main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lion Sleeps Tonight (JA): *New post by HaiGan*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Feb 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  2. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Here's a post that Mouse has written. She asked me to post it as she won't be around until perhaps Monday morning :)

4 days before departure

?Hey S-B whatcha? doing?? Rela asked from the doorway of Obi-Wan?s room.

?Thermodynamics final. You wouldn?t...? Obi-Wan pause a moment and he rethought what he was saying. ?Nevermind, you probably know this stuff better than I do.?

?Nice recovery.? Rela teased him. ?Here I want you to taste this.? she told him as she held out a spoon full of something pink.

Obi-Wan, never being one to turn down something to eat, tasted the pink concoction.

?Not bad. What is it?? he asked as he went back to studying his flimsyplast.
    ?I don?t know? I found it in the Healers.? she told him.

Obi-Wan whipped his head around and started at Rela in disbelief. The next thing Rela knew he flew by her and raced to the ?fresher. She slowly followed him as laughter began to bubble up inside her. Once she reached the ?fresher, Rela leaned up against the doorframe and watched Obi-Wan proceed to try and spit out what he had just eaten.

?Obi-Wan relax. It?s only yogurt.? she informed him as she took a bite herself.
    He turned to glare at her. ?That wasn?t funny.?
    ?Yes it was. I didn?t think you could run that fast.? she laughed.
    ?Why don?t you go try it on someone else? Someone who deserves it. Like Cates.?
    ?Who do you think I tested it on in the first place??
    Obi-Wan started chuckling. ?How did he react??
    ?Same way you did, but he stormed off after I told him it was a joke.? Rela said with a shrug.

Obi-Wan just cocked an eyebrow at her, and Rela answered by cocking one of her own. Than a thought suddenly struck him.

?Waitaminute! What are you doing eating anyway? You never eat.?
    ?You know that?s exactly what Frizzy said right before I had him buy me an order of Corellian gumbo. You should have seen the shocked look on his face, but I know I never eat, food is only wasted on me.?

Obi-Wan wasn?t sure if he had really heard what he thought she had said. If he was he had, Obi-Wan knew there was more to it then Rela was letting on. He thought it best at this point to change the subject.

?So you?ve already been to the Healers today??

Rela only gave him a look and quickly changed the subject again.

?Where?s Jemmy?? she asked.
    ?I?ll take that as a yes, and I don?t rightly know.?
    ?That?s funny. I thought you two were inseparable.?
    ?Not lately.? he said with a hint of sadness.

?Obi-Wan,? Rela started gently. ?When something like that happens, it either tears you apart or brings you closer. Just be patient and be there for her. You two belong together.?
    ?Thanks Rela, you are a really good friend. To both of us.?
    ?Hey, it?s the least I could do for my brother.? she teased him as she gave him a quick hug. ?Now let?s change the subject again. Where?s this thermodynamics final you have??

Obi-Wan groaned.

?Not that.?
    ?I?ll help. I?m really good at that type of stuff.?

Obi-Wan just looked at her skeptically, but finally relented.

?It?s in here.? he said pointing to his room. ?I need to get it finished soon. If I don?t I can?t go on the Master and Padawan retreat this year.?
    ?Oh.? was all Rela replied knowing that she wouldn?t be going. That meant the Temple would be fairly empty, and knowing Qui-Gon, Jemmy would be going too. Oh well, she could do with some extra hours at the cantina.

Obi-Wan sat down and Rela peered over his shoulder at the flimsyplast. It only had one question, and Rela recognized it immediately. It read:

?Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with proof.?

?Hey, I had this same final! Let?s see what you?ve got.? Rela said cheerfully.

Rela looked down at what Obi-Wan had written. He had written down Boyle?s law, which read; gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it?s compressed. Rela just gave Obi-Wan a look. He just shrugged back sheepishly.

?I had planned to work around it, but could never get all my thoughts toget

3. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Great post Mouse! This is really intriguing!

