main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Don't forget the apples!

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    - Lightsaber Duel
    - A young upstart who needs a smack down
    - Big ass space battle

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for bringing the thread out of retirement! I'm sure it will cause even more endless "Debates" ;)

5. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    Lots of hood things in the original list but I REALLY hope we don't get any slow motion action scenes. I REALLY hate those. Do any of Abrams movies use those?

Sarge, FRAGWAGON and Mystery_Roach like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't know but I agree that they don't belong in Star Wars unless there's a good reason for it, like the Dagobah cave scene.

7. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    In general I don't like slow motion action scenes in any movie. I was fine with it in the Matrix since that was normal speed for Neo but in general I don't like it.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed. Again The Matrix is a case where there's a story reason for it, but otherwise, unless it's a case where it suits the movie for the action to be viewed in a particularly poetic or balletic way, I don't like it either, and I especially don't like speed ramps where it goes in or out of slow-motion in the middle of a shot. Although once again, The Matrix is an exception because it fits the story and the Wachowskis are probably the most artistically successful action filmmakers there are, in my opinion at least (with the possible exception of GL, of course).

9. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Cinematography makes up a LOT of how a Star Wars film feels. If we are going by the "Star Wars" template, then nothing fancy. I always feared J.J.s "shaky cam", or worse the "fly-overs" used in Star Trek with people walking down the halways. And lens flare, ok, let's skip that.

But George Lucas isn't perfect. Still to this day the Cave scene in ESB always feels a little off. Obviously ESB is GREAT, but that scene always feels weird. Later on in the PT I didn't like the the shaky-zoom-in cam used in the battle Geonosis, also the Anakin/Padme dream sequences were out of place too.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    While I agree with most of what you stated I thought the cave scene was great in that it was filmed in such a way as to give one the surreal feel of the vision that Luke saw. Also, I think it was another way in which George pushed himself to be different while maintaining the right "feel" for what he wanted SW to feel like. A couple more examples I would cite that I think work really well include the end of TESB when Luke is calling to Leia and Leia is sitting in the Falcon and we see the rapid super-impositions. I had never seen it done in such a way before that movie. Now, I know George didn't direct TESB but as producer he had a lot of say in how those shots were filmed since he was actively involved in the editing phase where those shots are made.

Lastly, his use of the prophetic dream sequence in ROTS was also different by SW or George's standards but pushed the way SW could feel. I thought it worked well.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The shaky-cam on Genosis was nowhere near as awful as the Bourne sequels.

12. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Don't get me wrong, I'm just finding something to nitpick about in the OT and PT. Heck, if J.J. followed any the filming styles from OT to PT, I would be pleased as punch!

My fear is J.J. Abrams hired Dan Mindel the "Star Trek" cinematographer to film EP7 :( I hope it looks nothing like Star Trek!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Regardless of any flaws Lucas may have as a filmmaker, he's still a very good one (something oft overlooked). In terms of technical direction, and framing of shots etc, he's got quite a subtle approach and very seldom overdoes or overuses anything. I can certainly see that he's perhaps not an actors director... but many great filmmakers aren't.

FRAGWAGON, Echo-07 and Mystery_Roach like this.
  14. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes, same was said of Hitchcock.

Echo-07 and Mystery_Roach like this.
  15. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    People will recall that when George was writing Episode I - there was no deal yet in place for Fox to distribute that film or its sequels.

So, there was still a possibility the prequels would have been distributed by another film company. Of course, Lucas went to Fox first and they had a deal on the spot.

This time, we know, it is different with Disney running the show.

Sadly there will not be the fox fanfare before the crawl. Maybe they can devise a new 'Lucasfilm' opening with some music? That would be neat.

16. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't think we will see the Disney intro to be honest.

I think there will be a new 'Lucasfilm' intro to signal in a new era.

Echo-07 likes this.
  17. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    True. Just because LF is owned by Disney doesn't mean the castle logo will appear. Marvel's owned by Disney, but their movies just start with the Marvel logo. No castle in sight.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    IIRC, the only other shot that's in slo-mo is the shot of the wampa's arm falling.

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's interesting. I just finished watching TESB and I didn't notice that.

20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Why not? Aside from the gratuitous lens flares, which JJ has since acknowledged, those films look beautiful!

IMO, NOT being a Trekker, I think the new Trek are better movies than the old ones. Let's say I'm a kid right now, JJ's Trek would've have turned me into a Trekker for sure.

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Couple of things... firstly, I don't have an issue with the cinematography/lighting of Star Trek (sans the lens flare of course). At least they are actually lit like movies unlike many of the Marvel films which are lit like 80's television.

Secondly... Of course kids are going to be more into JJ's Star Trek, just as they are more into the PT and contemporary superhero movies, but that doesn't have a bearing on quality per se. :)

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I suppose you're right. But my point is that IF I were a kid today I would have been pulled into the Trek universe -- all of it -- through JJ's Trek, NOT watching re-runs of old Trek or TNG. BUT I still think today's Trek is better.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I've always thought that the general "static-ness" of shots in Star Wars is one of the things that keep the films from looking dated. I do hope Abrams and Mindel don't use the "wrap around" long continuous shots that they used in the Trek movies. It just strikes me as too trendy for Star Wars.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, Abrams uses those sparingly. I think one or two continuous long-takes might be really cool to see. I wouldn't mind the movie having some of Abrams flair in it, just not where it overtakes the Star Wars style. Some flair (or flare) ain't bad. It just depends on the viewer if there's too much or not enough. I think Abrams is too big and well-respected and well-known of a director to not throw some of his stylistic quirks into it.

I don't think it'll look like Star Trek (which look fine on their own because Star Trek doesn't really have a style), I'm thinkin' more like Super 8 which looks more like a Spielberg movie than a Abrams movie. But you can definitely see Abrams in there.

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He's a hipster, he's gonna do hipster stuff.

Dasan likes this.