main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lightsaber Effects Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by krnbanguboi, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    I can't speak for Nate here, but generally, this varies. You can't use the same setting for a far shot and a close-up. I did, however, make a template a couple of years back that generates "correct" blurs(based on my preference, though) based on your initial blur amount.

2. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    That's what I've done in Shake and After Effects. I adjust the core blur and then all the other layers are linked to that and will adjust accordingly. It really speeds up the process when you have over 100 shots to plow through. To answer your question, John, the main softening of the core on my shots are usually just a blurring of 1, 1.5 or 2, depending, as Tom said, on the distance from the camera. There are a few shots where I'll bump that higher, and I believe like, one shot in Duel of the Dorks where I went up to 4, but that's because the saber prop was inches from the lens. Of course we also had a shallow depth of field, so there was an even larger blur over the entire saber to throw it out of focus. Anywho... the core blur is at 100% opacity and set to normal instead of screen. Otherwise the unblurred core would show through, defeating the entire purpose of the initial softening.

3. MasterKyobi9d9

MasterKyobi9d9 Jedi Master

Feb 13, 2005
    Now I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, a mod can direct me accordingly(it's been a long time since I've visited this SW forum.)
    Anywho, I'm looking for someone in the special f/x field to do a 'lightsaber' effect for 4 small clips for a short new comedy based on Star Wars. If anyone is interested in helping please message me or email kyle_jv@hotmail.com

It would be much appreciated!

Btw, the film is called STAR WARS: GREEN HARVEST.

4. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Keep your spirits up, you lightsaber artists! Inspiration!

5. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    That's actually really a good thing to post during the time of an LCC. Thanks. Pointless, but inspiring.

6. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Oh it is completely 100% pointless and random!

7. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
  8. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    I have no idea how I had never seen that, but that's awesome.

9. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    I never actually posted it in the LCC thread, just on Facebook. Clearly you don't stalk me enough.

10. Kaat

Apr 5, 2004
    Okay, I've had our first training session today where most of the team (minus an actor and one rotoscoper) was gathered and we did two hours of stickbanging.

It was... well, messy. I assume we'll get more into it, but the beginning was kind of a desaster with everybody just cracking up every few seconds and pointing out how stupid everybody looked with the sabers.
    I guess it's my fault as well. I didn't make an entrace as a serious, down-to-earth filmmaker, but rather started like "Well, um, so we're doing that fight with laserswords, let's not hit each other too hard or look like nerds".

11. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    *Psst* I think you got the wrong thread ;)

12. Kaat

Apr 5, 2004
    ... fcuk.

13. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    [image=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5895/quagmire.jpg]

14. Kaat

Apr 5, 2004
    Be nice to me. It was my first time.

15. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    [image=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5895/quagmire.jpg]

16. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006

17. Kaat

Apr 5, 2004
    So, for practicing, I wanted to repair some of the lightsaber glows of the so-called Special Edition of ANH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb6sH93ikUQ

Someone (I guess VaporTrail?) said he didn't like them too much, though. o_O

18. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    They're fine. The aura just isn't my style.
    It'd be nice to have unroto'd versions of those shots so we could replace the glows proper, but I've never seen anything but outtakes.

19. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    The glow/aura seems a tad too big, and the dropoff is a bit sudden for a glow that big. Nice colors, though.

20. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    So anybody mind bringing up the techniques used for day sabers? And just to be safe, is there a way of keeping glows when a saber is against the sky, or do I just try to avoid that?

21. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    In my experience, the key to having a saber not blown out against a sky is to have a properly exposed sky. =)
    [image=http://a.imageshack.us/img641/8343/image7ec.jpg] [image=http://a.imageshack.us/img820/5281/lunge.jpg]
    I did those sabers just how I would any other, prior to having learned the daytime effect. Pretty sure it was the Adj. layer method.

I have the Jedi573's "Daysaber" tutorial saved in a Word document. Is the e-mail in your profile still current?

22. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Yes, sir.

23. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Thought I'd get back into rotoing the other day. Here's one that I did real quick trying to get a good fairly unique looking green blade for a short that we're gonna be shooting some time in januaryish time frame, and for next years LCC.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/monkeyheadstudios/jedi002Final0000000.jpg]
    I love how it turned out, because I think it looks a bit more menacing than a just plain green glow. Almost like the blade is burning hotter than normal, or something.

The photo used is just a random photo that I grabbed off of the rebel legion site.

24. Kaat

Apr 5, 2004
    Yeah, it's cool. I like a good bit of yellow around the core of a green saber myself. As you said, it simply looks hotter, more menacing that way, which is cool.

25. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    hee, hee.

horny.