Just what is wrong with Rela? And that meeting at the end just raises more questions!

Will she be joining them on the retreat?

4. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    LOL! What a great answer from Rela! I wonder what sort of mark Obi's going to get?!!

?Why did I do that? What in the galaxy ever possessed me to go there?? she wondered aloud. ?She has never done anything but bring me heartache.?

We all want to know; who's been upsetting Rela?!?!?

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, those last two posts really ran me through a gamut of emotions.

Jane, couldn't help but cry for poor Quilibet predicament. At least with Master Nektanebos' death she was familiar with Master Radjedef but now to have a stranger pushed upon her...I only hope the future brings some peace and happiness for the poor girl. Fabulous post!

Mouse, you changed my tears of saddness into hysterical tears. That trick with the yogurt was hilarious. And where the hell (pun intended heh, heh) did you come up with that final essay???

Great job everyone. This is a fabulous thread!

6. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I think I've seen that essay before, actually. A sort of academic urban myth, but none the worse for the retelling. :)

To echo earlier comments as well: what /is/ wrong with Rela??

7. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    The yogurt bit, isn't that a scene from Real Genius? I love that movie.

8. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Great post Mouse!! (Just thought I'd put that so you can read it on Monday). Rela's yougurt trick and the essay were extremely entertaining.

9. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    I echo what everyone else is saying. Obi's weakness is his stomach and Rela really made the most of that, LOL!!!

Four days before departure

"?Then she called off. It's not her fault; of course it's not. Even so, I can't help but wonder when the force is going to give the pair of us a break."

Qui-Gon sat back in his chair and let the soft synthi-leather mould itself round the shape of his body. He was almost tempted right here and now to cry enough and admit defeat where Leona was concerned?but disturbingly found that he didn't want to give up the object of his despairing affections. She was important to him and had become increasingly so over the past year. Did he really want to abandon her? Just because of one tiny little setback?

OK. Series of setbacks.

"She doesn't like this anymore than you do, Qui." Dex remarked. "But she is a healer. You can't expect her to just throw it all away just because you?"
    "I know, I know. She's trained to be a healer. It's what she does."
    "And does it well." Grinned Berlingside, his cheeks dimpling slightly. "I wouldn't mind her looking after me if I was ever in need of medical attention. Huh?"

Qui-Gon stared across at his friend and shook his head at the impudent wink that accompanied Dex's last remark.

"You should be so lucky. Or should that be unlucky?" He muttered. "In all the days we've been friends you've never appeared to have an illness of any sort. Not once! Not even your common or garden sniffle!"
    "I'm a fantastic physical specimen." Dex conceded. "At least I've never had any complaints!"
    "Rogue." Qui-Gon said with reluctant admiration.

"You don't seem to be doing too badly." Dex tried to tidy himself up by looking in the reflection off his beer glass. "When Leona appears, that is. I'll bet you're looking forward to this trip! He he!"
    "I'm sure Krelo is also looking forward to the trip. It's disgraceful. You're over twice her age!"
    "But I'm in good shape." Berlingside protested. "I mean, look at me. Go on!"
    "And what precisely am I supposed to be looking for?"
    "What do you see when you see this face?" Dex pointed at his handsome features. "Tell me."

Jinn seemed to ponder the question for a moment, looking at Dex from every angle.

"I see a man who is in his early fifties and thinks he's eighteen." He replied flatly.
    "Wrong!" Dex crowed. "You see a man who is in his early fifties but actually looks as if he's in his mid to late thirties and I'll tell you why."
    "Oh, this I have to hear." Qui-Gon snickered.

Dex tapped the crown of his head.

