main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Literature Social Thread... WITH A GUN! (and Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by Rogue_Follower, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    First order of business: finding a more clever thread title. ;)

2. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    It's like Episode III all over again.

3. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    I hereby claim this thread in the name of the Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany.

And Mikhail Kalashnikov, John Moses Browning, John Garand, and Paul Mauser.
    First Gun Picture:

[image=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7956/yugoakwmaggp8.jpg]

All right, Now I have 3 threads to troll. YES

4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I forsee a massive migration from the old Lit board to this one before next weekend hits. Let's pray the transition goes smoothly.

5. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    Yeah, pretty much, I see most of the hardcore lit posters moving over here, and the new forum rapidly oustripping the old one in terms of topics and posts, death of the Lit forum, by the Lit forum.

Proposed new name: "Your Skycrawler is Dead Son, the Lit Forum Social thread"
    "Lit Forum posters... with a gun?, the Lit Forum Social thread"
    "Its just a flesh wound... the Lit Forum Social thread"

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [face_laugh] I second that one!

[:D] to the shiny new thread!

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    DP FTW!

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Uhh..so am I doing something wrong? In order to get back to the main Lit Spoiler page, I'm clicking on the Lit link at the top, but it takes me back to the Non-Spoiler Lit page. Is it supposed to do that?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, you can blame me. I'm sure when setting the board up (I told you guys it takes a while), I screwed up the manual coding for the top-header portion.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hopefully. But remember that this forum is mainly going to be for spoiler-related material---most of the generic EU topics should stay in Lit Regular. We're not trying to destroy the Lit social dynamic.

Also, as you may have noticed, we're currently reusing stylesheets from Lit. If anyone would like to make some new banners, we'd post them. Feel free to make whatever you want, so long as its Lit-related; we'll get more specific about the banners' contents once Sacrifice gets closer. Lit can have its Quin green banner, we can have our Jaxxon green bunny banner. ;)

11. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    So what happens when solicitations are released for comics? Do the previews count as spoilers? Or can they still be posted in the other forum, since it is officially released info?

And will the issue discussions still be stickied over there in the first week of release, or will it all be here now?

As confusing as this all is at the moment, this new forum is making me nostalgic for the prequel spoiler forum days :cool:

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You make me cry.

13. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm posting so I can get my name on the first page :p

Also, while I'm still a little worried about the effect this new forum will have on the Lit community as a whole, I'll go ahead and support it in the spirit of forum love [:D]

:p

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Gun collection still growing, Rohniss? :p

15. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Will see how that sub-board develops, maybe I'll work on a banner - and yes, a Jaxxon one. [face_mischief] [face_peace]

16. Rohniss

May 9, 2005

Heh, yeah

Current List:

Rifles:

2- Mauser Karabiner 98k (1 Russian Capture, 1 with SS markings intact)
    1- Romanian WASR-10 (Ak-47 clone cheap)
    1- Yugoslavian M70 (pictured AK-47 clone, not cheap)
    1- Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 with PU scope (Clone from SOG) {no pictures available)
    1- M1 Garand (1942 by Winchester some parts stamped National match)
    1- Marlin 1895C
    3- .22 Autoloaders (have to dig them outta the safe to check manufacturers)

Shotguns:

1- Remington 1100 (.20ga shotgun "Wingmaster")

Pistols:

1- Colt 1911 (Gold Cup)
    1- Tokarev TT-34 (pictures unavailable)
    1- Glock Model 19
    1- Ruger Security Six
    1- Smith and Wesson Model 60
    1- Smith and Wesson Model 10
    1- Hi-Standard "Sentinel"

Planned Accquisitions:

1- Glock Model 17
    1- Kel-tec P32 (BUG)
    1- Winchester 1897 clone (shotgun 12ga.)
    1- Springfield 1903

Thats the wish list for now

Plus a complete Dillion 550 turrent press setup and several dies (reloading)

about 3500 rounds of 7.62x39 (AK)
    about 1000 rounds of 8x57 (Mausers)
    about 1000 rounds of .30-06 (Garand and '03)
    about 2500 rounds of 9x19 (Glocks)
    about 750 rounds of .45ACP
    about 10000 rounds of .22 LR
    about 750 rounds of .357 Magnum
    about 1250 rounds of .38 special
    about 1000 rounds of 7.62x25 (Tokarev)
    about 500 rounds of 7.62x54R (Mosin)
    about 100 rounds of 12 gauge (various loads)
    about 100 rounds of 20 gauge (various loads)

So, about 20000 rounds of various ammo (loaded)
    and as much brass and powder as I can find.
    Plus replacement parts enough to keep the weapons in the Armory running indefinitely (at least 20 years)

I've still got a LONG way to go before I complete the Rohniss Armory. Thats just planned purchases impulse buys and rare and hard to find firearms my push back timetable further.

17. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    "The Literature Maybe Not So Social Thread... WITH A little bit more than just a single GUN! (and Spoilers!)" indeed... [face_laugh]

No, pretty fancy collection you got there, Roh. I dig the Mosin-Nagant and the Kar98... I love those carbines! :cool: Good luck with the Springfield, too. [face_peace]

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rohniss reminds me of someone... who could it be...

[image=http://www.videodetective.com/photos/526/022129_28.jpg]

19. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Geez Roh! I know we talk about guns all the time in the chat but I don't think I ever knew how many you had. I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Couldn't you change the title to:

"The Literature...oh who are we kidding...the Gun Social Thread."

20. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    Is that Burt from Tremors? YES !

But alas, I don't own a .50 BMG rifle (LAR Grizzly I believe) so I cant shoot out the engine block of the car (on accident) we were planning on using to get away from the Gravoids.

Additions to the Wish List:
    X- More ammo of everything
    1- Pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 "Varmint" .30-06, with McMillan synthetic stock and Simmons 3-9x scope (the Carlos Hathcock rifle)
    1- something that requires an BATFE Form 4 (the tax/permit that allows you to purchase "evil" (full auto, silenced, short barreled, etc.))
    1- something classified as a "destructive device" (the "heavy weapons" <3 anti-tank rifles)
    1- Dragonskin (new type of body armor)
    X- more WWI-WWII-Korea knicknacks and relics, pinups, bayonets, misc equipment. general military stuff of that era.

21. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Note to self: Rohniss is a very unwise person to disagree with... [face_blink] 8-}

22. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    Hey, feel free to disagree. you might even survive it :D

Yeah anyways, getting paid on Friday.. hmm think I'll just buy a case of .30-06 on Enbloc Clips (for the Garand) and a case of 7.62x39, and about 6 more magazines.. maybe some 9mm and mags for the Glock.. slow week :D

23. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Wow, aren't those pretty expensive?

24. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    Sort of, you see, Manufacture of Machineguns (anything that fires more than one bullet with one pull of the trigger) was made illegal in 1986, and those existing previous to then were required to be registered and serialized (if not already). Therefore pre-86 (legal) machineguns are at a premium since there is high demand and a limited supply. Those who own them dont want to sell, so you have to wait for someone to die and their collection be sold off before they reenter distribution channels, this doesn't account for those confiscated or destroyed. So, small supply Large Demand, high cost. For example a "Sten Gun" was mass produced in WWII and cost less than 5 dollars to produce, now they sale for approximately 2,500 (as do some other cheap machinepistols and submachineguns). other guns command hefty premiums, such as the BAR, Thompson, M-14 (real ones, not reproductions), and tripod mounted weapons (Ma Duce, MG-42 et al) all go for in the 20,000+ range. depending on condition and if they were "war babies" (issued in WWII is a hefty premium as well) plus museums frequently snap up rare or desirable weapons (my Gewehr 98 (WWI, bolt action) was bought by a museum here in Birmingham) and they have much more disposable income than me, driving up prices further.

Now, Silencers, are still legal to produce, and cost approximately 500 for the item (including paperwork) depending on caliber, and dB reduction (how much more silent does it become).

Short Barreled rifles are still legal to manufacture (and possess) as long as you pay the tax, and retail just over the cost of a non-SBR variant.

Destructive Devices and Any other Weapon are weird and I don't fully understand the laws regarding them. I THINK DD's are illegal to produce, but their still available probably the same way as Machineguns (pre-1986 manufacturer) AOW's are a catch all classification for stuff that doesnt fall neatly into any other category, I THINK flame throwers and pistols that fire rifle cartridges fit in here.

The BATF has lots of complex definitions to discourage people from legally trying to obtain any of the regulated weapons, but its not so hard to do, you simply write them for a copy of BATFE Form 4, you check off what you want to pay the tax on (serial number and what they classify it as) pay the tax, usually 200.00 but AOW's are 5.00 I believe. you send it in. theres a lengthy background investigation (beyond what goes on when you purchase a normal gun) and if you become the registered owner of the weapon or item you applied for, if denied you cannot purchase the item.

So basically theres a few steps:

0) Request a copy of BATFE form 4, make copies, practice filling it out correctly
    1) Find something you want to buy
    2) Pay for the owner to hold it until paperwork is complete (layaway)
    3) Fill out paperwork CAREFULLY (the ATF is anal like the IRS)
    3b) Have CLEO sign off on paperwork, bribery works well (contribute to your sheriffs reelection campaign)
    4) Send paperwork, certified mail
    5) Wait
    6) Wait some more
    7) Continue waiting
    8) Receive approval
    9) finish purchase

also the paperwork is a long long long long process, several pages, you CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) must sign off on your paperwork before you send it to the BATF. Sheriffs, Prosecutors, Chiefs of Police can sign.. a few others.

I'm sure I've omitted a few steps, and stuff needs clarification, but I've probably already bored everyone to tears at this point.

But its a long tedious process that takes a month at best and 3-5 at worst.

DP4M:
    Could I get a Burt Icon added for me in the list :D

25. ARC-77

ARC-77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Hey, all, thought I'd come in and post on the new board. I completely missed the announcement for this, thought the site had gone screwy or something when this came up instead of the old Lit board :oops:

Rohniss: That's a very impressive collection. I envy you. Unfortunately, I'm jobless and too young. :(

You might like this site, though. There's all kinds of nice stuff there you might like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.