main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lit Forum Social Thread: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I just Googled "fish with blister" and got this

Furunculosis

Symptoms: Fish may present with frayed and inflamed fins, raised bumps underneath the scales which rupture releasing pus, and may also have large bleeding ulcers. There may also be hemorrhages in the internal organs, skin, gills, fins and muscle tissue. Not all symptoms need be present.

Cause: Aeromonas bacterium, which infects a fish via skin parasites or when it ingests feces from infected fishes or feeds on the remains of dead fish.

Treatment: Ensure that your water conditions (e.g., Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Nitrate levels, and water temp.) are within their proper ranges. If not, perform a water change and/or treat the water accordingly. If your fish can handle it, raise the water temperature to 80 degrees or a little higher. Furunculosis is generally a cold-water disease; higher temperatures may help to eradicate the illness. Infected fishes should be isolated because when the lesions rupture, bacteria are dispersed throughout the water, leaving all fish at high risk of infection. Furunculosis can be highly infectious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium they inhabit should be treated. Treatment should include one of the following: Triple Sulfa, Furacyn, Nitrofura-G, E.M. Tablets or Furan-2. The use of medicated food is also prudent. In addition, if parasites are suspected all fish as well as the aquarium they inhabit should be treated with an antiparasitic medication. Adding an appropriate amount of salt to the water may also be helpful.

BTW, that person above had tropical fish.

It could also be Gas Bubble disease from supersaturation, too much nitrogen in the water.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I got similar results from my googling too. I'll see an aquarium store tomorrow, but for now I'm initiating a heavy water change. That should remove existing bacteria.

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Maybe you should ring them and see if you need to take a water sample or your sick fish.

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I changed the water, gave them a good dose of Aquatan to calm them. Syphoned their mess on the pebbles. Bit of dinner to cheer them up. I don't know... I'll see what medicants the storekeeper has in mind. I know a couple of good ones. I've gotten very attached to my fish. Had them over a year! This is unprecedented for me, you have to realise.

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    My fish never lived that long, had too many backyard burials.

I'm off to bed soon, Ex, reason I'm up this late is I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol on youtube.

Was crying in the tiny tim part!

It's actually a sort of haven in here, the JCC is getting rickrolled.

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I went through over 20 fish in a year period several years ago, until last year a work collegue told me the secret elixir to keeping them alive longer than a month or two: DON'T CHANGE ALL THE WATER. And by rhondaroo's love for Vader did it work! I've even given them all names. They've endured long enough for them.

My catfish, recent additions, are called Humble and Modest. They don't actually eat the special catfish food I give them. Not sure how they survive, but they do a lot of pebble sucking. They're supposed to eat the tank algae that builds up. They do somethimes. Cute little things.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Ex, what I love about your posts is how you use language, "rhonderoo's love for Vader".

*yawn* It's late, have to go now I've checked everything.

Polly, no Sithcat says goodbye too.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/12032008078.jpg]

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

It was either that or Guinastasia's love of Face. *shrugs*

That's cruel, locking Polly up like that! No wonder she's sithing in that picture. :p Goodnight, I'll slumber too, once I finish this chapter.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That was taken when we were moving house and she had to stay in her box for a time, so we put her in there to get her used to it.

Ep 1 of Hitchhiker's was on, it was fantastic!

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I didn't understand that movie. Too weird, turned it off midway. Something about the world destroyed for a stellar highway, an oversized Marvin head, american-accented headless president, ugly buearucrating aliens, transdimensional hyperspacing... Goodness me.

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Obviously Ex, I am a hoopy frood who knows where their towel is and you, evidently, are not. :-B

I am disappointed in you. Put the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy on your "to read" list.

The movie was just the latest "fit", it started as a radio series, then a TV show and finally a novel. Movie was in development hell for two decades.

12. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    If you like Doctor Who then you should definitely like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't judge it by the movie, read the book. I think you'll love it.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Adams actually wrote for Doctor Who, I think he did the Romana episodes.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I won't be online again until after Christmas, so I'm dropping in the Christmas wishes early.

Have a Merry Christmas, my friends.

Take care of yourselves, and have a good one.

[:D] (for the girls, and the guys if they want it. :p)

I look forward to hearing from you all later, my friends. [face_peace]

15. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Yep, he wrote "The Pirate Planet" one of my favorite serials from the Key to Time arc. Definitely one of the most fun serials of the whole series.

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Have a good Christmas, Sin, though you might want to whiz over to the senate before you go.

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The Pirate Planet! I know that episode. The captain's ranting was a hoot.

"Your frivolity, Doctor, is appealing to the homicidal side of my nature!"

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    So you going to read Hitchhiker's Ex? With the way Douglas uses language it's right up your alley.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I've got quite a reading list first. Shadowrealm. Emissaries from the Dead. Red Seas Under Red Skies. Cast in Courtlight. The Clone Elite. And loads more. Something like 'hikers is an ambiguous interest for me, but I'll consider it, Kat.

Can't wait for Shadowrealm. Cale is going to kick some villainous butts! I hope he makes it through the end...

He better make it through the end... how hard can saving the world be, when it's all falling apart?

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, yes, read this you must.

Or in the parlance of the novel: &^%$ing read it, you little *&^%$£! :)

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    The world has got a smile today
    The world has got a glow
    There's no such thing as strangers
    When a stranger says "Hello"
    And everyone is family, we're havin' so much fun
    After all there's only one more sleep till Christmas

It's Christmas Eve!

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Yahoo News is reporting George Lucas has okayed a Star Wars Musical.

I repeat, a Star Wars Musical.

Also, I'm reposting Luc Courleciel, 'cause he's awesome, in his Frenchy way.

[image=http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/titans/1-1.jpg]

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I wonder if it will be G-canon...[face_mischief]

24. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Fish? GAH!

Also, that's just bad advertising. It's not really a musical. It is musical, but it's not a musical.

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

We've found Keralys' Kryptonite: fish. How you must have hated the Maanan world in KOTOR, didn't you?

The treatment seems to be working. I noticed the lumps and ulcers fading the next morning. I am very pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.