***The Lightsaber Choreography Contest Begins***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey Guys. The LCC VII has finally started and unlike last year where we gave you the whole month of January to begin planning etc... you only have half of this month to work with in addition to the regular length of the contest, if you all remember I personally (with Sage's permission) gave it an extra month. I do apologize for this as we were working out some details.

This year something new has been added in the distribution area of the contest. The rules, time and length of contest remains the same and they are as follows:

We added something new to the LCC this year and that is that all entries will been seen with the Vimeo Player on the LCC site in addition to being able to download them from the site itself. This is due to a lot of folks, for some reason, not being able to view the Quicktime files that are available for downloading.

RULES OF THE LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY CONTEST VII

1) We reserve the right to adjust, alter, add, remove, and downright screw with any rule that we choose. There is a reason for this. Circumstances change. We are not omnipotent. We cannot foresee every bump in the road. When things go bad, we have to do what's best for the contest. We will, however, do our best to keep things set in stone.

2) The new maximum compressed file size limit is set to 45 Mb or under. Also, all files have to be QuickTime. This is a standard format that we've always used and we see no reason to deviate. However you do have a choice of either compressing it with *Sorenson 3 or H.264. Whichever will help you achieve the 45 Mb or under mark.

3) The new running times must come in under 7 minutes. Credits and opening titles, logos, etc., do not count against your time.

4) ENTRIES MUST BE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED. We can not stress this enough. We are not flexible on this rule. This one has been around from the beginning.

5) No single contestant extensions. If we reach the deadline and we deem that there are not enough entries received at the time, we may grant a small extension to try and accommodate as many as possible.

6) Go nuts. Use anything you want. Weapons, costumes, **and yes a story too, if you like. As long as you meet the time limit criteria, we want to see what you got. Just make sure you remember that this IS a LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY contest. Have fun, guys.

Contest starts Sunday, February 1st 2009 and the deadline for entries is Monday, June 1st 2009. Your entry must be in my hands before 11:59:59 PM, EST Sunday May 31 2009. That's 8:59:59 PM, PST.

* For those who want the best results on playback with the Vimeo player, use the H.264 codec for your final entry before handing it in.

** Make sure that the story isn't longer than the Choreography. There are writing/script contests for that.

Guy # 1: "You killed my Brother!"

Guy # 2: " No I didn't!"

Guy # 1: "Yes you did!"

Guy # 2: "No I really didn't"

Guy # 1: "You so freakin' did!"

Guy # 1 Stabs Guy # 2. Fin.

Not acceptable as a Choreography Contest Entry

Here are some answers to possible questions;

I will not accept .WMVs, AVIs, .DIVXs, .FLVs or any other file type that isn't .MOV.

Yes your entry will be disqualified if I see your entry posted somewhere else before the deadline of the LCC VII.

No there will not be a DVD again this year because of poor response and lack of know-how by people new to filmmaking.

Yes there will be outsiders entering the contest. I've got a few emails from people that are interested. Their entry, like last year will be marked "Non-TF.N Member".

Yes, you are allowed to make more than one entry if time permits it.

The 7 minutes will start once the lightsabers ignite.

You can also access the rules from here.

Questions and, when the Deadline approaches, finished Entries should be delivered to my LCC email with a link to either yousend or filefront, or any file hosting site to;

ObiJuan2080@sabercomp.com

Good Luck Gentlemen.

2. Kaat Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in. This time for real.
  3. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
    You may want to think about that one. I'm imagining entries where they pull out sabers, ignite, circle each other, swing at each other and miss, dodge, evade, cut through tables, chase each other... kick a saber out of the other's hand... 5 minutes later they clash sabers for the first time. You could almost do a whole entry where they never actually clash sabers. (In fact, it would potentially be interesting choreography.)
  4. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't suppose I could petition for a little more summer before the deadline for the whole contest? I live in Minnesota, we don't get warm weather until June...
  5. ShadowDuelist Force Ghost

star 4
    You could choreograph and film the whole thing on a frozen lake or something. That could be really cool.
  6. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    So let me edit that and say "The 7 minutes will start once the lightsabers ignite."

Sorry man, can't do that.
  7. Ryan_W VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Good move, I think.
  8. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    I need a bit of clarification on the uploading to Vimeo bit. Is there going to be a channel for the LCC where we all upload to or will we be uploading to our individual accounts? If the first is true does that mean we'll all get a password to the Vimeo account and upload or are we sending to you and then you will upload?
  9. Whiteley79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Alright, now I'm excited.

A question about the 7 minutes starting when the sabers ignite:
    Am I right in thinking that the setup before the fight can't be longer then seven minutes because there must be more choreography then anything else?

*edit* That is to say if the whole next seven in complete choreography, and no breaks for dialouge or non-saber choroegraphy
  10. BruceM Jedi Master

star 4
    Count me in, hopefully I can get final cut express and a better camcorder by then(if not, does anyone know any good tutorials for iMovie '06?) Also, I have a question. The 45 mb limit, thats for the website, right, to conseve bandwidth and sever space. For the video we upload to vimeo, can it be bigger than 45 mbs, just wondering.

11. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey, would I be able to enter my CGI RvD? Just wondering :)
  12. DaFireMedic Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm about 30 miles east of LA, interested in entering if I can find a partner.

(I have a wife and two young kids, but none of them are interested....:D)
  13. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    Dude that would be totally cool. But ... you started before the competition began ... so ... idk.
  14. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    I haven't actually started animating the fight yet, just the entrances and what you lot haven't seen so far is Dorko running, grabbing his saber and running at Ryan so the fight hasn't actually begun
  15. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm gonna PM you. ;)
  16. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooh! Very good point! No lightsabers have ignited! I love that rule!
  17. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    So I could enter it, could it?

I have been remotivated :)
  18. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't get too excited. You have to get that confirmed by ObiJuan.
  19. DavidHise Jedi Knight

I think I may be on board. Question though, does it have to be rotoscoped? I ask as I might have enough time to get this all choreographed and filmed however I definitely don't believe I have enough time to rotoscope.
  20. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't have time to rotoscope or do any effects or sound on mine the first time I entered, I think you'll be fine.
  21. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm pretty sure you don't, most people rotoscope it after the competition when they have more time.
  22. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm considering it, now that I have the equipment, programs, and personnel at my disposal....

*evil laughter*
  23. DavidHise Jedi Knight

Alright, with that pretty-much-confirmation, I'm in! Good luck to you all! :D
  24. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I know Ryan asked this in the other thread, but just wondering how many people in the L.A. area plan to or are entering?
  25. Whiteley79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    A bit of advice for everyone (myself included):

Start now, or as close to now as you can. I know June 1st sounds so far off and you have plenty of time to get started, but it'll fly by fast. Both of my previous entries suffered heavily from poor pre-production, and countless others just drop out of the competition all together.

I want to see some amazing lightsaber duels and sharpen swords with some serious competition.

Just think, get it done in three months from now and use the remaining time to sit on it, review it, update it, etc to make it the best you can.

Good Luck!
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.