but did some interesting stuff. Hope all is well with everyone. God Bless.

20. Sith_Lord_Draco

Jun 5, 2005
    the last meetin i was at was july okay... gosh... your such a dip.

-Donovan

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Dip...wipe... :p

22. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #619---The Exodus

Date: Friday, September 14th, 2007

Got it done! :) :D Got through the Lateral Fire Academy. I'm on C Shift, did my first shift Wednesday. I was doing my last Academy shift Tuesday night too, so between class and shift, I worked back-to-back shifts, 48 hours, to celebrate my passing the academy.

I do have some things I need to majorly work on, but the Chiefs told me what they needed to see done and had confidence that I could improve. I know what I need to improve upon, so now it's time to put on the big boy pants and go after it. ;)

I'm in town this weekend, got in Thursday night. Watched Balls of Furey (great movie, very funny), then hung out with Donovan after he got off of work. I have Jarrod's wedding, which I can now make, on Saturday night to go to, then I head back Saturday night. I'm on a four day, which means I have four days off, then I'm back on shift. Going to Church Sunday, then I'm back on shift Monday.

23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #620---The Exodus

Date: Monday, September 17th, 2007

Been hard trying to adjust from the Lateral Fire Academy over to Shift the first two shifts, but I know that I'll be able to adjust. I just have to relax and breath and beleive in God. :)

24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #621---The Exodus

Date: Thursday, September 20th, 2007

Is it time? Has the breakthrough come? The Lord has kept His Word truthful and all I can do is fall to my knees and praise Him and love Him.

25. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #622---The Exodus

Date: Tuesday, September 25th, 2007

Just living day by day with Jesus Christ. Ain't easy. No one said it would be. Been going through trials from Jesus Christ and probably going through some trials right now I don't even know of. Praise be to the Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.