"The Lightsaber" from ROTJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Spacehunter24, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Spacehunter24 Jedi Master

star 4
    I finally picked up the 1997 2CD RETURN OF THE JEDI score (finally finding one with the 97 Special Edition artwork). It's fantastic, but there's something that's been irking me.

The first half of track 6 on Disc 2, "The Lightsaber." The liner notes say this is the scene where Luke finally snatches his lightsaber and tries to strike down the Emperor, but Vader blocks his swing. However, the music on the track does not match that scene in the film. It's actually longer. I synched it up, and the track runs over into the next scene of Chewie and Ewoks taking over the AT-ST.

So I'm guessing this version of "The Lightsaber" on the CD is an alternate or something, perhaps if the scene was originally longer. But would they could include an alternate and the not the film version of the cue as well?

Did anybody else notice this?
  2. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    There's a lot of this on the Special Edition CDs, man. Film scores are never *exactly* as they appear in the film. Small edits (or large ones) are made to better suite the film, and the music is edited accordingly.

The fact that you're only making this comment about ONE track on ONE soundtrack... Well, my point is, haven't you noticed this before on like every other soundtrack? They never ALL sync up perfectly to the movie, that's just the nature of scores.

Plus, the SEs themselves contain a multitude of cues (sometimes quite lengthy ones) that were never used in the movie. It says this on the CDs. Listen to the TESB soundtrack and try to sync that one up with the movie. Good luck. :p They all contain extra music on almost every other track.

Anyways, don't worry about them not synching up perfectly and just enjoy the scores for the amazing works they are, and enjoy the movies for the amazing works they are! :)
  3. JimWare Jedi Knight

Just some clarification:

The first 46 seconds of 'The Lightsaber' actually consist of two revised inserts for 'The Emperor Arrives'.

4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Right you are, thanks for adding that. :)
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.