main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends THE LIVING FORCE (NJO: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, H/L, L/M, Kyp, more) Completed 1/7/05!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Jun 21, 2004.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    just giving this a quick bump so I can put the new post on a fresh page ;)

2. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 5: Gray Truth

It was an unremarkable point in space, near no habitable star system, that the Gray Truth resided. The ship drifted without purpose in the black, giving its passengers the two things they needed to complete their goal-- time and solitude.

It was surprisingly sleek in design for having been cobbled together from an old merchant freighter and a handful of other starships on Tatooine. The large rectangular body could accommodate one hundred passengers, so the four dozen aboard were an easy fit. Fixed to the long hull were two tubular fins and the transpersteel viewports on the bridge were above a downturned nose that gave the craft the appearance of a hawk.

Its maiden voyage had been an emergency evacuation of their base on Tatooine, when it was discovered by enemies. It seemed like years now, but was in reality only a couple of months. Gray Truth had first traveled to Csilla...

She was standing in the long cockpit while two pilots worked the systems and she stared out the transpersteel. A thick black robe covered the gray uniform of her new order and her auburn tresses were braided behind her head. A touch of rose still colored her milk white skin and beautiful brown eyes seemed to keep her round face in balance.

"You did well, Leia," said a sultry voice from behind. "It is only a matter of time now."

Princess Leia Organa Solo turned to see the speaker-- a tall woman with sharp brown locks and long elegant legs. She wore a somewhat revealing black dress, but wrapped in heavy robes of the same color.

"Yes, My Lord," Leia replied, bowing low to her master. "It will all be over soon.

"Indeed," Callista Ming said, walking beside Leia to see the tapestry of white lights on the black mat of space from the viewports on the bridge.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Callista asked rhetorically. "So many stars..."

Leia said nothing, gazing out from behind the pilot’s seats and control boards stoically.

Callista suddenly stopped her gazing and turned to look deep into Leia's eyes. "You power is growing, Leia."

She knew it was true. In her time with Callista and the New Potentium, Leia had learned so much about the Force and herself... It was as if the doors were suddenly opened and the shades raised. Everything was clearer. Simpler.

Leia had learned more about becoming a Jedi in two months under Callista's tutelage than she had in her years of sporadic training with her brother Luke. It wasn't that Luke was wrong necessarily, only that his teachings were incomplete and restrained by fear.

"I have learned a great deal here," Leia agreed.

"Yet you still have reservations about this."

"Yes," Leia admitted. "I still wonder... I hope for a better way."

"What could that possibly be?" Callista questioned. "They are evil, Leia. An abomination that does not exist within the Force. They are not really alive. They are destroying this galaxy, destroying us-- and now we can stop them. Do you not believe this is just?"

Leia ran her fingers over her braids while considering Callista's question. "I went to Csilla and retrieved what we needed, didn't I? They robbed me of my child and will continue to take the lives of trillions if they are not stopped."

Leia cut herself short as she was reminded of Anakin, her youngest child... her baby. The Yuuzhan Vong had killed him as they had Chewbacca. Both died as heroes, but their deaths seemed meaningless to Leia.

She had hoped that a peaceful resolution with the Yuuzhan Vong and a part of her still yearned for it, but Callista had helped her see that it was not possible. Callista had opened her eyes in the same way she had liberated Leia in her views of the Force.

Leia was truly free now.

Understanding that there was no dark side of the Force was the first step, realizing this meant there was no light side either, was next. The Force was one, not divided by sides, or separated by tincture. It was as gray as Callista's haunting eyes. It was all life.

Leia no longer feared the dark side, because it did not exist. The chains that had once bound her were now her freedom. Emotion was a place to draw strength, even her anger and grief over Anakin. She could use the Force in ways she’d never dreamed of before, and would have been too frightened to attempt before joining the Potentium.

Leia pulled her dark robes together. She was the fastest ever to attain the rank of Potentium Jedi Knight-- Raynar Thul, long thought dead, had been with the Potentium for almost two years and still not achieved the feat. Leia was even ahead of former Shadow Academy students, Lomi Plo and Welk, and Callista had taken the former Chief of State of the New Republic as her personal apprentice. While everyone in the Potentium was learning from Callista, she had taken Leia on in the same way Welk was Lomi's apprentice-- she was training her daily.

Leia knew she was special. Yet, it was not only her ties to the Alliance government that allowed her to steal the weapon which made her feel that way. It was her ability in the Force. She'd never thought she would reach her full potential as a Jedi, having started training so late in life, and being too preoccupied with running a new government under constant threats to really concentrate on the Force and Luke's teachings. Now she was powerful-- The most powerful Jedi in the Potentium order, and soon she would be even more skilled than Master Ming.

"You did retrieve it, Leia," Callista admitted. "We could not have done this without you."

Leia nodded, staring absently out the viewport at the sea of lights. "That's exactly what frightens me."

“It’s what must be done,” Callista responded.

"I know."

Leia watched one of the pilots run his hands over the blinking panels on Truth's controls. Both pilots were non-Force users, as most in the order were, who had joined the Potentium to assist them in their common goal-- to eliminate the Yuuzhan Vong threat forever. His movements suddenly reminded her of her husband. It had been so long since she'd seen Han; her body ached at the thought of him.

What would he think of what she was doing? Leia knew Luke and her son Jacen would not understand... they couldn't. Jacen had great empathy for all, but he would be ashamed of her. Jaina might... when Anakin died, a great rage had driven her to what they thought was the dark side. What would Han think?

Leia realized that there were two sides of her pulling at the threads of those thoughts. On one side, she would want her family to understand her actions, and learn the truth of the Force. But as a mother, she was frightened by the thought. Every maternal instinct within her was telling her to keep her children away from the robed figure beside her-- but what did that really mean?

Should her children stay away from her as well? That was why she hadn't attempted to contact them or anyone else. She didn't want them to know what she was doing. It wasn't shame as much as fear of leading others into danger.

Should I even be here then?

It was all very confusing but she knew there was no going back. Her veil had been ripped away and there was no hiding from the truth. She couldn't unlearn what she knew of the Force. When she walked into the Chiss labs deep beneath the ice of Csilla, Leia had committed herself.

"I need to know that you will be with us to the end," Callista stated. "We cannot have you roaming off when this happens, or trying to stop it."

Leia's eyes filled with tears again. "I won't. I couldn't if I wanted too... I will see our task completed."

Callista nodded. "I am pleased to hear that, My Apprentice."

Days of what Leia had once thought were manipulation and torture had gotten her to where she was today, led her to the truth. She remembered thinking Raynar had been brainwashed, and him insisting that he was not when she came to the Potentium base. Callista's manipulations were not what they appeared-- she was teaching. It was clear that the Yuuzhan Vong had to be wiped out at any cost and the dark side was not to be feared in instituting their extermination, because it did not exist.

The doors to the cockpit slid open and two more cloaked figures entered. The lead figure walked with both strength and grace, long legged and broader through the shoulders than most women. Her heavy boots clicked on the deck as she approached Callista and removed her cowl to show dark golden skin and black hair.

"Welcome, Lomi," Callista said, turning to face the two Jedi, "and Welk."

Lomi's apprentice pulled his own hood away to reveal his marred flesh and sharp blonde crop of hair. It was clear that Welk's use of the Force was taking a toll on his body, from his pale sneering lips to the reddened flesh around his eyes. It was not the dark side, Callista had said, but the Force reflecting that which was inside the young man.

"We come with news from the lab, Master," Lomi announced, the prominent bones in her jaw protruding intensely.

"Let's hear it then," Callista agreed, taking a seat in one of the long cockpit's many chairs and gesturing for the others to do the same. Leia took the chair next to her master while Lomi and Welk gave belated bows and sat across from them.

"Our scientists are done, My Lord," Lomi began. "They have refined the virus and they now understand how it works-- they're ready to release it."

Callista's lips spread into a large smile, which was a rarity on the woman's chronically sober face.

"Then we are ready," She announced.

"Yes," Lomi agreed. "We need only to decide how and where to implement our attack.

Callista shook her head. "I have already decided where, there can be no discussion in this. If we release the virus anywhere else, it may give the Yuuzhan Vong shapers time to counter. We must cut off their head on the first strike. Unfortunately, this also increases the danger to us... but Alpha Red must be released on Coruscant."

Lomi and Welk nodded in agreement while Leia continued to stare as if her face were made of stone.

"What of Skywalker and his Jedi?" Welk asked. "Word is sure to reach his ear soon. He is certain to know of the Potentium after Kyp Durron and Han Solo attempted to infiltrate our base. When the Alliance learns of Alpha Red's theft, they will put two and two together."

The mention of her brother, Luke and husband, Han did drawn Leia's gaze to the blonde haired man, and out of her trance. Callista had told her how Han and Kyp had come to the Potentium base in hopes of rescuing her-- it was why they'd evacuated the base to begin with.

Leia was happy Han hadn't been successful in his attempt and Callista had assured her that she had not harmed either man, but the hatred in Welk's voice when he spoke their names sent a chill down her back.

"Yes, they will put it together, and Luke knows me well-- knew me well," Callista clarified. "He will be able to predict our actions, which will add another complication. But we cannot let it stop us."

"We will not," Lomi said confidently. "Their order is weak."

"That may be," Callista agreed, " but they are more numerous than us, and are tied to the Alliance. What secrecy we have is our strength. We must utilize it."

"What about our Princess?" Lomi asked, a hint of condescension in her heavy voice. "She knows Skywalker and his Jedi as well as anyone-- as well as the Alliance. They may predict our moves, Master, but Leia will be able to predict theirs. They still have no idea Leia has joined us. They will assume she is a prisoner."

Callista nodded. "Raynar Thul may be of some help as well, having served in Skywalker's order for several years."

Lomi and Welk unenthusiastically agreed with their Master. Leia had gotten the impression that the former Shadow Academy students had little respect for any of the Jedi under her brother's tutelage.

"I will assist you in avoiding Luke and the Alliance," Leia announced, "but I will not allow anything I tell you to be used to hurt them."

"We have no desire to hurt them," Callista promised, laying a reassuring hand on Leia's wrist. "I would never harm Luke, or any of the Jedi."

Leia nodded, seeing the sincerity in her eyes.

"Then it is time," Callista said. "It is time to reclaim this galaxy and wipe the invaders and their taint from it forever."

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    YK: Just a few more hours ;)

Yippee! :D

I believe you [face_mischief]

You do? :eek: [face_thinking] ;) :p

Yeah :( I know that was there intention, and I agree that they just didn't realize that killing Anakin knocked the wind out of the entire series.

Aye... what will Denning's answer be? To kill some more of the YJK, presumably...

Not that killing the YJK needn't in itself be fun...

I'm really worried about Jag Fel... [face_plain]

[face_laugh] I read that, it was great!

[face_blush] :p

And the post?!

WOW!!! :D Yoda, this thing just gets better and better...! :D :cool:

Chapter 5: Gray Truth

A title worthy of Zahn! :D

Some highlights...
    Leia cut herself short as she was reminded of Anakin, her youngest child... her baby. The Yuuzhan Vong had killed him as they had Chewbacca. Both died as heroes, but their deaths seemed meaningless to Leia.
    Perceptive, ain't she. :p But I do also like the hints at deeper motivations for her rejection of everything she believed in...
    Understanding that there was no dark side of the Force was the first step, realizing this meant there was no light side either, was next. The Force was one, not divided by sides, or separated by tincture. It was as gray as Callista's haunting eyes. It was all life.
    Wow! Superb description. Seductively elegant... :cool: [face_mischief]
    While everyone in the Potentium was learning from Callista, she had taken Leia on in the same way Welk was Lomi's apprentice-- she was training her daily.
    I'm reading too much into that sentence, amn't I? :eek: :p
    Now she was powerful-- The most powerful Jedi in the Potentium order, and soon she would be even more skilled than Master Ming.
    Oh, yeah... she's Vader's daughter, all right! :D
    "You did retrieve it, Leia," Callista admitted. "We could not have done this without you."

Leia nodded, staring absently out the viewport at the sea of lights. "That's exactly what frightens me."

?It?s what must be done,? Callista responded.

"I know."
    The dialogue, the characterization, the dark subtleties - the fact she's still so emphatically Leia! :D
    Jacen had great empathy for all, but he would be ashamed of her.
    Uh-huh...?
    Jaina might... when Anakin died, a great rage had driven her to what they thought was the dark side.
    Uh-huh...?
    "I need to know that you will be with us to the end," Callista stated. "We cannot have you roaming off when this happens, or trying to stop it."

Leia's eyes filled with tears again. "I won't. I couldn't if I wanted too... I will see our task completed."

Callista nodded. "I am pleased to hear that, My Apprentice."
    Poor Leia! Do I detect some subtle-mind control from Callista here? Or not! :eek:
    Days of what Leia had once thought were manipulation and torture had gotten her to where she was today, led her to the truth.
    And where have we heard that one before?
    The lead figure walked with both strength and grace, long legged and broader through the shoulders than most women. Her heavy boots clicked on the deck as she approached Callista and removed her cowl to show dark golden skin and black hair.
    Have I said yet that your character-description in this 'fic is fantastic!?
    It was clear that Welk's use of the Force was taking a toll on his body, from his pale sneering lips to the reddened flesh around his eyes. It was not the dark side, Callista had said, but the Force reflecting that which was inside the young man.
    She can justify anything, can?t she? :p
    Callista had assured her that she had not harmed either man
    True, from a certain, very strained, point of view... :p
    "What about our Princess?" Lomi asked, a hint of

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    YK:

That was awesome :D (as always)

So Leia was brainwashed, huh? Hopefully that won't last long.

I love seeing Leia's thoughts on what's been going on. The part about Anakin was so ironic, it made me want to cry :_| j/k :p

And they're gonna use Alpha Red :eek: :eek:

Great post, YK. Put more up soon :)

5. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thrawn:Aye... what will Denning's answer be? To kill some more of the YJK, presumably...
    Not that killing the YJK needn't in itself be fun...

I really wish he wasn't the one tasked with writing the first post-NJO books [face_plain]

I'm really worried about Jag Fel...

Yeah, I'm worried will be alive :p

WOW!!! Yoda, this thing just gets better and better...!

:cool: [face_blush]

A title worthy of Zahn!

Glad you liked it :D

Perceptive, ain't she. But I do also like the hints at deeper motivations for her rejection of everything she believed in...

Or maybe just bending it a little ;)

Wow! Superb description. Seductively elegant...

[face_blush] :D

I'm reading too much into that sentence, amn't I?

If you're thinking anything other than a normal Master/apprentice relationship, yes :mad:

Oh, yeah... she's Vader's daughter, all right!

Muahahaha [face_devil]

The dialogue, the characterization, the dark subtleties - the fact she's still so emphatically Leia!

:D thanks.

Poor Leia! Do I detect some subtle-mind control from Callista here? Or not!

I'll leave that to the reader to decide ;) I don't think I ever come out and say it besides the mentions of manipulation.

And where have we heard that one before?

Vergere?

Have I said yet that your character-description in this 'fic is fantastic!?

Thanks. Dark Paths certainly showed me how far I have to go in the descriptions department ;)

She can justify anything, can?t she?

[face_mischief]

True, from a certain, very strained, point of view...

Nah, that one's a total lie [face_laugh] She almost killed Kyp.

Hmm... I take it that for all Leia's power, Master Plo still sees herself as rather more of a free agent than Apprentice... um, Organa Solo? Vader?

She doesn't answer to Leia if that's what you mean.

Heh. I wonder why...

Yeah, I know :p when I wrote that I think I must have forgotten what the line about it said. Then when I was reading it to edit it made me laugh in that order so I left it :p

And she means it, too!

Of course.

And she means it, too!

I think she does [face_mischief]

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

:p

Just one passing thought. Would it be a little too cute for Callista to name her followers the New Jedi Order?

I hadn't even though of that, but yeah, it seems perfect :D

Amos:That was awesome (as always)

So Leia was brainwashed, huh? Hopefully that won't last long.

Who knows [face_mischief] Maybe she wanted to be brainswashed and manipulated.

I love seeing Leia's thoughts on what's been going on. The part about Anakin was so ironic, it made me want to cry j/k

Yeah, she doesn't know he's alive :(

And they're gonna use Alpha Red

[face_devil]

Great post, YK. Put more up soon

I will, thanks again :)

6. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    I really wish he wasn't the one tasked with writing the first post-NJO books

Me too... and that 'many funerals' bit worries me even more [face_worried]

Who knows Maybe she wanted to be brainswashed and manipulated.

[face_mischief]

7. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    *mumbling about Leia* Not good, not good, not good, not good...

*glances up at post* Very good, very good, very good. :D Okay, perhaps I've had a tad too much sugar tonight.. Anyhow, this was a great and very spooky post, YodaKenobi.

JD.

8. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>>Yeah, I'm worried will be alive :p<<

Hey! I like the guy, back off! ;)

FamousAmous wrote:

>>Me too... and that 'many funerals' bit worries me even more <<

Yeah, really innovative. "Kill off more Jedi! Kill off more planets. Muaahahahahaa, I´m on the bleeding edge of authorship!" I´d wish DR would anytime soon get back to writing *Star Wars* again, instead of Warhammer 40k. Also, I´d wish that Anakin be alive, George W. Bush and his whole cabinet would be sent to their own bleeding concentration camps and that I´d win a few million euros in the lottery.

Grumble, mumble, rassumfrassum...

Magnus

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I really wish he wasn't the one tasked with writing the first post-NJO books [face_plain]

You assume there will be any more... [face_mischief]

Yeah, I'm worried will be alive :p

Ah, so your J/K sympathies are starting to seep out... [face_mischief] :p

More seriously, I suspect that Denning will be killing a lot of people to hurt Jaya...

Glad you liked it :D

Aye! :D

Or maybe just bending it a little ;)

Well, she can't see the ideas that defined her life before any more... so I'd guess she's become flexible...

If you're thinking anything other than a normal Master/apprentice relationship, yes :mad:

[face_laugh] [face_whistling]

Muahahaha [face_devil]

*bamf!*

:D thanks.

Have I said how much I like this 'fic?!

I'll leave that to the reader to decide ;) I don't think I ever come out and say it besides the mentions of manipulation.

Oh? Good! :D

Vergere?

Quite.

Thanks. Dark Paths certainly showed me how far I have to go in the descriptions department ;)

I wouldn't worry about it! Different people write in different styles - DP seems to lend itself to really detailed descriptive stuff, but you have a superb way of describing stuff - people, places, emotional states - in a very brisk and vivid way...

Nah, that one's a total lie [face_laugh] She almost killed Kyp.

No permanent harm done, though...

She doesn't answer to Leia if that's what you mean.

Oh? Poor Leia! [face_plain]

Yeah, I know :p when I wrote that I think I must have forgotten what the line about it said. Then when I was reading it to edit it made me laugh in that order so I left it :p

Heh! :D

Of course.

:mad: [face_frustrated]

I think she does [face_mischief]

And so did Vergere! :eek: [face_laugh]

I hadn't even though of that, but yeah, it seems perfect :D

[face_mischief] :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

10. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Magnus: I´d wish DR would anytime soon get back to writing *Star Wars* again, instead of Warhammer 40k.

That's true, although I'd say that 40K is not as contrived as some elements of the NJO.

As to the new chapter, the idea of tweaking Alpha Red worries me greatly.

11. Morgoth_The_Enemy

Morgoth_The_Enemy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    YodaKenobi, I say this without ego(Sorry, watched Kill Bill last night); that was a chilling post. I can just imagine what'll happen too...Leia will find out that Anakin is alive, she'll try to make him see things her way and he'll end up having to fight his mum who has basically fallen into what was his nightmare : becoming the new Darth Vader. either that happens or Jacen or Jaina or Luke will end up doing the deed. and possibly dying as well...
    Yet another Excellent post YodaKenobi, I eagerly await the next installement, though I really don't want anyone I like to get killed...

12. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Amos :Me too... and that 'many funerals' bit worries me even more

Yeah, but I don't think I even care anymore. The story line is so bad now, I don't even know if I'll bother reading post-NJO :(

JDH3:*mumbling about Leia* Not good, not good, not good, not good...
    *glances up at post* Very good, very good, very good. Okay, perhaps I've had a tad too much sugar tonight.. Anyhow, this was a great and very spooky post, YodaKenobi.

[face_laugh] Thanks, JDH3 :)

Magnuskn: Hey! I like the guy, back off!

We'll see [face_devil]

Yeah, really innovative. "Kill off more Jedi! Kill off more planets. Muaahahahahaa, I´m on the bleeding edge of authorship!" I´d wish DR would anytime soon get back to writing *Star Wars* again, instead of Warhammer 40k. Also, I´d wish that Anakin be alive, George W. Bush and his whole cabinet would be sent to their own bleeding concentration camps and that I´d win a few million euros in the lottery.
    Grumble, mumble, rassumfrassum...

Well, we all have dreams :p

Thrawn: You assume there will be any more...

[face_laugh] Good point!

Ah, so your J/K sympathies are starting to seep out...

Or just my dislike for Jag's cardboard character.

More seriously, I suspect that Denning will be killing a lot of people to hurt Jaya...

Why do you think that?

Well, she can't see the ideas that defined her life before any more... so I'd guess she's become flexible...

;)

Have I said how much I like this 'fic?!

Yeah, but you can keep saying it. I don't mind :D

I wouldn't worry about it! Different people write in different styles - DP seems to lend itself to really detailed descriptive stuff, but you have a superb way of describing stuff - people, places, emotional states - in a very brisk and vivid way...

the descriptions in Dark Paths are the best I've read on these boards. Better than most pro fic.

No permanent harm done, though...

:eek: who are you? Callista?

Oh? Poor Leia!

They won't be getting along throughout this fic.

And so did Vergere!

Yeah, or so we're led to believe.

Alpha:As to the new chapter, the idea of tweaking Alpha Red worries me greatly.

They didn't really tweak it, just took it from it's raw form into something they could distribute. Thanks for reading :)

Morgoth : YodaKenobi, I say this without ego(Sorry, watched Kill Bill last night); that was a chilling post. I can just imagine what'll happen too...Leia will find out that Anakin is alive, she'll try to make him see things her way and he'll end up having to fight his mum who has basically fallen into what was his nightmare : becoming the new Darth Vader. either that happens or Jacen or Jaina or Luke will end up doing the deed. and possibly dying as well...

I still haven't seen the Kill Bill movies [face_blush] Good theories, and all ones I thought of when I was writing. I'm not saying I decided on any of those though [face_mischief]

Yet another Excellent post YodaKenobi, I eagerly await the next installement, though I really don't want anyone I like to get killed...

You'll actually be pleasantly surprised with the next post, I think Morgoth ;)

13. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Brilliantly evil post, YK. [Plaidious]Everything is going as planned. [face_devil]

I definately see the parallels between Leia and Callista and Jacen and Vergere. Jacen Solo, Sith Lord? I could see it happening. [face_mischief]

And poor, poor brainwashed Leia. :(

14. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>>Yeah, but I don't think I even care anymore. The story line is so bad now, I don't even know if I'll bother reading post-NJO :(<<

That is what I had to do with my BattleTech novels. After one novel the whole storyline just went down the drain, and I simply had to convince myself that the whole series ended with that one novel. Wasn´t fun. I hope I don´t have to do the same with the EU Star Wars. <sigh> If they´d just bring Anakin back, it would make everything much, much more enjoyable....

Magnus

15. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Whitey: Brilliantly evil post, YK. [Plaidious]Everything is going as planned.

Good to know that both you and the Scottish Sith Lord are pleased :p

I definately see the parallels between Leia and Callista and Jacen and Vergere. Jacen Solo, Sith Lord? I could see it happening.

So could I [face_mischief] It's called TUF.

And poor, poor brainwashed Leia.

Yeah :( Thanks for reading :)

Magnuskn : That is what I had to do with my BattleTech novels. After one novel the whole storyline just went down the drain, and I simply had to convince myself that the whole series ended with that one novel. Wasn´t fun. I hope I don´t have to do the same with the EU Star Wars. <sigh> If they´d just bring Anakin back, it would make everything much, much more enjoyable....

Yeah, I'm not even sure if they brought Anakin back now if it would be worth it :( seems too late (but I still want to see it!).

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    YK: [face_laugh] Good point!

Will we have to form an Alliance to Restore the Profic? Will anyone care?

Or just my dislike for Jag's cardboard character.

Hey!

Why do you think that?

His track record? Comments he's made here? That sort of thing... [face_frustrated] [face_whistling] :p :mad: [face_plain]

" ;)"

[face_mischief] [face_thinking]

[starts to wonder if there's subtext in the phrase "Master/apprentice relationship" that Yoda used earlier...]

;) [face_laugh]

Yeah, but you can keep saying it. I don't mind :D

[face_laugh] It's a great 'fic! :D You just keep getting better and better! :)

the descriptions in Dark Paths are the best I've read on these boards. Better than most pro fic.

[face_blush] Shush! :p

:eek: who are you? Callista?

[face_mischief] I'm suggesting the warped way she might see it

They won't be getting along throughout this fic.

Who?!

Yeah, or so we're led to believe.

Aye? [face_mischief]

Good to know that both you and the Scottish Sith Lord are pleased :p

Well, Palpatine is fra' Dundee...

[face_laugh]! :D!

Yeah, I'm not even sure if they brought Anakin back now if it would be worth it :( seems too late (but I still want to see it!).

Shameless plug for idle fanfic - coming soon in PDF e-book format! :p :cool:

Sorry! [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

17. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    Good to know that both you and the Scottish Sith Lord are pleased

No, he's not Scottish. Think of someone related to Star Wars who always wears plaid. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh]

His track record? Comments he's made here? That sort of thing...

I just read that interview. Apparently, Dark Journey did serve a purpose! :p And they referred to him as her! [face_laugh]

18. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I finally got caught up yesterday after my move, and went to post and got kicked off. How annoying! Callista is reminding me of an ATOC-Palpatine-like villian. All sweetness and calm, but inside you know she's rotten through and through. Leia is pretty creepy too right now. The fact that she doesn't think she's being brainwashed is even creepier. But then I guess a truly successful brainwashee wouldn't know what had happened to them.

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thrawn: Will we have to form an Alliance to Restore the Profic? Will anyone care?

I'm in :mad:

Hey!

sorry [face_mischief]

His track record? Comments he's made here? That sort of thing...

Thanks for the link. Some of my personal favorite moments were:

Denning on the writing process: Sorry! Finding inspiration is easy--just pop in a soundtrack or a video (I'm old fashioned--still don't own a DVD player). Ideas are harder--they usually involve a lot of head-scratching and staring off into space. It's not unusual for me to work a month on an outline, then start writing and realize I need to do it again.

Wait a minute! :eek: He does go back and check if it makes sense and the Myrkr mission still sounded like a sound idea to him? seriously???

Denning on TUF: Yes, I thought Jim did an excellent job. I know from experience how hard it can be to bring so many loose ends together, and I don't think anyone can complain (at least legitimately) about TUF!

So that's what TUF did, bring the loose ends together [face_thinking] Well, it's too bad I can't complain legitimately.
    Denning on Anakin's death: I can't believe I still get asked this! Anyway, the decision to kill Anakin was made by the original story team, which I wasn't a part of. But it was a good decision made for sound story reasons, and I was happy to do it. (Well, maybe `happy' isn't the right word!) It was very appropriate for that point in the story arc, and I think it was instrumental in the way the rest of the NJO developed.

It's too bad he didn't share what these "sound" reasons were, because they certainly weren't in the Myrkr mission.

Denning on the YJK: The younger knights were right for my story, but I don't know that it would have been appropriate to give them more screen time in the rest of the series.

Yes, yes. Having the kids go on an poorly conceived plan into hostile enemy territory, with little chance of survival or even a sound reason why they'd think they would succeed was perfect for your story.

Denning on Raynar: Raynar's a different matter, since I didn't really kill him. He's simply MIA.

I knew it!

[starts to wonder if there's subtext in the phrase "Master/apprentice relationship" that Yoda used earlier...]

:oops: I knew I should have used a different analogy!

It's a great 'fic! You just keep getting better and better!

Thanks ;)

Who?!

Lomi and Leia.

Well, Palpatine is fra' Dundee...

I don't know what that means :(

Yeah, I'm not even sure if they brought Anakin back now if it would be worth it seems too late (but I still want to see it!).

Shameless plug for idle fanfic - coming soon in PDF e-book format!

I don't know how my future wife will feel about you using her image that way [face_mischief]

Whitey: No, he's not Scottish. Think of someone related to Star Wars who always wears plaid.

[face_laugh] duh! I didn't even think of that.

I just read that interview. Apparently, Dark Journey did serve a purpose! And they referred to him as her!

:p

TSF :I finally got caught up yesterday after my move, and went to post and got kicked off. How annoying! Callista is reminding me of an ATOC-Palpatine-like villian. All sweetness and calm, but inside you know she's rotten through and through. Leia is pretty creepy too right now. The fact that she doesn't think she's being brainwashed is even creepier. But then I guess a truly successful brainwashee wouldn't know what had happened to them.

Yeah, but I think Callista still sees herself as good, and Palpy had given himself over to evil. True about the brainwashing ;) exactly what I meant. Thanks for reading :)

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    post coming tomorrow. Probably start the Original creature, biot, and ship guide again. Will probably have locations in it this time too, as things get sort of tedious with Coruscant districts :p

21. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Not sure I'm going to get the next post up today or not :( I'll try, but it still needs spellchecked and edited so I might not. Here's the index for now, will probably have more soon ;)

Yuuzhan Vong orignal biot/creature index

keskaa- Circular observation sac for a yammosk. Consists of a translucent wall and is filled with nutrient rich fluid.

Marook- Special gift to Supreme Overlord Shimrra from the Shaper caste. The creature stands 12 meters tall, on three clawed feet. Also has two large hands with pincers, and a serrated tail that is filled with a lethal toxin. The body of the beast is covered in black flesh and coral growths. It was shaped using a yammosk, and has similar telepathic abilities and intellect, while retaining the physical feature of the war coordinator's one prominant fang.

moylrri- Underground tube and ventricle system that feeds water through Yuuzhan'tar from the many lakes that now cover the planet.

nuur- Kilometer long worm-like creature that travels underground. Carries passangers it its hundreds of small pouches, used for storing eggs in it's mating season.

rellan- A red wood made from a Yuuzhan Vong tree of the same name.

salam'ti- Nen Yim's creation that allows coralskipper pilots to differentiate the war coordinators signal from gravitic interference created by Yammosk Jammers. They consist of a small bone-like organism that attaches to the users face and connects to the nervous system through the ear canal.

saronte'- A creature that works as an alarm, it's calls ranging from a low hum, to a high squeel, depending on the acoustics of its surroundings and the nature of its warning.

tarrerosk- large eel-like creature used for torture. Eats victims slowly while its venom stimulates their nerves to intensify the pain.

taznii holoki- A Yuuzhan Vong creature from the original Yuuzhan'tar. The taznii holoki were used to shape the voxyn by combining the creatures with vornskrs. Taznii holoki are now extint and Yal Phaath has been unable to create voxyn using cloned Taznii holoki.

twiiru- Not really sure, but Nen Yim uses the blood of this creature for something.

zotal- Creature that lives inside a door and announces visitors with a cry.

original ship index

Glorious Sacrifice- Star Destroyer sized Yuuzhan Vong craft and Nas Choka's flagship.

Gods' Wrath - Destroyer sized Yuuzhan Vong vessel carrying a yammosk in the battle on the Bimmisaari trade route. It was destroyed during the battle in "the Eighth Cortex."

Gray Truth- The New Potentium's vessel, cobbled together using an old freighter and whatever parts the group could scavenge on Tatooine.

Harbinger of Peace-Leia's diplomatic shuttle, crippled by Dest Ornax.

Integrity- Mon Calamari Star Cruiser. Garm Bel Iblis' flagship.

Irike's Lunge - Dest Ornax's ship. Stolen from Prince Irike of Reecee.

Lah's Blood- Yammosk bearing vessel named for Tsavong Lah's sacrifice. Seen in "the Eighth Cortex."

Madine-Star Cruiser named after the late Corellian General Crix Madine. It is destroyed in the battle at Mon Calamari.

Purchased with Pain- Frigate sized Yuuzhan Vong ship that was captured in the battle on the Bimmisaari Trade Route, so a team of Jedi Knights could use it to infiltrate Yuuzhan'tar in "the Eighth Cortex."

Savior- Yammosk bearing Dreadnaught sized Yuuzhan Vong vessel that the Jedi team steals and takes to Mon Calamari in the "Eighth Cortex".

Locations index

None yet.

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 6: The Prisoner

Nom Anor was startled by the sight that lay before him. When Supreme Overlord Shimrra had ordered him to his private quarters following the High Caste meeting and subsequent interruption, he'd never expected to be led to another chamber and see the secrets that resided within it.

The chamber was essentially a shaper's lab, accessible only from a secret passage in Shimrra's private throne room. The walls were made of a rigid black coral, not the normal fleshy membranes that would decorate a shaper's damutek. They were lined with red lichen that cast the phosphorescent glow over its contents and allowed the shapers to see their projects as clearly as possible. Nom Anor wondered what the light would look like to shapers when they had one of their vaa tumors implanted.

The only shaper inside was a young female adept with Domain Kwaad scaring and a demeanor of dread. To the rear of the chamber was a young yammosk laying contently in his nutrition keskaa and directly in front of the adept was a vivarium.

Through the clear membranous walls of the vivarium was the object of Nom Anor's surprise. Lying on the floor with his limbs bound by bloarsh jelly, was a human male. Burns covered much of his torso and left arm, and large chunks of his flesh were missing, exposing glistening muscle and veins to view. Whatever experiments the shaper had tried on this one, Nom Anor doubted it was a success, and could not imagine the pain the specimen had gone through.

Yet, his chest continued to raise and lower with labored breaths, and his eyes stared blankly at the ceiling above. Through the stains of blood and mutilations, was a face Nom Anor recognized. He'd met the Jedi at Yag'Dhul and knew him as the slayer of Shedao Shai. Nom Anor had led him into captivity with Jacen Solo and the other Jedi to regain his honor, but the High Perfect had assumed the man escaped with the rest.

His beard and hair were singed by what Nom Anor guessed were the same fires that marred his torso, but Corran Horn retained enough features to be identified. Only a shell of the defiant Jedi he'd last seen spitting at a room full of Yuuzhan Vong. His vacant stare and open mouth led the High Perfect to believe there was little of Horn's mind left intact.

Nearly as surprising as the Jedi's existence inside the palace, was the fact that there was not a single guard between him and the Supreme Overlord's chambers. There was only a twenty meter tunnel from Shimrra's throne room and the shaper's lab, and the Hall of Confluence was not far from that-- Shimrra must not have considered Corran Horn a risk.

"Greetings, Dread One," the shaper said, bowing deeply as the trio approached.

"Rise, Fen Kwaad," Shimrra rasped.

As the young adept rose from her knees and met Shimrra's rainbow gaze, tears welled in her eyes. Nom Anor could sense the terror. Onimi cautiously bypassed the shaper and peered into the vivarium to get a better view.

"Your research, Shaper," Shimrra began, "Have you yielded any results?"

Fen Kwaad's headdress twinned in fear and she nervously stretched the digits of here adept's shaper hand. "No, My Lord. I am inexperienced. I saw my Masters qahsa, but as you know, it was a different adept who assisted in the shaping of Anakin Solo-- I knew little of it. I can't even seem to map this Jeedai's neural pathways or get him to perform any telekinesis. I have failed."

Onimi giggled, but Shimrra silenced him with a wave of his massive hand. "I have no desire for this Jeedai to be shaped, only studied."

"Yes, I understand that," Fen Kwaad assured.

"The shapers have proven themselves worthless when it comes to the shaping of Jeedai," Onimi chided, stepping around his master's feet. "Who would wish to repeat those disasters?"

Fen Kwaad did not answer and Onimi turned his attention to the guest. "Nom Anor-- this was Nen Yim's adept-- she was found sleeping in Nen Yim's lab wearing a masquer that looked like her master."

"Do not speak her name," Shimrra chided his familiar.

Nom Anor was taken back by how open Shimrra and Onimi were being with him-- allowing him to hear the conversation with Fen Kwaad about the shaping of Anakin Solo and admitting Nen Yim's existence at all-- to do so was admitting Shimrra's lack of council with the gods. They were nearly espousing heresy before him. Perhaps they suspected his lack of faith in the gods and knew Shimrra's dark secrets would be safely kept in Nom Anor's frayed ears.

He wanted to ask more questions about Nen Yim, if she had in fact left with the Jedi and betrayed the Yuuzhan Vong, but knew better than to mention her after the Supreme Overlord had reprimanded his familiar. He let Onimi get away with more than most, and the High Perfect knew his leash was much shorter.

"Your efforts are pointless," Shimrra continued. "I am not interested in understanding the Jeedai-- they are abominations. I am only concerned with ending them."

Fen Kwaad nodded, holding back tears in the face of the enormous leader.

"We will, Supreme One," Onimi cheered on, his grin spreading. "We will!"

Shimrra patted his familiar's head and turned, noticing the crease of concentration on Nom Anor's forehead for the first time.

"What do you think?" Shimrra asked gesturing to the vivarium and the remains of a human inside. "What is on you mind?"

The questions caused beads of sweat to permeate Nom Anor's skin, as he'd long suspected the Supreme Overlord always knew what was on everyone's minds.

"Speak freely," Shimrra encouraged, his maa'it implants cycling in blues.

"But not too freely," Onimi whined, his grin twisting as he looked up at Nom Anor, clearly enjoying his discomfort.

"I... uh... I wonder, Supreme One... If you do not intend to shape this Jedi, what is the purpose of all this? There are more efficient forms of torture... like the tarrerosk for instance."

To Nom Anor's surprise, his remarks brought a deep chuckle from Shimrra and Onimi continued to smile with twisted delight. Ha hoped it was not the mention of the tarrerosk that had brought the reaction from him, as Shimrra's eel-like pet was killed during the revolt by the Shamed Ones... As was Shimrra's Marook by the Jedi. When Shimrra laughed in that fashion, Nom Anor knew he was only a split second away from bursting into rage and was afraid the reminder of the loss of his precious torture device was going to be the catalyst for that anger.

"So curious, Nom Anor," Shimrra lamented. "Always wanting to know more, to understand others so that you might undo them when the time is right."

Nom Anor stiffened at the accusation, which brought another laugh from the Supreme Overlord, his split lips pulling away far enough to reveal the pearl fangs as sharp as spikes.

"Curious, Nom Anor," Onimi whined. "Our interest in the Jedi lies in his mind, not what we can implant there."

Nom Anor barely digested this because he was too perplexed by the way Onimi had picked up where Shimrra left off, effectively finishing his thought-- as if Shimrra had wanted him to. Perhaps the Supreme Overlord had more control over the flamboyant jester than any had suspected. Perhaps his rhyming performances were more than the whims of a demented Shamed One...

"You believe Horn has vital information?" Nom Anor questioned.

"The gods have foreseen it," Shimrra maintained. "I knew it as soon as he entered my court."

Nom Anor wondered if Shimrra mentioned the gods to keep any blasphemy from the High Perfect's lips and let him know that he was still proclaiming his divine right, even in private, or if he truly believed it all.

"What information, My Lord?"

Shimrra turned back to Fen Kwaad and Nom Anor could almost hear the slight female's heart rate increase, as she was lost in the towering Yuuzhan Vong's shadow. "Were you able to retrieve his memories?"

"No, Dread One," she admitted, dropping her gaze to the floor and biting her lip. "It is beyond me."

Onimi uncoiled and let his long crooked fingers stroke the shaper's face. Nom Anor watched Fen Kwaad's lips turn in a sneer of disgust, as she fought the urge to recoil from the Shamed One's sickening touch.

"Your ignorance is obscene," Onimi taunted in a low whisper. "Your heretic master failed in more than one way... but it is not your fault, is it?"

Again, Fen Kwaad did not respond to Onimi and the lanky being finally pulled his fingertips from her cheek, and hunkered down on all fours.

"And the yammosk?" Shimrra asked. "What was it able to find in the specimen's mind?"

The adept seemed to brighten for a brief moment at Shimrra's reminder, some of the tentacles in her headdress slackened slightly at the release of tension. "The yammosk was successful. He was able to retrieved many of the Jeedai's thoughts and memories. I believe it effectively broke Corran Horn."

"And what did the yammosk learn?" Shimrra pressed. "Do not waste my time with the trivial."

Fen Kwaad nodded her assurance that she would not. "From Jeedai Horn, three pieces of information seem to be the most intriguing. The first is the existence of a hidden Jeedai base."

"The Jeedai base known as Eclipse was abandoned when the mighty Yuuzhan Vong took control of the core," Nom Anor interjected. "All of the Jedi are now relatively in the open on Mon Calamari and Kashyyyk-- most have joined the military."

Nom Anor trusted his sources were right, even if they had failed in the past. The Jedi were no longer hiding from the Peace Brigade as they were when Eclipse was created.

"No," Fen Kwaad insisted. "This appears to be a base where they hide the Jeedai children-- the next generation of our enemies. Corran Horn knows the base as the Maw Installation."

"And where is it?" Shimrra questioned.

"Apparently, it resides within a complex series of black holes called the Maw-- it is almost impossible to navigate through. It is not far from the infidel world Kessel."

"Does Horn know the route?"

"Yes, Supreme One. It appears that his wife and two children are there. The yammosk was able to obtain the coordinates and the path one must take to arrive at the Jeedai base."

Shimrra grinned broadly, his long scars framing his stretching lips in a hideous display of pleasure.

"This is most excellent, Adept. Finally, a way for us to strike back for the loss of the ship womb at Sernpidal. Their young will now suffer."

Onimi giggle with delight and Nom Anor couldn't help but smile at the thought of the slaughter of the Jedi brats.

"I will send a fleet at once," Shimrra proclaimed. "The gods will be most pleased with the deaths of many Jeedai."

"What is the next matter of intrigue, Adept?" Onimi asked, drool dripping from his long fang with the excitement of Fen Kwaad's news.

"The second matter is... less clear, I'm afraid," Fen Kwaad admitted. "Whatever it is, it seems to cause the Jeedai great fear, but also, it is strangely comforting to him."

"What is it?" Shimrra persisted

"The yammosk was unable to define exactly what it is," she explained, "But it does cause fear in Jeedai Horn... fear for others. It is known to him as Alpha Red."

"The Jeedai often fear death, fear for the lives of their infidel peoples. It is what makes them weak, what makes them infidels," Shimrra rasped. "It is interesting though, especially since it gives him comfort... Perhaps Horn finds comfort in the release of death. No doubt, he longs to die now. This Alpha Red causes him fear for his infidel friends, perhaps even the other Jeedai-- continue to probe his mind for more on the matter, Adept-- It may be important."

"Of course, Dread One."

Nom Anor was intrigued. He had never heard of Alpha red, but he surmised it was an infidel code name for some weapon the Yuuzhan Vong must have invented... but what weapon would cause Horn so much fear? What did the Yuuzhan Vong have that he would be afraid of? Nom Anor would keep his ears open for any mention of Alpha Red in the future.

"The last item of interest was quite peculiar," Fen Kwaad continued. "Jeedai Horn seems to have some knowledge of a living world... one he believes will assist the infidels in the war. It is known as Zonama Sekot."

Nom Anor's one eye went wide, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood to full attention at the words that rolled off the shaper's tongue. It was not the first he had heard mention of the living planet.

All Yuuzhan Vong had heard tell of the world, a sign of doom for their people. It was a myth.

While he was in the guise of Yu'shaa, his acolyte Ngaaluh had spoken of the discovery of such a world by Commander Ekh'm Val. According to Ngaaluh, the planet repelled a Yuuzhan Vong fleet and though Ekh'm Val escaped to report the battle to Supreme Overlord Shimrra, he was caste into the yargh'un pit to ensure word did not spread. Nom Anor had dismissed most of Ngaaluh's words as nothing more than gossip, but it was hard to deny now.

There was a living world and the infidels knew of it. If this world was powerful enough to destroy Ekh'm Val's fleet, it would pose a most terrible threat in infidel hands. The fact that the commander was killed seemed to confirm for Nom Anor, that Shimrra was frightened of the world as well.

But it was Onimi who found its mention the most distressing. Nom Anor watched as the Shamed One's brow furrowed as his lips turned in a sneer. His frail chest began to quicken its movements as he took panicked breaths.

"Zonama Sekot? Zonama Sekot?" He shouted at the young shaper, who quivered at the Shamed One's high-pitched tantrum and closed her eyes tightly.

"What is Zonama Sekot?" Nom Anor asked, feigning ignorance.

Onimi's head snapped over to face Nom Anor, heavy black shadows cast around his eyes and under his nose, as the red wall lichen painted the rest of him in a menacing hue. "That planet is evil," Onimi rasped, struggling to breathe.

"It is an abomination," Shimrra agreed. "If they have forged an alliance with the planet, then it must be destroyed... Does Horn know where it is?"

"He seems to believe it will be coming to the infidel system, Mon Calamari," Fen Kwaad answered, voice shaking. "Apparently the world is able to travel through dark space."

How could the infidels have kept such a world secret? Nom Anor wondered. In his years amongst them, he'd never heard mention of it.

Shimrra glanced down at his twisted familiar for a long moment as Onimi stared up at him. When they broke their gaze, Shimrra turned to Nom Anor. "I need time to conference with the gods on this matter. See your way out of my throne room, High Perfect."

"Yes... yes, My Lord," Nom Anor stammered, sparing a quick glance at the brutal form of Corran Horn again. His feet wanted to move, to walk out of the lab, down the tunnel, exit Shimrra's chambers, and make his way to his quarters in the intendants' damutek, but Nom Anor's feet could not budge. Not until he asked one question.

"Why have you shared his with me?"

Shimrra's eyes gleamed and focused in yellow and purple. "Because you already know," he answered simply.

Nom Anor's brow furrowed and he slowly shook his head, confused by the Supreme Overlord's statement. Suddenly, there was a familiar pain inside his head, and a strange voice followed.

The gods have turned their backs on us.

Shimrra's mental power released Nom Anor, and he gasped as his muscles relaxed and was able to breathe once again. He understood now-- because no one trusted Nom Anor, because of his lack of real faith in the Yuuzhan Vong and devotion to the True Way-- Shimrra saw him as a type of confidant. Nom Anor had long suspected that the gods had abandoned the Yuuzhan Vong when he learned that the eighth cortex was empty. Now he knew for certain, and Shimrra could tell him, because no one would believe him. Like Nen Yim, Shimrra would use Nom Anor for his talents, for his heresy.

For not the last time, Nom Anor wondered if being a High Perfect was what he really wanted.

A sea of pale flesh was barely visible in the darkness of Coruscant's undercity, lit only by the lambents the heretics held. From the duracrete balcony, High Priest Jakan watched in awe as the crowds extended as far as he could see in the void below. The Shamed Ones' roar brought new life into the elderly priest; new vigor and purpose. His new beliefs excited him in a way he had not felt since his early days in the service of Yun-Yuuzhan.

The crowd was mostly Shamed Ones, but Jakan spotted a growing number of workers and a handful of intendants in the audience. The large clearing in which they stood was lined with the wreckage of structures that once covered the planet, like the building he was standing on. Apparently, it was part of the undercity known as Dometown.

Jakan turned his attention from the wriggling flesh in the shadows to the Shamed One addressing the masses. Ruu wasn't much larger than one of the infidels and had been shamed by the gods since birth-- but after his heroics inside Shimrra's palace, the destruction of the tarrerosk, and his relationship with the Jeedai, the heretics below were captivated by his every word. It had been Ruu who'd organized the revolt inside the palace to save his Jeedai friends and using a detonator Wrev Caster had planted under his skin, he killed the tarrerosk who'd tortured so many of his brethren.

