main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The Line Journal

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ObiWill, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Drama... adventure... excitement... and some pretty thoughtless comments, too. I wonder, why must the author feel the need to continue the name-calling?

I've had enough crap talked about me. I was called "Willow" in summer camp when I was 13, insulted the entire summer by bigger kids. I've moved beyond that now. However, I cannot move beyond being insulted on the internet for the whole Line population to see.

How callous of you.

2. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Will..I agree.

The Line Journal some decided to keep seemed to me like a great idea but it has just proven how quickly a great idea can go South if not handled with taste and dignity.

Now, before a rant begins about free speech and no one here can dictate what someone posts on their own site that's all true. I don't dispute that. And I agree anyone can writer whatever they want in their own journals. But..if something is available on the net for people to read commentary must not only be expected but welcomed. So here is mine.

I think it's incredibly immature and in poor taste to post insults and gossip that circled about people during the line. Not only that, it's hurtful to our members who were being discussed.

We did not have these issues in 99...makes me wonder if tthe line is worth participating in in 2005.

Also, these posts are causing division among our members (Not just the people involved but others have told me they don't like it)and after working so hard with our staff to get this club to the point it's at I will do everything I can to protect it. Show some class people.

3. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't know what's right. I don't know what's wrong. I don't know what's going on. But it seems that it shouldn't be too much to ask for grownups to act like grownups.

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Edit: Forget it

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So someone deleate this thread then. It does not belong here.

Devil's advocate position. If the link to the linelog was posted in a thread on this board, then why can't people complain about it in another thread? (specifically if they're mentioned in the log)

6. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Edit: Ditto

7. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    (No message)

8. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to offer my perspective as I did not participate in the line and have no prior knowledge of the events that are referred too.

Having read some of the journals/logs that have been posted I have to say that some of them are...well, nasty, divisive, assinine, and very high-schoolish. Some entries lable, not only individuals, but entire groups of line members in derogatory ways. Some individuals are made fun of, and others are mocked.

This is all very bad, not only does it reflect bad on SWNYC as a whole, but (at least in my mind) on the individuals who would post such things. A little tact people.

Now, as far as this thread belonging here...well, that cats out of the bag. IF the links to said journals was posted here than the individuals contained in those journals have a right to defend themselves here. It really is just that simple. You cannot, intentionally or not, make fun of someone, post a link to it on a messageboard, and then expect that people on that messageboard won't discuss it. That's just not very realistic.

So, on behalf of the majority of members here I'll get off the soapbox now.

Thanks

9. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I give up......Im not even going to debate this anymore.

Just keep in mind..Lauren is 20 and I am 19...you people are ragging on COLLEGE STUDENTS. No more comments by me on this subject...

10. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    i realized when i did the initial edit on my journal that by leaving it so intact (i only removed a few hundred words), i would probably piss people off. but because i chose to post my journal as much so that people who for whatever reason couldn't participate in the line could understand it, as for curious parties to know what exactly i was writing, i decided to take that risk and post more as opposed to less.

in retrospect, i realize that was probably a stupid decision on my part, and i willingly admit to that. i'm not going to cop out and say that because the overall tone of the line could be very high-school-ish (which i think we can agree that it was), and because i was just observing what i saw, that i can't be held responsible for my comments. i screwed up, and i truly am sorry.

yes, i would have preferred that anyone with concerns about my journal bring them up with me personally. my real personal email address (not some dummy address i'll never check) is posted to every page of the journal. but since this has become a public issue at this point, i'll ask everyone: what would you like me to do?

if the consensus is that i take down my line journal permanently, i'll do it. if you want me to re-edit my entries to make them less potentially offensive, i will. it's not worth it to me to divide a community into which i was gladly (and only recently) welcomed to leave the full edit within public view. i recognize that i've messed up - where should i go from here?

edit - changed, like, three words.

11. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    I think I'm going to throw my two cents in here. All I'm going to say is that we're too small a group for letting too many personal problems become big issues. I know many of our members are younger (late teens, early 20's) and some are older, and that in many maturity comes with age. Sometimes we might post something without fully considering the feelings of everyone involved. The other side of the coin is that if you have a problem with someone, maybe posting it in the message boards isn't the best thing to do. I know I can come across as a real pain in the ass, and if I do let me know by email (and I DO check my email) or better yet, take me aside during a club event and let me know in person. Sometimes there are good reasons for what we do.

That being said, what's done is done now and can't be undone. But for the future, we should all be considerate of other members of the group, and think about what we're going to post on the internet for everyone to see; both here and on a private web page we're going to be handing out the address to. If there is a concern, maybe you might want to ask parties that could be effected and see if they're OK with it. Some people might be sensative about an issue, other's might be more laid back and not care. The last thing this group needs, with so few members, is to start fracturing apart because of personal issues. I know I have some issues with other people, but I'm dealing with it either privately, or they're not that important to me to make a statement over. I guess what I'm coming down to is, that the best course is to treat others the way you'd expect to be treated. I usually find it's the best policy.

Now, peace out, and be good to eachother.

Mike C.

12. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    if the consensus is that i take down my line journal permanently, i'll do it

I think it should stay up..... Edited? I have no problem with what was said. If the word 'Willow' bothers Will and everyone else that much..then maybe the "ow" should be removed to make everyone happy.

And yes, comments should be made to Lauren personally, as with my line journal people made comments to me personally, and i edited it.

13. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    okay, i took everything down and replaced it with a placeholder page for the time being. if people are okay with my posting a revised version sometime in the future, that's the route i'd prefer to take.

let me know.

sorry again.

14. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I must have been the only person who didnt know what Willow was....

Damn me living in my bubble and not watching movies or tv

15. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    [Nelson]Ha-ha![/Nelson]

16. cybergosh

cybergosh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    I'm not trying to make light of anything as i have no idea what any of this is referring to, but....i see being called "WILLOW" as a compliment! I mean, Warwick Davis might be my favorite person on the planet! Just my 2 cents....

17. Grand_Admiral_Cully

Grand_Admiral_Cully Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I read the journal. I can't understand why anyone would have thier feelings hurt by a Diary of events, and how one person percieved them. Secondly, why if there are true feelings on thier would you want to protect anyone? We were all there, we all did silly stuff. I do not think your journal was that eye opening. Everyone just needs to stop being a Washwoman.

18. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I must have been the only person who didnt know what Willow was....

I came up with at least three possible definitions... :)

20. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    lol that you did...haha

21. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Awww, man I wanted to read the journal :)

Hey a journal is a journal and the moment it is edited so that it does not convey complete personal feelings then it is not a journal, it turns into...something else.

By the way I had to do the line journal as an assignment and my teacher(Star Wars Fan) ate it up and gave me an A :)

22. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    well i for one would like to read the journal unedited...not that i want to c how ppl were mad fun of or anything like that i just want to c how the line was seen in the eyes of another person......
    james

23. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    I think since all parties involved will be at the meeting Saturday, it would be best to talk about this and put it to rest once and for all.

I have views and things to say that don't need to be posted for anyone wandering in to see and I am sure other parties feel the same way. Perhaps we can set 20 minutes aside and talk it out. SWNYC is strong and made up of good people. I firmly believe we can all discuss this and find an amicable solution. :)

24. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    sounds good, LS. like i said, i have no problem publicizing the opinions that i already posted, but having already pissed some people off, i'll do whatever's necessary to have at least some of it posted. :)

edit: phrasing, blah blah blah.

25. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.