main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Literary Sketchpad ? The REBORN Vignette Challenge Thread - June challenge now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Vig_Challenge, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Vig_Challenge

The_Vig_Challenge Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2008
    This is slow_dawn welcoming you to...The Literary Sketchpad i.e. The Reborn Vignette Challenge Thread!

This is the reincarnated version of Naberrie Household Vignette Challenge. I really enjoyed this challenge thread and was disappointed when it was no longer tended to. Hopefully we can get this one up and running with more participants than the first version.

For those familiar with the old thread, I hope to make this one a bit more fun than the original by voting on a winner and the end of each challenge period. By choosing a winning fic for each challenge, hopefully we will get some great vignettes the readers they deserve.

Hopefully this thread will be able to bring more readers and awareness to vignettes in general, as it seems to me that once a vignette gets a couple of reviews, it then slips into obscurity on the 47,000th page of the boards. :_|

Finally, I hope the thread will be able to give vignettes a place to shine just as brightly as all the high quality longer stories and epics on the boards!

(There now no more cheesy ranting from me! :p)

VIGNETTE CHALLENGE GENERAL RULES:

1) This is a vignette challenge so keep your fics to a reasonable length (may the Force strike down any author foolish enough to post a fic with 20 scenes 20 pages each? [face_devil] )

2) Each month?s challenge will have a particular set of rules to keep things interesting.

3) Post a link to your story along with a short synopsis in this thread. Post the story itself in the appropriate section (Before, Saga, or Beyond)with VIGNETTE CHALLENGE somewhere in the title.

6) Each challenge will run for a period of three weeks, after which, it will be considered closed. After a challenge is closed, there will be one weeks time in which you can read the submissions and vote for your favorite. Please PM me with your votes, but not before the challenge is closed and not after the voting is closed. (Any story completed after the challenge has been closed can still be submitted and linked to in this thread; however, it will NOT be counted in the voting process.)

7) Besides eternal fame, glory and honor, the winner can put VIGNETTE CHALLENGE WINNER in the title of their vignette, and, The_Vig_Challenge will (tastefully)up his or her fic one time when it drops down to the third or fourth page of the board (that is, if the author PMs me when this occurs). (these prizes are almost too good to be true?I know :p )

If you have any questions or suggestions, post them here and I will be happy to answer them, or, if you would rather PM me then that is fine as well. Also, feel free to PM questions to me at slow_dawn as well.

Note: All challenges will be posted to the first page of the thread for ease of use.

2. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
  3. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
    Current Challenge

June

Submission Deadline: 5 July
    MAIN CHARACTER(s): a minor character from either the movies or the EU

Rules:

1) You must focus your fic on any minor character from the movie or EU.

2) In this vignette, you should have your main character in some way interact with a major character from any of the movies.

3) Include in bold: some form of the words virulent, verdant, and vacant. (I'm feeling very partial to v's today :p)

Note: Any character who isn't one of the major characters we will consider a minor character. PM me if you have questions.

Have fun!

4. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
    Current Challenge Submissions

Earlybird-obi-wan
    Pirate-Adi Gallia has to deal with her former Padawan Siri Tachi after her return from her mission as a pirate.

5. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
  6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm glad to see this thread up and running!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

And a vignette on Anakin...I think my muse will be most willing to cooperate! :D

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Come on, make it a real challenge... a vig with Anakin with no angst w/o it being AU! :p

Seriously though, this sounds fun. I'm in.

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can come up with anything. [face_thinking]

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Angst is all in the eye of the beholder. If you write a mushy story, dramatic irony will have the reader howling in agony.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Glad to see this thread up and running. :D

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    [face_laugh] Somehow I don't think that was the point of the challenge. :p

12. Lightsaber123

Lightsaber123 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm in.
    is the word count 2.5k like in the DARE challenge?

13. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
    Hey guys, glad to see some interest in this thread!

To answer Lightsaber123's question, I haven't put in a maximum word count. That is NOT to say I want you to turn in an absurdly long submission--these are vignettes. I don't want to explicitly limit the length of your vignette, so just stay within reason and there should be no problem. HOWEVER, if there is a general consensus that there should be a word limit, then I could certainly specify one.

About the genres, I didn't want to be too limiting the first round, but I had to put some limit so that we can have a basis of comparison for the voting. Again, comments welcome.

One last thing: What about the length of time to write the vignette? Does anyone see a problem with three weeks writing time, one week voting time? And, more generally, do you guys even want to bother with holding a vote for our favorite vig of the month?

As always please don't hesitate to post your comments/suggestions or PM me.

-The_Vig_Challenge.

14. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Oh! This looks like fun! :D And I think that the guidelines and amount of time (for both writing the viggie and voting) are fine. The only problem there might be is the sinking of this thread and people don't see it to try it out, but that's an easy fix. ;)

We'll have to see if my muse cooperates for me... but I'm definitely excited to see some entries for this. :D

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This looks like fun!! I'll have to try it :D

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Looks like fun and I am writing one already.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have mine finished and it is on the Saga board firefighters

18. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Wow.. fast work! haha. *runs over to The Saga to read it*

I've got mine started... this is exciting. hahaha

19. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
  20. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm working on it! What a great challenge! Hope to have something done soon!

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Ok, I've written my response. :D

Here it is: Goodbye

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
  23. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    All of these responses are looking great! :D Mines done... I'm just waiting to have the beta look over it and then it'll be posted. :)

24. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
  25. The_Vig_Challenge

Mar 9, 2008
    Great work everyone on your vigs! I'm really pleased to see so much response to this thread! Keep it up!

Right so I just thought I would mention that the challenge deadline was 11.59pm on the 29th. We will be using the Pacific Standard Board time for this. I just wanted to clarify, cos it is a bit confusing as I am a day ahead of the boards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.