"I've made sure I've never grown up. Don't bother doing it, Qui. It'll just give you grey hairs?Oh, sorry. Too late!" he tittered as he ran his eyes over Qui-Gon's long brown hair, now shot through with strands of noticeable grey. "If you have a young outlook on life you WILL be young. Do I look my actual age?"
    "Well, no." Qui-Gon admitted.
    "There, you see! I'm as attractive as ever whilst people like Master Billiard Ball look six times as old as they really are."
    "That's what being on the council does for you." Jinn sighed. "It's given Mace real delusions of adequacy."

Dex snapped his fingers together in remembrance.

"Whilst we're on the subject of follicley challenged one, Quillan's off the trip so Master Baldy has been slated to fill in and look after his padawan. Not to mention a few other padawans who are missing masters."
    "Mace!" Jinn exploded with laughter. "But he hates excursions!"
    "He hates padawans too, in general." Dex agreed. "A wonderful combination to have on an outing such as this. Between you and me, I wouldn't be surprised if Yoda fixed it so that he'd have to go."
    "I hope he's remembered to pack his insect repellent." Jinn said somewhat maliciously. "There won't be much chance of any fun with him going on the trip. I hope the padawans realize this."
    "Nevermind the padawans, I don't want him cramping my style." Dex laughed. "You can keep him well away from me!"
    "I don't want him with me, either! Perhaps if we bribe Vernice she can keep him out of our

10. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Hopefully Leona can convince her! Great post Jemmiah, quite sad though. Hopefully this trip will lighten everyone's spirits, well... eventually.

11. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Four days before Departure:

Krelo was looking for Jemmiah. And she wasn't having any success. Lilith had managed to get messages to the knight no matter where in the galaxy she had been sent on her missions, and every message had been about the same:

Hi, how are you? I'm fine. How's Jemmiah? Mick says 'hi'. How's Jemmiah? We just had a great run, but the docking fees are killing us, and how's Jemmiah?

How was Jemmiah?

She didn't know. Krelo hadn't been to the Temple in nearly a year. Now that she was back she was certainly going to do what she could to find out. Mostly because, sure enough, when she'd arrived, tired and worn out, dumped her bags in the bottom of her closet and flopped bonelessly onto her bed, there had been a little green light on her console, blinking cheerfully away in the darkness of the unlit room, alerting her to waiting messages. From Lilith.

"When you get back, have slept the clock around and are in a decent mood," the amused sounding alto voice had said, "check in on that girl and let me know what's up. Is she still hanging out with that apprentice of Jinn's? If not, I know a few choice specimens of male beauty who wouldn't mind hooking up with a gorgeous, intelligent creature like her. Give me a call on the comm when you get the chance. Clear skies."

It was like Lilith not to identify herself or who she was calling. Just another one of those little personality quirks that drove Krelo up the wall.

//By the Force, I wish I knew how she found out I was on my way back! I didn't even know until three days ago.//

Demodae could find out every detail of her movements while on missions, but couldn't find out how Jemmiah was doing? The galaxy was indeed a strange place.

And it didn't seem to hold Jemmiah anymore.

Evla was sick, but Jemmiah wasn't there. She wasn't at Jinn's place, Windu's, Quin's, or even the Hell's Chance cantina. In fact, she hadn't been seen there for several weeks.

//The galaxy is out to get me, that's what it is. It's hiding her from me so that Lilith can dispense one of her infamous tongue lashings. I can just hear what she'll say: 'I'd think that a well-trained Jedi Knight like yourself would be able to find one young, fun-loving, Corellian girl living in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.'//

The knight finally gave up and just left messages for Jemmiah to contact her everywhere she could think of, in hopes that the girl would go to one of those places in the near future.

Then she went looking for a little relaxation. After all, no one had said that she had to wait until they reached Tildas to start her vacation.

//I sure hope Dexie's not busy tonight. I know a turbo lift that gets stuck really easy, but unsticking it is a bit harder.//

12. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    LOL! Excellent post Lilith.

I wonder how Lilith manages to find Krelo?

13. Morpheus mercenary

Morpheus mercenary Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2000
    awww.man this is good......

