main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***The Lightsaber Choreography Contest Begins***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    I feel compelled to remind you that previously in this thread I've indicated that I will not be appearing in an entry this year.

Edit: Also, since I apparently have the top of the page (at least as my preferences yield) and since SilentBat sounds like he's ready to stay up all night refreshing this page:

2. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    LOL ... Nah, I saw his post :p

3. MartinKlekner

MartinKlekner Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2008
    Aha. I was given a wrong information then.

4. mangenoll

mangenoll Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2009
    Great! Thanks :)

5. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    It ain't friday in Hawaii!

Seriously though, don't make it late afternoon, it's 11:30AM here, late afternoon would mean what 4:AM tomorrow?

6. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    It's Friday night in Guam! Not that anything in Guam really matters....

7. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Guys times zones are going to mess everyone up. As long as the voting period is a minimum of about eighteen hours it will be fine. When it starts is irrelevant as long as the period lasts long enough for everyone to vote on.

8. mangenoll

mangenoll Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2009
    Seems like sabercomp.com is down right now...

Maybe Obijuan is uploading the videos? But it shouldn't be down because of that.

Edit: Seems like it's up again. At least according to http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

9. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    It told me in was unavailable but I refreshed the page and it came up no problems.

10. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    Nice, it'll be 5 here...

11. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Ok guys, a bit of a problem here and I do apologize, but in my defense I didn't know. Vimeo has a 500MB a week upload. That's fine, all entries are 489MB together. What Vimeo doesn't tell you is that you can only upload 10 vids a day. I said "ok" (Vimeo, in my eyes, so far sucking, never liked it in the first place for hosting contest(s) ), I wait til at least now to upload, just found out I have to wait a full 24 hours to upload the rest of the Entries. That part, I didn't know.

So, because I don't want to release the download only entries because Tumblemoster, and myself found out that there is some crazy, annoying file limit...in other words; You can only download one at a time, and even then it fails half way. Refreshing seems to work.

So because of this, I'm going to have you guys wait a while. I'm sorry. However, you guys WILL have all the entries by Tonight. That I can promise.

*braces self in case things are thrown*

EDIT: Heh, should have read the FAQs

12. Sir_Gunblade

Sir_Gunblade Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2009
    Throws giant d20. Better brace your DM screen ObiJuan...

Seriously though, no problem the force is with you. You will find a way (waves hand slowly in front of face.).

13. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Tumblemoster and I just did :D

EDIT: Ok, here's what's happening. Tumblemoster is going to be uploading an LCC VII torrent...Hooray!

14. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Yeah that's one of the downfalls of Vimeo ... the limit. You really need to be a "Plus" member to get the full use of that site.

Will there be a new thread for voting?

15. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Obijuan is uploading the files to my FTP as we speak, completion time is a little over 2 hours. I have a 10mbit upload pipe, so I'll seed a torrent file. THe size is just under 500mb, so if you download via the torrent, please continue to seed, everyone will get to see your films faster. Obi will get the rest of the films on Vimeo as soon as he can.

Can anyone suggest a good public tracker?

16. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    EDIT: Ignore that uber-fail...

17. mangenoll

mangenoll Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2009
    Sorry, no tracker-info, but i've heard that blip.tv is great for uploading. It comes up in the exact same quality as you uploaded it in, and there are no limits. BTW, it's free.

From blip.tv's FAQ:

Seems great to me!
    http://blip.tv/faq
    (they have ftp upload to)

18. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    sooo....what SHOULD have happened is...
    everyone uploads their own video to vimeo, and keeps it password protected until the end of the contest.
    Then organizer makes a group for all this years entries, and everyone takes the pass off thier video.
    That way you might get people to actually watch the entries :D I don't think anyone will be DLing these.

19. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    I'm going to watch them all on muh big screen... No joke. But I agree, everyone should've uploaded to their own vimeo page (who doesn't have one?) and pass protected it till voting begins.

20. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Is it going to be necessary to install a program like utorrent to get the file? I have a limited experience with torrents. I might need a bit in the way of instruction to get the things.

So why aren't the files available on sabercomp???

21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Better yet, the LCC gets an official YouTube page and uploads the videos there for viewing. I really don't understand why we're struggling with zip files and torrents for a video contest in 2009.

22. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Youtube vids have crappy quality is all... And it takes forever to upload and then there isn't any assurance that the video will actually be available on the page within the next three hours though.

23. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    QFFT.

So, basically what's happening is due to poor planning, the videos won't be available today after all?
    You really ought to look into hosting on an official youtube channel instead. Videos are high quality(not arguable anymore, they even support HD), and can be made private until you want to release them. There's also an unlimited space, allowing the entire LCC archive to be hosted in one account, without waiting for some damn limitations to let you upload more.

I know you have that "the rules this year are the final rules this year, and will not change whatsoever" rule, but you really should change some of them to fit how the web works now, compared to the time around LCCI, where compression was one thing, let alone hosting.

Youtube really isn't that bad, honestly. Vimeo is great too, but I personally watch way more vids on Youtube than I do on Vimeo, and not only because it's way more content on Youtube, it's easy to use, has great sets of rules, and even supports high quality/HD.

In fact, the only one thing I really hate about Youtube is the fact that such a pioneering site forces you to leave the current page in order to sign in, rather than make a pop-up-box for it.

24. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Agreed.

25. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    Well, I can tell you that the quality of these videos is not all that high to begin with seeing as they were already highly compressed for this contest. The ones that look good would continue to look pretty good... and in the end, you can still see the choreography, and that's what matters. If, after the contest is over, people are demanding higher quality versions, then that burden can fall on the creators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.