main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Well if Luke sent his saber away, he wouldn't be armed. Also, it allows for Rey to have a weapon before she makes her own.

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The sabre turning up on Jakku may seem like a random event at first, but I'd say that it's anything but and that Maz will clarify it's true purpose. I believe it's key to Rey's story arc as a 'reluctant Jedi'.

3. Jedi Dai Wen

Jedi Dai Wen Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2014
    Interesting to see when I started a similar thread a month or more ago I got the message "Please use one of the existing "lightsabers / duels in the ST" threads for this. Locking." But now this thread is okay, lol ! Random moderation !

4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

This thread was started in May 2013... :rolleyes:

5. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    yeah, this IS the existing Lightsaber thread.

6. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    If you'll remember the Mark Hamill interview he says "To pass down Excalibur".

Excalibur isn't just any sword.

Obi -Wan picks it up at the end of ROTS.

Luke uses it in the ESB duel when it was lost.

I believe we'll get a reason for the use of this particular saber.

Redimet and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If, as I believe, a skilled Force user can read the memories stored on the crystal then it could be very important to Snoke and/or Kylo Ren. It maybe that they need to find out something about Vader, the Emperor or Luke or possibly something that the lightsabre was witness to after Luke lost it on Bespin. Alternatively the lightsabre might 'know' something about the First Order that Snoke and Kylo Ren would like to keep secret from the Resistance.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    It is a family heirloom, which was used by two of the most famous and powerful Jedi Knights in history. Why it finding Rey might be a big deal. Also why Kylo might want it.

kip73 likes this.
  9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Is there supposed to be some sort of power associated with Luke's lightsaber? Does Kylo Ren want it just to be stronger in the Force or to find Luke himself?

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it has no mystical power no.

11. inotropic

inotropic Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2009
    My guess is the lightsaber contains a major cameo via holographic message playable only by R2-D2. Perhaps in RotS Yoda and Obi-Wan discuss how to be force ghosts then opt to use this if necessary to tell Luke to go deeper into hiding. One or both record a message for Leia on R2 with 3PO using an extinct language (sort of a two-man rule). Obi-Wan takes their memory chips instead of wiping them and puts them in the lightsaber. (Alternately, Yoda could record a message on R2 on Dagobah and put that in the lightsaber.) Either way the droids could get their memories back (assuming R2 ever lost his) and there's a cameo from Yoda or Obi-Wan or both.

12. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I thought it was like in Harry Potter the wand chooses its owner

or like in Clone Wars the lightsaber crystal chooses its owner...

wait a minute

13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    spoilers point to it being the key to luke's location and in the leigh brackett esb draft the saber had a crystal stored in the hilt that was a holo map. in esb it led luke to yoda and in tfa it will lead to luke instead. this is probably what happens.

carlcockatoo likes this.
  14. inotropic

inotropic Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2009
    In the Brackett draft the crystal still had to be placed by someone other than Luke... Ben, Luke's father (not Vader), Minch (Yoda), or maybe every lightsaber came with a map leading to Minch. In TFA it could have been Yoda, but more likely Obi-Wan.

When Luke and Leia were born Obi-Wan probably checked them for midi-chlorians. Luke had them, Leia not so much. After Bail offered to take Leia on the Alderaan Cruiser, I'll guess Obi-Wan walked down the hall and recorded a message on R2 for an older Leia Organa (who would be unable to communicate with force ghosts) revealing his and Luke's fallback position. Then he added to the lightsaber 3PO's supposedly wiped memory as part of the puzzle. A low-res Ewan McGregor cameo would not be hard to keep on the down low, a real crowd pleaser in the film's final moments.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    I don't think its some great power stored in the lightsaber or something. The spoilers noted that after Kylo interrogation with Rey, he no longer required the lightsaber. So my guess is its some kind of information, maybe the last known location of Luke Skywalker.

16. Darth Punx

Darth Punx Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2015
    For some reason I started thinking recently that the whole thing about searching for Luke's Lightsaber might be a decoy throughout the movie. We will be led to believe from the start that Kylo and the First Order are on the hunt for the "Lightsaber" assuming it's Luke's because the story is set up that way but later we find out that Luke's Lightsaber showing up on Jakku was coincedence (Maz states it's there for a reason) when in reality, the Lightsaber that Kylo is really after is the one that Rey has been carrying around the whole time, the Staff that once belonged to Darth Plagueis. Even Rey doesn't know until it's revealed, she's just been using it as a regular staff to kick butt. :)

17. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I have no idea what the importance of the lightsaber is but I will say this. We have no idea how Anakin made it or where or even if he did make it. It has never been shown or told in any of the canon so far so who knows the saber could be more important then we realize.

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yoda could have done it on dagobah and then when luke lost the saber yoda could have told him about it instead.

19. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Is it possible that Anakin did not make the light-saber but instead was given it or found it? Has the light-sabers creation ever been documented in canon or even legends at all?

Darth Archimage likes this.
  20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    "There was no creator. I carried it, I fought, I lost it. I can't explain what happened."
    Shmi Anakin Skywalker ;)

21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The relics the Knights of Ren are collecting are being used to find whatever traces of Darth Vader's dark energy remains. It's probably being done to find some sort of secret of his that has never been discovered. Perhaps a secret weapon or object which was being used by Vader to undermine or hoped to overthrow the Emperor at one point. Perhaps Anakin eventually hoped to take the throne for himself.

22. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think this is closer to what the actual truth will end up being. It had great value for that reason, but like pretty much everything else in regard to this movie, we lack factual information.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If this secret planet location within the saber is true...... Luke lost it in ESB, so were the coordinates already in there? How did Luke get to the planet that these coordinates indicate? Who put them in there? Did Luke know they were in there? How do other people know the importance of the lightsaber?

24. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    erm crowd pleaser?...speak for yourself.

25. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah I've had a hard time believing that rumor since I first heard it. Makes little to no sense, especially considering the fact that we don't know how and when the weapon was found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.