14. EMPRESS

EMPRESS Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 10, 2000
    wow. awesome story, guys!

15. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Excellent additions Jemmiah and Lilith! Hmmm, how DOES Lilith find Krelo like that??

Sorry, I have to make this short,I've got a plane to catch. Hopefully I'll have 'net access while I'm gone so I can post now and again.

Keep up the great work!

Later!! :)

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Jemmiah, I loved the way Qui-Gon and Dex tried to devise ways to avoid Master Baldy and a wonderful thought of having Jemmiah give the baby a name.

'Demodae could find out every detail of her movements while on missions, but couldn't find out how Jemmiah was doing? The galaxy was indeed a strange place.'

Strange indeed. The way Krelo lamented getting a tongue lashing from her friend had me chuckling. I'm glad to see that the young knight decided not to spend all her time searching for Jemmy...turbolifts indeed heh, heh!

17. Wampasmak

Wampasmak Jedi Master star 3

Apr 6, 2000
    Four days prior to departure:

Oddly enough, it was at Far Biwo's request that Maye walked through the level 34 west entrance to the Jedi Temple. He'd asked her to talk to Garos. The master had declined to elaborate, and her guesses at the meaning ranged from mundane to odd.

Nevertheless, here she was, ignoring the occasional glance as she navigated the halls in the general direction of Biwo's quarters. It made sense. Even now, months after she'd begun dating Garos Hmiol, she was something of a question mark to the denizens of the temple. Often seen but seldom heard, most knew her face but few had a name to put with it.

She admired the artisanship on the very corridors she walked. The polished stone and marble looked at once ancient and new, cozy and yet expansive. Maye didn't know quite how this illusion was achieved, but it did its job.

Finally, she reached Far's apartment, hitting the call button. Far answered with an expectant but unstressed expression covering his face, as if he'd been waiting for her but hadn't been terribly concerned with whether she'd arrive or not.

"So? What's Garos doing now?"

Far shrugged lightly. "He's been predicting doom and gloom ever since I told him we were listed for the trip to Tildas-"

"Tildas?" She interrupted.

"Yes, several of the knights and their padawans are going, us included. It's a wonderful opportunity, but Garos is convinced that it will end in misery. I think he just took the whole cantina crawl too seriously, and dead set his mind against anymore Master/Padawan outings. Not that recent ones have done much to discourage him...but anyway, would you try talking to him? Garos listens to you...I think."

Maye Kline had grown to understand that words had little effect on Garos Hmiol, actions did much more to motivate him. But she'd still give it a try.

She caught up with him on an observation balcony several levels up. He was bent over what looked like a scrap of old paper and an actual pen. What he was writing, she couldn't guess, but Maye snatched it away for a closer look.

"'In the event of my death or disappearance, I Garos Hmiol-' Garos, please, you are not telling me this is a will?!"

"Let me guess-" He said drily, drifting toward her, "My master sent you to talk me into going on the Tildas trip...right so far?"

"Yes..."

"Let me tell you something- They're cursed! I don't know the exact details, but every single one has gone down the drain."

And then he preceded to recount the tragic tales of several temple outings, ending with an unfortunate zoo trip. It was almost enough to convince her.

"I see your point," Maye said, glancing at the document in her hand, "But don't you think this is overreacting a little?"

He shook his head vigorously. After several minutes of debating, however, she was able to get his grudging agreement to go.

"Okay." She said as a slight grin appeared, "That's settled then. Now let's see what I get!" Her eyes scanned the paper until laying to rest upon her name.

"Awww, you left me your lightsaber..." she pinched him lightly, "And your..." her playful expression melted to disgust.

"I don't want THAT!"

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    UP!!!!!!!

19. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Your what?!?!? What didn't she want to be left? So Garos feels that disaster is impending...maybe they should have listened to him for once!

20. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Poor Garos. Not that it's difficult to correctly predict impending disaster. Something /always/ goes wrong. I think it's known as 'Plot'. ;-)

21. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    I agree, perhaps they should listen to him!

Excellent post Wampasmak! Definitely a little foreboding.

22. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Four days before departure, late morning.

Mace Windu?s footsteps slowed gradually as he approached the room Healer Xadaani had pointed him towards. The door stood invitingly open, voices drifting out into the corridor.

?... removed all the weeds from the front lawn and replanted the southern border as you?d planned.? a young voice said. ?I?ve taken some holos to show you, plus a few extra of different parts of the garden. I thought you might like them while you?re in here.?

?Hmm, yes you seem to be coping well.? The authoritarian voice of the older Jedi held a note of approval. ?Has Knight B?sh-ala finished draining and clearing the water garden??

?Yes Master.?

?And the hothouse plants; how are they doing?? Concern could be heard creeping into the Jedi?s voice.

?I?ve been feeding them with your mixture and making sure the sprinkler system is working properly. One of the holos shows... there, that one.?

Taking a deep breath, Mace stepped tentively inside and paused at the doorway as two heads swivelled his way. The brown eyes of Padawan Olrin Taliss were quickly lowered towards the ground in respect for the council member, however the grey eyes of Master Veren Quillan seemed to grow larger as his white, bushy eyebrows climbed towards the ceiling, the holos forgotten.

?You!? He spluttered. ?Well, I don?t know why you?ve decided to show you?re sorry face in here, but you can just turn around and take yourself off to annoy someone else. As you can see, I?m not one with the force yet, although if I?d known you were coming visiting I might have changed my mind.?

?Master...? Olrin tried to speak, but Veren flapped a hand up and down in his general direction to tell him to keep quiet. Mace took the opportunity to gather himself, putting on his council face and taking a few more steps into the room. He stopped before the prone master.

?I have been requested by the council to inform you...? Mace began. It was met with a ?Pah!? but he continued on resolutely. ?...of their decision regarding the trip to Tildas. An-Paj has confirmed to us you will not be able to take part due to your current circumstances.? Out of the corner of his eye he could see Olrin?s posture slump slightly on hearing the news. ?We have however agreed it would be beneficial to your padawan to remain as one of those attending.?

Olrin?s head shot up, an enormous smile splitting his face in two. He tried in vain to subdue his feelings and on failing miserably settled for staring at the floor again.

Master Quillan was astounded. ?My padawan going on a trip without me? How could the council sanction such a thing?? He said indignantly. ?He?s far too young to be by himself on one of these trips. They must be as mad as you.?

Ignoring the last remark, Mace gritted his teeth and endeavoured to answer the question. ?There are a number of padawans who will be without their masters on Tildas. It has been agreed that a council member will be responsible for their lessons and well being.?

Master Quillan?s lips thinned as he appraised the younger man before him, ignoring Olrin hovering at his elbow. ?It?s you isn?t it! The force is having a joke at my expense.? He shook his head vigorously. ?There?s not the slightest chance I?m letting my boy go away with you! After all the damage you?ve done to my garden, you expect me to trust you with the most important charge I have?? His voice started to climb as he pushed himself up onto his elbow and then into a sitting position. Mace looked slightly startled. Olrin didn?t hesitate and flew out of the room looking for a healer. In his agitated state Master Quillan didn?t even notice he?d disappeared.

?I don?t care what you say, there is not a chance I?m agreeing to this charade? he spluttered vehemently. ?As soon as I?m out of here I?m going straight to the council and getting them to reverse this ridiculous decision.?

He hauled himself onto his feet until he was nose to nose with Master Windu. It took all of Mace?s control not to wither unde

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Wampasmak, that was great, only will we ever find out exactly what Garos bequeathed Maye???? Figures it'd be Garos who'd have the 'bad feeling' about this excursion.

Calamity, the way Master Quillan could reduce our shiny-headed Council member to a withering plant was hilarious! Boy, Mace is going to be on his toes now! Ha!!!

I'm loving every post!!!

24. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Eight days before departure, morning.

"Padawan Lyr??

The transition from sleep to wakefulness was too abrupt, too jarring, and when Quilibet opened her eyes, she had no idea where she was or what was happening. Stupidly, she blinked up at the mahogany-haired woman bending over her and blurted out,?Who are you??

"I?m Romedon Tenax,?the woman smiled.

"Oh.?Sitting up, Quilibet frowned as she remembered how Leona had helped her pack her things last night and had given her one last hug before stepping back and surrendering her to that woman--her new master.

"Do you prefer to be called Quilibet or Quil??

Quilibet shrugged, refusing to meet the woman?s eyes. Actually, Master Nektanebos had always called her Quil, and Master Radjedef had had several nicknames for her, including Quils, Quilly and sometimes even Quilibetty. But Master Tenax didn?t need to know that.

"I?m going to meditate in the living room this morning. Would you like to join me? I?d be glad to help you release some of your grief into the Force.?

Instinctively, Quilibet shook her head. Meditate? Why should she want to feel the Force at all, when it had obviously been the will of the Force that Master Rad was dead now? As soon as she?d formed the thought, though, she thrust it away, ashamed of being so petty. That wasn?t how either of her Camaasi masters had brought her up. No, she realised, she really did need to meditate. She just didn?t want to do it with that stranger.

Master Tenax nodded and patted her shoulder a few times, causing Quilibet to grit her teeth, then left the room. Relieved to be left alone, Quilibet leaned back against the wall at the head of her bed, unconsciously wrapping her Padawan braid around her hand and hugging it close to her chest. The simple task of standing up and getting dressed suddenly seemed too much for her, and it took several minutes before she felt capable of moving off the bed. Once she?d managed to listlessly pull her clothes on, she knelt down and shut her eyes, instantly feeling the temptation to simply drift off to sleep again, or at least into a daydreaming doze. It took an inordinate amount of time and a great effort for her to focus her thoughts enough to be able to reach out for the Force at all.

Her fragile concentration was interrupted at that crucial point by a soft knock on the door.?Quilibet??

Go away, Quilibet wanted to scream, feeling a flash of anger, real anger, not just annoyance, at the intrusion.

"Breakfast is ready.?

Quilibet stood up grudgingly and walked into the living area, where Master Tenax was sitting at the table peeling a kalona fruit. There was another kalona fruit on the plate across from her. Quickly scanning the table for anything else that was edible and coming up empty, Quilibet regarded it with a sinking feeling of disbelief.

"Please sit down.?Why, why, -why- did that woman?s voice have to be so beautifully melodious?

Quilibet remained where she was.?May I eat at the cafeteria this morning, Master Tenax??

"Why??

"Because I really ha--don?t like kalona fruit,?Quilibet reported.

"Oh, I?m sorry, I had no idea. I thought this would be a special treat for you--they?re not overripe, but they?re so juicy.?Catching Quilibet?s slight grimace of disgust, Master Tenax added,?Yes, all right, you may eat in the cafeteria. Please come back when you?re finished, though.?

"Thank you, Master Tenax,?Quilibet replied in a flat, automatic tone of voice, and turned towards the door.

I hate kalona fruit, she muttered to herself on the way to the cafeteria, feeling even more wounded than the day before. Did that woman really have to add insult to injury? I hate kalona fruit, I really hate it. If she were my master, my -real- master, she?d know that sort of thing. But she?s not, and I don?t want her to be, I want Master Rad back. Why did he have to die? Why did he have to die in such a stupid way? Pricking his finger on a thorn! He could have died with his boots on and a light saber in his hand, he could have had a glori

25. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Aww, Jane, you've got me sniffling now. I do hope Quilibet manages to find some way of connecting with her new master- or at least someone who understands how to help her get over her grief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.