main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The LIGHTSABRE COMPETITION Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Jul 8, 2002.

?

Which of the three lightsabre examples do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2002.
  1. Version 'A'

22 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Version 'B'

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Version 'C'

47 vote(s)
    49.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    lol! ok, ok! lol, i'll fix it! Lens flares just kinda... "spice it up" i guess...

The general opionion in that lens flares, especially ones that stick themselves out like those did, are unprofessional looking, and shouldn't be done.

oh, and btw, in the movies, the sabers did have a small lens flare when there's a close up on them :p

Do you have an example picture? I've studied the lightsaber in the films, and have never noticed even the slightest hint of lens flare, except maybe the small star that appears right at the emitter when a blade is first actived, or as it is last deactivated.

2. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    k, with lens flares:

http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/shadowfalls/done.jpg

without lens flares

http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/shadowfalls/noflare.jpg

btw, i used a "spicy" version of ryans method *tips hat to ryan* your way is good!

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I always though it was a risk Scott, you had everything to lose.

Actually Daft, I lost nothing. I remain undefeated for video, and that's what matters. [face_devil]

Congrats Ryan!

M. Scott

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    In Episode II especially, there are emitter flares on the sabers, but what makes them unlike emitter flares in the traditional Adobe sense is that in the movie they are color balance the same with the rest of the aura and not white, and also do not produce refractals.

Anyway, for anybody interested, in my pic there I used 4 aura layers at 5, 10, 20, 40 I believe (or double those figures, I don't quite recall) and color balanced it to be more of a pure blue than compared to, say, Dorkman since I figured the blue didn't really need to be striking over a pure black background. I think a lot of this competition was in people's color balance prefrences.

5. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    EIF: I think it's in Episode one, when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are fighting Maul. Right before maul does his backflip off the circular platform onto teh other ramp, It does a closeup of obi-wan and his lightsaber has a flare right where the blade starts (i think... havnt watched the movie in awhile)

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    in my pic there I used 4 aura layers at 5, 10, 20, 40 I believe (or double those figures, I don't quite recall)

It was double. I recall thinking 80 pixels is MASSIVE, when you told me.

M. Scott

7. funkedelic_bob

funkedelic_bob Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks Daft, I thought it was a good spot aswell :)

Congrats to Ryan and of course the others that participated! Now... if I could only repliacte that! :)

Oh yes... next time... lets make it 3-4 days I don't think I could last that long on another competition! :)

8. Jrr_Dude

Jrr_Dude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Had to put mine in:http://www.geocities.com/jandjfilms/DOOKU.jpg
    If tht dosnt work, add a ? after it
    Stupid geocities... if u know better hosting send it to me at JandJFilms@yahoogroups.com

--JrrDude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.