main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends THE LIVING FORCE (NJO: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, H/L, L/M, Kyp, more) Completed 1/7/05!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    YK, as long as you *are* writing a new storyline, I can wait a while. :) Hey, George R.R. Martins latest book in his epic storyline, A Song of Ice and Fire, has been three and a half years in the coming, and the man isn´t finished yet. If I can wait *that* long for a book, then I can wait for your story half a year, if necessary.

But that´s about it, so hurry up! ;)

Magnus

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    FB: HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO YOU ALL!!!

:D

Amos: You'll pay for that! >:eek:

Hey, atleast I chose that Jimmy Page icon right away. That's got to count for something!

I'm still catching up, I'll get there eventually

I know, don't worry about it ;)

Magnuskn: YK, as long as you *are* writing a new storyline, I can wait a while. Hey, George R.R. Martins latest book in his epic storyline, A Song of Ice and Fire, has been three and a half years in the coming, and the man isn´t finished yet.

His name sounds familiar, and so does the title, which is surprising since you say it hasn't come out yet :p A sci-fi/fantasy writer? The only science fiction I really read is Star Wars (And I guess Vonnegut and stuff in that vein, if you're someone who considers that science fiction) but I've been meaning to try some. Like the Salvatore series I think your icon is from.

If I can wait *that* long for a book, then I can wait for your story half a year, if necessary.
    But that´s about it, so hurry up!

Yeah, well I was hoping to have something going by March. Not a huge epic, but just something to keep you guys interested :p

3. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>> His name sounds familiar, and so does the title, which is surprising since you say it hasn't come out yet tongue A sci-fi/fantasy writer? The only science fiction I really read is Star Wars (And I guess Vonnegut and stuff in that vein, if you're someone who considers that science fiction) but I've been meaning to try some. Like the Salvatore series I think your icon is from.<<

Yeah, that´s Drizzt Do`Urden in my icon.
    Tip from the experienced fantasy reader: Do *not* begin with Salvatores novels. The first Drizzt novels were pretty dire, they got better later on.

If you want to begin reading fantasy, my personal recommendations are:

Dragonlance Chronicles, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, followed by Dragonlance Legends, also by the same autors.

A Song of Fire and Ice, by George R.R. Martin, which begins with A Game of Thrones, then A Clash of Kings and the last novel was A Storm of Swords. The next one will be A Feast for Crows, hopefully out this year.

I think I can safely recommend Harry Potter, it´s really pretty good reading, despite the firs two books still being a bit for kids. The series picks up tremenduosly with book three, although book five was a bit of a letdown.

If you can stand the first novels being pretty bad, the Drizzt novels by R.A. Salvator are quite nice, although they get a bit repetitive after a the hundreth time Drizzt beats the crap out of everything under the sun. :p

A lot of people like Terry Pratchets Diskworld novels, which are fantasy satire. I personally prefer them a bit more serious. :)

The first two recommendations ( Dragonlance and A Song of Fire and Ice ) are must haves, IMO. If you like a magic rich world, I´d recommend getting the Dragonlance novels first, if you prefer a low fantasy setting, with plenty of Knights and political intrigue ( and a more mature handling of subjects ), get the A Song of Fire and Ice novels.

>>Yeah, well I was hoping to have something going by March. Not a huge epic, but just something to keep you guys interested<<

Cool! :) I can´t wait!

Magnus

4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Magnuskn: Yeah, that´s Drizzt Do`Urden in my icon.
    Tip from the experienced fantasy reader: Do *not* begin with Salvatores novels. The first Drizzt novels were pretty dire, they got better later on.

Ah, they probably only stood out because I recognized the author and they always have them in a nice box set at book stores :p

If you want to begin reading fantasy, my personal recommendations are:
    Dragonlance Chronicles, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, followed by Dragonlance Legends, also by the same autors.
    A Song of Fire and Ice, by George R.R. Martin, which begins with A Game of Thrones, then A Clash of Kings and the last novel was A Storm of Swords. The next one will be A Feast for Crows, hopefully out this year.

I think I can safely recommend Harry Potter, it´s really pretty good reading, despite the firs two books still being a bit for kids. The series picks up tremenduosly with book three, although book five was a bit of a letdown.

I've never read HP but I'm sure I'll get around to it someday. My little sister forced me to watch the first movie one day when I was waiting for a basketball game to start... I was not impressed :p

If you can stand the first novels being pretty bad, the Drizzt novels by R.A. Salvator are quite nice, although they get a bit repetitive after a the hundreth time Drizzt beats the crap out of everything under the sun.

[face_laugh]

A lot of people like Terry Pratchets Diskworld novels, which are fantasy satire. I personally prefer them a bit more serious.

I think I probably would too, but I do like satire.

The first two recommendations ( Dragonlance and A Song of Fire and Ice ) are must haves, IMO. If you like a magic rich world, I´d recommend getting the Dragonlance novels first, if you prefer a low fantasy setting, with plenty of Knights and political intrigue ( and a more mature handling of subjects ), get the A Song of Fire and Ice novels.

Alrighty, thanks again :D

Cool! I can´t wait!

Sounds like the boards will be moving at the end of February (or so J-A-S said in the FADA thread) so I will probably wait until that's done. I'm still nervous my fics are going to get all jumbled, cut off, or deleted [face_worried]

5. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>>I've never read HP but I'm sure I'll get around to it someday. My little sister forced me to watch the first movie one day when I was waiting for a basketball game to start... I was not impressed<<

The first movie was a pile of steaming crap. It compiled the most important scenes of the book, but it had about zero soul. So was the second movie. The third one... that one was better. I´m interested how they´ll realize the third movie, both in terms of fitting the vast material into the film and of dealing with the noticeably darker theme that the later Potter books took.

>>Sounds like the boards will be moving at the end of February (or so J-A-S said in the FADA thread) so I will probably wait until that's done. I'm still nervous my fics are going to get all jumbled, cut off, or deleted worried<<

Best remedy against that is to compile your stories and chapters into a single document, save them on your computer ( and a CD, just to be sure ) and then re-post them as a single fic after the move, in case that something does happen.
    And if you do that, revise the first chapters in terms of grammar. :) You know that this is a pet peeve of mine. ;)

Magnus

6. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    The first movie was a pile of steaming crap. It compiled the most important scenes of the book, but it had about zero soul. So was the second movie. The third one... that one was better. I´m interested how they´ll realize the third movie, both in terms of fitting the vast material into the film and of dealing with the noticeably darker theme that the later Potter books took.

Bravo. I agree completely. trust me, the books are infinately better. I think thethird movie lives up to its inspiration.

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Magnuskn: The first movie was a pile of steaming crap. It compiled the most important scenes of the book, but it had about zero soul. So was the second movie. The third one... that one was better. I´m interested how they´ll realize the third movie, both in terms of fitting the vast material into the film and of dealing with the noticeably darker theme that the later Potter books took.

I wouldn't know :p

Best remedy against that is to compile your stories and chapters into a single document, save them on your computer ( and a CD, just to be sure ) and then re-post them as a single fic after the move, in case that something does happen.

Already done :) I guess have to read all my fics beginning to end when we move to make sure words didn't get jumbled. That will take awhile :p

And if you do that, revise the first chapters in terms of grammar. You know that this is a pet peeve of mine.

Yeah, I know ;) I was planning on tackling it when I can find a couple beta readers so I could get the stories archieved, or try to atleast.

flowerbee: Bravo. I agree completely. trust me, the books are infinately better. I think thethird movie lives up to its inspiration.

ah, well I'm sure I'll get around to checking them out eventually.

Still doing some research for fics :p I finished the HOT books, but now I have to reread Survivor's Quest and Dark Journey of all things! :p I never thought I'd be reading that thing twice.

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I still haven't read Survivor's Quest. Actually I still haven't finished TUF. LOL

Anyway here's the first of my belated reviews. What do they say about "better late than never?" ;)

Chapter 22

but Nom Anor had never taken great pleasure in being cruel. He served his own purposes and when cruelty and violence were required, he would not shy away from it, but almost never otherwise, and certainly not when it would actually hinder his plans.
    Good character point there. Love him or hate him, Nom Anor was calculatingly cruel rather than indiscriminately so.

Nice bit of scene swapping here with plenty going on in each scene. Good to see that things are not going well for any of them at this point as it makes great tension.

Chapter 23

You don't think all this tragedy has taken a toll on me too? I'm not going to allow myself to be bitten by these amphistaffs time and time again, without drawing my own weapon! I'm not going to lose another child to these monsters."

Han felt suddenly very guilty; he hadn't seen this coming. He'd had a breakdown of sorts after Chewie's death, and after Anakin's death, so did Jaina and even Jacen, in a way. It was only a matter of time before Leia lost her head too,

I really liked this analysis. People can only take so much crap in their lives after all. And Leia has had to put up with more than most.

I also like the way you have Han feeling guilty because it's true that he was too wrapped up in his own sorrows for a long time, and all that time his wife had to keep going without his emotional support.

I can't believe all he's been through... all the time we've lost-- we shouldn't have given up on him. I should have known he was alive.
    Guilt is so insidious isn't it? Typically human that even in good news we see something to be guilty about. Good characterisation.

Poor Han is really on the horns of a dilemma. Great angst.

Chapter 24

Well, yeah, there is that," Wrev replied jokingly. "Tell you what: If you get in trouble up there, just find me and I'll keep you safe."

"Man! Do you ever get tired of yourself?" Jaina asked in exasperation.

"Occasionally," Wrev answered. "That's when I seek the company of others."

LOL Pride cometh before a fall they say.

Jaina just laughed and shook her head. The last thing she need right now was another dark-haired man who was interested in her.
    Yeah - it gets a bit tedious all this attraction. Poor girl. LOL But does he have the requisite green eyes?

"We will meet their defenses with enough to defeat them-- not overwhelm. We will let them place the vaa kroz lung down, but will not take it as a foolish raa'tog would. We will destroy them all."
    Heh heh - great idiom. You should make up a list of Yuuzhan Vong idioms.

The Yuuzhan Vong fleet wasn't near the size that had attacked Mon Calamari three months before, but it was more than enough to take care of the meager defenses that were left on Zonama Sekot when it made its last jump-- five hundred starfighters, two frigates, a handful of blastboats and gunship, along with the motley group of Smuggler Alliance craft.
    That reminds me of the fleet Han led against the Empire at Nar Shadaa - nice echo there.

Love the call signs. Cool.

"Can the comm clutter," Jaina said through her headset.

"You're very strict, Trickster," Zekk replied. "I think Jagged Fel must have rubbed off on you."

LOL That Zekk has a cutting sense of humour. I like him.

Still, Luke knew it was the greatest collection of pilots he'd ever flown with-- a Jedi squadron piloting living ships. It was something special.
    Yep - one of the many things I like about this story is that you've done all the things I HOPED they'd do in the pro-fic books.

He'd perceived something new through the link with the yammosk, but hadn't been able to put a claw on exactly what they were.
    Heh heh - claw on it. Terrific.

Taking a deep breath to smell the sacrificial blood that the priests ha

9. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I still haven't read Survivor's Quest. Actually I still haven't finished TUF. LOL

Heh, I wouldn't worry about it too much :p it actually wasn't a bad book though, but no Anakin :(

Anyway here's the first of my belated reviews. What do they say about "better late than never?"

I think that's the whole thing :p

Chapter 22
    Good character point there. Love him or hate him, Nom Anor was calculatingly cruel rather than indiscriminately so.

Yes. I think the only thing that may hold him back from that type of cruelty though is a fear of making too big a splash and drawing unwanted attention.

Nice bit of scene swapping here with plenty going on in each scene. Good to see that things are not going well for any of them at this point as it makes great tension.

Yes, it's a real nail-biter :p Glad you enjoyed it.

Chapter 23
    I really liked this analysis. People can only take so much crap in their lives after all. And Leia has had to put up with more than most.

Agreed.

I also like the way you have Han feeling guilty because it's true that he was too wrapped up in his own sorrows for a long time, and all that time his wife had to keep going without his emotional support.

Yeah, I thought Han's reaction after VP was out of character (I could see him being hostile towards his family, especially Anakin, but not totally abandoning them in a time of war.) so I imagine he feels pretty bad.

Guilt is so insidious isn't it? Typically human that even in good news we see something to be guilty about. Good characterisation.
    Poor Han is really on the horns of a dilemma. Great angst.

Thanks and thanks :) This fic is actually quite a downer for about 49 chapters 8-}

Chapter 24
    LOL Pride cometh before a fall they say.

[face_laugh]

Yeah - it gets a bit tedious all this attraction. Poor girl. LOL But does he have the requisite green eyes?

I had to check to make sure :p No, I gave Wrev brown eyes, so atleast it doesn't add to that trend.

Heh heh - great idiom. You should make up a list of Yuuzhan Vong idioms.

There are probably people here who could do that better than I.

That reminds me of the fleet Han led against the Empire at Nar Shadaa - nice echo there.

It's coicidental, because I'm not sure what you're talking about :p What book was that in?

Love the call signs. Cool.

:D

LOL That Zekk has a cutting sense of humour. I like him.

I'm glad someone does :p I thought he was a bit of a jerk in SBS, and one of the major factors "poisoning" the meld.

Yep - one of the many things I like about this story is that you've done all the things I HOPED they'd do in the pro-fic books.

:D Might want to hold that praise though ;) [face_devil]

Heh heh - claw on it. Terrific.

:)

Marvellous image that - and so very Yuuzhan Vong. It's also very in character too as I can imagine the smell acting like a pacifier to Carr.

pacifier, good analogy.

Another great image. Anakin IS an artiste.

:p

And yay for the Ryn.
    Boy, Malik Carr is testy isn't he, as well as a master of self-deception. Hee hee.

He gets worse [face_mischief]

Very exciting chapters, Yoda. I enjoyed them a lot, especially some of the imagery and use of idioms.

10. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Okay, now I'm finally caught up, all I can really say is that I'm impressed.

More detailed comments may be inserted tommorrow, after I've gotten some sleep.

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks, Alpha :D

12. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Boy, there's lots going on here for a completed story. 8-}

Just to horn in on earlier conversations... I like the Harry Potter books quite a bit. I do think they just keep getting better ... though Harry was very full of angst in book 5. I'm looking forward to the next one... so is my son for that matter. ;) Of course, IMO, books are almost always better than the movies because few things can beat my imagination. I was excited to hear that the Narnia books are being made into movies but I'm also nervous about it,because
    they have been among my favs since I was a little girl, and if they don't do them justice it could ruin them for me. [face_plain]

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    TSF: Boy, there's lots going on here for a completed story.

That's because I won't let it die [face_devil]

Just to horn in on earlier conversations... I like the Harry Potter books quite a bit. I do think they just keep getting better ... though Harry was very full of angst in book 5. I'm looking forward to the next one... so is my son for that matter. Of course, IMO, books are almost always better than the movies because few things can beat my imagination. I was excited to hear that the Narnia books are being made into movies but I'm also nervous about it,because
    they have been among my favs since I was a little girl, and if they don't do them justice it could ruin them for me.

:eek: I remember reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was in elementry school and really enjoying it :) I was also pleased to hear that there would be movies soon, but I know what you mean about movies ruining books.

I have started work on a small fic to bridge this series with another. I think it's going to be called "Empire of the Hand," but I haven't decided yet :D

14. FORCEBlLADE

FORCEBlLADE Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 2, 2003
    I have started work on a small fic to bridge this series with another. I think it's going to be called "Empire of the Hand," but I haven't decided yet

Yeah, it doesn't have much of a ring to it - but that's just my opinion

15. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    I love bridge stories...makes tying the story lines together fun. Of course my memory usually needs refreshing! 8-}

16. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    FORCEBlLADEYeah, it doesn't have much of a ring to it - but that's just my opinion

Yeah. Have you read Survivor's Quest?

TSF: I love bridge stories...makes tying the story lines together fun. Of course my memory usually needs refreshing!

Yes, it's also a good way to kill time before I can iron out all the details of another series and give each of them some breathing room, so it doesn't seem like one war after another... but that's Star Wars I guess :p

17. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    Yeah. Have you read Survivor's Quest?

Yeah. Did you think that was a bad title?

18. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    No, the title was all right. I was just curious if you were familiar with the "Empire of the Hand."

19. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    *giddy as a Padawan Learner* Yippppeeeee!!!! [face_dancing] :p

And I would also add that HP is fantastic... well, the books at least. The movies aren't nearly as good as the books, but now whenever I read the books I imagine the actors instead of how I used to imagine the characters. :(

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I'm glad I waited to read the LOTR books until after I'd seen all the movies. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed them as much otherwise :p

I've got about 2 and a half chapters done on a new fic. Will probably post soon [face_mischief]

21. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    Yeah, I cheated too! ;) I didn't read HP or LOTR until I had seen the 1st movie of each. That way no conflicts with my imagination... [face_thinking]

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Smart move ;)

I might post a new fic tomorrow if anyone is interested :)

23. FORCEBlLADE

Mar 2, 2003
    I'm interested to see what you've written now!

24. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>> I might post a new fic tomorrow if anyone is interested<<

Whaaaat? New fic? Already? :)

YAY!

Magnus

25. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    Will you PM me so I can find it easily? [face_batting]