main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lightsaber Effects Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by krnbanguboi, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So, does anyone know of a tutorial for creating the TFA Lightsword effect? Would like to try it out just for fun.

2. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006

Supposedly PixelMagic is making one.

3. StevenBills

Jan 6, 2006

Supposedly PixelMagic is making one.

SB

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I'm hoping he will. He hasn't updated about it in a while though, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knew of another tutorial :)

5. SaberComp

SaberComp Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2014
    I'm recording mine this weekend, but I've been RnDing it for a while. Ryan, Brandon, Nate and I have all been trying to get that and the Kylo Ren saber effect down. Here's a livestream I did a couple weeks back doing Finn's saber, it's 2 hours long but if you skip near the end you can see what I ended up with. It's pretty simple, just took some figuring out to accomplish it exactly.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll be checking it out, thanks!
    The one I meant was Kylo Ren's lightsaber, but the Finn one is interesting too! :)

7. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    I have been doing a lot of look development these past few weeks. I also found Ricardo's RnD video very helpful in that regard.

Here are two tests that I made. I suggest you download the videos and read them in Quicktime.

1. Kylo Ren crossguard lightsaber test
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb5d0j4wbbeu4tt/KyloRen_Test_v09.mov?dl=0
    I worked on it for 5 days in December, constantly coming back to it and tweaking it some more. That said, I'm not entirely satisfied with the result and the blades are obviously too thick. I should make another version soon. I'm confident it will look better and close to the original.

2. Standard blue lightsaber blade test
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojg5xhodwi03f69/Lightsaber_Test_v05.mov?dl=0
    My goal was to improve upon the look for a normal blade and making it so that we can notice slight irregularities in the containment field. Overall, I believe it makes for a more detailed and organic effect. At this point or rather, after having seen The Force Awakens, it doesn't make much sense to me that a lightsaber blade could be perfectly straight and smooth.

Sorry about the pink watermarks. I'm experimenting with Jae Tool's Real Glow plugin trial. I happen to love the plugin so I might buy it later this week! It gives very realistic or accurate results as it uses the inverse square law for its falloff.

Feel free to ask any question you like! But I'm unfortunately not going to record a tutorial as my hardware is pretty bad.

8. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Version 6 in yellow. I made minor modifications to the glow's radius and intensity but I totally changed the way I do the wiggle/flicker effect. It's now configured in such a way that it's the core width that varies. I think it looks even better. The idea came to me after I watched duels from Rebels and thought back of how it's portrayed in the Jedi Knight games.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujaava063di06pa/Lightsaber_Test_v06_Yellow.mov?dl=0

9. StevenBills

Jan 6, 2006
    Hey that looks pretty good! Did you use the Edge Animate effect? And if it's not too much to ask, maybe you could do an "Old Skool" tutorial with pics and text, like the good 'ol days before YouTube.

SB

10. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Hello Steven,

I use a combination of Turbulent Displace and Roughen Edges. And the mask's expansion is also randomized with an expression.

He he, you're right. I could do an old school text and images tutorial. [face_mischief] But I am not going to do that until I've brought my process to the extent where I can hardly improve upon it. Here's where I'm at with my second crossguard test.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8amfegl6o3iel6/Unstable_Blade_WIP_v04.mov?dl=0

11. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
  12. StevenBills

Jan 6, 2006
    Looking good!

13. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Have you tried to offset the flicker from the unstable core? They look in unison, unless you're going for that. Nonetheless, it looks good!

14. TheOnlyDoor

TheOnlyDoor Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2008
    I noticed ryan-w.com has changed and no longer has ryan wiebers tutorials. He had one where he had typed out the instructions for adding a lightsaber flicker using classic color dodge. Anyone remember how to do that?
    thanks.

15. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Excuse me, I am not sure I understand your question. However, I will say that it's true my flickering isn't as randomized as it should be since I haven't made it so that the ambers have an influence on it.

16. StevenBills

Jan 6, 2006
  17. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    You activate the stopwatch, put two keyframes, one at the beginning and another at the end with a value of 0% then you search for the Wiggler tool and set its parameters. Personally, I prefer using using an expression.

18. TheOnlyDoor

TheOnlyDoor Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks gents

19. TheOnlyDoor

TheOnlyDoor Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2008
  20. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Your link doesn't work since it's the wrong one. You must copy the link from the Share button.

A new test I've made today. It's based on Finn's lightsaber.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtuky8db1qsrk87/Standard_Blade_TFA_v02.mp4?dl=0

21. TheOnlyDoor

TheOnlyDoor Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks, didnt know that...hope this one works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0rzvxv8fqechkg/Backyard(blasters).mp4?dl=0
    Same question about blaster bolts....TFA bolts look different than the prequels as well. Right now I just use the lightsaber method as well as tinting the area around the bolt with an adjustment layer.
    Love your saber, it appears to shimmer rather than flicker. Yes TFA sabers appear to have gone fuzzy (electric) rather than pure and solid (lazer-like).

22. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Good! Your link works now. I like your stock footage elements in the clip. As for the blaster bolts, you may certainly use the same glow method as with the lightsaber but make sure to animate their blur values according to the bolt's size on screen. Do you have the plugin Trapcode Particular? I have an idea as to how you could make them look right, look-wise and perspective-wise. If you're willing to send me your source footage, I'd be more than happy to produce an example for you. I would also share the AE project afterwards! (What makes them tricky to make is them being parallel to the camera's focal point.)

I agree with your remarks on TFA. ILM has changed a lot of norms in this film. Everything is slightly different in terms of look and behaviour, but it's all for the best if you ask me!

23. TheOnlyDoor

TheOnlyDoor Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2008
    heres the stock footage. https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0lwjux1mq44mo1/Backyard test 3.mov?dl=0
    No I dont have trapcode, unless it comes stock with AE CC ( I have the subscription version)

24. Erty_Swampa

Erty_Swampa Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2005
    Good! I'll get started once I'm back home from work. If you don't have Trapcode Particular, I guess you could fiddle with 3D layers in the meantime.

25. The_First_07er

The_First_07er Jedi Master

Jan 1, 2007
    Yeah I think Nate Caauwe had a pretty good laser tut for AE using the Beam effect. This was years ago, back when he was VFX Sup on The Movie Spoof series. I'll hit him up and see if it's still around somewhere.

SB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk