main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The little things you love about each movie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MaccaJack, Jul 12, 2010.

1. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    TPM: Palpatine being "The Phantom Menace", the way it tells his story without being the main focus.
    AOTC: Palpatine looking over his sea of clones, hearing The Imperial March for the first time in all its glory.
    ROTS: Anakin's eyes before the mask is put on.
    ANH: The Cantina. A sort of sleaziness that's rarely seen in the saga. Great atmosphere.
    ESB: "You will be... you will be."
    ROTJ: Jabba's palace, more of that Tatooine sleaze. Also, the crazed look in Luke's eyes after he chops Vader's hand off.

2. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    TPM: Daultay Dofine ("Acdevate ze dwoids.")
    AotC: Wat Tambor adjusting his speech dial thingies
    RotS: The aforementioned flipping on of Palpatine's robe and he becomes The Emperor
    ANH: The rebel pilot characters
    ESB: Vader pwning Han when Han tries to shoot him
    RotJ: Arvel Crynyd's kamikaze strike
    CW series: Grievous slaughtering people right and left
    TCW series: Mar Tuuk's voice and "groovy club shoes"

3. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    ANH- Opening scene with Star Destroyers, awesome as a kid in '77, plus the scene with Luke staring at the twin suns with Williams' score, awesome again.

ESB- Imperial March, Seeing a huge Star Destroyer, plus I don't know why but I love the sound effect of the "twang" when Luke/Vader are on the skywalk and both of their sabers hit the railing. Surprise twist of Vader as Luke's Dad.

ROTJ- The entire end space battle, nothing has topped in yet filmwise, Leia is Luke's sister, seeing Vader's face for the first time.

TPM- Hmmm, not a big PT fan but Duel of the Fates was decent, sabre duel was decent as well.

AOTC- Asteroid chase scene

ROTS- The younglings....didn't see that one coming....

4. Merchandising

Merchandising Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2010
    I really loved how Lucas planted the notion that Sidious, or his master, had created Anakin. It was really subtly done, and left ambiguous and I for one loved it.

I also always kind of liked how the whole saga was book-ended by similarly perceived races winning the day. (Gungans / Ewoks.) Regardless of fan-reaction or popularity, they both seem to have the same sort of status / role in the SW universe and I always thought that was quite a nice touch.

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, Naboo had its trees too. And a funeral pyre.

6. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    TPM: Japor snippet
    AOTC: Kamino cloning scenes
    ROTS: Anakin killing younglings/Birth of Darth Vader
    ANH: All of the droids Tantooine scenes
    ESB: When Yoda refuses to teach Luke
    ROTJ: Jedi rocks musical number

7. Merchandising

Aug 18, 2010
    I?m with you on the Japor snippet thing.

Jedi Rocks, definitely not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0LD-QAzg0

8. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    ANH- Obi-wan's explanation of a lightsaber, and luke being clumsy with it, and so in awe of it's power. It truly does feel like a noble weapon.

ESB-My favorite would have been something my girlfriend thought if it wasn't a misconception; we watched it together recently, and when the medical droid on hoth says his goodbyes to Han, she thought the droid was legless and attatched to the medical table, and thought the rebels had no choice but to leave him to die. the scene works oddly well in this way, both Han and the droid have these attitudes of noble resignation, viewed in that lens it was almost a tearjerker. However, the droid does have legs, and did escape according to wookiepedia.

Barring that, Boba Fett. On another thread people would argue how small of a part he had, but this thread is ABOUT the little things. So i can actually say he's my favorite here.

ROTJ- Scout troopers, Scout troopers, and Scout troopers. And their speeder bikes. They all count as the same little thing.

TPM- I really do like Naboo Starfighters.

AOTC- The design of Kamino.

ROTS- I actually have to agree with the slaughter of the Separatist council. It's so final and sinister and embodies the good parts of this movie.

9. Derrville

Derrville Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2010
    TPM: Obi Wan saying "Why do i have the feeling weve picked up another pathetic lifeform?", "Theres always a bigger fish", Anakin meeting the Jedi Masters and their discussion about his mother, Qui Gon and Shmis convo about Anakin having powers and he was born with no father

AOTC: "Why do i have a feeling you're gonna be the death of me?", Anakin looking for his mother and killing the sand people, "Begun the clone wars have", Dooku trying to suduce Obi Wan to the Dark side

ROTS: "Dont make me kill you." "Anakin.. you're breaking my heart!" Order 66, Anakin killing the younglings, Anakin crying on Mustafar,

ANH: Luke and Obi Wan in his house, Han Solos "No match for a good blaster" crap, Luke looking at the twin moons, Luke and the Storm troopers missing each other badly then Lukes able to shoot a 6 inch control panel on his first try.

ESB: Leia Kissing Luke, everything about the Luke Vader duel, Vader basically proving smug Solo wrong by blocking his "good blaster" shots with his BARE HANDS

ROTJ: "Im a jedi like my father before me", "Father help me please!", Yoda dying

10. Merchandising

Aug 18, 2010
    Just thought of another:

R2D2 knows EVERYTHING.

He's always the more er, dominant? of the droids.

And once it's established that he's seen it all by episode 4, well, I just like that.

And he's silent essentially.

But knows everything.

Genius.

11. Derrville

Derrville Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2010
    My nephew loved TPM and ive watched it like 10 times in the last 3 days or so.. but the movie actually gets better and better to me. One small thing that i love is the scene where Anakin leaves his mother. Its such a simple little scene but has so much emotional weight. I love the lines, "Be brave and dont ever look back. Dont ever look back." So beautiful!

12. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    It does improve with multiple viewings, yeah. I thought it was enjoyable but kind of jarring the first time I saw it, but the second time it was a lot better.

I still hate the scatological humor though.

13. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    TPM: "Roger roger."
    AOTC: Yoda pulling out his lightsaber.
    ROTS: R2-D2 owning the super battle-droids.
    ANH: Han stepping on Jabba's tail.
    ESB: The toolbox falling on Han.
    ROTJ: The Imperial Officer saying, "You rebel scum."

14. DragonMaster_85

DragonMaster_85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2007
    Ep. I: Watto (specifically the voice/accent), Quinlan Vos, Liam Neeson period.
    Ep. II: The entire arena sequence, start to finish. Christopher Lee as Dooku, Obi Wan's "You'll be the death of me" line.
    Ep. III: Chewbacca, the "Tarzan" Wookie. Heck, Wookies period.:D Bail Organa's reaction to the young Jedi being shot.

Ep. IV: The cantina, Vader vs. Kenobi, R2's rocking/whistle during the ceremony.
    Ep. V: Han/Chewie trying (unsuccessfully) to fix the Falcon, Lando's intro, "I know", Yoda's "Away put your weapon..." line.
    Ep. VI: Entire Jabba sequence, redone ending (minus Hayden Christiansen)

15. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    seeing the pilot blown out of his ARC 170 in ROTS & the same thing during the asteroid chase in ESB.

Artoo's scream in ANH when Vader blasts him.

The smoking Ewok

Obi-wan and Anakin's banter during the opening of ROTS

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I: The way Kenobi's face twitches in anger -- just for an instant -- before the energy door comes open and that incredible duel with Maul ensues.

II: Padme's little peck-on-the-cheek she gives Anakin astride the Reek.

III: Yoda's sigh when Kenobi wants to look at the video in the Temple. He knows who's responsible, and he wants to protect Kenobi from the pain of knowing. That is a terrific character moment right there.

IV: Pretty much every frame, but the werewolf with the red-glowing eyes slurping a drink from its cup (now replaced in the SEs with the water-pipe smoking alien hipster) is probably my favorite shot in the (original version of the) film.

V: Every single frame, but somehow Chewie's howl when the Echo Base doors close, and later when we see Leia's reaction to Slave I taking off from Bespin, get me every time.

VI: The pipe-smoking Ewok. Priceless.

17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    TPM -- How tenderly demonstrative Qui-Gon is with little Anakin. Count the number of times he caresses his hair or touches his shoulders.

AOTC -- The immense pleasure with which Obi-Wan greets Dex.

ROTS -- Palpatine's twitchy hand, as he reveals his identity to Anakin in the office. Seems like he doesn't quite know how this is going to turn out.

ANH -- Obi-Wan's exasperated look, as Chewie barks his response to the "Who's more the fool?" line. As if Obi-Wan understood what the Wookie said.

TESB -- The icy glare Leia gives to Vader, as Han says goodbye to Chewie.

ROTJ -- The wailing, obese Rancor keeper. A nice character moment.

18. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    As character interaction is one of my favorite parts of telling a story, most of my favorite little moments are quotes.

TPM: Qui-Gon deactivating his lightsaber as he clips it back to his belt on Naboo, then doing a Force push on some droids. I always thought that was so cool.

AOTS: Obi-Wan trying to calm Anakin in the elevator before meeting Padme by lightly teasing him about the nest of Gundarks.
    "You fell into that nightmare, Master. And I rescued you, remember?"
    "Oh. Yes." *knowing chuckle*

ROTS: Anakin and Obi-Wan's elevator hijinks on the Invisible Hand.
    "What was that about?"
    "Well, R2 has been--"
    "Eh...no loose wire jokes."
    "Did I say anything?"
    "He's trying."
    "I didn't say anything!"

ANH: All the times Han called Leia "your worship" or "your worshipfulness" or any names used to tease her about her nobility.

ESB: Goodness, Han and Leia have some great moments in this one and I enjoyed all of them.
    "Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
    "It might!"

"Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited."
    "Sorry, sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else."

And so on...

ROTJ: Han accidentally knocking Boba Fett into the Sarlacc pit.

19. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    ANH-The Jawas loved the first time I saw them.

ESB- At-At Walkers 'nough said.

ROTJ- "Tell your sister you were right about me." Anakin relizes he wasn't the Father he should have been and wants Luke to smooth it over.

TPM- Watto he was the perfect comady break for that film. Jar Jar should have taken notes.

AOTC- Obi-Wan vs. Jango

ROTS- "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you" summed up the next 3 films. Obi-Wan holding on through Luke to redeem a Father & a friend.

20. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    TPM: "Mind tricks don't work on me, only money!", Neimoidians in general.

AOTC: Padme's midriff, seismic charges, Geonosians.

ROTS: "It's treason then.", Yoda's dizzy spell after Anakin joins the Sith, "Jedi scum!"

ANH: Binary sunset, the mouse droid fleeing in terror before the mighty Chewbacca!

ESB: Taun Tauns, Slave I, "Ee chuta!" "How rude!"

ROTJ: Cry baby Rancor handler, adorable baby Ewok.

:D

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

AOTC: Anakin- "Then we decided to come rescue you" Obi-wan- "Good job!"

TESB: When Han just bangs the falcon to make the lights come back on

22. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    ESB : C3PO's suprised and baffled look at Han and the other two when Leïa is kissing luke so hot to upset Solo, during the Hoth medical room scene. He really seems to wonder what they're doing and what this is all about. Really short but really funny.
    Chewie's glance and mumbling at Solo is really good too.

23. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    TPM: Qui Gon's affection for Shmi (suggested by Liam during filming); Jar Jar stepping in dung as he walks into Mos Espa and his comment about the sun doing murder to his skin; Anakin's claim that Jedi can't die and Qui Gon's reply: "I only wish that were true".

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is one of those types of threads that I love reading, but have a hard time coming up with content for... because I just get overwhelmed trying to narrow my ideas down to a focused list; there is just so much great stuff in these films. Having said that, though, I especially like the two lists below. =D=

25. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Luke choking the Gamorrean Guards

Luke's line as he's being led out of Jabba's court "That's the last mistake you'll ever make"

Luke tapping his helmet when he first hears Obi-wan talk to him during the trench run

in ANH, everytime i see a shell eject from blaster

Vader, in the original ESB, "Bring my shuttle"

Vader, in the SE ESB, being walking to his shuttle

The 3 stooge Pit Droids in TPM

Padme's many and varied outfits