Tortured and killed at Jakan's order... The regret he felt was immense for having blindly followed and obeyed Shimrra's orders, killing the Shamed Ones in hopes they would surrender their leader Yu'shaa and Anakin Solo-- hoping they would end their heresy.

But that was all before he found out. Heresy... Jakan had learned what that really was. Shimrra was a fraud and was not conferencing with the gods. He had enlisted the help of a heretical shaper to invent new protocols and fill the eighth shaping cortex. Then Jakan learned of Alpha Red, and knew that the Yuuzhan Vong's war was not only misguided by the lies of Shimrra, it was also completely hopeless. And so, Jakan became a heretic.

He allowed himself a brief smile at the irony of that-- the highest ranking religious figure in their society joining the Shamed Ones and still thinking about them in terms of heretics. They were not heretics; they were the only ones truly devoted tot he rise of the Yuuzhan Vong. Jakan had seen first hand what the Jeedai could do and was beginning to believe they would be the salvation of his people. Anakin Solo certainly appeared to have Yun-Yammka's favor in the arena when he overcame his shaping, and the Jeedai Tahiri Veila had been the one to tell him of Alpha Red.

Jakan turned his attention back to Ruu. The young Shamed One was animated, describing his battles along side the Jeedai and what they were capable of. Beside him was a former warrior named Kunra, whose right hand was missing at the wrist. Kunra had been shamed for his cowardice in battle, and served as Nom Anor's acolyte during his reign as Yu'shaa, even assisting him in his betrayal of the Jeedai. In the end however, Kunra had helped Ruu stage his revolt and liberate the captives.

Jakan was suddenly aware that Ruu had spoken his name and the endless ocean of bodies went completely silent. This would be the first time Jakan had spoken to the heretics. They knew him as the hunter who tortured and murdered them, but by now, word had spread about his change in philosophy. Still, the Shamed Ones were more than suspicious of him and he knew they had every reason to be.

Jakan stepped forward to the edge of the balcony and the broken metal railing that bordered it. Ruu stepped aside, limping slightly from his still healing injuries, allowing the High Priest his place so that the crowds could hear him with the aid of large living pipes, known as phillemp, which amplified his voice. A young Shamed One followed Jakan to his place on the balcony. Zu'ona had once been a shaping adept, but was shamed when her body refused her implanted shaping hand.

In his hands, Jakan carried what he hoped would be a token of his sincerity-- a small shaper's qahsa. Jakan peered over the dilapidated railing, getting his first full view of those below in the lambents' light. He had preached to larger congregations before, but never any with the same spirit. His normal audiences were forced to be there as part of their society, to pay tribute to Yun-Yuuzhan, but here, not only were the Shamed One's free to leave, they were actually forbidden to be there. They came because they wanted to; they came because they believed.

Thousands of pairs of eyes stared at him, waiting for Jakan to speak and he realized he had no idea what he was going to say. His mind searched for words and Jakan suddenly decided that it didn't matter. He could abandon any semblance of eloquence and speak his mind. He could speak the truth.

"Shamed Ones," he began, "Shamed by the gods. Made to do the work of slaves and died in more dishonorable way than that of the infidels. Yun-Shuno has ignored your prayers for redemption, so you've turned to heresy.

"I have come to tell you that you are not heretics-- Supreme Overlord Shimrra is a heretic!"

Some in the audience gasped, though they must have expected such rhetoric, to actually hear the words come from the mouth of a high priest was still shocking. Then the masses began to cheer and Jakan's chest filled with pride and excitement.

"The elite freeze on the surface, while the World Brain keeps us warm beneath."

If there was a sign from the gods that Shimrra was not in their favor, the recent snow on Yuuzhan'tar was the most visible. It had never snowed on the original homewold of the Yuuzhan Vong and the fact that the heretics were perfectly comfortable in the undercity, the uppercastes were forced to wear ooglith cloakers to stay warm. Yuuzhan'tar was in the midst of a revolution and the World Brain was leading the charge.

"The Jeedai will carry your prayers to Yun-Shuno and then you will all be redeemed!"

Again, the crowd erupted with cheers and chants of Jeedai.

"I bring you proof of Shimrra's treachery, of his lies. I bring you truth!" Jakan declared, lifting the qahsa above his head in two hands for the crowd to look upon.

The vast majority in the crowd did not recognize the shaper device and none knew what it said. The handful of former shapers would identify it, but still be confused by Jakan's assertion that it was truth.

Zu'ona stepped forward to read the contents of the qahsa that had once belonged to Nen Yim and documented her heretical protocols at the behest of the Supreme Overlord.

23. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    :eek: :eek: =P~

That was awesome!! :D

That was so well written, and ... suspenseful(even though there wasn't any action). That was incredible :cool:

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Are we still doing the whole 'Onimi has half a yammosk brain in his head and is secretly running the show' deal? Because it kinda seemed like it...

2. Is Corran still alive, even if its only barely so? And if he IS alive, then why did Wrev and co. feel him die? [face_mischief]

3. What is up with Zonama Sekot(I'm sure you have a better explanation than NJO, but you're obviously saving it for later. I'm just asking for no reason :p)

Anyways, that post was nothing short of awesome. I eagerly await more :)

24. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Very nice chapter YK.

Though I hope something bad happens to Shimmra + Onimi.

25. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    :eek: *faints*

*revives* Brilliant! :D

Corran is still alive! :eek:

Shimmra knows about the Maw! :eek:

They know about Zonama Sekot! :eek:

I keep ending with ! :eek:

Though one nitpicky thing:

Shimrra turned back to Fen Kwaad and Nom Anor could almost hear the slight female's heart rate increase, as she was lost in the towering Yuuzhan Vong's shadow. "Were you able to retrieve his memories?"

"No, Dread One," she admitted, dropping her gaze to the floor and biting her lip. "It is beyond me."

Onimi uncoiled and let his long crooked fingers stroke the shaper's face. Nom Anor watched Fen Kwaad's lips turn in a sneer of disgust, as she fought the urge to recoil from the Shamed One's sickening touch.

"Your ignorance is obscene," Onimi taunted in a low whisper. "Your heretic master failed in more than one way... but it is not your fault, is it?"

Again, Fen Kwaad did not respond to Onimi and the lanky being finally pulled his fingertips from her cheek, and hunkered down on all fours.

"And the yammosk?" Shimrra asked. "What was it able to find in the specimen's mind?"

The adept seemed to brighten for a brief moment at Shimrra's reminder, some of the tentacles in her headdress slackened slightly at the release of tension. "The yammosk was successful. He was able to retrieved many of the Jeedai's thoughts and memories. I believe it effectively broke Corran Horn."

First she says she couldn't retrieve his memories, but then she says the Yammosk did. Couldn't she have just said that she did, since it doesn't really matter who retrieved them? :confused: