main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    This can't be it because a Jedi builds his own lightsaber after training in the use of the Force. Finn certainly hasn't had that and unless the spoilers/rumors we've heard so far are wrong, neither has Rey.
    Unless there is also an instruction book that is found along with the saber.

2. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Instruction booklet?? [face_laugh]

"How To Construct a Lightsaber" by Master Yoda - with forward by Mace Windu.

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I kind of like the idea that many years ago, something was put into the lightsaber that could detect strong Force users. Maybe it was put there by Vader to find Jedi but of course he lost it during his duel with Obi-Wan. Or maybe Obi-Wan put it there after ROTS to try and warn Jedi across the galaxy. Either way, Vader no longer had it after ROTS and thus could not find Luke. Maybe this has to do with the "Children of the Force" idea and the crystal inside it is essential.

Perhaps Leia sent Poe to retrieve the saber NOT because of her desire to find Luke but rather to find her daughter who she knew was very Force sensitive?

It does appear that the lightsaber, or something inside it, is decoded by the droids and the location of Luke is disclosed. So if that's the case, either Luke put something inside it after ROTJ, Rose put something inside it after the massacre, or Vader put something in it WAY before that time to detect Jedi and the droids just used it to find Luke. I can't imagine any other way they'd suddenly learn the location of Luke.

ETA: One other thing to add is that supposedly Han, upon seeing the lightsaber, immediately knows they need to see Rose. Han knows something about the lightsaber and knows Rose and her involvement. More mysteries.....

nightangel likes this.
  4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Han knows Rose, likely Rose took Rey (Hans daughter) into hiding after the Jedi Academy attack.

So when Rey shows up with Luke's lightsabre he rightly goes in search of Rose one of the few Jedi survivors so they can work out what's going on.

5. Liam Corley

Liam Corley Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2014
    A theory i've been thinking for a while now: Vader discovered coordinates for an ancient super weapon of some kind he was planning on using against the emperor. Following ESB he retrieved the saber and placed the coordinates in the crystal or something. After the empire fell Luke found his old saber in Vaders castle or something like that and found the coordinates. Realizing this weapon should never be under anyones control he hid the saber on Jakku or maybe jetisoned it into space.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Right. Maybe there isn't enough time/space in the movie to explain why or how the lightsaber made its way off Bespin and into Luke's hands, but it's kind of essential that it be explained to us 1) why Luke decided to use it and not a paperweight as his message in a bottle and 2) why Kylo Ren et al are so keen on obtaining it. The latter could just be explained by the fact that Kylo is both a collector and a Vader super fan, so Vader's old lightsaber is a big prize. But the first question remains unanswered.

If Luke did in fact the person send the lightsaber out into the universe looking for a successor, then there has to be a reason why he chose to use the Bespin saber instead of, say, his RotJ saber (which wouldn't trigger all the questions regarding how it was obtained/found light the Bespin saber) or a datapad or even a star destroyer in a bottle.

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Now you're making TOO much sense. That would work perfectly if Han realizes quickly that Rey is his daughter OR that the saber was present at the academy where his children were and he wants to find out what happened to them (even though one is potentially right in front of him).

But the Bespin saber? That doesn't fit.

Maybe this one lightsaber that was originally in the hands of the one conceived by the Force has kind of a "mind of its own".

Too many questions about the lightsaber. Giving me a headache. I hope it doesn't end up like LOST where there were hundreds of questions and not a single one was every answered.

8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm beginning to suspect that the lightsaber has nothing to do with Luke's location. Its said in the flashback that Rose picks up "an object." I think that is what has the potential location of Luke. I think the object is probably some sort of holocron(the concept was introduced in Rebels).

I think Rose may be withholding information the whole time.

nightangel and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Seems to me now that the consensus is that the lightsaber IS the Bespin one but that it hadn't been floaing around in space for decades. Rather, it was found, given back to Luke who put some sort of message in it. We'll likely found out in the Rose scene how it got to where it got to and what happened to it since Bespin.

10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  11. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Reminds me of the wands from Harry Potter :p:D

12. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Did he add this modification the 10 minutes he were evil before he lost it/became a crispy critter?;)

13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Villages are torched. People are tortured. Young girl is pursued violently. Superweapons are made. Horrible acts are committed.

If this is all for the light saber, then that damn saber has a LOT more importance than just being a cool artifact and a symbol or because someone wants to accessorize. If the light saber is not that important, then there are much bigger reasons for all of the horror to be committed.

Another question is when did Anakin first get this lightsaber and who did he get it from?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Excellent Question Master Jax.

Best post \ question I've read today.

dekaneas and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Not sure if serious or sarcastic o_O

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    I am serious sir.

That is a great question.

"How did Anakin come to possess this light saber?"

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    All I pretty much meant is that the saber could have importance that originates from before Anakin's time. It wasn't Qui-Gon's because he had a green one.

Actually we have NO idea how Jedi even come to their light sabers. We know Luke made on on Tatooine. But do we know anything else about how other obtain theirs? Do they all make lightsabers.

18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    According to TCW all Jedi create their own lightsabres. I think...

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Anakin created his 2nd lightsaber (Excalibur) during the times of the Clone Wars. He lost his first lightsaber on Geonosis. ;)

20. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    We may very well get to witness this on Rebels cartoon.

Ezra got the crystal from Yoda in which to use in building his saber.

21. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :D

nightangel likes this.
  22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    it's tradition that Jedi make their own...now that doesn't necessarily mean Anakin made his, but I think it's implied.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Alright we got that question answered.

We still don't know why it is important.

For something as silly as a light saber floating through space there MUST be a good explanation as to why it is even featured. I get tired of people saying "oh it's just not that important-it's just symbolic" like the bone in Space Odyssey.

The light saber is important. It hasn't been floating around since ESB.Something happened to and with it between then and now. Luke put something in it or it has the ability to seek the next person in the legacy. The bad guys knew about it. The good guys knew about it. If it were just any old light saber that has been floating around since ESB, it would not be sought after. Sure, it will probably be akin to the Elder Wand, horicruxes, the ring, or an infinity ring, but certainly not just something that reminds someone of someone else.

Dak Oolron and nightangel like this.
  24. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    There is another interesting question to answer about the Bespin lightsaber, will it have the hilt of ANH or ESB? A few little changes were done as you can see here. [face_laugh]:p
    [​IMG]

the 2nd is from ESB and the 3rd is from ANH. :p

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Based on the Master Replica version, it seems the ESB version (2nd down in that pic) is the canonical one.

Whats' the last one pictured? Anakin's from ep 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.