main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lit Forum Social Thread: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, digging through my post history, I think my earliest posts have been pruned long ago, but one of the oldest surviving posts was an ad-for-help kinda post about my fanfilm way back when. My earliest surviving Lit posts don't seem to be my earliest Lit posts, but are pretty close (ie: a post in the SBS non-spoiler thread when I was still reading Balance Point).

I did find this old post on the PT/EU relationship that gave me a chuckle:

I suppose I could also put my own spin on an existing comparison; if Star Wars (as a whole, including EU) was a pizza: The movies would be the crust, sauce and cheese-because almost everyone will agree to having that, it's the basis of everything else. The EU is like Pepporoni- because while many like it, as it spices up the existing foundation, there are also many people who don't like the taste of it and simply pick it off without harming their enjoyment of the crust, sauce and cheese.

And Jar Jar is a lone anchovi...

Also something i find of interest is the thread/post that led to the genesis of the idea for my EU TV Show Layout project. Neat :)

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's a pretty neat comparison there Quest, 'specially with the Jar-Jar anchovis.

So... nugget time eh? Had we finished with the pics and getting-here stories, then? [face_thinking].

How long do posts stay up, anyway? Seven years?

I'm now leafing through the oldest Superwatto posts I could find, in the EpII countdown thread. Man, that was another time. I only visited from work, because I was still on dial-up at home. But... So did everyone else! It's all "mornin'" and "have a good weekend". To people I can't remember for the life of me. :p

I was off the boards for almost a year but had to come back in May '02 for this:

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Here's my first post:

I'm new to these forums...been reading Star Wars for a long time and never had anyone to talk to about it so I was very excited when I found this (yeah...I'm a little slow moving into the 21st century). I found this thread interesting and also find it odd that people are cheering for Luke's death. What makes you think that Jacen can kill him after years and years of surviving impossible odds against enemies? I understand that Jacen is going to be more powerful than Luke and Luke being blinded by what he doesn't want to believe will cause a handicap, but I've always thought that a reoccuring theme in SW was that power isn't everything and quite frankly never wins.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Wow... uh, wow. I feel old. :_|

I first watched Star Wars in the theater during the original having just turned five. (I still remember two kids re-enacting the "Obi-Wan/Vader" fight in the playground). For some reason I originally thought that Yavin 4 was Earth (possibly because of the Mayan pyramids...[face_laugh] ) I watched the one broadcast of the Holiday Special and in its defense, considering the context of the time it was Star Wars + "standard tv fare for the late 70s". And with ESB, ROTJ and the Indiana Jones movies... let's just say it was good to be a kid in the early 80s!
    My history with the EU was a lot rockier. My older cousin was (and is) a huge SW fan, and was reading the Solo novels. When he described that Han and Chewie essentially leave the setting of Star Wars and go adventure somewhere else, I turned my nose at them. I hopped on board the Marvel train right as they began the epic Shira Brie story line and hopped back off when Lando fell off Cloud City and landed on the surface of Bespin.
    I generally ignored the EU through the slow decay of the franchise throughout the late 80s... Ewok specials, the Droids cartoon. And more Ewoks. I wanted to see the Star Wars galaxy and they kept throwing walking teddy bears at me. So, I quietly moved onwards.
    With the Thrawn trilogy, fandom interest in Star Wars started to rise again; and (as an avid roleplayer) I flipped through WEG's sourcebooks which seemed well-written. (Dark Empire seemed like a retread of the movies with abstract art). However, I hated the thought of investing any sort of interest in auxiliary materials if they "didn't matter", so to speak (i.e. like anything Star Trek related). On the other hand, LucasArts was in its prime and I would play anything they'd make - even breaking my taboo against any sort of "flight sim" to play X-Wing. My older cousin came over for a visit again in the mid-90s, though, and brought the first three X-Wing novels. I was impressed with Stackpole's writing, and the audacity to write a series where the movie heroes were secondary characters and vice-versa.
    But what sold the EU to me? The new Han Solo trilogy. Not only did it cause me to reappraise - and appreciate on its own merits - the original series, but the novels were just thoroughly enjoyable. Crispin's pre-Yavin timeline - coupled with Stackpole's capital ships caused me to start cataloguing an OOB and timeline on my own (adding planets,etc.), which eventually led me to TFN (via Timetales and the SW Encyclopedia onsite). It helped that the Essential Guides were being published around then as well.

So yeah, in conclusion... please tell me that someone else here watched the original movies in the theaters the first time around? [face_praying]

5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Thankfully my first post under the original name was eaten a long time ago.

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Post the furthest back one that you can find?

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You're pushing it woman. :p

Here, an interesting old thread

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

You are not alone, though I was a bit to young to watch Star Wars in 1977. I first watched it in 1979, then at age 5, and watched Empire in its first go in 1980. Then the double feature a couple more times before Jedi came out.

I actually really enjoyed the Ewok Films, particularly Battle for Endor when it first played on TV in North America. I really always wanted to know what happened to Noah and Cindel after they left Endor, and enjoyed Allson's recent reference to them in Fury. Thus I also think Tarfang rocks!:D

I got into the EU fairly early on but don't really have specific years I can remember. I know I read Splinter of the Minds Eye at some point in the early 80's, but also recall Lando and the Mind Harp of Sharu in that time frame as well. I still feel Splinter is a cool book to this day, under appreciated in my humble opinion.:cool:. This book should be a candidate for the awesome Retro-Review idea thats starting up.[face_money_eyes]

I'm also a fairly serious Star Wars toy collector, but not a completist. I probably have maybe 400 of the figures produced since 1978, maybe 500 at this point. I lost count a long while back and have stopped purchasing new molds of Luke and the gang. I love the increased Hasbro focus on the EU and have been gobbling those figures up as quick as I can.]-}

My favorite EU book is Heir to the Empire, with Thrawn being my favorite villian ever, Vader and Palpatine included[face_whistling]. For me the books have as much life as the movies and have been a big part of my existence:-B since 1991. I only got my own computer just last year, right before my start up date here.(Yes, difficult as it is to believe some people simply do not have computers.) I have loved the oppurtunity to chat about Star Wars with people who care about it as much as I do, and finding out how much I didn't know. :eek:

Lastly I got to meet Dave Prowse last year at the Manitoba ComicCon and it was a huge thrill for me. He was a great guest and his presentations about Star Wars and his career in film were a lot of fun. He's actually quite charismatic and funny.
    This year Jeremy Bulloch is coming to town this year and I can't wait to hear his opinion on the state of the Mandalorian peopleo_O.

Anyway I'm done for now, peace, love, rock'n'roll amd may the Force be with you all!

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Sorry, born after episodes IV and V. My parents tell me I saw episode VI with them in the theaters, but I have no memory of this, since I was only two years old at the time.

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    *raises hand*

Yep! I saw all three in the theater the weeks they were released. Funny fact: rhonderoo and I were in the same theater for the release of ROTJ 19 years before we met each other, lol.

11. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    *raises hand*

12. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Trace, was that in Memphis? Cuz' if it was the first showing at the Highland Quartet, I was there, too ? first row, dead center. (An over-rated seat, I found -- hard to watch!)

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, I feel a little better now... :D

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I wasn't even born... :p

15. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Nor was I. Late bloomers, us... :p

- Keralys

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    :eek:

Yes! At the Highland Quartet! That's awesome. :D [face_laugh]

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    When I went to see the rereleases of the OT in theaters, I sat in the front row. There were six of us about the same age all lined up in the front row and our heads were going from left to right in sync. It cracked us all up.

18. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Hi, I'm canadianjedimama and I'm a Star Wars fan...:p

My introduction to Star Wars came from a lovely young lady named Kim Barry. She was my babysitter when I was 6 (which was 1984). We had just purchased a VHS and she brought over a tape and she asked my mom if it was okay that we watched Star Wars together. Mom said "Sure thing, I love that movie." [face_love] And I love my mom.

I was hooked.

The following Friday, she brought Empire Strikes Back. Needless to say, I was the one who started up the Star Wars game at recess. It helps that it was winter, it made being on Hoth more believable. I, of course, had the starring role as Princess Leia.

Fast forward nine years. It's now 1993 and a boyfriend says "I snuck this out of my sister's book collection because I knew you liked Star Wars." It was Heir To The Empire. And I was hooked again.

I went to every bookstore I could find looking for more of this thing called the EU. I have most of the novel's, my statutory copy of Union as a L/M fan, Dark Empire 1 &2, and the first copy of Droids. My husband thinks I have serious issues.:rolleyes: I say the boy needs a hobby.

I found TFN while I was googling Jag/Jaina fic. I had finished DNT feeling very...upset. So what better way to get my J/J ship fix than fanfic. I'd been away from fanfic for awhile (I didn't know that fanfix had closed down) so when I googled the ship imagine my surprise when something called the archives at TFN popped up.

I was in lurve.[face_love]

I lurked forever...literally. I just recently came out of the users closet. And I'm loving it. Especially here on Lit, where I can participate with like minded people in honest-to-goodness Star Wars chat. And have no one look at me weird!

My husband calls it chattin' with the geeks. I tell him at least I have a hobby!

CJM

19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    But who's the more geeky? The geek or the geek who married her.[face_grin] Just tell him to go watch the NHL playoffs and be happy he's allowed to use the television.[:D]

20. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Amazing! It WAS a packed room, I guess... it was the last day of my freshman year in high school, and they'd let us out at noon. One way to know if it was the same showing -- do you recall that when the climax of the movie came with Darth making his decision, that everyone in the theater spontaneously stood up, cheering for him to make a decision? I have never seen that in a movie, before or after.

What makes ME feel old is realizing the theaters where I saw the first three movies are all gone. The Whitehaven General Cinema Twin, the Park, and the Hghland Quartet. Sigh!

21. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Ummm...I would, but he was raised in a house where they didn't watch hockey.

:eek: Yes, I'm dead serious.

Me, my house, it was Hockey Night In Canada every Saturday night. I'm pulling hard for my beloved Habitants to make it to the Cup this year.

:rolleyes: And yes, I know that it's blasted unlikely with The Penguins having their bloody skates on fire lately, but I can dream right?

Anyways, back to SW. I've recently started to let my daughter watch the movies. And I bought her a Darth Vader T-shirt when we were last at Disney.

She's only three, but already I'm leading her down the path of geekiness...[face_laugh]

22. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    My baby girl, now five, went out as a Jedi Knight on Halloween at age two and a half. My wife thinks I've stolen her because she doesn't want to dress up like a Princess or a Strawberry Shortcake:p. Ha! I say. She went out as Grimlock the Transformer last Halloween.:) My wife may be onto something.

No hockey? Isn't that against the Canadian Criminal Code or something :p

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    YES! That's how Rhonda and I knew we were at the same showing. [face_laugh]

I had my eyes covered while Luke was getting fried and my little brother punched me in the arm to tell me to look up. I missed Vader picking up the Emperor because everyone was on their feet cheering and I couldn't see the screen. My youngest brother had to stand in his seat to even see the end of the movie.

That is too funny, John! [face_laugh] And yeah, I've never seen that happen again, either. I tell people that story and they don't believe me, lol.

('course, what would be really funny would be if Nicki was there, too.)

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I was just too young to seen ANH in the theatre, first actual Star Wars footage I saw was.........
    The Holiday Special. I was 6 or 7.... I thought it was great.

ROTJ came out in May 1983 in the US, but took a coupla months to reach Europe. That summer, I bumped into a guy who had a pirate copy of the thing. I watched it two month before it premiered, in awful quality.

Then came at least ten years of not expecting any Star Wars films anymore.

Then sixteen years later, guess what? Doing the exact same thing with a pirate TPM copy!

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    'Made' should have been like that. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.