main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, the last one is a custom made version. ;)

2. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I've always loved Luke's green RotJ lightsaber (and Obi-Wan's Clone Wars+ saber)... I just wish it didn't have the big boxy activation plate on the side. Seems like a lot of the PT hilt designs minimized or eliminated it (visually) for a more streamlined appearance.

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I really think they'll leave how Luke go the blue lightsaber back out of the film. It may be in the novelization, but even then I doubt they'll say much about it.

However, the story group almost certainly knows or has an idea for the history of the lightsaber... of that I'm sure.

EDIT: In the meantime I'm going to go with the Thrawn Trilogy answering how it reappeared on the galactic stage.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If Luke got the saber back, I don't think they'll be able to leave it out as to how. There will be a LOT of people raising fists in the air about the inconsistencies. That's how SW fans are. JJ knows that. They've combed through every reason why there were problems with the PT. JJ isn't about to throw things to the wind for the hell of it (even if he's done so with TV shows). A passing line near the end, a flash scene from Rose's pub sequence, etc, is all that is needed.

But I'm 100% confident that the lightsaber had not been floating around since ESB UNLESS something was done with it prior to ANH and Uber knows about it. Perhaps Obi-Wan did put something inside it and that will be a way to shoehorn Obi-Wan into the story.

But the whole nonsense about it not being important reminds me of conversations I had with people during LOST. There were people with the mindset of "why does there have to be a plot or story or meaning? Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is-a bunchof random people on an island for no real reason". Made me want to :mad:because those people really came off as completely stupid.

5. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Obi-Wan changed something at the hilt, before he passed it to Luke. ;)

6. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Never did like the lightsaber floating in space nonsense. Sounds like a sequel to Space Mutiny more than Star Wars. I figured the Bespin saber would show up again though. Lando retrieving it and giving it back to Luke seems like the only plausible explanation. Don't see Vader keeping mementos of Anakin Skywalker around, and no one else knew about that battle save Leia, Chewie, and Lando so no way Ren knows about it.

My best guess is that Luke carries both sabers with him, going from place to place using his skills as a Jedi to help people. He eventually gets married and has a daughter (Rey). Eventually he has to go into a battle where he can't take Rey and she stays on Jakku. She then hears that the battle went bad and an alien refugee from the battle comes to Jakku looking for Rey and gives her the lightsaber. Rey now knows she has to leave Jakku to find her father. Finn is a survivor of the same battle.

dekaneas and nightangel like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I always did like the Bespin saber design more and looking at those replicas confirms that.

As far as the saber in the film, as long as there's no disembodied hand anywhere near it, I'm good.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I still prefer the idea that Luke recreated a lightsaber like his father's, put a message in it and had it sent in space. Uber knows about it because he knows of the message in it somehow. Seems to be the simplest explanation.

Forcesensitive01 and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  9. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Whenever I hear about the floating lightsaber and hand in space rumor I think about the Dead Space game cover. http://cdn3.volusion.com/jants.petuy/v/vspfiles/photos/10211-2.jpg

And the idea of Luke's disembodied hand and saber would be cool and creepy... if the genre were horror like Dead Space. But it's not and so the mere idea of it sounds ridiculous. The rules of space in real life do still apply in these movies.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you people call yourselves sw fans and you don't know where jedi get their sabers? :(

11. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I lurk often, and I rarely post. That being said, none of this makes any sense to me, either in universe or outside it.

That being said, I will believe the saber tumbles through space and lands on a planet when I see it with my own two eyes this December. :)

Another bit that isn't getting through my think skull is how these kids can find a lightsaber and magically know how to use it. I mean, will it not undercut the importance of Jedi training if one of the characters can immediately hit a button and start using the saber in combat? Luke himself was very slow to go to his lightsaber over a blaster. In ESB, he doesn't even go to the saber until he sees Vader.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  12. WhiteDeath

WhiteDeath Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2015
    Or a Big Hairy Wampa...

Anyway, I don't buy the floating through space theory. Highly more likely that it comes into Lando's possesion, because he runs things there, and he eventually gets it back to Luke.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They get them at Lightsabers 'R Us, right? It's right across the street from "Twi'leks, Twi'leks, Twi'leks!"

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  14. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014

It actually does sorta resemble his first one actually: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker's_first_lightsaber

nightangel likes this.
  15. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015

I know where Jedi get light sabers. The Star Wars stores in the Disney parks. You can customize them any way you want, why wouldn't Jedi get them there? Pssh, so obvious.

16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    No it is right across the street from Starwarsbucks and Jawa Java.

17. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I was actually talking to my mom about the saber and she was just like "it was the will of the force" lol I have a feeling that will actually be the reasoning behind how the saber got found.

DarthIshyZ, Dak Oolron, KenW and 2 others like this.
  18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That really hurts.

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    you forgot this is Star Wars and not Mickey Mouse. [face_batting]

starocean90 likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

^:)^ [face_laugh] I bet it hurt more when you were initially disconnected.

21. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Han may go to Rose because he remembers the saber , he did after all save his life and Luke's on Hoth using it on a Tauntaun. He may also remember the saber was a gift either to one of his children or one of Luke's thus him needing to find a Jedi (because he realizes something is wrong)

nightangel likes this.
  22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I never liked how lightsabers are these secret weapons that only a Jedi can create. Sure, making the components and being able to assemble it for themselves is one thing, but Jedi being the only ones to create one is dumb. No matter how you look at it, you still need machinery to mold, punch, cut, press and bend the parts to make one. And that's if you even have the materials to build one, anyway. If you remember, the young Padawans in that Clone Wars arc needed to find the internal crystals — the outer and inner casings were already made for them.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Wildcatbarry likes this.
  25. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I don't find it too much of a stretch (for the Star Wars universe) to imagine someone travelling into the heart of a gas giant to retrieve the lost hilt. What intrigues me is that they must have had a really good reason for wanting to do that.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.